Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Home Theatre Thread
I got the sound bar and woofer or whatever that thing is. I just know it's LOUD AS FUCK. And balances dialogue and music and sounds to a degree I've never had before. That's plenty good for me I guess..
Yeah, those background/ambience speakers really make a lot of difference.
If you're happy, you're not paying attention.

Originally Posted by JacknifeJohnny: 
Glad that you guys worked that out amongst yourselves.

(04-17-2019, 02:46 PM)fraid uh noman Wrote: I got the sound bar and woofer or whatever that thing is. I just know it's LOUD AS FUCK. And balances dialogue and music and sounds to a degree I've never had before. That's plenty good for me I guess..

Yeah those are certainly better than the tv speakers. My subwoofer just started making a weird noise so it looks like I have to buy another.
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
Been thinking of an ATMOS setup...need to save up a little for it.

I stopped using my projector and made a switch to a 65" OLED.
A My Blu-Ray Movies | er u tang is?
Officially at 5.1.4 now. That .4 was kinda overkill, but when it hits, oh its soooo good.
A My Blu-Ray Movies | er u tang is?
Nice.

Recently splurged on a 75 inch TCL 6 series for the bedroom. Best TV value I have seen since the Vizios of 3-4 years ago.

Dumped my Atmos up firing modules and installed (ironically cheaper) Monoprice ceiling speakers this weekend. The difference is palpable. 'Fury Road', 'Gravity', and the Matrix trilogy all show huge improvements in sound placement and detail.
(10-14-2019, 08:17 AM)mondguy Wrote: Dumped my Atmos up firing modules and installed (ironically cheaper) Monoprice ceiling speakers this weekend.  The difference is palpable.  'Fury Road', 'Gravity', and the Matrix trilogy all show huge improvements in sound placement and detail.

Ceiling speakers demonstrate huge improvements in sound placement and detail over an Atmos set-up?

[Image: dd0.png]

Clarification: I replaced only the Atmos upfiring modules and replaced them with ceiling speakers.

My ceiling was just too low for the 'bounce' effect to work properly. I'd hear a vague sense of sound in the height channels, but nothing detailed. The ceiling speakers acting as the height channels are much, much better defined.
I'm about 1000% less concerned with audio than video. And yeah, it's mostly to do with a space issue. It's not BAD it's just not conducive to accommodating "the best." One day, when I'm in a bigger house maybe. For now, the plain old sound bar set up sounds extraordinarily good..
(10-15-2019, 08:28 AM)mondguy Wrote: Clarification: I replaced only the Atmos upfiring modules and replaced them with ceiling speakers.

My ceiling was just too low for the 'bounce' effect to work properly. I'd hear a vague sense of sound in the height channels, but nothing detailed. The ceiling speakers acting as the height channels are much, much better defined.

You mounted them to your ceiling or put them in ceiling? One I could handle the other I certainly can't.
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
I mounted them in the ceiling. I have cheap drop ceiling tiles, so cutting into them was easy. Had to get support brackets though.
(10-15-2019, 08:34 AM)fraid uh noman Wrote: I'm about 1000% less concerned with audio than video. And yeah, it's mostly to do with a space issue. It's not BAD it's just not conducive to accommodating "the best." One day, when I'm in a bigger house maybe. For now, the plain old sound bar set up sounds extraordinarily good..

I dunno ... audio makes a huge difference.

The leap from mono television to 2.1 is a completely game-changer.  The jump to 5.1 is also profoundly impressive.

After that ... ehhh .... YMMV. I've experimented with atmos and multi sub set-ups and I can't say that I terribly noticed too much different, with one exception:  adding height speakers REALLY opened up the soundstage.  I'm running a 7.1 with two front "height" channels and I'm very happy with that on my main system.

7.1 is a minimal improvement, unless you have a large listening area. Atmos or DTS:X with the right mix and speaker setup can be very noticeable.
Yeah, that's the thing. I don't have a living room that one could play football in. When(if) I ever do, I'll concentrate on that sort of thing more. Probably would need a bigger TV too..
My tv died last night.  50" Panasonic Viera.

Was watching tv, heard a click and the picture disappeared.  After that, I was unable to shut the tv off and even after unplugging it, when I turned it back on, same thing.

So...I need to buy a new tv.  I haven't looked at tvs in years.  50" is ideal for my place, based on my current setup and available space.  I am, however, quickly noticing that there don't seem to be many 50" available anymore.  I may be able to fit a 55" in tv in my place, but that would be the max.

Any one have any tips on the best manufactures at the moment?  I loved my Panasonic, but, apparently, they no longer make tvs anymore.

I wouldn't say money is no object, but I can definitely afford a quality tv.  I'm not shopping on a budget.  Then again, I am not looking to pay $5,000 for a tv.  Something around $1500-2000.  Maybe less if it is quality.  I think my Panasonic was around $1300 when I first bought it.

Any one have any recommendations on where to start?

ETA:

Also, my tv was 3D capable.  While I don't use it much, I did enjoy having the ability to use it when I wanted to.  It looks like there may not be many tvs, if any, that have 3D as an available option.  Does it even exist anymore on newer televisions?
3D is dead in terms of new TVs as far as I'm aware.

I had to go with a previous year's LG OLED to keep 3D functionality. I got the 2016 model in 2017 because it was the last year to support it.

You said you're not shopping on a budget, but I have friends who are enjoying the simplicity of TCL's 4K TVs. They're very basic, but quite solid from what I've seen. They operate on a Roku OS and have NO trace of motion smoothing as an option! hahahaha
Mr. RCA:
I love the Panasonic Viera screens - I have a 50" 4k Plasma with 3D as well (one of their last generation of 3D plasma models to be produced). It is my understanding that the current TV market has become so cut-throat that Panasonic pulled out of the U.S. market a couple of years ago. They are still here in Canada, so depending on where you are located, some cross-border shopping may be in order if you still prefer the Pano product. As for 3D, those are few and far between now. I may be incorrect, but I do not believe there is a single model from any manufacturer currently offers 3D as a feature. If you truly want that, I believe a 4K projector is the only current option. I am having sound issues; however. The HDMI switching circuitry on my Tascam 7.1 receiver gave up the ghost a couple of weeks ago. I did manage to create a work-around by patching HDMI video from my components directly into the monitor and routing digital audio into the receiver via fibre-optic connections (thank goodness for multiple connection options!). All the audio signal processing seems to work so it appears to be strictly a problem with the HDMI board. It's my understanding that the Tascams are slightly disguised Onkyos of a certain generation that had similar problems. I've discovered a fix for the issue online that requires a soldering iron, the replacement of a few capacitors on the HDMI board, and the installation of a supplementary cooling fan - about $20 in parts and 2 hours of work. As for your future TV, if my cross-border Panasonic suggestion isn't workable or feasible, take a look a some of the OLED models; the resolution and contrast is breathtaking and they are certainly in your budget range. And if you buy at Costco (at least in Canada), the prices are hard to beat and include a 30-day full return policy and extended warranty coverage at no extra charge.
Get an LG OLED. My buddy has one and it’s superior to my Samsung QLED. The new ones are coming soon, the 2018 are cheap in Canada right now.
Appreciate all the input! Thank you!

(03-04-2020, 03:23 PM)Nooj Wrote: 3D is dead in terms of new TVs as far as I'm aware.

I had to go with a previous year's LG OLED to keep 3D functionality. I got the 2016 model in 2017 because it was the last year to support it.

You said you're not shopping on a budget, but I have friends who are enjoying the simplicity of TCL's 4K TVs. They're very basic, but quite solid from what I've seen. They operate on a Roku OS and have NO trace of motion smoothing as an option! hahahaha

Checked out the TCL's. Says they are pretty good, but not great for gaming though. I am not heavy gamer, but I do play a couple times a week, so that would be something I would be looking for.

Are you happy with your current LG?

(03-04-2020, 03:32 PM)chief zabu Wrote: Mr. RCA:
I love the Panasonic Viera screens - I have a 50" 4k Plasma with 3D as well (one of their last generation of 3D plasma models to be produced). It is my understanding that the current TV market has become so cut-throat that Panasonic pulled out of the U.S. market a couple of years ago. They are still here in Canada, so depending on where you are located, some cross-border shopping may be in order if you still prefer the Pano product. As for 3D, those are few and far between now. I may be incorrect, but I do not believe there is a single model from any manufacturer currently offers 3D as a feature. If you truly want that, I believe a 4K projector is the only current option. I am having sound issues; however. The HDMI switching circuitry on my Tascam 7.1 receiver gave up the ghost a couple of weeks ago. I did manage to create a work-around by patching HDMI video from my components directly into the monitor and routing digital audio into the receiver via fibre-optic connections (thank goodness for multiple connection options!). All the audio signal processing seems to work so it appears to be strictly a problem with the HDMI board. It's my understanding that the Tascams are slightly disguised Onkyos of a certain generation that had similar problems. I've discovered a fix for the issue online that requires a soldering iron, the replacement of a few capacitors on the HDMI board, and the installation of a supplementary cooling fan - about $20 in parts and 2 hours of work. As for your future TV, if my cross-border Panasonic suggestion isn't workable or feasible, take a look a some of the OLED models; the resolution and contrast is breathtaking and they are certainly in your budget range. And if you buy at Costco (at least in Canada), the prices are hard to beat and include a 30-day full return policy and extended warranty coverage at no extra charge.

I am in Chicago, so not sure about shopping in Canada. My grandmother was from Canada, and I am part French Canadian, so I am a fan of Canada, just probably not feasible for me to buy from there as I would like to pick up a new tv in the next couple days, if possible.

Also, you seem to be way more tech savvy than I am. Wish I had that kind of knowledge to mess with my tv/entertainment setup. Wink

I loved my Panasonic, but I feel like I might just have to bite the bullet and get something that is up to date, and available locally, even if I have to sacrifice 3D. Sucks, but I will live I guess. Maybe when Avatar 2 comes out they will come back into fashion. haha. I have a friend who is pretty tech savvy and the first thing he told me was to get an OLED. So, if you are recommending it as well, I think it is probably a good thing for me to consider.

(03-04-2020, 03:45 PM)mcirish Wrote: Get an LG OLED. My buddy has one and it’s superior to my Samsung QLED. The new ones are coming soon, the 2018 are cheap in Canada right now.

This is also what my friend recommended. LG OLED. He said he went with a Vizio, mainly for the price and that is was, for him, the "best bang for your buck", but he said LG's are great, just out of his price range. A lot of reviews that I have been checking out seem to say they are the best.

This is all definitely helpful and will help me narrow my search. Thanks to all of you!
(03-04-2020, 04:22 PM)RCA Wrote: Checked out the TCL's.  Says they are pretty good, but not great for gaming though.  I am not heavy gamer, but I do play a couple times a week, so that would be something I would be looking for.

Are you happy with your current LG?

ah, of the three friends that went with TCLs, only one of them use it for gaming (as well as video editing).

I saw that friend use his TCL to play Tomb Raider on the XBox One once.  I didn't get the impression that he had any pressing concerns about it.  I assume it's not great for gaming because of lag or something?

I am happy with my LG.  Although, I do end up fiddling with the picture settings a lot depending on a particular 4K disc.
(03-04-2020, 04:50 PM)Nooj Wrote: I saw that friend use his TCL to play Tomb Raider on the XBox One once.  I didn't get the impression that he had any pressing concerns about it.  I assume it's not great for gaming because of lag or something?

Actually, I think I misread what I saw. It says the lag is actually pretty low, so it isn't bad for gaming. Been reading too many reviews today...
Mr. RCA:
I'm in the process of fixing up the basement for a 'man cave' so I'll be in the market for a new display shortly. I've heard and read some really good things about the LG OLED units. And the timing is perfect: thanks to manufacturing economies of scale, prices have dropped considerably over the past couple of years. On Costco's US site you can pick up a 65" LG OLED for as little as US$1,899 (or a 55" for about US$1,300) - and they most likely have them in stock at warehouses for an even cheaper cash n'carry price. And yes, they have the 2-year extended warranty as well. Look at them side-by-side and even the cheapest OLED will blow any LCD screen out of the water.
TCL's are good, I just got one for my Dad because the 43 inch version is being sold really cheap BUT keep in mind they don't always have the highest Peak Brightness which is what HDR needs. Be sure to get the higher end TCL and read the reviews paying attention to how it handles HDR.

Same goes for Hisense.
Can someone give me a quick suggestion for calibrating my TV settings? My DVDs look really shitty on my SONY Blu player. I have an LG TV. I have my settings on Cinema, but I tinkered with them a bit and it didn't help. I'm not sure how to balance the Contrast, Sharpness, and Brightness, I have Sharpness low and Contrast high - am I doing this right?

"Got concrete rhymes, been rappin' for ten years and

Even when I'm braggin', I'm bein' sincere"

"Teenage angst has paid off well/ Now I'm bored and old"

"Drunk as hell, but no throwin' up

Half way home and my pager still blowin' up"

"I'm tired of living all alone
yeah, nobody ever calls me on the phone
But when things start getting bad
I just play my music louder"

Sharpness should be 0 if possible. Contrast depends, if you have a Pixar/Disney disc that comes with a calibration menu, use that. I'm at 80 out of 100 on my Vizio. Brightness should be at neutral, 50 out of 100 or equivalant. Backlight is what you adjust as needed if you want the picture brighter.

Turn off every processing effect you can find. Noise Reduction, Dynamic Contrast, smoothing, all of it off. The only good thing in those menus is usually 24p/"film" mode.

If your bluray player menu has any DVD-specific noise reduction settings, turn those off as well.

Rtings.com might have a suggestion for your TV model to try.
what’s the specific model of LG that you have?

And what model Sony?
Turning the sharpness down really helped. My setting had it at 50. I have it on 12 now. A big difference. Much appreciated.

"Got concrete rhymes, been rappin' for ten years and

Even when I'm braggin', I'm bein' sincere"

"Teenage angst has paid off well/ Now I'm bored and old"

"Drunk as hell, but no throwin' up

Half way home and my pager still blowin' up"

"I'm tired of living all alone
yeah, nobody ever calls me on the phone
But when things start getting bad
I just play my music louder"