Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's your favorite Board Game?

A giant box of Rising Sun is sitting in my trunk mocking me until I can get home from work and dig into this monster.

Dear god what have I done...

That looks like a helluva lot of minis for a map that size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob Singer View Post

That looks like a helluva lot of minis for a map that size.

They're not all used in every game.  You only play with 6 of the 8 clans shown, and only 6 to 12 of the monsters, which are recruited by players during the game, so you might not even get all of them into play.  Plus you only start with two figures per player on the board, and combat removes every single figure from the losing side.  So the board should stay relatively uncluttered.

Got our first play of Rising Sun in on Saturday and I really liked it.  I liked it better than Blood Rage, although the designer admits they're doing to different things; he's said Blood Rage is Risk, while Rising Sun is Diplomacy.  And the negotiation aspect is definitely key here; the way the actions work, if you're not allied with someone, you're missing out on what potentially amounts to an extra turn, since each mandate has an action all players take, then an action that the player who played and their ally gets to take.  And some of those secondary actions are huge, like being able to build more strongholds or harvesting the resources your territory produces.  So if you really need to do something, it behooves you to get in friendly with someone who's going first or second and persuading/bribing them to take that action.  And in a game with an odd number of players, at least one player will have no ally each season.  That's not an insurmountable problem -- there's a Betray mandate that's ideal for a solo player, because it only does something bad to you if you're in an alliance -- but you have to work twice as hard that season.

It's also important, much like Scythe, not to think of this as a typical area control war game.  Sure, there are some things that depend on you having the most force in an area, but you summon new figures based on where your strongholds are, regardless of whether or not you control that area.  And the game rewards you for how many different provinces you claim victory in over the course of a game, so holding on to one or two over and over again doesn't really gain you much.

We played a fairly standard game, just the five base clans and one of the recommended Season decks.  We did throw in some of the extra monsters because, well, we wanted to get more of these awesome minis on the table!

I ended up winning thanks to my clan's special ability; they only ever pay 1 coin for anything they buy, after which any additional discounts are applied.  This let me nab five different monsters for cheap (they typically run from 3 to 6 coins), as well as two copies of the bonus card that gives you points for each monster you have.  That was a 30 point swing for me at the end of the game.  I also slammed down a well-timed Betray action late in the game (it lets you replace two opposing figures with two of your own of the same type), which gave me victories in two different provinces.

It's just a great game.  There's a ton of variety, even with just the base game.  The mechanics, especially the bidding system for combat, are smooth, and the goddamn thing is gorgeous.  We're gonna play the crap out of this.

We've probably played The Thing about ten times now. I have been the damn Imitation every. single. time. Gah! The game is stacked against the humans big time though. Humans haven't won a single game yet.

AI'm late to the discussion but I wanted to echo the Scythe love. Played it for the first time this past weekend and greatly enjoyed it. Remarkably balanced game play.
A[Image: 400]

What is that? That is MrTyres, Master of the Oni.

[Image: 400]

And I still lost by two points. I made a mistake in Summer, committing seppuku and going up the honor rank and costing me six points of Oni victory. Rising Sun is super fun and definitely replayable.

Finally got around to Mysterium. Fun game! Easier than it seems according to the instructions.

Did about ten hours of gaming today at our regular Second Saturday meetup, and two games really stood out.

[Image: 29133850_10160086086125297_2228702497474...e=5B3B8019]

First was Path of Light and Shadow.  It's a deck-builder with an area control aspect, but the neat twist is how it handles the usual deck-building aspect of adding cards to your deck.  Each card upgrades to a specific card, detailed at the bottom.  When you upgrade a card, you spend other cards to pay its upgrade cost, return it to the deck it came from (unless it's a starter card, in which case it's removed from the game), and add the new card from the appropriate face-up upgrade deck (each representing one of four factions in the game).  So none of the random, "Well, I don't really want to buy any of those cards" moments you get in a lot of other deck-builders.  You can also gain cards from the province your hero is in, either by conquering it (going up against the defense of the province represented by those plastic towers) or by recruiting at the end of you turn.  These cards come from decks representing the different realms in the game (each corresponding to a type of terrain, like mountains and rivers).  These are face down, so you don't know what you're getting.  There's also a mechanic where certain actions earn you Cruelty or Mercy.  A lot of cards behave differently depending on how cruel or merciful you are.  You score at the end of every four rounds, then again at the end of the game.  And I did terribly.  I sort of stumbled around trying different things while everyone else, you know, got on with winning the game, so I was pretty much out of it early.  But it was still really damn fun regardless.

[Image: 28958764_10160086086990297_5619675341984...e=5B35ABB7]

Then we had our second play of Empires of the Void II.  This is a 4x space game with a follow the leader mechanic -- the active player chooses and performs an action, then the other players can follow that action, pay two command points to take a different action, or refresh (earn income, reset their command point track, and draw back up to their hand size).  Along the way you're taking control of planets, gaining influence on them (which makes you allies with the natives, able to recruit their soldiers and gaining special abilities), building buildings on planets you control, and developing technology on your worldship that give you other special abilities.  There are also cards that perform actions but that also figure in combat and other aspects of the game.  It's a pretty elegant design, and our game tonight was tight; it came down to a tie-breaker that I won by a single unit.  It's different enough from the Twilight Imperiums and Eclipses to get some regular play.
My karmic debt must be huge.

----------

My blog: An Embarrassment of Rich's
Anyone here played "Through The Ages"? A digital version has just been released and I've heard good things, but wondered what people thought of it and how difficult it is to learn.

"If I can shoot rabbits, then I can shoot fascists" -  The Manic Street Preachers

Steam ID: iammrsaxon / Blizzard ID: MrSaxon#2283 / Xbox ID: MR SAX0N
They're kickstarting a reboot of a game I've been trying to reacquire since my folks tossed it out: Fireball Island!
(03-29-2018, 11:38 AM)MrSaxon Wrote: Anyone here played "Through The Ages"? A digital version has just been released and I've heard good things, but wondered what people thought of it and how difficult it is to learn.

We played through one age of the physical version -- we didn't have a lot of time but wanted to see what it was like -- but I've played multiple games of the app version and I think it's one of the stronger conversions out there.  And the tutorial is fantastic, and the single-player AI games are pretty tough.

The basics of the game are pretty simple to pick up.  What always trips me up is running up a big score during the game, but not really anything from the end game bonuses, so I tend to get lapped by the other players once final scoring starts.
My karmic debt must be huge.

----------

My blog: An Embarrassment of Rich's
(04-03-2018, 02:50 PM)Richard Dickson Wrote:
(03-29-2018, 11:38 AM)MrSaxon Wrote: Anyone here played "Through The Ages"? A digital version has just been released and I've heard good things, but wondered what people thought of it and how difficult it is to learn.

We played through one age of the physical version -- we didn't have a lot of time but wanted to see what it was like -- but I've played multiple games of the app version and I think it's one of the stronger conversions out there.  And the tutorial is fantastic, and the single-player AI games are pretty tough.

The basics of the game are pretty simple to pick up.  What always trips me up is running up a big score during the game, but not really anything from the end game bonuses, so I tend to get lapped by the other players once final scoring starts.

Yeah, I ended up picking up the version on Steam before the sale expired and have been really enjoying my time with it. It's telling that I'm having a favorable experience despite the fact that I seem unable to beat the damned AI at all. 

And you're right about the tutorial. Very cute.

"If I can shoot rabbits, then I can shoot fascists" -  The Manic Street Preachers

Steam ID: iammrsaxon / Blizzard ID: MrSaxon#2283 / Xbox ID: MR SAX0N
Well, I've gone and hooked my 11-yr-old on Axis & Allies. I'm ok with that.
I've seen so many good people in my life that I've almost lost my faith in the wickedness of humankind.

--Will Durant

http://netflixjunkie.blogspot.com/
(04-09-2018, 02:55 PM)frankcobretti Wrote: Well, I've gone and hooked my 11-yr-old on Axis & Allies.  I'm ok with that.

Future presidential material already!