Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Official Funny, Violent, or Bizarre News Story Thread
Members of a gender reveal party in Iowa inadvertently created a pipebomb for the reveal, and shrapnel from the device killed a grandmother:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/28/us/iowa-g...index.html

Quote:Family members had hoped to build a contraption for a fun gender reveal party in Iowa, but they instead built an explosive device that killed a grandmother, police said Monday. 

"This family got together for what they thought was going to be a happy event with no intent for anyone to get hurt," Marion County Sheriff Jason Sandholdt said. 

Pamela Kreimeyer, 56, was killed when a piece of shrapnel from the device struck her in the head at the Saturday soiree in rural Knoxville, about 40 miles southeast of Des Moines. 

Members of Kreimeyer's family got together Friday to begin experimenting with "different types of explosive material" in hopes of creating a gender reveal device and recording the unveiling for friends and family on social media, the sheriff's office said in a statement. 

"On Saturday afternoon five family members and the expectant mother gathered and placed gunpowder in the bottom of a homemade stand that was welded to a metal base plate," the sheriff's statement said. 

They drilled a hole in the side of the stand to install a fuse and placed a piece of wood on top of the gunpowder, before adding colored powder indicating the baby's gender, the statement said. The idea was that once the gunpowder ignited, it would launch the powder into the air -- typically blue for a boy or pink for a girl. 

But when the family members placed tape over the top of the metal tubing, they inadvertently created a pipe bomb, authorities said. 

Once the device was lit, the metal tubing exploded, sending shrapnel flying, the sheriff's office said. 

A piece of metal hit Kreimeyer, who was standing with family members about 45 feet from the device, killing her, the statement said. 

The chunk of metal moved with such velocity that after slamming into Kreimeyer, it continued to travel more than 400 feet through the air, landing in a field. 

Kreimeyer was killed instantly, police said. The sheriff's office described her as a wife, mother and grandmother. 

Sandholdt did not immediately return CNN's calls seeking additional information, including Kreimeyer's relationship to the expectant mother and the baby's gender. 
Well, this is pretty gross:

https://www.chicagotribune.com/nation-wo...story.html

Quote:The woman had just rounded a corner while running along a steep trail in coastal California in February 2018 when she charged face-first into an unpleasant surprise: a swarm of flies. The pesky bugs quickly engulfed her, forcing her to swat them away from her face and even spit some out of her mouth. But little did she know, things were about to get much worse.

A month later, her right eye started to bother her. She rinsed it with water and out came the source of the irritation - only it wasn't an errant eyelash or a wayward dust particle.

It was a live worm, roughly half an inch long, transparent and wriggling. And it wasn't alone.

Soon after the first worm revealed itself, the 68-year-old plucked another one of the squirming critters from her eye, where it had been living in the space between her lower eyelid and eyeball.

In a rare occurrence, of which there is only one other documented case, experts say the Nebraska woman was infected by a parasitic eye worm known as Thelazia gulosa, a species normally found in cattle, according to a recent paper published in the journal Clinical Infectious Diseases. The parasites often spread among cows - their preferred hosts - through certain types of face flies that eat eye secretions, such as tears, the Oct. 22 paper said. The flying insects carry the worm’s young, and when they’re feeding, they expel the larvae onto the surface of the new host’s eye, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The flies the woman ran through were likely larvae carriers, and at least one managed to come in contact with her eyes long enough to leave the parasites behind, Richard S. Bradbury, the paper's lead author, told Gizmodo. The trail she was running on is located near Carmel Valley, an area southeast of Monterey known for cattle ranching.

"Normally people would shoo any flies near their eyes away before they could do this, but in this case the patient had run into so many flies at once that she could not shoo them all away before one expelled larvae onto her eye," Bradbury, a former member of the CDC's Division of Parasitic Diseases and Malaria, wrote in an email.

Once the woman, who was not named, discovered the two worms in March 2018, she went to an ophthalmologist in Monterey, Calif., near where she was staying at the time. The doctor extracted a third worm, which was preserved for analysis.

Still, her eye irritation persisted, so when the woman returned to Nebraska, she consulted another doctor. No worms made an appearance during that visit, but the woman was informed that both her eyes were inflamed.

It didn't take long for the woman to find and pull out what would be the fourth and final worm herself. Her symptoms finally cleared up about two weeks later, the journal article said.

Meanwhile, the worm sample was making the rounds. It was first sent to the California State Public Health Laboratory before getting forwarded to the CDC, where researchers nailed down the exact species and noticed a significant detail about the eye worm.

The worm was an adult female and her eggs contained developed larvae, "indicating that humans are suitable hosts for the reproduction of T. gulosa," the paper said.

The Nebraska woman's horrific experience was preceded by an eerily similar case involving a 26-year-old woman, who also became infected with the worms in 2016 after spending time in cattle fields near her native southern Oregon, The Washington Post's Lena H. Sun reported. In that instance, the woman had 14 of the tiny translucent worms removed from her eye.
We might be able to shut the thread down after this story.  I'm not sure we'll ever top it:

https://www.npr.org/2019/11/14/779339897...rm=nprnews

Quote:Back in May, three Indiana judges got into a fight. It was the crescendo of an incident brimming with colorful details: a gaggle of judges drinking the night before a judicial conference, a failed attempt to visit a strip club called the Red Garter, a brawl in the parking lot of an Indianapolis White Castle.

The altercation apparently started sometime after 3 a.m., when one of the judges, Sabrina Bell, raised a middle finger at two men yelling from a passing SUV, and ended after one of those men shot two of the judges.

In between, the three judges took a number of actions that "discredited the entire Indiana judiciary," according to an opinion posted by the Indiana Supreme Court this week, suspending the judges.

The court found that the three — Andrew Adams, Bradley Jacobs and Sabrina Bell — had "engaged in judicial misconduct by appearing in public in an intoxicated state and behaving in an injudicious manner and by becoming involved in a verbal altercation." Adams and Jacobs engaged in further judicial misconduct "by becoming involved in a physical altercation for which Judge Adams was criminally charged and convicted."
Somebody call the Cohen Bros., we need them on this.
You can definitely file this Papa John interview under "bizarre."

https://twitter.com/bubbaprog/status/119...0370510848
I like how it took 40 pizzas for him to determine that they weren't the same as before.
This story is awful in multiple ways. From a backseat commentator's position, it seems like a fatal combination of toxic parenting and likely mental illness (plus a big ole dollop of gun culture) resulting in a horrific situation.

(If that Facebook account is really the father's....JFC, his cover image. Whomever that account belongs to: raging, asshole racist.)

He found his wife and 6-year-old dead on Valentine’s Day. His teen son is accused of the crime.

Quote:As the sun set on Valentine’s Day, Josh Norwood hurried from work to the grocery store to buy his wife flowers. The 37-year-old father of two pulled into his long driveway in rural Virginia a few minutes before 6 p.m. — just in time for dinner.

But as he walked up to the brick home in Fauquier County, bouquet in hand, Norwood sensed something was wrong, he said in an interview with The Washington Post. Beneath the Christmas lights that still dangled from the eaves, the curtains were drawn. And when he opened the door, his effervescent 6-year-old, Wyatt, was not there to greet him.

Instead, he was met by gunfire.

A bullet that seemed to come from the basement door sliced across his forehead. As blood poured down his face, Norwood said, he ran into the small ranch house to search for his family. The lights were on in the room belonging to his older son, Levi, but there was no sign of the 17-year-old. In the living room, there was what looked like a large pile of blankets on the floor.

When he pulled back the blanket, he found his wife, Jen, 34, facedown in a pool of blood.

Underneath another blanket on the love seat was the small body of Wyatt.

“No, this isn’t real,” Norwood recalled screaming.

He said he fired his own gun, which he carries with him, at the basement, then ran out of the house and flagged down a passing driver, who called 911.

It was another day before he learned where his older son was.

On Saturday, Levi was charged with two counts of murder by the Fauquier County Sheriff’s Department, setting off a manhunt for the 5-foot-9-inch, 125-pound teen. The Liberty High School junior had fled the family’s house on foot, authorities said, before stealing a car and driving 200 miles south. He was trying to shoplift hair dye — to disguise his purple-tinted locks, authorities said — at a store in Durham, N.C., when police there arrested him.

As he grieves for his wife and first-grader, Norwood also wrestles with anger toward his elder child, whom he now refers to only as “the one who took them away.”

Norwood said Levi had been “a little depressed” recently, enough that the family had scheduled a doctor’s appointment for him Monday — three days after the shooting. But Norwood said that he was raised in a “loving home” and that there had been no “red flags” surrounding his recent behavior.

With no clear motive named in the family tragedy, Norwood has also had to defend himself against accusations of racism that some suspect played a role.

Four classmates told The Post that Levi described his father as racist. A Facebook page belonging to Norwood is adorned with a notorious white supremacist motto known as the “14 words”: “We must secure the existence of our race, and a future for white children.”

A close relative said Norwood was upset that Levi was dating a black girl.

Norwood denies being a white supremacist. He posted the motto in 2014 but said it was “nothing that I believe or stand for.”

He said he and his wife had pressured Levi to stop seeing his girlfriend shortly before the shootings because the relationship was “bringing him down,” not because she was black.

The girl, who attends the same school as Levi, did not respond to requests for comment. Her parents declined to comment.

The allegations of racism have only added to his pain, Norwood said.

“You don’t know how to feel,” he said. “All you have are just questions of why and how. How your little boy grew up to do something like that.”

'A regular family'
They met in a pet store in Maine. Josh Norwood was a teenager behind the counter when Jen Overlock walked in.

“I was a snake guy,” he recalled. “She came in and asked about ferrets, and I said, ‘Wow, I liked that.’ ”

They started dating. And a year later, Norwood proposed to her at a Pantera concert. When they married in 2002, Jen was only 16. Her mother had to give consent, the relative said.

When the couple had their first child a year later, they named him after their favorite pet: a large snake called Leviathan.

“It was a strong name,” Norwood said. “Something unusual.”

To most people, the quiet boy with dark brown eyes was simply known as Levi.

When he was about 6 years old, the family moved to Virginia so that Norwood could manage a reptile shop. Wyatt was born a few years later — the spitting image of his older brother.

Jen loved being a mother, Norwood said. Her Facebook page — with “proud mom” in the url — was filled with American flags, photos of her sons and fundraisers for their schools.

“She was very protective of both our boys,” Norwood said. “Our boys grew up in a loving household. We told them we loved them every day.”

Norwood taught Levi to fish and hunt. He also took the teen to the gun range to practice his marksmanship.

“We were a regular family,” he said, adding that he and Levi had recently started teaching Wyatt to shoot as well.

Friends at Liberty High in Bealeton described Levi as quiet but funny and engaging with those he knew well. But they also said a shadow hung over him: his family’s alleged racism.

Terrell Smith said he had been close with Levi for years but had never met his parents — something Smith, 17, attributed to the fact that he is African American. Levi had told him that his family wasn’t welcoming toward anyone who wasn’t white.

Levi was friendly and accepting of all kinds of kids, said Jerry Hernandez, 16, another classmate. That’s why it surprised him when Levi would make comments about his family’s intolerance.

“He used to talk about how his father was a racist,” said Jerry, who met Levi in the seventh grade. He said Levi lamented being unable to bring certain friends around his father because they were black.

The close relative supported their claims.

Josh and Jen were “really prejudiced, as much as I hate to say this,” said the relative, who spoke on the condition of anonymity for fear she would upset the family.

“When Leviathan was just 3 years old, [Josh] used to say the n-word all the time,” the relative recalled.

His Facebook cover page quotes David Lane’s “14 words,” which the Southern Poverty Law Center describes as “the best-known slogan of the U.S. white supremacist movement.” Lane, founder of a group called the Order, died in prison after a conviction in the killing of a Jewish radio host in 1984.

“I don’t even remember why I put it [up],” Norwood said of the post, which remained online as of Wednesday. “Maybe I was having a bad day.”

According to his friends, Levi’s relationship with his girlfriend made him happier than he had been in a long time. But they also wondered how the interracial relationship would play with his parents.

Both were against his dating a black girl, the relative said, but his father was “adamant” about the issue. “He didn’t want Leviathan having anything to do with her.”

Norwood insisted his opposition to the relationship had nothing to do with race.

“I don’t care about that,” he said. “The only thing I told him was, ‘Levi, this girl has a few issues, she’s working through some stuff, and you guys don’t need to bring each other down. You don’t need people, who need help and support, to feed off of each other and cause you to get worse.’ ”

Norwood said that Levi was not on antidepressants or other medication, but that his grades had begun to suffer. His parents had recently taken away Levi’s cellphone when the teenager “lied” to them, Norwood said, about studying after school when he was actually with his girlfriend.

The teenagers documented their deepening feelings for each other on Instagram, while also hinting at the hurdles they faced.

“I hate it when bad/sad things happen to my Bubby,” the girl wrote on Jan. 2 next to a drawing of a black girl comforting a white boy. “I would just love to take every ach and pain his heart and mind has to endure. Holding him tight as I say everything is gonna eventually be better then now.”

'Worst day of my life'
Norwood hasn’t been back to the brick house on Elk Run Road. The last sight of it was his wife’s flowers in the entryway, surrounded by his blood.

His relatives who went there over the weekend described his favorite meal of chopped chicken breast uncooked on the stove; a Valentine’s present for Wyatt — his beloved Mr. Potato Head from “Toy Story” — still unwrapped; and a bullet through his wife’s lizard tank.

This is what the shooting has left him: a house he can’t live in, a double funeral scheduled for Sunday and criminal proceedings against a son whose name he can no longer bear to say.

Levi is expected to be returned in the coming days to Virginia, where he faces arraignment on the two murder charges in juvenile court, according to Sgt. James Hartman, a spokesman for the Fauquier County Sheriff’s Department. Scott Hook, Fauquier’s commonwealth’s attorney, will decide whether to leave the case in juvenile court or seek to try him as an adult.

Whatever the outcome, the shooting has left Norwood shattered emotionally and wounded physically, with a gash from the bullet above his eye.

“Every day for the rest of my life,” he said, “I’m going to wake up, look in the mirror, and I’m going to have a scar down my face, my head, as a memory of the worst day of my life, when my family got taken away.”

Norwood said he doesn’t know how his son would have gotten a gun. He always kept the family’s firearms in a double-locked safe to which the teenager didn’t have access, he said.

The previous Sunday, the two of them had taken a drive to Richmond so his son could clock the hours behind the wheel he needed to get his license.

“He was great,” Norwood said. “We were laughing.”

And on the morning of the shooting, his wife texted him that Levi and Wyatt were curled up together before the school bus came.

That evening, Norwood would find the boy’s body in the same spot, allegedly slain by the brother who’d cuddled with him hours earlier.

Norwood could not fathom who his son had become. “He’s not the same person,” he said.

The rest of the family is also struggling to understand what happened.

Ginny Norwood, Josh’s mother, wrote on Facebook that she had spoken to Wyatt that morning. The 6-year-old was excited because his mother was coming to school to have lunch with him. He asked his grandma whether she could come, too. Next time, she promised.

“We are all devastated,” she wrote. “Josh has lost his entire family. Levi’s life is ‘gone.’ ”

Despite the murder charges against her grandson, Ginny Norwood said she was praying for him.

“I love Levi still but am so confused,” she wrote. “We are all empty pray for us.”
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
A flat earther built a rocket to launch himself into the sky and prove his cuckoo theory.

The rocket crashed and he died.
Well that was fairly predictable.

Though admittedly, you gotta give him some minimal amount of credit for trying to put his money where his mouth was. Most crazed conspiracy theorists are just content to insist that what they think is actually so and expect everyone else to take their word for it.
From the linked stories, it sounds like the Flat-Earth stuff was a fundraising ploy to get money from nutjobs. He only started pushing it in recent years when his money dried up. It seems like he was just a kinda weird dude that really wanted to be an astronaut.
Gamertag: Tweakee
There's a Terry Gilliam film in there somewhere.
Well, at least he proved that gravity isn't a hoax.
(02-23-2020, 02:47 PM)JMurdoch Wrote: A flat earther built a rocket to launch himself into the sky and prove his cuckoo theory.

The rocket crashed and he died.

EddieMurphyLaugh.gif
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
The video of the crash is some Wile E. Coyote shit.
Man, I try not to rubberneck over actual people dying, but there's a part of me that really does kinda want to see that.
LiveLeak!
Nah, I'm good. But given the circumstances, I ain't judgin'.
This crystal dagger, found in Spain, has been dated to 3,000 BC.

Humanity hadn't even entered the Iron Age yet.  Imagine thinking you're hot shit because you've got bronze, while this motherfucker is walking around with this beautiful purple quality drop with what I'm sure were some sick stats.
Please consider lending a hand if you can, or posting my gofundme link elsewhere in Social Media Land.

http://citizens.trouble.city/showthread.php?tid=162311&pid=4721386#pid4721386
Well I've found my next fantasy metal album cover.