Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hurricane Season Thread
So, Edouard (wtf is with that spelling?) is going to make landfall tomorrow. It's barely even a hurricane, and people are going ape shit. My mom and sister's offices have already closed tomorrow, with no idea what the weather will be like. More so, both offices are on the west side of town, so we might get the dirty side of the hurricane, but still, pretty far inland.

A few people have told me they, or a spouse, went out today to grocery shop, or just do some running around and people are all over the place getting water, batteries, and sand bags.

It's a Cat 1 people. That's your typical 2PM Wednesday afternoon Houston thunderstorm. Or did we get so many people in the past year that Houston has forgotten how to prepare for bad weather?
Admittedly, this is where us LA folk just don't have anything to say.

Although I do notice that all hurricane names are formal names. We never see hurricane Barney or Jimmy.
Just to be on the safe side, I hurled a brick into a Circuit City window. Can't be too prepared.
Since when did New Mexico ever have to deal with a hurricane? Quit using this as a justification to start riots Minsk.
I'm from Florida. I just miss the lootin'.

They don't call me Lootie McStealGoods for nothin'!
You're just wanting to do this so you can get Bill Richardson all hot and bothered don't ya?
Well if anyone needs to find a place to hold up, I'm going to be at the Men's Club eating steak and rescuing strippers from the evils of heavy wind and rain.
Richardson's a bearded force of nature, but even he can't stop me. imma get mah loot on anyway!
Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyG
View Post
Well if anyone needs to find a place to hold up, I'm going to be at the Men's Club eating steak and rescuing strippers from the evils of heavy wind and rain.

Now that sounds like a plan. John Carpenter will be more than willing to help write the score for said actions.
Yeah, I'm off work tomorrow. It's gonna slam pretty much head on in Houston.
Thing is, a lot of time it's the Category 1 storms that end up being really bad because no one really gets worried about them. 75 mph is nothing to sneeze at -- get hit by a car doing 75 and tell me it's no big deal.
I'll admit the media coverage of a storm that still might not even hit Category 1 has been a little ridiculous, but it's certainly not the worst trend that could've come from recent years. I rather like the idea of our city being known for over-preparing for potential disasters, instead of being completely ass-fisted like we were during the...ah, "evacuation" for Rita.
While not a hurricane, the Chicagoland area was hit with some incredibly violent thunderstorms and a couple of tornadoes last night. I haven't seen that much lightning in a long time. Today, there's still a lot of Chicago without power and it looked like a warzone outside (on my drive to work) with all the downed and split trees.

Still, it was a great show to watch last night.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brad Witzel
View Post
While not a hurricane, the Chicagoland area was hit with some incredibly violent thunderstorms and a couple of tornadoes last night. I haven't seen that much lightning in a long time. Today, there's still a lot of Chicago without power and it looked like a warzone outside (on my drive to work) with all the downed and split trees.

I caught the end of the Cubs game last night (after the three hour delay) and the thunderstorms did look impressive. The fans seemed to be enjoying the light show as much as the game. I was kinda surprised they were actually playing the game in those conditions, but I guess it was because the Cubs were losing and they didn't want to call it. You can bet your ass if it was the Astros losing that game would have been called.
I thought some of you might like to see this:

NAGIN WINS AN AWARD, GETS PROTESTED.
Gustav has a lot of people on edge.

Nagin is even coming back from DNC, Guess he can sit in a hotel and yell and rant until the President shows up and then kiss his ass again. Of course his family won't be affected since they live in Dallas. Hell of a mayor.

Looked at the main track last night and it had it due south of us by Sunday at 8 PM. Still a long way off and a lot could change, but most of the tracks they showed at noon had us in the middle.

So we are doing the talk of where we might evacuate to, and trying to remember this time to pack a good deal of clothes.

Anyone else watching?
We're keeping an eye on it in Florida, especially after a mere tropical storm fucked us all good and proper last week. If I were Nagin, I'd start preparing to get people out now.
Nobody seems to be worried in Houston, even though the path puts us in for a good heavy rain at the very least. Looks like Louisiana and East Texas are going to get a pounding though.
Nagin doesn't give a shit about the people. He cares about the hotels and his rich friends.

Noon track says to the west of us. But the main thing they keep saying is they really don't know until it gets in the gulf.

I am just worried if this passes us by and goes somewhere else, what happens the next time we really do get hit? Are people going to run when they should, or shrug their shoulders and say the media and government are playing chicken little?

I mean press conference after press conference and it still isn't even in the Gulf.
Finally some word about it here. Work is putting the hurricane tracking line and website up with info, and asked us all to call in Monday if the weather hits us. Here's hoping it rides the Sabine river.
http://www.stormpulse.com is a pretty awesome site for info on storms.
So the predictions (which I take with a grain of salt at this point) are for 100 mile per hour winds with landfall west of New Orleans?

Hope the Army Corp of Engineers rebuilt those levees.......
Yeah, one I saw tonight had it even further west. Keeps looking like Lake Charles is going to get hit.
Looks like its tracking more towards Houston area now. All depends on how much strength this storm gets from the Gulf, which is pretty much impossible to predict, but it does look like its getting more organized. It might be worse if it hits west of NO though, since the strongest part of hurricanes tends to be in the northeast quadrant.

Hanna looks like it might be heading for the Florida Keys than into the Gulf as well.
Well, we are prepping bags just in case. We won't make a decision to leave until later tomorrow. If so, we are headed up to Starkville, MS where my wife is from and friend has already told us to come on up (of course last time we drank all her booze, but kept her well feed).

Jindal has said it looks like contra flow will start Sunday morning. National Guard is already here. They came in this morning.

Our problem is we have a 4 year old. So don't really want to try and ride it out if we lose power for a day or three.
They are talking about mandatory evac later today. If so, that is insane. Storm isn't even in the Gulf yet and might not even hit until Tuesday. So, if I am forced to evac and this thing goes further West and hits Lake Charles or Texas, is the government going to reimburse me? Yeah, I didn't think so.
They even bumped the LSU vs. Appalachian St. (is this even fair?) game up an hour to help with the evacuation. There's going to be a lot of wasted people evacuating the state this afternoon.

Must be an election year or something....

It didn't take a direct hit to bring down the levees during Katrina though. NO might face the worst winds of the storm if it hits Lake Charles area.
Leaving early in the morning.

Ning page set up by some people:

http://gustav08.ning.com/
This shit just got real....

Quote:

UPDATE 8/30 6:30pm: Gustav is now a category 5 hurricane and it's barreling straight for Louisiana. Mayor Ray Nagin has ordered the evacuation of New Orleans and called Gustav "the mother of all storms." Gustav has become a much bigger, much stronger hurricane than the consensus prediction even 24 hours ago. It now has sustained winds of over 155 miles per hour and could bring major devastation to Louisiana. For live updates from the crowd, keep your eye on the Ning group for Hurricane Gustav.

Good luck, Casey, and to all you other guys in the NO/Louisiana area. Hopefully the Govt. learned from the mistakes of Katrina and has had enough time to implement the changes since then. If not this country will be having a serious sense of deva vu on Tuesday morning.
Random thoughts, sentences. Still kind of loopy.

Left at 6:30 am. 4.5 hour drive took 8.5 hours. Ended up getting off I-55 at McComb, MS and taking back roads to get to where we needed to be. Glad we ended up going 55 at the last moment though since going the other way, I-59 we had friends who just in New Orleans were taking 4-6 hours to get out of the metro area.

Staying with a friend who grew up in Lafourche Parish. She has family friends staying here as well so full house. Louisiana Diaspora is in effect. Jambalaya for dinner and seafood they brought with them tomorrow.

Killed me seeing so many people, my people, fleeing. We are lucky, we have so many options. Friends/family everywhere were offering us places to stay.

Watching live feed of WWL TV, which is all I can get to play on my computer.
Hope you're good Casey. I stayed so busy all weekend I completely forgot about the storm until yesterday afternoon. Looks like NO dodged a bullet though.
We are well. Thanks. Just waiting to get the info for when we can go back. I was hoping tomorrow, but right now it looks like it might be Friday.

The other people staying here though might not get to go back four a couple of weeks. Their parish got his bad.
Glad to hear you are okay.
How'd a hurricane thread end up in the Midwest forum anyway?!?
Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Dickson
View Post
How'd a hurricane thread end up in the Midwest forum anyway?!?

Because the Regional board is lacking a "South" or "Southwest" forum.

All the Texas-based stuff can be found here.

It's just plain embarassing.