Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Concerts And You
Saw Ringo Starr and His All-Starr Band at the Oakland Paramount last month, so now I can say I saw a Beatle. I don't think I have it in me for a Paul concert these days. Anyhow, the real MVP just might have been Colin Hay, who can still hit the high notes on "Overkill."

Saw Mark Knopfler at the Berkeley Greek on Wednesday. He seemed a bit cranky, with words for the lighting crew and a smoke effect he didn't care for. But my god, that sound. Is there anyone else who plays like he does? The last time I saw him was over 30 years ago at Shoreline  when he was supporting Eric Clapton-- I was dependent on someone else's ride and had to miss the encore and still remember hearing "Money For Nothing" echo across the parking lot, so it gave me some long-overdue closure to finally see him play it here. The final tune of the night was of course "Going Home" from Local Hero, and even though someone forgot to mic the sax player it was all I could have asked for.
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth."--Steve McQueen
I saw that Clapton tour with Knopfler too. Great show!
(09-21-2019, 01:49 PM)Judas Booth Wrote: I saw that Clapton tour with Knopfler too.  Great show!

I may still have the program and t-shirt somewhere. If I recall correctly, the opener was Buckwheat Zydeco.
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth."--Steve McQueen
I have the shirt and program. Not sure where the program is but I have the shirt accessible. It was the 25th anniversary tour, if memory serves. I don't recall the opening act, unfortunately.
Weirdly, after a nearly two year hiatus from seeing live music (not intentionally), tonight my wife and I go see Morcheeba (wife a is a big fan), who we haven't seen live since maybe 2003. And next week, on Tuesday, we see the Black Keys, who we had traditionally seen annually and/or every time they showed up in NYC, from very small venues in 2001-2002 to 4,000+ halls in more recent years. Excited!
If you're happy, you're not paying attention.

Originally Posted by JacknifeJohnny: 
Glad that you guys worked that out amongst yourselves.

Have fun!
We're seeing Heart w/Joan Jett this coming Sunday. I've always wanted to see Heart...unfortunately, the setlist is kinda weak with a lot of covers. Hopefully it all plays better live than it looks on paper.
Going to ZZ Top and Cheap Trick Sunday. I've seen CT before and love them so, so much. I've never seen ZZ Top and I figured I should probably do that soon, because who knows how much longer it's going to be an option.
Judas - Joan Jett is playing with Heart, or is the concert just a double bill?  Because Joan Jett + Heart sounds fucking amazing, weak set list be damned.
If you're happy, you're not paying attention.

Originally Posted by JacknifeJohnny: 
Glad that you guys worked that out amongst yourselves.

Separately.

Unfortunately.

Honestly, my dream concert would be Heart, Pat Benatar, and Joan Jett all playing together on the same stage. Give them short individual set lists and then have all them together for like 45 minutes joining in on the major hits. Tell me THAT wouldn't be a gig.

Here was the setlist from Heart last night:
Rockin' Heaven Down
Magic Man
Love Alive
I Heard It Through the Grapevine / Straight On
The Boxer (Simon & Garfunkel cover)
These Dreams
Dog & Butterfly
Even It Up / Gimme Shelter
Mistral Wind
Crazy on You

Encore:
Stairway to Heaven (Led Zeppelin cover)
Alone (I-Ten cover)
Barracuda

That's it. With a huge catalog of music, that's it
Wait, Heart has a song called "Alone" but they're covering another song called "Alone"?
My karmic debt must be huge.

----------

My blog: An Embarrassment of Rich's
It was always a cover.
Well there's something new.
My karmic debt must be huge.

----------

My blog: An Embarrassment of Rich's
I saw Kix Saturday night and they kicked ass! At 61 singer Steve Whiteman is a ball of energy with a Mick Jagger like strut.

I've got good news and I've got bad news. The bad news is I've lost my way. The good news is I'm way ahead of schedule!
I saw Cheap Trick Sunday night and they rocked just like they did on Live at Budokan! They played She's Tight, Stiff Competition, Voices, and If You Want My Love. I let out a weird scream when they did Voices.
I've got good news and I've got bad news. The bad news is I've lost my way. The good news is I'm way ahead of schedule!