Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Nightmare On Elm Street Series
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick Ripoll
View Post
I also would like to know when the last time some of you saw New Nightmare was. Because I feel like most of the love it gets HAS to be from it's themes and concepts (which are good) as opposed to their execution (which is shit).

I wholeheartedly agree. I find it difficult to make it past the scene where Heather's son climbs on top of the playground rocket thingy.
Just revisited DREAM WARRIORS last night. Lots of fun. Drags a bit between TV death and Kristen rescue, but there's so many cool ideas (Freddy worm, dream powers, doorway theme, etc). I was really kinda sleepy watching it late (getting over a cold too), but after the credits, I decided to watch the trailer on the disc, to see how they marketed this oddball (as I couldn't remember), and it jump-scared the crap out of me and woke me up for sure, even while knowing that something was coming.

And I'll have to agree with Rene... despite the 80s cheese and weird tone of 2, the Freddy/nightmare moments are freaky.
Quote:

View Post
I also would like to know when the last time some of you saw New Nightmare was. Because I feel like most of the love it gets HAS to be from it's themes and concepts (which are good) as opposed to their execution (which is shit).

This is pretty much right.
The film is decidedly flawed, but I prefer it to the other sequals purely on the grounds of ambition.
Quote:

Originally Posted by DARKMITE8
View Post
I decided to watch the trailer on the disc, to see how they marketed this oddball (as I couldn't remember), and it jump-scared the crap out of me and woke me up for sure, even while knowing that something was coming.

Easily my favorite NOES trailer.
I gotta agree with the love for that teaser. It's the creepy off-key toybox version of the Freddy song that does it for me.
The Alien/Aliens comparison is really good, kudos to whomever raised that. I prefer the grungier, kidtouchier Freddy from the original and Part II, but Dream Warriors was probably the most fun, front to back. At least it used to be, I've seen the other 2 in the past 10 years but don't think I've seen no. 3 since college. I must've seen Dream Child (that's 4, right?) and have seen most of New Nightmare (put me in the good idea/lackluster execution camp) but don't think I ever saw Dream Master or Freddy's Dead. That nags at the completist in me a little bit.
Is the latter so bad that I really shouldn't bother?
Ah damn you all, I'll have to rewatch New Nightmare now just to see if it holds up as well as I remember. I remember thinking it fell apart at the end, but the film just seemed born out of Craven's frustration with how his "Baby" had grown up. I will say though that it has the best LOOKING Freddy, if there is such a thing.

You can watch the first episode of Freddy's Nightmares on Youtube (Directed by Tobe Hooper!) and it's actually pretty bad. It's an origin story but it's REALLY overwrought. They've taken the latter, joking Freddy and put him into this serious story and it just doesn't work at all.

EDIT: Even the Freddy's Dead trailer looks really bad. Even the promise of more Yaphet Kotto (For some reason I thought he was killed in Part 4?) isn't enough to convince me to catch that again. As was mentioned earlier, I know I've SEEN part 5 but I can't tell you a thing about it, the same with Part 6. There's just...nothing.
Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianM
View Post
The Alien/Aliens comparison is really good, kudos to whomever raised that. I prefer the grungier, kidtouchier Freddy from the original and Part II, but Dream Warriors was probably the most fun, front to back. At least it used to be, I've seen the other 2 in the past 10 years but don't think I've seen no. 3 since college. I must've seen Dream Child (that's 4, right?) and have seen most of New Nightmare (put me in the good idea/lackluster execution camp) but don't think I ever saw Dream Master or Freddy's Dead. That nags at the completist in me a little bit.
Is the latter so bad that I really shouldn't bother?

#4 is Dream Master, #5 is Dream Child.

One thing that's good about Freddy's Dead is that it's short, so if you're worried about being a completist you might as well see it.

It's a total piece of shit, but it's not a dull piece of shit like Jason Takes Manhattan. It's just really really really lame.

Dream Child is sort of fun and interesting, kinda, just super silly. So I'd reccomend that as well, if you really want to.
Is it just me, or does Ken Sagoes look like a young Yaphet Kotto?

Come to think of it, they should do the New Nightmare thing with other horror properties. You could have Kurt Russell calling on John Carpenter after attending a post-oscar party at which Keith David's head pops off, sprouts crab legs and starts anklebiting Isla Fisher. And John mutes the tv long enough to explain that he made the movie The Thing in order to placate this unpleasant shapeshifting visitor from another world. It's been hiding in the guy who played Nauls all this time, until it saw The Hidden and now it is pissed and wants a sequel. AND THE SEQUEL HAS KURT RUSSELL FIGHTING THE THING! The movie would end when Carpenter loses interest in the script, lights up a fatty and passes out on his couch covered in cheeto dust.

ETA: Thanks Ripoll.
Quote:

View Post
The movie would end when Carpenter loses interest in the script, lights up a fatty and passes out on his couch covered in cheeto dust...

... and decides to just let them remake THE THING instead, for a price.
I like when Wes Craven remade New Nightmare as Scream 3.
No one deserves to be reminded of 'Scream 3' Patrick.
I kinda like Scream 3, because it's got the crazy meta element but it doesn't take it seriously at all.
Quote:

View Post

I watched it a few weeks ago and think the execution is quite good. Sure, you've got Heather Langenkamp sucking it up (though less so than Nightmare 1 and 3), but there's a wonderfully dark atmosphere to it, some great scenes (again, freeway; Freddy killing Julie in front of Dylan), and easily the best musical score in the series.

I definitely agree it's flawed in places, but as a film, I still think it's better than every single Nightmare flick.
Dream Master was a total kick in the balls at the beginning with Krueger being resurrected (via flaming dog urin?!?) and offing the remaining Dream Warriors.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spike Marshall
View Post
(maybe the entire horror community splits into Elm Street people and Friday 13th people).

Interesting that this part of your post wasn't picked up on, Spike. I would wholeheartedly agree. My neighbors were Friday fans, I was an Elm Street guru. As a matter of fact I never saw the original Friday the 13th film until this afternoon. It and Part 2 are on Fear.net OnDemand on the local cable channels.

I recall winning a Dream Child or Freddy's Dead walk-on contest from my local video store. I didn't get the Grand prize of being flown to the set and a walk-on role in the film but I did win VHS copies of all the previous movies and a Tshirt.

I have no idea where those tapes are now which is odd since I was a geek for this series growing up. Oh well, I just bought this ten minutes ago because of this thread and the remake.
Quote:

Originally Posted by TzuDohNihm
View Post
I have no idea where those tapes are now which is odd since I was a geek for this series growing up. Oh well, I just bought this ten minutes ago because of this thread and the remake.

You won't regret it. It's a great set at a great price.
Holy crap that's cheap! I'd be a fool NOT to buy it!
Quote:

View Post
Holy crap that's cheap! I'd be a fool NOT to buy it!

I grabbed 2 quadruple feature sets (8 flicks total, 1 more than the old set) for 9.99 each at Halloween. Isn't as pretty, but less shelf space and no crappy cardboard. I already had the 2-discers for NOES and FVJ though.

http://www.amazon.com/Nightmare-Elm-.../dp/B001DJLD1W
http://www.amazon.com/Nightmare-Elm-.../dp/B001DJLD0S
Hmmm, better and better. I could probably live with myself buying just the first set (although, again, Completist here-I own Godfather III and have never watched it, fergoshsakes).
Quote:

View Post

You. Are. One. Thorough. Motherfucker.

And correct, too.

I wanted to respond to the New Nightmare Love: is it all about the execution? theory with: yeah, it probably is. I've only seen it once, right after it cqame out on video (whenever that was), and actually don't recall the film itself all that clearly. But I applaud the originality of the concept. Originality in scripts always scores points w/ me, more and more so the more crappy remakes we're forever being subjected to. Origonality is something we don't see nearly enough of, particularly in horror. Which has become, I think many agree, one of if not the most formulaic genres in film. Execution wise, it may very well have sucked. But my infatuation w/ the originality of the idea blinded me a little to it. Now I feel compelled to revisit this one as well.
Krueger! Pussy!
Quote:

View Post

I guess my main problem is that people can dismiss Part 2 as crap, despite being so much more interesting thematically, because of it's execution while giving New Nightmare a free pass. I have a lot more respect for a sequel to a hugely popular horror film being a metaphor for repressed homosexuality than I have for Wes Craven to mess around clumsily with metafiction.

And make no mistake, it IS clumsy. Not just as a horror movie, but as a meta movie. Instead of really diving into the idea of a horrible murderer character like Freddy being a big hit with kids, and how declawing him (so to speak) ends up making him more dangerous and subversive is a great idea. But he turns it into this shitty metaphysical "the spirit of evil is loose" mythology. Nothing is really explored because it turns into "I just want my kid back!" It's not a fun movie, it's not a deep movie, it's not a compelling movie, and it's certainly not a scary movie. It's a dull movie that had incredible potential. It's still much better than Dream Child or Freddy's Dead, and I prefer it to Freddy vs. Jason (which fails because it's not a slasher movie, it's a Kaiju), but I think a lot of people are giving it too much credit.

Part 2, on the other hand, is amazingly subversive and interesting thematically. It's a lot more fun, a lot more dark, a lot more weird than New Nightmare. To me, it's no contest.
I have to mention that the original Nightmare had what is still one of my favorite horror movie posters.

The rest (up to part five at least) weren't too shabby either.

I love painted posters, and the first one is great.
Quote:

View Post
Part 2, on the other hand, is amazingly subversive and interesting thematically. It's a lot more fun, a lot more dark, a lot more weird than New Nightmare. To me, it's no contest.

And I think you're doing the same thing Halloween 3 fans do when they claim that's a better movie than Carpenter's Halloween -- you're over-compensating. People unfairly hate Nightmare 2, so you're going to love it more than any rational person does. It's a movie where the gym teacher is spanked to death in the shower. It does this completely seriously, no less. The movie has no sense of humor of its own.

Also, it's deathly dull. The goddamn film doesn't move. The perfect summation of that comes five minutes in. We cut from Freddy slashing at Jesse and the two girls to mom slicing carrots in the kitchen. That bit represents the entire film; every time it threatens to do something interesting, it dies.

I'm being harder on the film than I usually am -- it certainly has good scenes, and Freddy's at his most bad-ass crawling out of Grady's body -- but you can't claim everyone who loves New Nightmare is irrationally ignoring its faults and then do the same thing with Freddy's Revenge.
Quote:

View Post

Apparently it isn't just you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrVenkman
View Post
Even the promise of more Yaphet Kotto (For some reason I thought he was killed in Part 4?) isn't enough to convince me to catch that again.

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Dark Shape
View Post
And I think you're doing the same thing Halloween 3 fans do when they claim that's a better movie than Carpenter's Halloween --

There are people out there who do this?
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Dark Shape
View Post
And I think you're doing the same thing Halloween 3 fans do when they claim that's a better movie than Carpenter's Halloween -- you're over-compensating. People unfairly hate Nightmare 2, so you're going to love it more than any rational person does. It's a movie where the gym teacher is spanked to death in the shower. It does this completely seriously, no less. The movie has no sense of humor of its own.

Also, it's deathly dull. The goddamn film doesn't move. The perfect summation of that comes five minutes in. We cut from Freddy slashing at Jesse and the two girls to mom slicing carrots in the kitchen. That bit represents the entire film; every time it threatens to do something interesting, it dies.

I'm being harder on the film than I usually am -- it certainly has good scenes, and Freddy's at his most bad-ass crawling out of Grady's body -- but you can't claim everyone who loves New Nightmare is irrationally ignoring its faults and then do the same thing with Freddy's Revenge.

Whether or not the humor was intentional, it's very funny.

I never said that it was great, it's still below parts 1, 3, and 4. I just think it's not the piece of shit that everyone thinks it is.

And it's not as dull as New Nightmare.
Quote:

View Post
And it's not as dull as New Nightmare.

New Nightmare isn't remotely dull. I will have the last word here, Ripoll!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Abbott & Prospero
View Post
There are people out there who do this?

Oh yes. A thousand times, yes. Venture on over to ohmb.net and see what you find.
Wasn't there an alternate poster to The Dream Child that had the public in an uproar? I believe it was a fetus instead of the baby cart or something akin to that.
Ignore the title, as I added that (yes, laugh -- I like to make custom DVD covers as a hobby). But here's the image.

Haha, UK and Japanese posters for Dream Child...