Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Concerts And You
Queen + Adam Lambert our going to tour again next Summer. Very pumped...that was one of the best concerts I've attended, so we're definitely going.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music...ur-762415/
All the recent times I've seen Queen mentioned, my brain has transposed Adam Lambert with Adam Levine, the Maroon 5 singer.

I'm like "Huh. Hard to imagine him singing those songs, but I guess people are into it."
Hootie & the Blowfish are doing a reunion tour and literally nothing else matters to me in my life rn.
I will be at the Pittsburgh date of the Queen plus Adam Lambert tour.

Saturday night I saw The Struts and it was one of the best concerts I have ever seen! The singer Luke Spiller had the crowd in the palm of his hand all night.

[video=youtube]http://[/video]
I've got good news and I've got bad news. The bad news is that I have lost my way. The good news is that I'm way ahead of schedule.
I would have posted this earlier, but I was having connection issues. I finally saw Trans Serbian Orchestra and they where amazing. The show works as both an epic power metal show and as wholesome family entertainment.
I've got good news and I've got bad news. The bad news is that I have lost my way. The good news is that I'm way ahead of schedule.
I saw Anderson Paak and The Free Nationals last week. And wouldn't you just know it, they brought that funk.

Kind of like this but even even hip-swinginger and in an arena instead of a club. HIGHLY recommended.

(01-21-2019, 12:00 AM)chaz Wrote: I would have posted this earlier, but I was having connection issues. I finally saw Trans Serbian Orchestra and they where amazing. The show works as both an epic power metal show and as wholesome family entertainment.

I've seen them twice.  I find them dull when they're doing the storyline portion of their show, but they're pretty great when they just cut loose and rock.  As for theatrics and pyrotechnics, they set a pretty high bar in terms of spectacle.
I saw the legend Jeff Goldblum in concert last night. After years of doing jazz piano concerts in Los Angeles, he finally recorded an album with his band and is doing a series of tours at small-ish concert venues.

The music was pretty standard - Goldblum is talented enough that he'd probably have been a decent studio session guy in the 1950s - but he was very aware that people had paid to see him, and he delivered. He did a lot of mingling and patter with the crowd, told a lot of stories, and used the fact that he was the attraction to highlight the other, more talented musicians in his band - chiefly Hailey Tuck, who's a alt-jazz singer I now highly recommend tracking down, and his saxophone player.

In short, it was exactly what I expected out of seeing Jeff Goldblum in concert. He's always been a very generous performer in film and television, and that was definitely the case here.
home taping is killing music
(02-13-2019, 10:46 AM)boone daniels Wrote: I saw the legend Jeff Goldblum in concert last night. After years of doing jazz piano concerts in Los Angeles, he finally recorded an album with his band and is doing a series of tours at small-ish concert venues.

The music was pretty standard - Goldblum is talented enough that he'd probably have been a decent studio session guy in the 1950s - but he was very aware that people had paid to see him, and he delivered. He did a lot of mingling and patter with the crowd, told a lot of stories, and used the fact that he was the attraction to highlight the other, more talented musicians in his band - chiefly Hailey Tuck, who's a alt-jazz singer I now highly recommend tracking down, and his saxophone player.

In short, it was exactly what I expected out of seeing Jeff Goldblum in concert. He's always been a very generous performer in film and television, and that was definitely the case here.

Sonofagun, that sounds super fun.
Continuing the thread of "I only go to concerts when it's someone not known for their singing," my spouse and a few friends went to see Oscar Isaac in concert last Friday at Lincoln Center's Appell Room. The venue, in the Time Warner building, is absolutely gorgeous - the stage is behind floor to ceiling windows that look out onto Central Park and 59th Street.

Isaac himself was basically what you'd expect Oscar Isaac to be - modest, soft-spoken, and incredibly charming. Having seen him play Hamlet in HAMLET a few years back, it was a different side of him. He's a gifted guitarist/musician, and he has a lovely singing voice. What was surprising about the concert was the bulk of it was songs he'd written or co-written himself, and while they vaguely evoked everyone from Leonard Cohen to John Prine, they were what I'd call "pretty good" as original songs. Some of the lyrics didn't entirely work, but the musicianship was evocative. I got the sense that if he'd gone into music full time, he would have been as successful as he is at movies and theater. I'd definitely stream an album of his if he ever chose to do one.

One of the highlights of the night was when he brought out Gaby Moreno, who is a Guatemalan singer-songwriter that I'd never heard of, to sing a few songs with him, including Oscar's mother's favorite song. They sang in Spanish, of course, and again - is there nothing this guy can't do?

Of course, while I wish Isaac had played "Love Is The Drug" (from the hit film SUCKER PUNCH), he knew what the audience was there to hear, and so he wisely opened and closed his set with four songs from INSIDE LLEWYN DAVIS: "Hang Me," "The Death of Queen Jane" to open up the show, and then, as an encore, "Green Grass of Home," and "Fare Thee Well" as the final song of the night. Maybe it's because that movie means a lot to me, but I came away from the encore thinking that "Fare Thee Well" has almost become his signature song - one that he owns in a way that certain performers own certain versions of songs. It was a lot of fun!

Also last week, we went to a "pop up" Amanda Palmer concert at Joe's Pub, which is part of the Public Theater here in NYC. I guess that this was a semi-exclusive show for her Patreon subscribers, but we're members of the Public Theater, so we sometimes get alerted to special shows like this. I don't go to a lot of concerts, but Palmer's the person I've probably seen the most - last week was time number 4. (I think I've seen Ben Folds about that many times, but I'm old and don't remember.) She's an artist who I have a complicated relationship with - her music has meant a lot to me during difficult times, and I've also thought she's done some incredibly dumb/problematic stuff over the years.

But this show was...it was something else. It was a rehearsal for her upcoming tour, which combines stories from her life with new and old songs, and it felt more like a theater piece than an actual concert. She talked a lot about compassion and empathy, and I found myself rethinking or revisiting some of my old ideas about her, and realized that maybe I'd judged her a little too harshly - there are things she's done that I disagree with, but at least I understood where she's coming from. She also talked a fair bit about her relationship with Neil Gaiman, and I thought it was interesting that she never used his full name or said what he did, as if we all knew about it already, and even if we didn't, the text let us know that "Neil" was someone she was in a relationship with. (Gaiman did have a vocal cameo doing the pre-show announcements.)

I also think it's perhaps too overused to call a performance "brave," but over the course of three and a half hours (!!), she went to some very raw and honest places, particularly talking about things like abortion, suicide, and personal trauma/tragedy. But unlike other times I've seen her, it wasn't soul-bearing for the sake of soul-bearing - there was purpose to it, and it felt like a pretty mature work from her. It does need some work, particularly in the second half of the show, but I came away from it very impressed. Despite the fact that we didn't get home until nearly 1:30 a.m. (normally, shows at Joe's Pub run about 90 minutes), it was one of the best concerts/performances I've ever seen.

It helped that Palmer is still a very commanding, very talented performer both in terms of her songs and also her stage presence. Watching her pound on the piano with raw, passionate energy, I was kind of reminded of the stories people would tell about how Warren Zevon would give it his all. I never got to saw Zevon, but I got the sense from Palmer that she was tapping into the same kind of energy.

The show walked a very fine line between "there's no way this could work" and "holy shit, this works," between arch, knowing humor, and emotional intensity. That line was best illustrated near the end of the show, where Palmer told a long story about how, last year, due to circumstances beyond her control, she had a miscarriage by herself on a retreat in the mountains, and how that experience gave her a new strength and belief in herself - and then she transitioned into a cover of "Let It Go" from FROZEN, which was just her, on the piano, practically screaming that song that everyone knew, giving it this powerful, intense context and energy - almost as if it, once again, became an anthem for pushing through tragedy and coming out stronger. And just describing it, it sounds ridiculous, right? You had to be there.
Going to see the Experience Hendrix Tour on Sunday night in Nashville. The reported line up is:

Billy Cox (from Jimi Hendrix Experience / Band Of Gypsies), Joe Satriani, Dave Mustaine (from Megadeth), Zakk Wylde (from Black Label Society / Ozzy Osbourne), Jonny Lang, Dweezil Zappa, Eric Johnson, Doyle Bramhall II, Doug Pinnick (from King's X), Chris Layton (from Stevie Ray Vaughan & Double Trouble), Mato Nanji (from Indigenous), Kenny Aronoff, The Slide Brothers, Henri Brown, Kevin McCormick, and Ana Popovic

Should be pretty fun--I have no idea if it will be all Hendrix songs or a combo of Hendrix songs + the artist's songs. Either way, a ton of great musicians jamming is never a bad time.
That should be a killer show. Wow.
As a follow up to my last post in this thread, the Amanda Palmer album that ties in with the tour I saw is out. It's called THERE WILL BE NO INTERMISSION.
(03-07-2019, 09:01 AM)martianman Wrote: Going to see the Experience Hendrix Tour on Sunday night in Nashville. The reported line up is:

Billy Cox (from Jimi Hendrix Experience / Band Of Gypsies), Joe Satriani, Dave Mustaine (from Megadeth), Zakk Wylde (from Black Label Society / Ozzy Osbourne), Jonny Lang, Dweezil Zappa, Eric Johnson, Doyle Bramhall II, Doug Pinnick (from King's X), Chris Layton (from Stevie Ray Vaughan & Double Trouble), Mato Nanji (from Indigenous), Kenny Aronoff, The Slide Brothers, Henri Brown, Kevin McCormick, and Ana Popovic

Should be pretty fun--I have no idea if it will be all Hendrix songs or a combo of Hendrix songs + the artist's songs. Either way, a ton of great musicians jamming is never a bad time.
Wow, I live in Nashville and didn't even know about this! How was the show? Amazing I assume?
Last weekend I was at the 80's hard rock/hair metal festival M3 and I had the time of my life! Here is a taste.
[video=youtube]http://[/video]
I've got good news and I've got bad news. The bad news is I've lost my way. The good news is I'm way ahead of schedule!
Looks like STYX is playing here in Vancouver at the PNE's Summer Concert Series in August.

Having some beers while rocking out to Styx sounds damn good to me.
Originally Posted by ImmortanNick 

Saw Batman v Superman.
Now I know what it's like to see Nickelback in concert.

That's my review.
I saw them about 10 years ago. Good show, good energy to it. Tommy and JY are there to play guitar so you should have a good time.
This weekend, I'm attending a weekend-long festival held by a favorite band of mine.

And while I think they're fantastic and folks with a wide range of musical tastes would dig them, they're one of those bands that absolutely has to be seen/experienced live to fully "get it." I know that sounds very insiderish, but I can tell you from personal experience it's true. I'd heard about the band for a while, borrowed a CD or two from the library, and thought they were just aiiight but not worth a lot of excitement.

And then I saw them live, in a smallish hole-in-the-wall tavern in my city. Lifechanging, and I'm not exaggerating by much.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
Last night I saw guitarist Nita Strauss at Pittsburgh's Hard Rock Café. Aside from playing Alice Cooper's 18, it was all instrumental. While she can shred, the music wasn't self indulgent. It was a fun preview of when I get to see her with Alice again in a couple of months. After the show she did stick around for autographs and pictures. Of course I didn't pass up the chance.

[

Attached Files Image(s)

I've got good news and I've got bad news. The bad news is I've lost my way. The good news is I'm way ahead of schedule!