Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Nightmare On Elm Street Series
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bradito View Post

I don't think I'm a numbnuts.

A later Nightmare sequel. A scared, confused teen wanders through a walk-in freezer in his dream. Freddy appears and tears a pipe from the wall, aiming it square at the teen's groin as coolant pours forth from the pipe. The teen screams in agony as his crotch freezes. Freddy punches him square in the junk, shattering his stuff. Teen collapses, dead.

Freddy: "How's that feel, numbnuts?"

Slow work day for me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carnotaur3 View Post

Oh please.

It's hard to have a conversation with you because you want to be right, is what I'm saying. "I'm calling you out" "You're obviously wrong!"

Who is stating these things? It wasn't me. Stop starting fights. It doesn't actually matter that we disagree.

I don't want to be right, I am right.  And so are the other people who've repeated what you refuse to hear.  There is no hubris in stating facts.  Scream has multiple levels of meaning.  Any average film buff can tell you that.

Carn, you did exactly what you were accusing us of.  You stated an opinion as if it were a fact, declaring yourself right and everyone else wrong in the process, and we corrected you, that's all.  You can sulk about it or own up to it, or don't.  But you can't twist it around and make us the bad guy here.

AWho is this "us" you are referring to? Let them speak for themselves. The only person here I have a problem with is you. Everyone is positively giving me their thoughts and disagreements. You are the only one who is obsessed with being "right".

[quote name="Ambler" url="/community/t/114428/the-nightmare-on-elm-street-series/420#post_4366529"]
I don't want to be right, I am right.  And so are the other people who've repeated what you refuse to hear.  There is no hubris in stating facts.  Scream has multiple levels of meaning.  Any average film buff can tell you that.

Carn, you did exactly what you were accusing us of.  You stated an opinion as if it were a fact, declaring yourself right and everyone else wrong in the process, and we corrected you, that's all.  You can sulk about it or own up to it, or don't.  But you can't twist it around and make us the bad guy here.  
[/quote]

I stated an opinion because it is an opinion. Sorry you feel "wronged" by it, but you are projecting your own insecurities onto me and I do not appreciate that nor the condescension that's following it. Needless to say, "I don't want to be right, I am right" says all about where your headspace is and why we won't be getting any traction here.
A[quote name="Misfit" url="/community/t/114428/the-nightmare-on-elm-street-series/420#post_4366523"]
A later Nightmare sequel. A scared, confused teen wanders through a walk-in freezer in his dream. Freddy appears and tears a pipe from the wall, aiming it square at the teen's groin as coolant pours forth from the pipe. The teen screams in agony as his crotch freezes. Freddy punches him square in the junk, shattering his stuff. Teen collapses, dead.

Freddy: "How's that feel, numbnuts?"

Slow work day for me.
[/quote]

Better than Freddy's Dead.
ASee Brad, numbnuts was said with love!
A[quote name="Ambler" url="/community/t/114428/the-nightmare-on-elm-street-series/420#post_4366529"]
I don't want to be right, I am right.  
[/quote]

This is Ambler's gift, his curse.
Quote:

Who is this "us" you are referring to? Let them speak for themselves. The only person here I have a problem with is you. Everyone is positively giving me their thoughts and disagreements. You are the only one who is obsessed with being "right".
I stated an opinion because it is an opinion. Sorry you feel "wronged" by it, but you are projecting your own insecurities onto me and I do not appreciate that nor the condescension that's following it. Needless to say, "I don't want to be right, I am right" says all about where your headspace is and why we won't be getting any traction here.

Carn, you're backpeddling.  You got called out, so your goal is to put the spotlight on me, rather than your mistake.  It's transparent and isn't working.

This isn't a personal war.  It's a wake up call.  Embrace the light, and let the healing begin.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bradito View Post

This is Ambler's gift, his curse.

My cross to bear.  It's lonely on the throne.

A[quote name="Ambler" url="/community/t/114428/the-nightmare-on-elm-street-series/420#post_4366566"]
Carn, you're backpeddling.  You got called out, so your goal is to put the spotlight on me, rather than your mistake.  It's transparent and isn't working.  

This isn't a personal war.  It's a wake up call.  Embrace the light, and let the healing begin.  
[/quote]

Guess I'll take a step into the darkness. It's not so stuck up there.
Quote:

It's lot so stuck up there.

Calm down.  Breathe.  Focus, then type.

AOh you're not trying to get at me. Not at all.
ANot with you watching, Bort!

Topps card, thanks to Vern:

https://twitter.com/outlawvern/status/92...8889860096

AVinyl release of all seven Nightmare soundtracks forthcoming:

http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/257311/...yl-boxset/
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatherDude View Post

Vinyl release of all seven Nightmare soundtracks forthcoming:

http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/257311/...yl-boxset/

Too expensive for me, but gorgeous new art.  I'd certainly be interested in individual releases of the first and second scores, but I can't justify a box like this.

A $100 CD box set was released a few years back.  Copies still remain:

https://www.varesesarabande.com/products...cd-box-set

Plus, it includes Freddy vs. Jason.

AIn the interest of keeping the Nightmare talk in one place, I'm going to pick up the discussion about the Mark Patton documentary where we left it off here.

There is a new clip, a new poster, and a new release date (Winter 2018):

[video]https://vimeo.com/239374398[/video]

[IMG ALT=""]http://www.chud.com/community/content/type/61/id/249836/width/500/height/1000[/IMG]
Quote:

Originally Posted by FatherDude View Post

In the interest of keeping the Nightmare talk in one place, I'm going to pick up the discussion about the Mark Patton documentary where we left it off here.

There is a new clip, a new poster, and a new release date (Winter 2018):

More and more, I've been coming to appreciate FREDDY'S REVENGE, and Patton's work in the film, so it's kind of a bummer to get the sense that he was genuinely affected in a negative way by being in that movie.  Hopefully this doc represents a kind of catharsis for him.

In any event, I think it looks pretty compelling.  Great poster, too.

I am really excited about the fact that Robert Englund, Jack Sholder, and especially David Chaskin will be interviewed.  Chaskin doesn't come off well with the one remark we see here, which is disappointing - I know that Patton has always hated him for writing in the subtext, but I don't think Chaskin ever had any ill-intent.  The coincidence of Patton being gay created this inadvertent nightmare scenario for the actor, when I think the writer was just trying to pluck at the insecurity of teenagers.  But between Patton giving a more sophisticated performance than the material deserved, Sholder being utterly naïve, and perhaps certain members of the crew (the set designer?) being cruel, you wind up with this perfect storm and a final result that likely wasn't what anybody intended.

AStill a bad movie though.
ABut an endlessly fascinating one!

I think it's one of the better sequels in the series.  But then again, I like my Freddy scary more than I like him as a comedian.

I think FREDDY'S REVENGE is the only sequel that's faithful to the tone of the original.  The main missed opportunity of the movie is that it doesn't exploit the surrealistic potential that every Nightmare movie has, because its plot has Freddy trying to hijack somebody in the real world.  But I think it's OK if one installment in a long-running series goes off-template.  And it's got some decent dream stuff sprinkled throughout, like the opening nightmare.  There's just a lot less of it than the other movies.  But it's also telling a different kind of story.

The way I've always rationalized the storyline of this movie in the series' broader canon is that Freddy's defeat at the end of the original prevents him from invading the dreams of the kids of Elm Street.  The only place he has any influence now is the Thompson house, and it takes five years for anyone as cheap as Clu Gulager to move in and for Freddy to have anything to work with.  He uses Jesse as a tool to get his name back out, because Freddy's power comes from being spoken of and feared, and his five-year hiatus killed that.  The pool party, for all its goofiness, accomplishes Freddy's mission of being reintroduced to the town and presumably allows him back into the dreams of the remaining Elm Street kids, who wind up at Westin Hills.

AI buy that, FatherDude. Oddly enough, for how disconnected Freddy’s Revenge feels from the rest of the series, it does introduce the possession aspect that later entries utilize.

It’s never depicted the same way, but Freddy is amping up to be reborn through Jacob in Part 5, hitches a ride in his own daughter in Part 6, and actually takes control of Freeburg in FvJ.

Yeah, the Freebird possession in FREDDY VS. JASON definitely seems to be a direct nod to FREDDY'S REVENGE.

FREDDY'S REVENGE is also the installment that names the town Springwood.

AI really really like Elm Street 2. Un-ironically.

And I've always canonized it by just assuming that what happens in 2 is due to there being so much left over evil residue in the house from the events in the first movie..

Damn, it sucks that that documentary isn't out for another year.

I never even heard of this:

http://bloody-disgusting.com/music/34708...e-release/

Quote:

Also released in ’87, Freddy’s Greatest Hits was one of the more unique spinoffs from the film franchise. A nine-track novelty album put out by RIC Records on vinyl LP and cassette, Freddy’s Greatest Hits was from the fictional, one-off band The Elm Street Group, and it included a mix of covers and original songs such as “Do the Freddy.”

The album has become increasingly hard to come by, currently selling for no less than $50 on eBay. But have no fear, because it’s getting an affordable new re-release!

Going up for grabs at noon CST this Wednesday, November 22, Mondo and Strange Disc present Freddy’s Greatest Hits on “Freddy Sweater” striped vinyl. Limited to 400 copies, the re-release will be selling for $25, with orders expected to ship January 2018.

“This record contains nine tracks, a mix of covers (from the likes of Wilson Pickett, The Everly Brothers, Sam the Sham and The Pharaohs) and original songs and instrumentals. The album is everything you expect it to be: screaming ’80s drum machines and distortion filled electric guitars being drowned out by synthesizers. Over the top of these songs is Robert Englund doing the voice (and manic laugh) of Freddy Krueger. The actual music-making was done by the Elm Street Group, who were much respected studio musicians working for RIC records. Featuring artists like Kevin Kelly and Alan Brewer who both contributed to Rick Wakeman’s soundtrack for THE BURNING.”

I can't say I like "Do the Freddy."

AWhat about The Fat Boys song that Freddy raps in? Think it was used at the end of THE DREAM MASTER.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post

I can't say I like "Do the Freddy."

Englund's laughs and bizarre screams (looped over and over) are what make this a special kind of bad.

A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET PART 2: FREDDY'S REVENGE is not only unfairly maligned, but it's actually the best of the sequels, surpassing even fan favorite DREAM WARRIORS.

Best Freddy make-up. Evocative Christopher Young score. Constant interweaving of dream and reality (did Jesse REALLY go to that bar; and if not, how did he end up at the school in the middle if the night?). Fantastic use of "dream logic" (the Everytown USA that suddenly turns into a desert!). And above all else: a wonderful subversive quality (i.e. "the gay stuff") that I think is the primary reason why the film is resisted by sexually insecure Horror Fanboys when it's exactly the sort of ingredient that set the first film in a class above it's Slasher peers -- the so-called "perversions," lies, and hypocrisy that peer our from behind picket fences.

It's a sequel that, failure or no, attempts to do something more than simply remake the original -- and most importantly, it's the last film in which Freddy is scary.

Quote:

Originally Posted by erik myers View Post

A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET PART 2: FREDDY'S REVENGE is not only unfairly maligned, but it's actually the best of the sequels, surpassing even fan favorite DREAM WARRIORS.

Best Freddy make-up. Evocative Christopher Young score. Constant interweaving of dream and reality (did Jesse REALLY go to that bar; and if not, how did he end up at the school in the middle if the night?). Fantastic use of "dream logic" (the Everytown USA that suddenly turns into a desert!). And above all else: a wonderful subversive quality (i.e. "the gay stuff") that I think is the primary reason why the film is resisted by sexually insecure Horror Fanboys when it's exactly the sort of ingredient that set the first film in a class above it's Slasher peers -- the so-called "perversions," lies, and hypocrisy that peer our from behind picket fences.

It's a sequel that, failure or no, attempts to do something more than simply remake the original -- and most importantly, it's the last film in which Freddy is scary.

I agree with all of this (except for it being the best of the sequels, because I love NEW NIGHTMARE).  I do think fan opinion on this one is ever so slowly, ever so slightly coming around on it.

ANEW NIGHTMARE is smart and stylish.

Never as effective as FREDDY’S REVENGE when it’s actually working, though. At least I’m my opinion.

The transformation scene, while being an AMERICAN WEREWOLF facsimile, is effective as hell...especially the confrontation in the mirror.