Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Confessions of a West Wing virgin...
Abed from Community just walked through Santos' campaign room in one of the Season 7 episodes, had half a line and handed Josh a piece of paper.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jcassady
View Post
I guess the realism is that by that point the President is a lame duck and because Bartlett was not overwhelmingly popular, no one would stick their neck out for him. So while they wanted to get stuff done, in the end it is probably a bunch of helping out friends and looking for new jobs.

In terms of storytelling, CJ's character had become awful, the Toby storyline was frustrating and no one cared about Charlie unless he was with the President. The election stories were the only ray of hope.

This brings up something I've always wondered. Should they have gone all out on Bartlet's re-election insted of kinda moving it to the background and and sacraficing anything with Santos/Vinick in S6-S7. And just kept the entire show about about the Bartlet administration and leaving his successor up in the air.

And seeing the commercials for Smits new show...I would still love to see a West Wing TV mvoie or something with the Santos administration.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul755
View Post
Until he shows up in the election day episode I had forgotten him...but damn Season 7 is very devoid of Charlie.

Yeah, I'm really noticing that too. Wierdly enough I'm finding myself wanting to see more of Cliff Calley and Curtis, the new Charlie. Abby Bartlett's line about wanting to watch him eat a pie is hilarious.

Sheen's breakdown on the bathroom floor on the China trip about how he can't do the job like this is probably the best bit of acting in the entire series. The bit in the sit room where he reminds the Chiefs about the weather in Kazikstan and how the troops will need cold-weather gear is pretty great, too. It shows how far he's come in dealing with what were once intimidating military situations.

I'm a few episodes into Season 2 and the one thing I loved is how Mandy is unceremoniously dropped from the show.   She wasn't even written out and there wasn't even a line of dialogue to explain where she went.   She was just disappeared.   I mean how hard would it have been to write these lines?

Josh: Hey where's Mandy?

Sam:  You know that shooting a few weeks back?   She didn't make it.

It's like Sorkin just assumed nobody would miss her and of course he was correct Smile.   Looking at the pilot, it looks like it was structurally speaking,  going to be a much different show than what it ended up being the second episode onward.   Namely,  Martin Sheen would show up infrequently and the series would focus mainly on the staff.   In that kind of show, I could see Mandy working out.   Once the focus shifted to the President, I could see why she wouldn't be needed.   Looking forward to where this show goes and I'm already wishing there was a sequel series to this (perhaps the Sam Seaborn administration?)

No more excuses.   The West Wing is on Netflix Instant.

ABumping this thread as another West Wing virgin who has started watching the show on Netflix. I've been familiar with Sorkin's work for some time now, but I have never seen what is arguably his greatest achievement in its entirety. It's staggeringly good so far, and it's refreshing to see a show celebrate public service while still showing that these characters are flawed people. None of them are above being shortsighted and spiteful to achieve a political win, which renders the oft-repeated accusation that they're these unrealistic, morally pure creatures a little silly. At this point in a new, pre-9/11 administration with a president of Bartlet's stature, I can buy the idealism.

Am I one of the few fans who doesn't hate Mandy? I'm only on Episode 9, but I like that she's usually the pragmatic one who knows when to pick a fight and when to fold. It provides a nice contrast to the reluctance of Josh and Toby to compromise when they feel they're in the right. I do question how a freelancing PR person is able to consistently get so much access to the president's inner circle, though.

I'm looking forward to watching more. I've heard that Season 2 is great television from start to finish.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Draco Senior View Post

Bumping this thread as another West Wing virgin who has started watching the show on Netflix. I've been familiar with Sorkin's work for some time now, but I have never seen what is arguably his greatest achievement in its entirety. It's staggeringly good so far, and it's refreshing to see a show celebrate public service while still showing that these characters are flawed people. None of them are above being shortsighted and spiteful to achieve a political win, which renders the oft-repeated accusation that they're these unrealistic, morally pure creatures a little silly. At this point in a new, pre-9/11 administration with a president of Bartlet's stature, I can buy the idealism.

Am I one of the few fans who doesn't hate Mandy? I'm only on Episode 9, but I like that she's usually the pragmatic one who knows when to pick a fight and when to fold. It provides a nice contrast to the reluctance of Josh and Toby to compromise when they feel they're in the right. I do question how a freelancing PR person is able to consistently get so much access to the president's inner circle, though.

I'm looking forward to watching more. I've heard that Season 2 is great television from start to finish..

This is pretty much everything I wanted to type, save for my dislike of Mandy.

On Ep 11 now. I have so many friends who love this show, yet I've never sat down and watched it, in part because of my annoyance at Sorkin's worst tics. (I watched Studio 60, and it remains one of TV's great unintentional comedies.)  However, I'm only halfway through the first season and realize how amazing-yet-still-preachy Sorkin is. This might be the best network drama cast ever.

Started to watch The West Wing a few weeks ago on Netflix and I'm quite pleased that I did. Especially since it seems like Netflix will be losing it to the HBO streaming service. I'm currently at the start of season 3 and I am really enjoying the series. There are so many little moments that I just love. Almost every interaction between Leo and Margaret is gold and of course, my absolute favorite character is Donna. I watched The Newsroom and feel like Sorkin really had a problem writing female characters but somehow Donna is awesome. I really hope that her character remains as awesome throughout the series.
I think these screen captures and giant (Dildi? Is there a plural?) are just the next step in the JJ Abrams online adventure series. Very slyly played, Bitches Leave.-Tom Fuchs
Donna might just be my biggest TV crush of all time.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
I had no idea how awesome Ron Silver was. I mean, I've seen Timecop about 50 times and he was delightfully sleazy as the crooked senator. I just love the guy. His accent combined with that sharp dialog and I now have another favorite character.
I think these screen captures and giant (Dildi? Is there a plural?) are just the next step in the JJ Abrams online adventure series. Very slyly played, Bitches Leave.-Tom Fuchs
If you are not listening to the West Wing Weekly podcast while watching, you should be. They have some great interviews with actors on the show and a good discussion of events. They are nearing the series end of the podcast and it has been a great companion piece to my rewatch.
"Wilford Brimley can't be bothered to accept praise. He doesn't act because he thinks people will enjoy his work. He acts because it's his goddamned job." --Will Harris, AV Club
I've never actually listened to a podcast but I may have to check that out. Sounds like it cold be very interesting.
I kept up with it through their coverage of the first four seasons. After that, you could kinda feel their enthusiasm for it dip a bit, and I drifted away.
Just this guy, you know?
So. We started this. Never seen it before and we were looking for a new show to binge.
We're three episodes in and yep, we're hooked.
'make sure you pay attention to the awesome suits' - Nooj on UNDERWATER
Nice. It’s so good and only 3 eps in you have some really fantastic stuff to look forward too.

I’ve been rewatching myself, I’m about halfway thru the last season. 

I would put seasons 1-4 up against anything on tv in the past…eh…10 years or so and pick it over pretty much everything.
"Every romantic comedy should just be called "Tryin' to Fuck" - Patton Oswalt