Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oldboy (2003)
What more can I say about this film that hasn't already been said? Nothing really, besides that I fucking love how it messes with our expectations of an anti-hero trying to figure himself out. His "redemption" ends up being a bad, bad thing, and essentially destroys his life, which is so far outside of traditional movies where a man is attempting to find something out. The idea of ignorance being better than knowing is thrown around a lot, and is certainly pertinent to the big reveal in this movie.

I also really admire the very visceral nature of the film, and how true Min-sik Choi stays to his character. I've seen it four times now, but the "I want to eat something alive" didn't register with me in the full effect until this last viewing a few days past. Maybe I finally understand how you must feel to want to completely destroy something living, to be that misanthropic in general. It just hit me like a cannon ball when I saw it most recently, and is now probably one of my all-time favorite scenes.

Phenomenal, dare I say flawless film. Chan-wook Park's direction is even miles ahead of his other two Vengeance films, and I'd say this is easily the best (and my obvious favorite) of the three.
I've said it several times before but I just love the way the film plays with your concept of what acceptable vengeance is. The shift from Oh Dae-Su's physical and raw nature of vengeance to Lee Woo-Jin's grand and operatic meta-vengeance is still one of my favourite moments in modern film.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tarkovsky
View Post
Maybe I finally understand how you must feel to want to completely destroy something living, to be that misanthropic in general. It just hit me like a cannon ball when I saw it most recently, and is now probably one of my all-time favorite scenes.

The music that swells in as Dae-su loses consciousness from Mido's touch is so gorgeous in that scene.

This one is also my favorite in Park's Vengeance Trilogy. First off, it's such a blatantly cool film on a superficial level. And of course, it certainly had the greatest emotional impact on me. It's certainly not as unapologetically brutal as Mr. Vengeance, nor is it as dense as Lady Vengeance... but it's a good middle between the two and I enjoy watching it the most.

Quote:

The shift from Oh Dae-Su's physical and raw nature of vengeance to Lee Woo-Jin's grand and operatic meta-vengeance is still one of my favourite moments in modern film.

That's what happens when you're exposed to nothing but bad Korean TV for 15 years. Your sense of vengeful retribution never develops past pulling out teeth. Hahaha. Daesu messed with the wrong guy.
This movie doesn't have enough threads, FOR SURE.
I wasn't active on the boards when this movie was getting all the love. I jump at the opportunity! Won't you let me LIVE!?
Just saw this film an hour ago. Loved it.

My favorite scene may just be when No Joo-hwan reveals that Woo-jin's sister was a slut, without realizing that Woo-jin was just a few seats away from him. I thought that was wonderfully played out.
I love Woo-Jin's reaction to that, it's the one time in the film that he acts in a primal rather than 'intellectual' way. It also sets up the weird sort of relationship that the characters have, Oh Dae-Su as the Monster and Lee Woo-jin as his own warped version of a hero complete with own chivalrous code.
Quote:

Originally Posted by mcnooj82
View Post
I wasn't active on the boards when this movie was getting all the love. I jump at the opportunity! Won't you let me LIVE!?

Same here. I was active on IMDB back when everyone was either loving or hating on it. Some of the arguments leveled against it were monumentally stupid, but it was worth suffering them for the great discussions I had with people over it.

I could talk about this movie for hours.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spike Marshall
View Post
I love Woo-Jin's reaction to that, it's the one time in the film that he acts in a primal rather than 'intellectual' way. It also sets up the weird sort of relationship that the characters have, Oh Dae-Su as the Monster and Lee Woo-jin as his own warped version of a hero complete with own chivalrous code.

That's one of the great things about the character of Lee Woo-Jin, I think his revenge on Oh Dae-Su was like a manifestation of his guilt over being in love with his sister.
This has been playing on IFC or Sundance Channel, I cannot remember which. I recorded it and will be watching it either Saturday or Sunday for the first time. I am looking forward to this.
Sorry to bring back an old thread, but this movie is one of the most jarring, disturbing, provocative and intense things I've ever seen. I loved it. Oldboy doesn't let go of the mind very easily, does it?
Quote:

Originally Posted by yt
View Post
Sorry to bring back an old thread, but this movie is one of the most jarring, disturbing, provocative and intense things I've ever seen. I loved it. Oldboy doesn't let go of the mind very easily, does it?

I've had probably 5 friends watch this movie, and it gets brought up constantly in conversation with them. Even if you try to set expectations accordingly, I think it's just too much to really be prepared for ahead of time.

I love Choi Min-Sik's hair in this film. It just drips with crazy. The little details, ya know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agracru View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnooj82 View Post
Same here. I was active on IMDB back when everyone was either loving or hating on it. Some of the arguments leveled against it were monumentally stupid, but it was worth suffering them for the great discussions I had with people over it.

I could talk about this movie for hours.

We could've reconnected right back here!!!

OH CRUEL FATE.

But it's fate that brought us back together! And, ostensibly, Brave and Pixar!

Stories... uniting the clans!

I hate to intrude on mcnooj and agracru's love-in, but I have to bring up something about Oldboy that's bothered me for a long time. Now don't get me wrong, I love the movie, it was my gateway drug into Korean cinema. My problem is with the DVD subtitles. I saw it twice in theaters back during its original U.S. run in '05, and when I got the Tartan DVD I noticed at least two instances where the DVD subtitles differed from what I remembered of the theatrical subtitles, in both cases being markedly inferior.

First, when Mi-do takes Dae-su back to her apartment and he tries to rape her, afterwards she says she may be ready some day, and she'll sing a song to let him know, even if she fights back. The theatrical subtitles have her say, "Just sock it to me," which is a hilarious way to describe it, and she even accompanies the line with a punching gesture. On the DVD, however, she says "Just give it to me" or "Just do it" or something weak and non-hilarious like that.

To be fair, while obviously an inferior line, it can probably just be chalked up to a legitimate translation choice. In the other instance, however, the lines are so different that in one case or the other the translator must've just been making stuff up. When Dae-su returns to Mi-do's apartment to find Park and his goons with Mi-do tied up, as they're leaving Dae-su shouts, "I'll cut off your hand if you touched her breast!" In the theater Park responds with (something like) "Then what are you going to do to my tongue?", both a great comeback and brilliantly foreshadowing the movie's climax; on the DVD Park just says something like "Let's go" to his goons.

Has anybody else noticed this? I am just crazy? I mean, I know there are cases of subtitles differing between the theatrical translation and the DVD translation (Let the Right One In), but has anybody noticed it in this case or heard of a DVD version with the theatrical translation? As much as I love the movie, knowing how inferior the DVD translation is to what I remember from the theater always diminishes my enjoyment a little.

I'm not at all ashamed to admit that I own nearly every single edition of Oldboy out there-- notably the first 2 Disc Special Edition released in Korea and the Ultimate Edition-- and yes, I've also noticed discrepancies between the subtitles on the Korean releases and the American releases. That's just what happens. I got the Shaolin Soccer Ultimate Edition and found the subtitles vastly improved from the version I previously purchased. Then again, sometimes you get movies like Where's Mama's Boy? where everything is fucking incomprehensible no matter what (though I think I would hate that movie more than I already do if I could totally understand what the fuck is going on in its wacky, deranged plot).

Back to Oldboy! I remember writing a paper in college for a class I took on tragedy where I argued the case for both Oldboy and Sympathy For Mr. Vengeance as being legit modern-day tragedies that fit closely with the mores and traditions laid out by Greek theater and Shakespeare. I wish I had a copy of that sucker still, because it was pretty great, but I remember talking at length about the appearances of ghosts in both Park's films and, say, Hamlet, and how the introduction of specters into the story affected the direction of narrative in each.

Ah, but do you own the PURPLE GIFT BOX SET from Korea that has 4 or 5 discs?  Oh yes... I have that in ADDITION to the first 2 disc release and the Tartan Ultimate Edition tin.

Ugh... all that money.

Discrepancies for subtitles in Korean movies don't bug me too much since I really just use them as supplemental information to the Korean I can understand.  Mwahahaha.  But as time goes on, I have to rely on those subtitles more since my Korean isn't really improving.  OH NO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnooj82 View Post

Ah, but do you own the PURPLE GIFT BOX SET from Korea that has 4 or 5 discs?  Oh yes... I have that in ADDITION to the first 2 disc release and the Tartan Ultimate Edition tin.

Ugh... all that money.

Discrepancies for subtitles in Korean movies don't bug me too much since I really just use them as supplemental information to the Korean I can understand.  Mwahahaha.  But as time goes on, I have to rely on those subtitles more since my Korean isn't really improving.  OH NO.

Damn you, mcnooj, using your ancient, mystical powers to overcome bad subtitling. How do you do it? You're so inscrutable . . . [/alterity]

For those of you out there with familiarity with the different versions available, could ya help a round-eyed barbarian out and recommend one with a decent translation? Preferably one with subtitles like what I described above? I've longed to relive my first Oldboy experiences in their true, unadulterated form for many years now. Just sock it to me!

I assume the original 2 disc Korean release had the subtitles you're talking about.  I recall the 'sock it to me' line being there.  I'd have to check though...

Cool, I'll be on the lookout for that one then. Please accept this rep as a humble token of my appreciation.

I'm assuming you have a region free DVD player?

I can't help you with any blu-ray releases of the film though.  It's just not a scene I've paid much attention to.  It's a young man's game now!

Actually, Nooj, I do have the Korean Ultimate edition that came in the purple box! I do indeed! That was the one I was referencing in my post, albeit vaguely. I actually sold the Tartan ultimate tin while doing a purge of my DVD shelves, though. So, I guess I lied when I said that I own all editions of the film. At one point I did though! Really!

Re: "Sock it to me". Yep, I'm 95% sure that's in the original Korean 2DSE DVD release. I can check later tonight.

I know next to no Korean. But I know what you mean about subtitles being supplementary. I can understand enough Italian that I don't always need to reference subtitles to get the gist of what's going on from scene to scene (it helps when it's a film I've seen 1,000 times already). Hell, there's a Lost episode where there's a Jack flashback (Jackback!) in which he treats an older Italian man who is given no subtitles, and I impressed my wife (girlfriend at the time) by translating roughly what he was saying line for line. But I need to get back to Rosetta Stone to keep improving.

Probably my favorite foreign film ever, came in knowing very little about it and left blown away by it all. One of those movies you have to really see to understand the emotions you feel after watching it. A brilliant performance by the main actor, you can't take your eyes off him throughout the entire flick.