Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All-Ireland Chewers League
depends how you are getting there, you can simply drive through or get a train. Its like getting into Wales and Scotland really... last time i checked.
One of the best things about Dublin City, Diva, is that you'll likely find many must-see locations if you're remotely exploratory. St Stephen's Green and Temple Bar are prime examples. It's also well worth checking out historical locations like the General Post Office on O'Connell Street, something anyone familiar with the 1916 Easter Rising will be familiar with. Trinity College itself is a wonderful place to experience. The Dublin Writers Museum would probably be of interest to you, too.

Spike, it's very easy to get to Dublin from Belfast. Buses are frequent, affordable, and only a few hours long. However, I'd recommend taking the Enterprise (oh, yes) train. It's dearer, sure, but you'll save time and increase your comfort substantially.

On the entertainment side of things, there are a stack of "name" gigs coming up in Belfast. Unfortunately, most of them seem to fall either before or after your stay (for example the Maccabees are playing the Limelight on Thursday 28th May.) However, you'll have plenty of local options at your disposal; there are always bands playing and decent club options for most tastes. Gigantic and Radiation on Friday's and Saturday's, respectively, in Lavery's Bunker will cater for the vast majority. There's also some local bands on in the Spring & Airbrake care of Cashier No. 9, Mojo Fury, and Dutch Schultz (Big List Gig No. 2.) on Friday 29th. As with Dublin, Belfast rewards the roamer. If you fancy something a little more low-key, you could always just hole up in Auntie Annie's, Katie Daly's, the John Hewitt, or another pub and enjoy the company. There's rarely a dull moment.

On the cinema/Derry front, I'm not aware of anything out of the ordinary for that period. Any bands that play Derry usually have a Belfast date, so my need to head West for music is negligible. Same principle for movies, basically.

I hope that's been helpful! If you'd like any more Belfast-related information or have any other questions regarding travel specifics and so on, Spike, I'd be happy to help.
I'm been mulling over popping up to Derry for the Comic Con there. Hmmm.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Raziel
View Post
I'm been mulling over popping up to Derry for the Comic Con there. Hmmm.

That could make a great distraction before England for me. Thanks for planting the seed, Raz!

Apropos: Irish League News - supporting the wee Crues doesn't mean I can't express admiration for the new Linfield away strip. I'm not being funny - that seriously is a compliment towards the shirt. It looks smart.

Now, Lucy Evangelista is a popular lady. I, of course, understand why they've gone down this route again. However, those photos on the Blues' H.Q. as well as these on the Belfast Telegraph's gallery, are... curious. Despite prior lamentations over using sex to sell the distinctly unsexy prospect of anything Irish League, they've done it all over again. Does anyone else find this jarring, or has football and FHM style photography always belonged together?
Thanks for the recommendations guys. Aside from the usual 'tour of scenes of English brutality' I had a really great time in Derry and I've decided that I want to retire to Dublin at some point. Beautiful, beautiful place
My pleasure, Spike. Glad you enjoyed it.
Thanks for the advice, Bobby. Just booked my tix. I'll be in Dublin July 13 - 18. Looking forward to traveling up to Belfast for a day.
No problem at all, Diva. Excellent stuff; glad to be of help.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobby Bear
View Post
That could make a great distraction before England for me. Thanks for planting the seed, Raz!

Tank Girl artist Rufus Dayglo will be there, which sparked my interest...it's knida unlikely I'll be going, I really shoulda got myself organizied!
I'm the same. That period will probably be marked with travel-based "have I got this?", "do I need that?" type business. I could pre-plan against that and, potentially, leave myself no excuse to not train out to Derry and drop a few bills, but that's just not me.

Line-ups are always something I keep an eye on, then mostly ignore in favour of setting up camp at various booths come the day.
So I'm a total slacker and missed out on University housing. Do you all know anything about these hotels?

St Augustine Serviced Apartments
Christchurch Hall Apartments
Your Home From Home Apartments
Stay Dublin Apartments
Trinity couldn't swing it? Must be hectic; last time I was down during summer ('twas an August) I got a room at short notice. I've not stayed in any of those hotels, Diva; sorry. Hope Raziel or someone can help out here.
Why not try a B&B while you're here, Diva? I stayed at one for my first week here, and I loved it. Very friendly folk, the owners. Couldn't have hoped for a better start.
Which one? There are plenty of suggestions online, I just don't trust any of them without personal recommendations.
This is the one I used:

Bradoge House (Bed & Breakfast)

221 New Cabra Road

Dublin 7

Tel: 00353 1 – 838 8329

Mobile: +353 87 727 4653

bradoge@eircom.net

http://homepage.eircom.net/~bradoge
Thanks! I'll check it out.
Just back from a week in England. Had a blast. Manchester's ridiculously great, better than ever. I love home, but I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't miss... well, Manchester. A wormhole between there and Belfast would be ideal.
Wormhole isn't possible. Would you accept either hovercraft or monorail?
I surely would. Preferably, the latter. Hovercraft sounds slow and cumbersome. I favour the Mr. Bergstrom style dignity that only a train provides, even if it is slick and megafast.
Fair enough, plus with Monorail. You get to sit next to Leonard Nimoy.
I, for one, wouldn't want to switch seats.
And you get to see the cosmic ballet live on.
And I thought I'd maxed out all my Simpsons quotes yesterday with Christophe!
I meant to say before, my week in Manchester got off to a cracking start. When I was queuing up for the unnecessarily rude security check at the George Best Belfast City Airport, I noticed ex-Manchester United, Northern Ireland player - and manager - Sammy McIlroy enduring the same ordeal (with, presumably, his partner.) Being me, I got quite a kick out of this and endeavored to get the man's autograph. Once through to the Departure lounge, I thought I'd lost them, until I noticed said partner at the newsagents. After procuring July's issue of Four Four Two (the one with Cruyff on the cover) I noted her journey back to her seat and made my move. Sammy was thoroughly nice, seemed genuinely appreciative of the request, and more than happy to sign the Snap Shot on page 5 of Carlos Tevez (you will be missed) lifting the League. I was made up and this set the tone for what turned out to be an awesome week.

Anyone have any similar experiences in search of an Irish autograph?
Today, the U.V.F. (Ulster Volunteer Force) and Red Hand Commandos (different name for the same thing) are said to have totally decommissioned their arms. The U.D.A. (see Red Hand Commandos) also claim to have begun following suit. You can read all about it here.

I never thought I'd see the day, but the same went for the I.R.A.'s 2005 disarmament. Why the guarded tone, then? It's "an historic day.... further testimony to the transformation in Northern Ireland", according to Secretary of State Shaun Woodward [featured BBC article.] Well, as we witnessed in March, paramilitaries Here are not unlike your average Hollywood ghouls: beheading one doesn't mean two won't pop back up in its place.

It's more than that, though. Just yesterday I watched a newly unfurled U.V.F. flag rippling in the breeze, as I walked through neighbouring streets. It, of course, wasn't alone. Moments later, I passed a man wearing a U.V.F. shirt. Not a D.I.Y., Primark plain white tee later deformed by a home-made print, a genuine "I'm in the U.V.F." shirt. That this is probably that man's "job" and "uniform" (outside of 501's, a black bomber jacket, and balaclava, of course) appalls me on a level beyond concision.

Watching that clown walk around with impunity in the middle of a sunny Friday afternoon was, at once, infuriating and enlightening; it's our problem in microcosm. Too many people still don't see the abhorrence of their ways. His demeanour was not that of a man finally being dragged into civility along with his cohorts, nor was it a man afraid for his future. Rather, it was the same nonchalance exhibited by the sectarian mooncats I went to high school with, the guys who drew Loyalist murals during classes, hummed and drummed Loyalist tunes on the tables with their pens, and used the terms "Fenian" and "taig" in much the same breath as Nazi - a swagger (or saunter, as we say Here) that said "the more things change...."

Flying your country's flag, or whatever flag you wish, from a pole on the front of your house and flying terrorist - again, terrorist - flags (plural) on streetlights around your area are not the same thing.

I'm not ignorant enough to accuse the police of being ineffectual, but, in these matters, question marks arise as to their conviction. Any such flag spotted by or reported to an officer should be removed instantly. The same must also go for murals, no matter which acronym they champion. If we are, indeed, progressing, then there can be no alternative, least of all the shameful "that's just the way it is" attitude so prevalent in society.

I hate the fact that I thought better of reporting this offensive behaviour for fear of the inaction it would likely meet. I hate the fact that, after so long, these issues still annoy me this deeply. But most of all I hate the fact that the good people of Northern Ireland seem consigned to pessimism as long as it's "Us VS. Them" Here.
Wow, didn't hear about this Bobby. It's good news, although as you mention the March incident shows that cautious optimisim is the best approach.

On a lighter note, enjoyed my week in the Costa Del Sol!
Excellent stuff, Raz! Glad to hear it. Thanks for the support, by the way.
I'll be in Dublin in one week! Squee!!!
That is a great reason for excitement.
Spent 6 wonderful days in Dublin and toured the shit out of that place. Oh yeah, I also gave an awesome presentation of my research at Trinity College.
My packed itinerary included:

- The Dublin Castle
- St. Patrick's Cathedral
- The Guinness Storehouse and St. James Gate
- Kilmainham Goal
- Science Gallery exhibit "Infections"
- Oscar Wilde's childhood home
- Irish Film Institute
- Savoy Theater (saw Bruno)
- pretty much all of the Grafton Street area and Temple Bar, a little bit of North Liffey
- Jameson Distillery (I got to be one of the few people chosen to do a taste test of 5-year old Jameson vs. 12 yr old Johnny Walker Black and Jack Daniels).
- A day long tour to Wicklow that included seeing the Blessington Lakes, the Wicklow Gap, Glendalough, and Avoca. At Glendalough I did a 2 hour hike up the mountain side to see an amazing view of St. Kevin's Bed nestled between the Upper and Lower lakes. And at Avoca we got to see the longest running handmade weaving mill at work.

I also ate a traditional Irish breakfast and delicious Irish Stew, heard live Irish folk music, and chatted with four amazingly drunk homeless people at a No. Liffey tram station. I didn't get around to seeing the Yeats exhibition at the National Library, the National Museum of Ireland, and the Viking Museum and tour. And I'm jealous that Real Spain and U2 will be in Dublin a few days after I leave! It can't be said enough that the weather sucks balls, but overall I had an amazing time! If anyone has a chance to go, Dublin is a wonderful city.
I'm off down to Galway for a few days. Have been there many times before, but not for a few years.
So how are my fellow compatriots? Enjoyed Galway, btw. Saw some of the Galway Arts Festival exhibitions.
Good, thanks. Nothing strange or startling. Glad you had a nice time in Galway. I'm off for a few days next week. Might take myself off somewhere. Suggestions welcome.
Apropos of nothing, does anyone else find Gráinne Seoige enchanting?
She is indeed quite stunner, but my heart belongs to news cutie Sharon Ní Bheoláin.