Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ruminations on the Works of Stephen King
(10-06-2018, 06:50 PM)rexbanner Wrote: Desperation was the 6th or 7th King novel I read, and after a tense as hell, shocking first 150 pages, it really suffers for relying on characters intuitively feeling they must follow some supernatural grand plan or ritual, implicitly God's. I realised this had been a subconscious issue for me in much of The Stand (which remains one of the most solidly entertaining reading experiences of my life) too, and it's heavily present in IT and, with a malevolent twist, Pet Sematary.

It's the King trope I like the least

Certainly agree with you there.  As Hendrix points out in his review, the meddling from on high is a weakness of The Stand and often feels like the hand of King, not God, that's manipulating these events for the sole purpose of propelling the plot forward.  Funny you should bring up Pet Sematary though, as I read it immediately after completing The Stand and had the same thought.  I think it feels a little more organic in PS but still felt it was unnecessary.  Louis Creed didn't need a supernatural force to push him to make the tragic decisions he ultimately made, and I think his actions would have been all the more upsetting if he had made them without outside interference.
(10-05-2018, 09:21 PM)Kevin Macken 2.0 Wrote: https://www.tor.com/features/series/the-...ng-reread/

Thought I'd post these here if it hasn't been already.  Grady Hendrix, who wrote Paperbacks From Hell, has re-read and reviewed every King novel and collection.  He brings a interesting perspective to these reviews and isn't afraid to point out some of King's shortcomings as writer.  His review of Desperation has finally made me interested enough to dig that book out of my attic and give it a proper read.

Having just finished Thinner about a week ago, kind of surprised that he gets the ending wrong(and repeats it incorrectly more than once), considering he is claiming to have re-read it.  Halleck doesn't put the pie in the fridge.  He gives it to his wife and then heads upstairs to bed while he listens to her downstairs anticipating the moment she eats it before falling asleep.  When he wakes up in the morning he finds that his daughter actually came home and that both his wife and daughter ate it.

To quote:
"Halleck wants to feed it to his wife, whom he feels has not stood by him through this ordeal, but when he gets home he throws the pie in the fridge and goes to bed."

Also, he says that Halleck is a lawyer in Chicago, which is not true.  I believe it is mentioned that he spent some time in Chicago(getting his law degree, I think), but the book does not, at any time, take place in Chicago.

to quote the article:

"Billy Halleck is a high end lawyer in Chicago who is also an obese compulsive overeater."