Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Home Theatre Thread
AAhem...http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-65-class-64-5-diag-led-2160p-smart-3d-4k-ultra-hd-tv-with-high-dynamic-range-black/4804100.p?skuId=4804100

It makes BvS slightly better.

Btw, I'm finally getting around the sprucing up a dedicated room to the theater (the above TV is the family room). Need to find a good storage rack for all my discs. Wish Sonos would support something more than basic Dolby 5.1
Quote:

Originally Posted by SAIRUS View Post

Ahem...http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-65-class-64-5-diag-led-2160p-smart-3d-4k-ultra-hd-tv-with-high-dynamic-range-black/4804100.p?skuId=4804100

Is this an edgelit or full array LED?

AEdgelit

I picked up one of these:

http://www.samsung.com/us/televisions-ho...s900dfxza/

this weekend and I had an Onkyo TX-RZ810 that I picked up for a steal a few weeks back. Jesus the TV is thin. Hardest thing was getting the right washers and screws for the mount.

Replaced my 51 inch plasma and replaced a 7 year old TX-NR700 series.

Amazon has quite a bit of 4K content with HDR, that was a pleasant surprise.

Quote:

Originally Posted by neil spurn View Post

Awright Overlord, you persuasive jelly bastard, since I got that promotion at work, I could justify the extra cost of a 65" OLED.

It is biiiiiiiiiiiiig.

Very well done.  Much props.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonathan Parker View Post

I picked up one of these:

http://www.samsung.com/us/televisions-ho...s900dfxza/

this weekend and I had an Onkyo TX-RZ810 that I picked up for a steal a few weeks back. Jesus the TV is thin. Hardest thing was getting the right washers and screws for the mount.

Replaced my 51 inch plasma and replaced a 7 year old TX-NR700 series.

Amazon has quite a bit of 4K content with HDR, that was a pleasant surprise.

HDR.  4k.  65 inches.  Edgelit, but supposedly Samsung has found a decent way to dim edgelit screens.

Nicely done.

Well the HH Gregg across the street from my office has pretty much sold all their TVs. There are a few open boxes and one still in box that's a 65" curved screen. Just under $2k right now (20% off). I've bought a few other things so far--6 outlet surge protector, pack of 2 memory foam pillows (both 50% off), and a new end table for our new gigantic color all-in-one laser printer (30% off). Still a ton of appliances, though. Our oven is the only appliance we haven't replaced in our house yet (we've lived here for 19 years), so I'm keeping my eye out. I've been going there about every other day at lunch since the announcement. I have my eye on a Polk soundbar/subwoofer than I'm waiting to drop to 30% off.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martianman View Post

Well the HH Gregg across the street from my office has pretty much sold all their TVs. There are a few open boxes and one still in box that's a 65" curved screen. Just under $2k right now (20% off). I've bought a few other things so far--6 outlet surge protector, pack of 2 memory foam pillows (both 50% off), and a new end table for our new gigantic color all-in-one laser printer (30% off). Still a ton of appliances, though. Our oven is the only appliance we haven't replaced in our house yet (we've lived here for 19 years), so I'm keeping my eye out. I've been going there about every other day at lunch since the announcement. I have my eye on a Polk soundbar/subwoofer than I'm waiting to drop to 30% off.

Please don't get a soundbar.

The checklist for televisions right now has to include HDR.  If it isn't HDR, keep looking.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Overlord View Post

Please don't get a soundbar.

The checklist for televisions right now has to include HDR.  If it isn't HDR, keep looking.

I've got a Bose sound system I got from a friend but I don't have the room or cabling run to set it all up. And I'm lazy.

Not ready to get a new TV yet--shit keeps changing so fast, I'm trying to put it off until I really have to get one.

ASound bars aren't nearly as good as a decent 5.1 system, but they're still much better than your typical crap built in flat screen speaker. I wouldn't over spend on one though. (And I have less than stellar opinions on Bose)
ASomeone explain HDTV calibration to me. Can I do it myself and if so, how? And should I even bother given the age of my TV (bought it in 2011)?

I googled some of this info but wasn't terribly satisfied or enlightened with what I found..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraid uh noman View Post

Someone explain HDTV calibration to me. Can I do it myself and if so, how? And should I even bother given the age of my TV (bought it in 2011)?

I googled some of this info but wasn't terribly satisfied or enlightened with what I found..

Home HDTV calibration isn't particular easy.  For the gamma/color specifics you need to go into advanced settings and start playing around with the various individual calibrations ... while it is possible to use this without a handheld tool that pros use, it is very tedious and difficult to do so.

I can, however, give you some good tips that should work on basically every modern HDTV.

1.) Turn off every single signal processing gimmick.  This includes DNR/noise reduction, edge enhancement, auto motion (called by various names, but it attempts to change a 24fps picture into a 60fps and creates a terrible fake looking soap opera effect that will give you eye cancer), black level auto adjust, etc. etc. etc.  Turn ALL THAT SHIT OFF.  This is the single best thing you can do to improve movie viewing.  The only exception might be for the setting that forces HDR into non-HDR sources.  While purists would scoff, I would actually say I love that one.

If you aren't sure, post the settings here and I'll look them up and confirm what you should do.

2.)Turn the brightness to mid level.  Mid level DOES NOT NECESSARILY MEAN 50 (although usually it is).  For one of my sets, for example, mid level is actually about 35.

3.)Turn the backlight setting to mid-level as well.

4.)Crank the contrast up to 90-95.  THIS IS REALLY IMPORTANT.

5.)Color settings:  DO.  NOT.  USE.  THE.  DEFAULT.  For most televisions, WARM 2 or maybe WARM 1 is what you're going to want for colors.  You can try to individually calibrate, but it's really difficult to do.

6.)Sharpness should be at mid point.  Again, turn off any "sharpening" features on the television that are on (this ties into #1, above).

7.)If you're doing all this, your television should be on "Custom."  Not "VIVID" or "GAMES" or some other settings.  This is important, because if you don't do all of this under a CUSTOM heading the television may revert back to its original settings when you flick around.  I would also recommend locking your CUSTOM choices so kids or people with vision problems (like Schwartz) don't start screwing around with your settings.

8.)If your television has a "black level" setting, that should be turned all the way up (meaning the television can get really black).

Hope that helps.

AWow...I had mine set better than I thought.

Backlight-maxed
Contrast-maxed
Hue-dead center (0)
Color temp- Neutral
Sharpness-50
Brightness-45
Color-55
And all of the things that could produce the soap opera effect turned off. I despise that..
Quote:

Wow...I had mine set better than I thought.

Backlight-maxed
Contrast-maxed
Hue-dead center (0)
Color temp- Neutral
Sharpness-50
Brightness-45
Color-55
And all of the things that could produce the soap opera effect turned off. I despise that..

Full backlight is great for certain types of televisions (Full array LEDs).  If you have an edge-lit LED, it can create problems, but you would probably have noticed them by now.

I would try the other color temp settings, but it looks like your insight has served you well.  They do you credit, and hopefully can be made to serve the Emperor.

AThis is the first TV and the first time that I've never had any complaints about the way anything has looked. If something ever looks bad, it's due to the blu having a poor transfer (Image's Hellraiser 2 and Hills Have Eyes or Echo Bridge's Halloween H20 for example). No complaints. It makes everything look exactly how I want it to. But if I can make it even better with the advanced setting calibration then I'm certainly not opposed to that. I hear that you can really mess your TV up fooling with the advanced settings if you don't know what you're doing..
Quote:

This is the first TV and the first time that I've never had any complaints about the way anything has looked. If something ever looks bad, it's due to the blu having a poor transfer (Image's Hellraiser 2 and Hills Have Eyes or Echo Bridge's Halloween H20 for example). No complaints. It makes everything look exactly how I want it to. But if I can make it even better with the advanced setting calibration then I'm certainly not opposed to that. I hear that you can really mess your TV up fooling with the advanced settings if you don't know what you're doing..

The really advanced color/gamma settings are very, very difficult to do at home (color wheels and your eyes really aren't up to the task as opposed to handheld sensors that pros use).

AI started playing the new Uncharted game in HDR on my LG OLED (stop snickering, overlord!!!) and whooooooooo-weeeee!

It's soooo beautiful and bright!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnooj82 View Post

I started playing the new Uncharted game in "HDR" on my [2016] LG OLED (stop snickering, overlord!!!) and whooooooooo-weeeee!

It's soooo beautiful and bright!

Looking forward to playing the shit out of that game if Diablo 3 aka Video Game Crack ever releases its hold on me.

The Uncharted games are beautiful and Uncharted 4 really took advantage of HDR.

AYeah I'll have to revisit Uncharted 4 now.
AAlso....I've never seen a TV with an adjustable BLACK LEVEL.

If it's on mine then I just haven't found it..
Quote:

Also....I've never seems TV with an adjustable BLACK LEVEL.

If it's on mine then I just haven't found it..

http://www.tomsguide.com/forum/53075-4-p...light-dark

http://helpguide.sony.net/di/pp/v1/en/co...09110.html

https://www.cnet.com/forums/discussions/...hdr-notes/

Black level is a fundamental adjustable setting on seemingly every modern television.  HOWEVER, for some televisions that isn't a convenient: "black level" label (though I think both my televisions do have it).  For some, it's buried in the hopelessly convoluted individual gamma/color table.  Obviously, you're going to want that set that all the way down unless there is a very good reason not to.

ADespite not having that setting...the blacks on my TV have always impressed me. None of them have ever looked gray when they shouldn't. It's always inky and deep.

One movie and scene that showed me that it's blacks were great was in the original Halloween towards the end when Jamie Lee is leaning against a wall with a pitch dark doorway behind her. It was so deep that nothing of Myers' could be seen until his mask gradually lit up in the dark. Every time I watched that movie on VHS and DVD prior to that, the darkness was weak and you could make some of him out in the dark doorway before the mask gets brighter. That's the first time I'd ever seen correct video settings help to preserve directorial intent. I was thrilled to see that scene play out that way. It looked super cool..
Quote:

Despite not having that setting...the blacks on my TV have always impressed me. None of them have ever looked gray when they shouldn't. It's always inky and deep.

One movie and scene that showed me that it's blacks were great was in the original Halloween towards the end when Jamie Lee is leaning against a wall with a pitch dark doorway behind her. It was so deep that nothing of Myers' could be seen until his mask gradually lit up in the dark. Every time I watched that movie on VHS and DVD prior to that, the darkness was weak and you could make some of him out in the dark doorway before the mask gets brighter. That's the first time I'd ever seen correct video settings help to preserve directorial intent. I was thrilled to see that scene play out that way. It looked super cool..

You had me at "inky and deep."

I sold my house nearly 2 years ago now and since that point I have been without surround sound. I've been running a 3.2 system with a Left, Right, center and 2 Subwoofers. I haven't done the surrounds because of apartment life. I didn't want to be stringing cables from my AVR to the left and right of my couch.

Well, I missed it. Once you've had decent surround sound everything sounds a bit empty. Soundbars are goodish, if they have surrounds, betterish. Anyway, I wanted to come up with a way that I could set up some speakers as surrounds but wirelessly from AVR.

What I needed.

Surround speakers. You can get floor standing or book shelf and a couple of stands.

Power Amp. To RCA audio and amp it to drive speakers.

Transmitter/Receiver. Ability to wirelessly trasmit RCA audio.

A High level speaker to low level RCA converter if your amp doesn't have discrete RCA outputs. Mine doesn't.

A table or rack to mount it on.

I also got a "Smart" IOT surge protector, so I could turn on and off the AMP either by the app of by shouting at my Google assistant.

I had a bunch of 12AWG OFC speaker cable and banana plugs already.

I ended up with a Crown XLi800 which is a 300W at 4ohms 2 channel amp. The speakers I got are up to 10-175W at 8ohms, so the amp is not kicking out more than they can handle. Plus only surrounds. You can get cheaper amps but I wanted one that ran cool with nearly zero fan noise when it got warm. Plus, it had the added advantage that it has dual input sensitivity 0.775v or 1.4V just in case the converter was throwing out shitty voltage.

I got BIC America's WTR-SYS wireless system as I used that to get a wireless signal to a SUB at a mates house who wanted the sub behind him but didn't want to run a cable. It worked flawlessly.

Put some banana plugs on the converter to plug in the surround Left and Right on the AVR. Plugged in a short RCA cable from the converter to the transmitter on the BIC.

From the receiver another short RCA cable to the inputs on the AMP.

Plugged the speakers into the amp.

Made sure I had my channels assigned correctly and my polarity correct and I was good to go.

I lost my Audyssey mic, so I did the setup by ear.

I now have surround sound again.

This did end up costing me a bit, but I could have got an AMP off EBAY etc but in the end the cost saving wasn't that much. I could have gone with a much cheaper amp but you run the risk of buzz or excessive fan noise. You can get them from China with built in USB, Bluetooth and SD card readers so you can use the speakers for music or something. I have chromecast built into my AVR so didn't need it.

I wish I had done this ages ago TBH.

If any of you have input or suggestions on how I should have done it differently let me know.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonathan Parker 

I ended up with a Crown XLi800 which is a 300W at 4ohms 2 channel amp. The speakers I got are up to 10-175W at 8ohms, so the amp is not kicking out more than they can handle. Plus only surrounds.

Someone did their homework.

So our 55 inch LG flat screen is showing the entire grid of its LED backlight when displaying bright colors or white.

Am I basically screwed... as in... time for a new TV?
I think so, yeah.
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
(05-02-2018, 08:44 PM)nickp Wrote: So our 55 inch LG flat screen is showing the entire grid of its LED backlight when displaying bright colors or white.

Am I basically screwed... as in... time for a new TV?

You're not "screwed."  This is great news for you, my friend.

Now you can partake in one of life's greatest joys: shopping for a new television, without being bothered by niggling guilt that the purchase isn't necessary.
[Image: latest?cb=20130405010724]
My goofy movie room is all over the place with random catches of various pieces of equipment. Nothing top-shelf but it all works well enough for me!

HDTV: Sony KDL 32M4000
CRT: Sony Trinitron Wega KV-27FV17
Surround Amp: Sony STRK670P 5.1 DTS
Blu-Ray Player: Song BDP-S3100
DVD Players: Philips DVP-5990, Cyberhome CH-DVD500, PolkAudio Surround 360
DVD-R: Panasonic DMR-ES25 (for LaserDisc scaling)
LaserDisc Players: Pioneers - CLD-V2600, CLD-S104, CLD-M90
VCRs: Panasonic PV-S7670, Sharp VC-H812
Turntable: SL-B200