Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Nightmare On Elm Street Series

If I were steering the property going forward, I wouldn't concern myself with trying to reboot the character, or with remaking the first movie again.  I'd just pick up the story as if it were a new NIGHTMARE sequel (in a new continuity and with a new actor, of course).  Freddy's a legend, lots of kids have died mysteriously over the years, and a new family moves to Elm Street.  A body count ensues.

Keep it simple in terms of mythology.  Then if that movie is successful, you can play around with weirder ideas in the next movie.

AI know exactly how to remake it/go forward. Ahhhh if only I were in Hollywood and had a shot. I could really give you all something special..
AI'm sure this comparison has been made, but catching up on this thread, seeing Freddy's hat gave me deja vu.

[Image: 6a00d8341c630a53ef013482aef102970c-600wi.jpg]

It's the Frank Miller hat!

I've still only seen the first 2 movies. Might as well do the others in order.

El Rey's doing a "Nightmare on Elm Street Before Christmas" marathon this weekend, FYI.

New Yorkers, Quad Cinema is playing Wes Craven's New Nightmare in 35mm tomorrow night:

https://quadcinema.com/film/wes-cravens-new-nightmare/

If a remake needs to be made, I say give it the Netflix/Hulu/Amazon treatment and make it a series, like Stranger Things. Get some actual talent involved. Really open up the mythos, maybe even expand to include Jason on special occasions. Have Pinhead pop up in a season arc. Cross over with Ash vs Evil Dead. Why not? With a dream world aspect to your show, there's not much you can't do with it.

I'd even be open to letting Jackie Earle Haley come back. There's a lot wrong with that last remake... he wasn't one of them. Though if Englund was in any shape to do it that would be a joy to behold.

You never know.. someone in Hollywood must have at least considered it at some point.
I’d say just pull a Jaws, keep the guy in the background, add some super grisly murders and call it a day.
A My Blu-Ray Movies | er u tang is?
Well, I've been around for a long time and somehow never stumbled into this thread. I have a day off tomorrow, I think I'm going to go back through some of it.

I was a Freddy nut back around the time part 3 came out. Saw all of them in the theater from 4 onward. My poor dad has no stomach for horror, and though I consider Elm St flicks kind of lightweight, the gore shots made him turn grey. As an adult he's confessed that he was trying to be "manly" as an example to his boy .. he wanted to throw up and was holding it back. My dad worked almost all the time before moving out in a divorce. I didn't get to build many memories with him until I grew up. Him taking me to Freddy movies (and wrestling) are among the very few. So, yeah... this series kind of has a lot of sentimental value for me.

Rewatching them now, obviously the original stands above the rest. I personally prefer Dream Warriors over all of them, but hold part 4 as a guilty pleasure, I love the different take with New Nightmare. Never liked 2 that much, but it holds up far better today than 4-6.

Freddy's Dead is bad, no doubt.. but it's the kind of bad that's still fun to watch. There's some merit to the cartoon, Bugs Bunny nature of it. I mean, fuckin' Rosanne and Tom Arnold were in it. And Yaphet Kotto! It also has the added sentimental value of being the movie I took my first date on. Date was awkward as fuck, but we dated anyway. The 3d was balls.

I've always hated 5. I never re-watch it. A few good fx shots, like the motorcycle kill, but definitely my least favorite.

And boy did I ever crush so hard on Lagencamp. I watched that piece of shit Just the 10 of Us show for her (liked the redhead too, who popped up in 4 as the cockroach kill)

Sorry for that stream of consciousness, post glass of wine post. I look forward to going back and seeing some of the discussions I've missed here.
A little more coherent now, and I've scanned a few pages of this thread. Man, the memories!

I actually owned that Freddy music CD. I even recorded the Fat Boys "Ready for Freddy" music video off of MTV back in the day.

I don't remember much of Freddy's Nightmares aside from the two part opener that covered Freddy's origins. I'd love to track those down, at least. I'm sure they're on some torrent site somewhere in potato quality.

Freddy vs Jason was fun enough to catch in the theater after over a decade of anticipation. (I saw Jason Goes to Hell in the theater and went INSANE when Freddy's glove shot up out of the dirt to grab the hockey mask!!!) ... but it felt like such a huge missed opportunity by the time the credits rolled.

Jason's afraid of water now? What the fuck? And that puss-out ending where neither really "wins", and the "normal people" are too involved. As far as I'm concerned, anyone in Freddy vs Jason that wasn't named Freddy or Jason should have been there for the sole purpose of being killed in interesting and unusual ways.
(03-12-2018, 10:01 PM)Anjin Wrote: If a remake needs to be made, I say give it the Netflix/Hulu/Amazon treatment and make it a series, like Stranger Things. Get some actual talent involved. Really open up the mythos, maybe even expand to include Jason on special occasions. Have Pinhead pop up in a season arc. Cross over with Ash vs Evil Dead. Why not? With a dream world aspect to your show, there's not much you can't do with it.

I'd even be open to letting Jackie Earle Haley come back.  There's a lot wrong with that last remake... he wasn't one of them. Though if Englund was in any shape to do it that would be a joy to behold.

You never know.. someone in Hollywood must have at least considered it at some point.

If Chucky and Ash can get tv series, why the hell not Freddy right? Although I am struggling to come up with a way to make Freddy interesting again. Unless they drastically alter something, the concept is kind of stuck in a certain pattern for every movie (discover/tell who Kruger is, find out you can pull things from your dreams, get Freddy into the real world, etc) I would love for Peter Jackson's idea to be made into a series. Freddy is a decrepit joke with teens deliberately going into the dream world to kick his ass. Freddy has to work to be scary again and become a threat. It would be the Rocky Balboa of Elm Street movies.
"You want a vision of the future?Imagine a boot stomping on a human face.....forever."