Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Magic: The Gathering
EDH is definitely fun, and cheaper than keeping up with standard.

If you guys are into playing the game, you should check out http://www.mtgsalvation.com
They have all kinds of news, info, and discussion. They have a specific forum for EDH in particular which was invaluable in my deckbuilding.

The best thread is probably this one...
http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/showthread.php?t=161090
It lists the top 35 cards for each colour and type. You'd think this would make a lot of decks feel the same, but considering you can only use so many of these the deck variety is pretty crazy.

This thread is good too...
http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/showthread.php?t=194327
It's a deck database, so the guy looking for help with Doran should check here.

I use Rafiq for one deck, and Thraximundar for the other. Rafiq is positively amazing. I don't even have to do general damage with him to win, and even with having to pay 10+ mana for him to come out some games due to constant removal he is very effective.

Standard is too fun for me to want to give up, despite Jund being so prevalent. There's a number of cheap decks you can build that are really strong, including a basic Jund itself so keeping up isn't too bad. I've been playing Standard since Zendikar came in after playing Shards block exclusively and I've been able to keep costs down by buying singles or sticking to one or two decks. I barely bought any Worldwake and have several Tier 1 decks.

The white/blue allies deck is a solid investment if you want to keep up with Standard, and it'll maintain most of it's best cards for quite some time. I think it'll get even better once Shards block rotates, and as of now it is ridiculously cheap to build. People still haven't realized the power of some of the cards in it, so they're $5 at most.
I looked at the MTGSalvation EDH forum, and while the Doran decks there were great, I recently read an article from Star City Games' Benny Smith, who wrote about using Omnath as a General. I'm a big fan of Green, so naturally, this appealed to me, and I'm working on making that deck.

Basic idea: Make a big fat guy and smash people. Should be fun.
Omnath is a big hit as an EDH general - perhaps a bit vulernable may be but cheap to cast and easy to pump (although at a cost of not doing other stuff).

mtg salvation is the blue chip for magic news and articles I linked to it above as their spoiler stuff is great value.

I have to agree with the allies statement - green - white - blue are deadly, I've found that the commons/ uncommons work well and as long as you don't try to get clever with too many non-ally cards and a good mana curve you can take down a jund or vampire deck 50% of the time andy you could probably build it out of the free boxes at your store, a few cheapo uncommons and you're away.

Worldwake has been quite disappointing in someways, powerful stuff but not enough to make a difference.
What's great about Omnath is that even as mono-Green, you have some good ways of protecting him-- Avoid Fate, Vines of Vastwood, City of Solitude, etc. And in a deck that's all about generating lots of Green mana, if Omnath goes down, you can still muster big fat fatties (Molimo, Multani, and Emrakul/Ulamog soon to come), or abuse the hell out of a card like Chameleon Colossus. I'm really looking forward to seeing how this works.
Ah, Magic: The Gathering. I started collecting M:TG with my brother back when Revised came out, but we quitted for good around Mirage expansion, and we sold pretty much all of our cards although I still keep a deck around. Now I play a bit of this card game via Xbox 360 Arcade game. My favorite color is still White, and I still the love White powerhouses like Swords to Plowshare, Armaggddeon, Wrath of God, Serra Angel, and hordes of White weenies.
I'll be attending Pro Tour San Juan.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anakin's Dad
View Post

Cool! Good luck over there, Travis. Can't wait to hear about it.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anakin's Dad
View Post

Awesome! Looking forward to hearing about your experience there.
Rise of the eldrazi pre-release this past weekend was a bomb-fest, huge creatures and huge spells that end games as soon as they drop - the annihiator ability is ridiculously unfair. I'm glad I've no plans to play standard.

Resurrecting this. Wizards is in the middle of the latest block Innistrad and my buddies have dragged me back into it and you know what, like a relapsed drug addict, I'm loving it to death. Apparently, original creator Richard Garfield helped design this set and I think most of us here can appreciate it: horror theme. The main tribal components this time are Vampires, Zombies, Werewolves, Spirits and of course, lowly Humans. The newest game mechanic is the transform ability, in which a two-sided card has certain conditions to be met, at which point it can flip over into something more cool (the werewolves all use this mechanic, human on one side, ravenous beast on the other). It's a lot of fun but having not played in years since the Onslaught block I'm amazed at how fast the games can go nowadays, it seems like everything's done on turn 6 or 7, or maybe I'm just terrible.

Anyone else still in this? What's the tournament play like for this set? I'm losing money left and right because damn, it's fun and I want to know someone else is in the same boat.

AYep, still an addict. Loving this set too. They hit so many horror tropes and they've done a great job with flavor.

I'm forever constantly amazed that a damn near 20 year old game can still introduce new mechanics into its gameplay. Undying and the dual sided cards are ridiculously fun mechanics that I thoroughly enjoy playing on my opponents. I'm tempted to jump into a FNM game to see how I'd fare, or at least a booster league. Have never desired that with any other expansion (though admittedly, I was usually flat broke when other expansions dropped and what money I did have went to booster packs because deep down, I'm a completionist and must. have. them. all!)

Recently got my fiancee hooked on Magic, and she regularly dwindles my deck with her Millstone.

For reasons unknown I've really been getting the bug to play again (I haven't played in a good 13 years, right around the Urza block), so I decided to get myself a booster box of the 2012 core set along with a few Innistrad boosters.

Just after opening a few packs, I'm amazed by how powerful they've made some of these cards nowadays. And I'm talking about common cards like Angel's Mercy and Jace's Erasure! Not to mention all this Bloodthirst, Hexproof, and Lifelink stuff. And Planeswalkers! Seems the days of playing 30-40 turn games are long gone. I've got a lot of practicing to do. No one I know plays, so I'm probably going to be throwing myself to the wolves and showing up at a Friday Night Magic. How welcoming are they to the noobs and the long-retired?

AUsualy very accepting of returning players. There's a massive and thriving MTG community on twitter. You can also check out some MTG podcasts at mtgcast.com (I recommend Horde of Notions or Monday Night Magic, I've hosted both, so I'm a little biased).

My brothers just bought the latest xbox iteration of this and is utterly besotted.

I gotta be honest, maybe I'm just too old school when it comes to my rpging, but I just don't get it.

When I have some time I may run the tutorial to try and see if theres something here that'll grab me.

pretty interesting.. I used to play pokemon back in the day lol... the TCG at a local cardshop and saw the cool teenagers playing magic.. never got into it though =/

god I miss that game, retired from play around 12 years ago when my first son was born. But played type 1, standard, type 1.5 tournies in socal most weekends.

Used to crack boxes I bought wholesale at Frank n Sons and sell off the extras at a table at the tournemants. Did not turn a big profit, but financed my hobby for 3-4 years and I still have around 10k in cards stashed in my attic.

So many cool memories, my buddy owned a comic shop so it was head straight over there after work for comics, lan party and magic until he kicked us all out around 1am every night. Weird how just seeing the title of this thread brings those memories flooding back.

I think sometimes about when my kids are older and want to do their own thing, I might start playing booster draft tournies again...what a fun game that was. From the collecting, the deck building, the meta strategizing, the trading.....for an obsessive nerd like me it was a wonderful distraction from real life. In fact, its right around time to teach my 9 year old to play.  Possibly that week off after Christmas when the kids are bored and I am not back to work yet.

Yeah, the pace of the game is ridiculous nowadays. It's rarely a slugfest, it seems like shit's over in turn 5. Christ, there are some 3mana cards out there that are more powerful than a lot of the 5-6 mana cost cards. Fucking vampires and zombies (at least from the Innistrad block)... I have a bunch of older set decks from the early 00s/late 90s and they play like dottering old fools to the newer sets so much so that it's like a completely different game.

AWell, rather than just restart a thread with same name I decided to break out this bad boy:

[IMG ALT=""]http://www.chud.com/community/content/type/61/id/201915/width/500/height/1000[/IMG]

Now that's over with, I'm bringing this thread back to life to see if anybody here has returned to playing Magic: the Gathering. I got back into casual play about a year ago and have frequently found myself stepping into game stores that are packed to the gills with people. Apparently Magic is experiencing a spike of new players as well as old timers like me returing to the game, so I decided to check in here to see if I'm the only chewer doing this.

I cannot afford the cards themselves - nor do I have the space even for my 20 year old uber-collection. However! Wizards announced an overhauled Magic Online coming out this summer alongside the new core set. It's probably going to be a lot like Hearthstone, which isn't a bad thing. Either way, I intend to lose a lot of my time to this version. When it comes out, if you're still playing, let's go a few rounds.

For anyone who plays at all, this looks really fun...

https://www.cracked.com/article_27000_a-...w-set.html

Alexander Clamilton feels ripped from The Tick.

The Flavor Judge is goofy fun (it lets you ask a non-player if the story behind a spell makes sense, and if they say no, you counter it).

But my favorite has to be Boomstacker, who keeps getting stronger as long as you can stack dice on his card without knocking them over.
Gamertag: Tweakee
https://www.polygon.com/2020/6/10/212871...ds-apology

The "Invoke Prejudice" one ... I can't believe that was ever actually printed in the first place.

"Gypsy" is apparently a pejorative, so that one makes sense, too.

The other ones? Eh. They might be culturally insensitive in some respects, I suppose, but I'm not sure how they're "racist." Dhalsim in a gimp mask is racist?

While stuff like "Invoke Prejudice" absolutely, positively should be removed, I'm curious how much further they'll go with this. There are quite a few cards that in the modern era would be considered quite "anti-woke!" They better not remove Earthbind! No kinkshaming!

I thought "Stone-Throwing Devils" might be considered anti-Semitic given how commonly stoning is prescribed in Jewish scripture, but apparently it's an anti-Muslim slur.
Just this guy, you know?
(06-11-2020, 05:52 AM)Richard Dickson Wrote: I thought "Stone-Throwing Devils" might be considered anti-Semitic given how commonly stoning is proscribed in Jewish scripture, but apparently it's an anti-Muslim slur.

Stoning is anything but proscribed in Jewish scripture.  IIRC it is recommended for a variety of "sins."

Meant "prescribed," stupid autocorrect....
Just this guy, you know?
Seriously though, how did this card art EVER pass muster??!?!?!!?

[Image: magic-the-gathering-invoke-prejudice-con...C760&ssl=1]

I feel kind of dense, because I am not sure what is so wild about Invoke Prejudice. The artwork vaguely evoking Klan hoods? The basic concept, of weaponizing racial hysteria in a fantasy setting? A mana cost requiring 4 blue, seeming to suggest that anyone would be using a monotone deck in blue of all colors?
(06-11-2020, 08:27 PM)schwartz Wrote: I feel kind of dense, because I am not sure what is so wild about Invoke Prejudice.  The artwork vaguely evoking Klan hoods?  The basic concept, of weaponizing racial hysteria in a fantasy setting?  A mana cost requiring 4 blue, seeming to suggest that anyone would be using a monotone deck in blue of all colors?

The artwork combined with what the card does ... it's basically a summoning spell for the Ku Klux Klan who will then proceed to forbid entry to "cards" of opposing colors ...

I don't know if its a good thing or a bad thing that it took me so long to see the Klan in that artwork.
Ban this card that is over 25 years old and hasn't been printed in as long! Remove it from gameplay!

Also, I wonder if I have that in my collection, because now I feel like it's about to be worth even more...

Reading that the index # for the card was 1488 turns it from something . . . unfortunate and of questionable taste, to something really truly ugly.
If I could change to liquid, I'd fill the cracks and bend the rocks.
(07-09-2020, 09:34 AM)doc happenin Wrote: Ban this card that is over 25 years old and hasn't been printed in as long! Remove it from gameplay!

Also, I wonder if I have that in my collection, because now I feel like it's about to be worth even more...

Doc, I have never been accused of being overly sensitive about these sorts of issues, and even I immediately thought "I can't fucking believe that card art was ever approved in the first place."

Just 2 things that hadn't been mentioned yet, that I picked up from Twitter talk about this:

I didn't bother to check it out myself, but apparently the artist for Invoke Prejudice is, well, he does a lot of artwork depicting Nazis. That may or may not say something about his beliefs.

Also there's evidence that the 1488 id was just a very unfortunate coincidence. Sets get added to the database sequentially, sorted by color and then by name. If you look at the other numbers around there, card 1487 is In The Eye Of Chaos, card 1489 is Juxtapose. It's going through the blue Legends cards alphabetically.