Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Rocky Franchise

No, no.  Thanks for bringing it up because I have never thought of that.

ENOUGH OUT OF YOU, DICKSON!!!

Dare I mention that, in screen time, the final round is nowhere close to being a full length boxing round? :p

That's enough Richard.

AI read a great post recently about how the Rocky franchise was broken from the moment he beat Creed in II. The whole thing with Rocky was that he wasn't a particularly good fighter. In the first one he is thirty and even then Mickey is suggesting retirement saying he [I]could[I] have been great. The great win is that his sheer will carried him through the entire match (far outdoing the three rounds as Richard noted). That the sequel has him beating Creed, even barely, suggests that he was this great champion after all, betraying the message of the first. Of course by the third he's protecting cops from a rampaging Hulk Hogan so it's all out the window.

Eh, I'm not convinced it betrays anything. The series as a whole is about Going The Distance™ at various points in life, I don't think it was a requirement for him to never fully succeed for that to come across. If he didn't evolve the series wouldn't have either.

I do find Rocky II the least interesting of the films for that reason, though. It's sleepily paced and always feels to me like the only point to it's existence is to get Rocky to the inevitable point where he wins.

ARocky II exists for everything after Adrienne says, "Win."

The fight is good, I'll give it that.

ARocky II exists for a lot more than that. Some favorite moments include: Rocky trying his hand at commercials, Rocky mixing up condominiums with condoms, Rocky commenting on the bricks at his new house, Rocky trying to drive, Rocky trying to find an office job, Rocky trying to read, Mickey freaking out over Apollo Creed on TV and throwing his soup at it etc
AThe commercial bit is so weird. I get what they were trying to do but it comes off as so cartoony.

The best part of Rocky II is when he invites the tiger to the wedding. That bit honestly melts my heart.

Chuck Wepner's story who Stallone loosely based Rocky on.

Good interview. Wonder if he still has some of those old scripts kicking around.

Deadline is reporting that Sylvester Stallone has no immediate plans for a CREED sequel because he has another Rocky installment brewing: "I have a great idea for Rocky. He finds this fella in the country illegally and it becomes a whole thing. It's like the magician who lost his tricks. You've seen everything, but what can be different? Throw him out of the country, he’s in another world."

https://deadline.com/2019/05/sylvester-s...202621832/

#RockyVII #SouthpawOfTheBorder
hehehehe

never over
C'mon Barry, you Barry'd the lead:

Quote:Asked by an audience member to reflect on Cobra, Stallone said “That (conceit) was what if Bruce Springsteen had a gun? That was rock n’ roll meets drama. That should have been another franchise because that character was so cool. And I blew it. My personal life got in the way. But we’re trying to bring it back as a streaming TV series. Bring out the zombie squad. I’m long gone, but the idea is really good,” said Stallone.

Where do I sign?
(05-24-2019, 10:29 AM)barry woodward Wrote: Deadline is reporting that Sylvester Stallone has no immediate plans for a CREED sequel because he has another Rocky installment brewing: "I have a great idea for Rocky. He finds this fella in the country illegally and it becomes a whole thing. It's like the magician who lost his tricks. You've seen everything, but what can be different? Throw him out of the country, he’s in another world."

https://deadline.com/2019/05/sylvester-s...202621832/

#RockyVII #SouthpawOfTheBorder

He also says it will probably never happen.
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
I hope it never happens. Creed 2 was the perfect end cap to the character.

I don’t possibly know where they’d go with a Creed 3 but I want to see what they come up with.
"Every romantic comedy should just be called "Tryin' to Fuck" - Patton Oswalt
Sort of an odd interview where Sly laments not having some "ownership" of the ROCKY franchise:

https://variety.com/2019/film/features/s...e-comments
and features the producers going "he got lots of backend and glory off of it. I dunno what he's complaining about...jeez... That's news to me!"
It's also funny how he talks about Hollywood rejecting him for 15 years after ROCKY V tanked. Meanwhile he was making 8 figure paydays all through the 90's for CLIFFHANGER, ASSASSINS, JUDGE DREDD, DAYLIGHT, etc. My kind of rejection.
spoken like a true hollywood conservative!

they took everything away from me! nobody wanted me around!!

I AM THE LAW!!!
(07-24-2019, 02:23 AM)Alt-molt Wrote: It's also funny how he talks about Hollywood rejecting him for 15 years after ROCKY V tanked. Meanwhile he was making 8 figure paydays all through the 90's for CLIFFHANGER, ASSASSINS, JUDGE DREDD, DAYLIGHT, etc. My kind of rejection.

Yeah and honestly that's the Stallone stuff I really grew up on. Don't forget Copland is also in that period. He didn't truly fade out until the very late 90's. That's when he was doing all the straight to video shit. It stayed that way until 2006 when Rocky Balboa came out and relaunched his career which is kind of amazing. He truly does owe EVERYTHING to Rocky.
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
D'oh, just started a separate thread on this. Should have known Molt would be on it. I'll be a little surprised if either the new installment or the prequel series come to pass.
(07-24-2019, 02:23 AM)Alt-molt Wrote: It's also funny how he talks about Hollywood rejecting him for 15 years after ROCKY V tanked. Meanwhile he was making 8 figure paydays all through the 90's for CLIFFHANGER, ASSASSINS, JUDGE DREDD, DAYLIGHT, etc. My kind of rejection.

Cliffhanger is a goddamn classic and I will flay alive any man who says different.

We're in bed now, joined at the hip, partners in crime!
I go back and forth between CLIFFHANGER and COP LAND when it comes to best 90's Sly. I tend to side with COP LAND.

[Image: Y5lF5ld.gif]

I mean CLIFFHANGER, I side with CLIFFHANGER.
ya gotta treat

the molt

RIGHT!!!
Did i hear correctly that there was a Cliffhanger remake in the works? Don't think Sly was involved but I'm not sure. Can't imagine this comes to pass, just look at the debacle that was Point Break.
yup

it’s being directed by ana lily amirpour
It was announced at Cannes. Said it would feature a "key cameo" by Jason Momoa. I assume he'll go splatt in the opening scene.
(07-31-2019, 12:20 AM)Nooj Wrote: yup

it’s being directed by ana lily amirpour

WHAT?
I have no idea where this series could possibly go next.

But then, I've said that on four prior occasions, and on three of them I was wowed by the next effort!

(08-02-2019, 06:00 PM)Overlord Wrote: I have no idea where this series could possibly go next.

But then, I've said that on four prior occasions, and on three of them I was wowed by the next effort!

Stallone could always dust off that idea of fighting werewolves and/or Bigfoot that he was supposedly going to use for Rambo.

Or make it an Over The Top sequel, where the werewolf/Bigfoot’s one weakness is arm wrasslin’.
"Looking at the Trump administration, I'm starting to think I was too hard on the characters in Prometheus."  --  MrBananaGrabber