Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Nightmare On Elm Street Series
As Patrick points out Freddy's introduction in A Nightmare on Elm Street is just bizarre. The first time we see him he lops a finger off for no discernable reason and the second time he essentially slices his pec in half, so weird. And I guess no one knows what the fuck the deal with the guy in the dark suit and glasses was.
"Don't wanna dream no MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORE!"
Wasn't the dude in the dark suit/glasses a cop? Nancy gets grabbed by Rob a second later, then the cops show up and arrest him.

Although 4 & 5 aren't exactly good movies, per se, they're great spectacles. Also get a kick out of how 1 and 3-5 have an ongoing story with recurring characters. I admit to a crush on Lisa Wilcox as Alice back in the day. 4 & 5 introduced the interesting idea (that was subsequently ignored by 6 and FvJ) that the children of the parents that murdered Freddy were all dead, thus ending the curse, and he had to use carriers like Alice/Alice's baby to stick around.

I admit, as well, that the ideas of dream gates and guardians and all that shit intrigued me. Was Freddy just supposed to be a guard dog but was overstepping his bounds by killing? Also, Arquette's Kristen says to Nancy "I'll dream you to a wonderful place" at the end of part 3. Well...where did she go? I understand Heather probably didn't want to come back. I've always imagined that New Nightmare depicted not the "real world" but a little purgatory in the dreaming that Nancy and Freddy had gotten themselves stuck in after the ending of the series.

Too much fanwank?
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bartleby_Scriven
View Post
Too much fanwank?

Yes. You've already thought about it a lot more than the filmmakers did.
I also recall hearing that Peter Jackson worked on a Nightmare on Elm Street Part 6 script (pre-Freddy's Dead) where Krueger had lost his powers and kids were purposefully having nightmares just so they could kick his ass.

An idea that I recall seeing in the beginning of Freddy vs. Jason.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bartleby_Scriven
View Post
Wasn't the dude in the dark suit/glasses a cop? Nancy gets grabbed by Rob a second later, then the cops show up and arrest him.

This is correct.
Quote:

Originally Posted by FilmNerdJamie
View Post
I also recall hearing that Peter Jackson worked on a Nightmare on Elm Street Part 6 script (pre-Freddy's Dead) where Krueger had lost his powers and kids were purposefully having nightmares just so they could kick his ass.

An idea that I recall seeing in the beginning of Freddy vs. Jason.

What? Source.
Not sure about the Peter Jackson script, but an earlier draft of the Freddy's Dead we got had the John Doe character as Jacob, Alice's son from NOES 5. Maybe that's where the "ten years later" concept comes from. Also, Kincaid, Joey and Mohawk chick returned as "dream police" (yeah, like the Cheap Trick song) that were Freddy's anti-thesis. Or something.
I don't find any of the films particularly scary (although I agree that Freddy is at his most menacing in the second film), but the only one that is really FUN to watch is 'Dream Warriors'. Robert Englund really latches onto the humorous aspects of Freddy in this film; he delivers his one-liners with obvious glee. The 'good guys' are a bit more diverse and interesting in this film than in the others, and their deaths are a bit more imaginative. Also, it must be said that the nurse has one of the best chests ever committed to an R-rated film.

And I LOVE the Dokken song.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Judas Booth
View Post
Also, it must be said that the nurse has one of the best chests ever committed to an R-rated film.

What? Source.
Thanks Spike for reviving my interest in this series. I know I have 1,2,3 and NN on disc. I shall have to load them up for a (re)viewing this weekend.
Around Halloween of last year, I did a rewatch of the Nightmare series. I think the thing that most surprised me is that Freddy is not nearly as jokey as people seem to think. To be sure, he gets progressively sillier as the series progresses, culminating in the wretched Freddy's Dead, but he's never the relentlessly punning monster we all have stuck in our heads. I think our perceptions stem from what New Line permitted to happen to the character: the neverending stream of merchandising, the MTV series, etc... essentially, whatever needed to happen to insure the character's marketability across the widest possible spectrum of consumers.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mattioli
View Post
Around Halloween of last year, I did a rewatch of the Nightmare series. I think the thing that most surprised me is that Freddy is not nearly as jokey as people seem to think. To be sure, he gets progressively sillier as the series progresses, culminating in the wretched Freddy's Dead, but he's never the relentlessly punning monster we all have stuck in our heads. I think our perceptions stem from what New Line permitted to happen to the character: the neverending stream of merchandising, the MTV series, etc... essentially, whatever needed to happen to insure the character's marketability across the widest possible spectrum of consumers.

In Dream Warriors, he uses a TV to kill someone and then says "This is your big break in TV! Welcome to Prime Time, bitch!"

I think that sort of thing speaks for itself.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Luca S.
View Post
Jason's in it more than Freddy and Kane Hodder is really, really not essential. That is all.

The troubles with FVJ (and I probably like it more than most here) all lie in execution. The script's general idea is pretty good. It's certainly a Nightmare film moreso than a Friday one -- Freddy's the villain of the movie, the Hypnocil plot thread comes back, etc. -- but it aspires to be a Friday, meaning awful acting. Say what you will about ANOES as a whole, but the series' acting was usually much better than Friday.
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Dark Shape
View Post
The troubles with FVJ (and I probably like it more than most here) all lie in execution. The script's general idea is pretty good. It's certainly a Nightmare film moreso than a Friday one -- Freddy's the villain of the movie, the Hypnocil plot thread comes back, etc. -- but it aspires to be a Friday, meaning awful acting. Say what you will about ANOES as a whole, but the series' acting was usually much better than Friday.

The acting in FVJ is totally on par with a Nightmare film. Even the original NOES has some uneven performances.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquafresh
View Post
The acting in FVJ is totally on par with a Nightmare film. Even the original NOES has some uneven performances.

They were uneven, but nobody was as outright laughable as the entire cast of FVJ.
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Dark Shape
View Post
They were uneven, but nobody was as outright laughable as the entire cast of FVJ.

Have you not seen FREDDY'S REVENGE? I have. Recently. Jesse= laughable. And not just in the "unintentional" homo-erotic way.
Though also in the unintentional homoerotic way.

I still think Freddy vs. Jason is a hell of a lot of fun, and I don't find the performances all that distracting. I will admit that I was surprised when I later watched Undeclared and discovered that Monica Keena is actually sort of talented.
Quote:

Originally Posted by DARKMITE8
View Post
Have you not seen FREDDY'S REVENGE? I have. Recently. Jesse= laughable. And not just in the "unintentional" homo-erotic way.

If you ran away from home and found your coach at a leather club and then he forced you to go back to the gym and run laps after midnight, you'd be pretty pathetic too.

Actually, on that note, can we stop talking about homo-erotic "subtext"? That shit was right out in the open and threatening to punch your mom in the throat.
Anybody remember the TV series, "Freddy's Nightmares"? I remember it not being so bad for being TV and having a $100 budget. Plus Robert Englund played Freddy in the show as well. Altogether, not bad for what it was....
I've heard that the rights are tied up, and that's why Freddy's Nightmares hasn't been released on disc. Shame, I've seen the first few episodes, and it seems like a great show.

Agree on A Nightmare On Elm Street 2: Freddy's Seducing. That's some major OVERTONES there. Still has a really scary and disturbing Freddy right up there with the first. Sholder at least got that right.
Freddy's Nightmare was a decent show. It was probably a little bit of overkill for the character but I was a fan. I'd buy a DVD set if one were released.
It was a decent show. It was on par with Tales From the Dark Side as far as production value goes. Having Robert Englund (whose schedule must have been way the fuck open-thanks typecasting!) definitely raised the show's standards. I also vaguely recall an ongoing story with twins? I'm almost afraid to watch it now but it wasn't bad back in the day. Certainly better than "Friday the 13th: The Series" which had fuck all to do with the movies.
Freddy vs. Jason might have what I think is the worst line in the series (and it's not the whole "freddy died in fire..." spiel). But towards the end when Monica Kenna yells "He's ruined both of our pasts!!"

Who the fuck says that? I know it's such a trivial little thing, but I mean something as simple as "He's ruined both of our lives" just flows so much better. Nitpicking, whatever.

When it comes to the latter day Elm Street flicks, I'd have to say I'd rather watch Freddy's Dead over The Dream Child. Granted, I'd rather watch neither, but whereas Dream Child comes across as just a really bad Freddy flick, there's enough really weird shit in Freddy's Dead to make it interesting. Johnny Depp drug PSA anyone?

True, Freddy goes way overboard into cartoon territory in that movie, but honestly Englund really hamming it up is far more appealing than the lame Freddy in Dream Child where it felt like he just didn't give a shit.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rene (Mr.Eko)
View Post
I've heard that the rights are tied up, and that's why Freddy's Nightmares hasn't been released on disc. Shame, I've seen the first few episodes, and it seems like a great show.

This thread convinced to see if any of the NIGHTMARE films were running on cable. Came up negative on that front but discovered that Freddy's Nightmares now runs on the Chiller Channel. Vaquelly recall liking the show when I was a kid. Gonna record a couple and see if they hold up. Hopefully I'll catch one of the few where Freddy actually had a role beyond just as the "host."
I watched the first episode on Youtube. It was unbearable. I couldn't get through it.
Honestly, all I really remember was a story where some hood holds up a fast food restaurant and says "Give me everything you've got, with everything on it."

For some reason that has always stuck with me.
Quote:

Originally Posted by EnemyoftheStamos
View Post
Freddy vs. Jason might have what I think is the worst line in the series (and it's not the whole "freddy died in fire..." spiel). But towards the end when Monica Kenna yells "He's ruined both of our pasts!!"

Who the fuck says that? I know it's such a trivial little thing, but I mean something as simple as "He's ruined both of our lives" just flows so much better. Nitpicking, whatever.

I don't know that Destiny's Child broad's line about "the cops are saying it's some Columbine thing" was one of the toppers in the shit sandwich of a script. Though that kid on the porch explaining his revenge fantasy to his dead friend for some reason was probably the scene I most remember as making me just want to punch somebody. I'm not necessarily sure it's the performances either. It seems the actors are doing what the script dictates and the director wants, it's just bad choices all around. There is this one particularly awkard piece of dialouge where the best friend (who probably has the best part in the film) explains to Monica Keena about the song and says "Do you know why they sing that? Because that's when he comes for you". It just sounds like a nine-year-old explaining the Freddy lullaby concept to an adult who'd never seen any of the movies. And what's with the generic high school kid names while we're at it? Okay, we've got Lori the big-breasted pouty girlfriend and her boyfriend, Will. Kia the black friend. A nerd named Linderman and could we stick a "Tre" in there somewhere? Awesome! Come to think of it. I really hate this fucking movie.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Supremo
View Post
I still think Freddy vs. Jason is a hell of a lot of fun, and I don't find the performances all that distracting.

Agreed.
I don't understand why FREDDY VS. JASON needs to be held to a higher standard of acting and writing than the rest of the NOES or Friday films. There are bad lines of dialogue and characters in the best of these movies.

I understand not liking the movie though, that's fine.
It's definitely a lot of fun. I don't think it's particularly shitty. Well, it is shitty in a "normal" sense, but it's not a bad Friday or Nightmare movie.
Liked Freddy Vs. Jason quite a bit, particularly Jason's rampage through the cornfield. My problem with it was the weak characterisation of the kids and unnecessary jokiness - though to be fair, when Freddy chops off Kelly Rowlands nose and screams "GOT YOUR NOSE!!!" I must have laughed for about 5 minutes straight.
I might have been born yesterday sir, but I stayed up all night!
Quote:

Originally Posted by Moltisanti
View Post
Honestly, all I really remember was a story where some hood holds up a fast food restaurant and says "Give me everything you've got, with everything on it."

For some reason that has always stuck with me.

Random fact: The fast food clerk in that episode was none other than Hedwig himself, John Cameron Mitchell.

I own this entire show on bootleg DVD because I am a sad, sad man.
Oh yeah, despite my nitpicking, I still enjoy the hell out of Freddy vs. Jason. It's a lot of fun and features probably my favorite "what the fuck?" Jason kill.

It's the one where the douchey redshirt character from the start is sitting on a bench talking to his dad. The dad leaves, I believe, and the kid drifts off into dream world where he is attacked but unharmed by a depowered Freddy. When he wakes up, his dad is sitting next to him, motionless. He nudges his dad whose head then falls off. Cue Jason to kill the kid. This means Jason had bypass sleeping guy, go decapitate his dad, drag the body out to the bench next to the kid, and balance the head on top of the body. Then he played the waiting game...
Quote:

Originally Posted by Supremo
View Post
Random fact: The fast food clerk in that episode was none other than Hedwig himself, John Cameron Mitchell.

I own this entire show on bootleg DVD because I am a sad, sad man.

Well now I want to see it.

I also would like to know when the last time some of you saw New Nightmare was. Because I feel like most of the love it gets HAS to be from it's themes and concepts (which are good) as opposed to their execution (which is shit).