Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Boxing Thread
Good thing I decided not to purchase Pac-Hatton. Read play-by-play at ESPN, unbelievable. I was really rooting for Hatton.
The Sportscenter anchors were just acting like Hatton died or something. Must have been a brutal knockout.
I was genuinely concerned when Hatton hit the mat. This was an execution.
Wow he was absolutely destroyed in both rounds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75737CrnlGs
Holy shit did Hatton get his clock cleaned, disassembled and thrown away. So will Mayweather find a way to duck Pacquiao next? Cause I think he wants nothing to do with him.
I am anxious to see how Mayweather does against Marquez. If he comes back in full form I would have my money on Mayweather against Pacquiao. Alot of people don't like Mayweather but I have never bet against him and he hasn't done me wrong yet.
I did pay for the fight but my share was only $10 which was kind of worth it to see the utter dismantling of Hatton. I figured he'd lose but I never thought it would be such a drubbing. I don't know where Hatton goes from here. He just can't hang with the big dogs.

Assuming Mayweather gets past Marquez, I don't see why he would duck Pacquiao. It's the fight everyone wants and there's just too much money to be made.
The Pac-man is a monster!! Best and most exciting boxer on Earth. The MAyweater v. MArquez fight should be a good one with the winner facing off against PAc-man. A Mayweather/PAcquioa fight would be one of the biggest fights of last the 25 years as oppossed to the a 3rd MArquez PAcquia fight. But PAc.-man can't wait till then to fight, he'll need a tune-up fight before then.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Moltisanti
View Post
Assuming Mayweather gets past Marquez, I don't see why he would duck Pacquiao. It's the fight everyone wants and there's just too much money to be made.

Not to mention Mayweather is known to cocky and in love with his own hype. I also hope to see that fight go down.
The Mayweather/Marquez bout, that was postponed this past July, is finally here,
this Sat. Night in Vegas.
I'm hoping it'll be a good fight. However, with Mayweather being such a skilled fighter, so fast, so quick, his fights usually end up being a bit boring cause the guy never really gets hit.

That being said, I hope Marquez gives him a beating, afterall he gave a hell of fight to Manny Paquioa. Probably not gonna happen since MArquez is moving up in weight. Still Mayweather hasn't fought in well over over a year so he could be rusty.
Can easily see Marquez winning, but I'm rooting for Mayweather because I don't wanna see anything get in the way of Mayweather/Paquioa becoming a reality.

Anybody hear Bob Arum go off on the UFC? Very funny. Here's a piece on it:

http://www.cbssports.com/columns/story/12206453

Quote:

"For me, I look at the UFC audience and the boxing audience as being two different audiences entirely," Arum told AOL Fanhouse. "Our audience in boxing is ethnic. Hispanic, Filipino, Puerto Rican, Mexican and the hardcore boxing fan who can't watch ... like me ... can't watch UFC. UFC are (sic) a bunch of skinhead white guys watching people in the ring who also look like skinhead white guys."

and

Quote:

"For me, and people like me, [MMA] is not something they ever care to see," Arum explained. "They've watched it. It's horrible. Guys rolling around like homosexuals on the ground. It is not a sport that shows great, great talent."

I can't wait to hear Joe Rogen and Dana White's bleep riddled response!
"Bring that smack to the Octagon, Arum!"
I guess I can see why Arum and Jim Lamply go off on MMA and UFC. They clearly see it as a threat to their dwindling boxing audience which MMA and UFC sometimes overshadow. I'm not a fan of UFC or MMA per say, but to call it a skinhead riddled audience, who look like homosexuals is downright irresponsible.

Though my interest in boxing has diminished exponentially over the past several years, I still get excited over a fight like this Saturdays.

Oh, and Molt, I agree with you that Marquez could win. He did give Paquioa quite a smack down.
Lampley gets interviewed on a radio show out here a lot, usually before any big HBO/PPV fight, and the hosts have tried to ask him about MMA and he just refuses to talk about it. Always amusing.

There's room for both sports. When the personalities are there you can't beat a good boxing match. The sport really needs Mayweather/Paquioa to happen because that would capture everyone's attention.
So as I expected, since this was a Mayweather fight afterall, last nights Mayweather v. Marquez fight was pretty forgetful. MAyweather totally dominated the fight, Marquez was totally over matched; Mayweather looked like he was 10 pounds heavier and was never in any sort of danger.

The more interesting part of the evening was the post fight interviews. Max Kellerman, who I certainly hope has permanently replaced Larry Merchant, was interviewing Mayweather and asked about fighting Shane Mosely and they had to be seperated, Trash talking ensued, Kellerman was trying to restore order, it was pretty good.
I think Mayweather is ducking Mosely cause he knows Mosely will give him a tough fight and may even beat him. Mosely feels like he should be given the chance to fight him and is rightfully upset.
Klitschko's keep rolling, is there anyone in the heavyweight to challenge them?
Mosley has no chance against Mayweather.

People criticise Mayweather, but the guy is pretty much a genius. His problem is that there is no-one truly in his weight class who can challenge him, so he hasn't had the wars that most fighters are remembered for.
Quote:

Originally Posted by jl1718
View Post
Klitschko's keep rolling, is there anyone in the heavyweight to challenge them?

Just each other, and we all know that fight will never happen.
I don't even know if I'd be all that hyped to see them fight each other. They are both excellent fighters, but both lack any real chutzpah.

I guess now they both flip a coin to see who gets to snag the WBA title from that slow Russian freak who barely beat old man Holyfield, and who by most accounts didn't really beat old man Holyfield.
David Haye has a shot at beating Valuev, and he's got a bit of charisma, but I don't fancy his chances against the Klitschko's, as are far above him technically. My god the heavyweight division is dire at the moment though.
In my opinion, boxing in general is in dire straits. The best it has to offer is retreading stars from the 90's, early 00's.

Mayweather, Mosley, Hopkins, etc.

The only fighter now worth watching, in my humble opinion, is Pacquaio. But he lacks charisma which is what this sport needs right now. It is no wonder MMA has taken over as the fighting sport to watch.
I didn't order it, but the Mayweather/Marquez fight did huge PPV numbers. When they get Mayweather/Pacquaio in the ring it'll be even bigger. The demand is there if you can get the right fight together.

But the sport overall is in desperate need of a polarizing Tysonesque figure for the nation to evenly split on whether to love or hate.
I agree that Boxing is not and can not be considered a "major sport". Unless you're a die-hard, super-fan of Boxing the only time people will come out to see or watch is for a hyped MAyweather/MArquez type fight. Those fights only occur a 2-3 times a year at most.
If you listen to Jim Lamley talk about boxing you'd think it was on par with the NFL, I don't know what he's been smoking lately.
Boxing's problem isn't lack of talent. The lower weight classes are bristling with talent (Mayweather, Pacquiao, Marquez, Diaz, Mosley). Don't give me that "boxing needs great heavyweights" nonsense either. Back in the early 80's it was the "little" guys like Sugar Ray, Hagler, Hearns and Duran that ushered in a golden age while Holmes was overwhelming inferior competition in the heavyweight division much like the Klitschko brother's of today.

The problem isn't the sport, its the business model. Boxing is phasing itself out of the public consciousness. Back in the day guys like Sugar Ray Leonard fought on network television where casual fans could check him out and become more than casual fans. Now you have to shell out 50 bucks (something casual fans aren't doing) for every fight that matters. On top of that, sometimes those fights aren't very good which makes people bitter and loathe the sport rather than just indifferent to a bad fight in the way that they become indifferent to a bad Superbowl. Think about it... only FANS are buying fights and only FANS are getting burned. Sounds like an ass-backward way of increasing a fan base. Where are they trying to change this? That bullshit soap opera nonsense The Contender? That's not letting the sport win people over, that's a gimmick plain and simple.

Pay Per View and underexposure is hurting the sport. If I didn't get free PPV in the early 90's as a young fellow I would have never become the boxing fan that I am today. Its a shame because its a really outstanding sport.

One last comment on Mosley Vs. Mayweather... this reminds me of when a seemingly unstoppable Roy Jones was ducking Tarver for about a decade and no one thought anything of it and I was thinking "Well, he's gotta be ducking him for a reason." This is how I feel about the seemingly unstoppable Mayweather right now. I think he knows better than any of us that it's a way harder paycheck to earn than most think.

Furthermore, it would do his bank account a favor if he stayed an unstoppable trash talking promotion machine for a little longer. Once that sheen comes off it changes the game and the economic landscape of a fighter that delivers consistently underwhelming fights. Right now, half the people are buying his fights because they don't wanna miss the day he gets put on his ass. That's just dollars and cents there.
Everybody ready for Pacman vs. Mayweather? I usually do not buy the PPV"s, if this happens I may have to.

BTW, Cotto vs Pacquiao will be replayed on HBO on the 21st. Pacquiao looks like he took some big shots last night. Wonder how Cotto looks.
Worse.
Cotto landed some good shots, but Pacquiao didn't seem to notice.

I think Dan Wetzel of Yahoo Sports put it best.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Wetzel

Post-fight, Cotto was sent to a local trauma unit. Pacquiao performed an eight-song set with his band at an outdoor concert at Mandalay Bay.

Yeah, he was probably sent to the trauma unit because his corner is terrible. They weren't icing him, they weren't tending to his cuts properly. I will never understand why boxers think they can just put their friends and relatives in their corners and it won't matter.

Manny didn't even have a good fight. He was lazy and sloppy in there a lot of the time. It just makes the win that much more impressive.

I don't think Mayweather is taking this fight any time soon. It's going to be spun as a money issue but in the end, he doesn't like a fight, he likes a mutual agreement to make a lot of money (see: De La Hoya Vs Mayweather). He'll say he doesn't need it, he'll claim he dominated Marquez and that's the same as beating Manny... the guy is a business man, not a warrior. And he wonders why with all that skill people still don't like him. It's a shame but whatever, he'll be able to speak clearly when he's 50 so at least he'll have that.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Timothy Q
View Post
Yeah, he was probably sent to the trauma unit because his corner is terrible. They weren't icing him, they weren't tending to his cuts properly. I will never understand why boxers think they can just put their friends and relatives in their corners and it won't matter.

Manny didn't even have a good fight. He was lazy and sloppy in there a lot of the time. It just makes the win that much more impressive.

I don't think Mayweather is taking this fight any time soon. It's going to be spun as a money issue but in the end, he doesn't like a fight, he likes a mutual agreement to make a lot of money (see: De La Hoya Vs Mayweather). He'll say he doesn't need it, he'll claim he dominated Marquez and that's the same as beating Manny... the guy is a business man, not a warrior. And he wonders why with all that skill people still don't like him. It's a shame but whatever, he'll be able to speak clearly when he's 50 so at least he'll have that.

I had to work last night and missed the fight, I'll just catch the replay next week on HBO. Totally agree with about fighters with corner issues. Loyalty should only go so far, get a legit cutman who knows what the hell they're doing. If you can't, then you deserve to have your face swell up like a balloon.

I honestly thought Cotto could take this fight. A little surprised that Pac-Man was so dominant. I thought the same thing about his fight with DelaHoya; I going to start picking against him.

A Pacquiou Vs. Mayweather fight could be one of the biggest fights to come along in a LONG time. I agree that its going to take a massive consesions on both sides to get this fight done; and with boxing being what it is-a business- I doubt it'll happen. MAyweather certainly ducks opponents, he won't fight Shane Mosley and he probably won't fight Pacquio. But if he did, I would favor both those guys over Floyd because he's never faced true fighters like Manny and Shane.
Yeah, in such evenly matched fights you gotta give the advantage to the guys that have tested chins rather than a guy that's never been hit by anyone too great. Floyd's chin is the unknown... either one of them can catch him and I think he sorta knows it.

It's reminiscent of Roy Jones ducking Tarver and a Hopkins (rematch) for years... they were the only fights that would have been tough for him and he knew it.
Hopefully Floyd needs the money as bad as everyone say he does. Roach said last night that Floyd's 65-35 usual cut isn't gonna work this time. I agree we will not see this fight unless Floyd is broke. With that said, there is enormous public pressure for him to work a deal and make this match happen.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Timothy Q
View Post

Arturo Gatti (40-9, 31 KOs), Sharmba Mitchell (57-6, 30), Zab Judah (38-6, 26), Carlos Baldomir (44-12, 13), Oscar De La Hoya (39-6, 30), Ricky Hatton (45-2, 32), and Juan Manuel Marquez (50-5, 37), all since '05, and Corrales, Castillo, Chavez, and Manfredy among others would disagree with you.

People think Mayweather is a punk because he hasn't fought Mosley or Pacman but the reality is that every fighter wants a piece of Floyd because he can give them the biggest payday of their careers. You can't fight everyone and you can't fight everyday. Floyd has taken apart elite fighters, guys with power and guys with elite hand speed. There's no reason to believe he's afraid of either Pacquiao or Mosley. If the price is right he'll step into the ring with either one, but he won't fight them just because WE want to see him fight them. He's earned that. If you don't like him because of that, hey, that's your choice, but you can't discount what he's done in his career.
EDIT: sorry, it posted twice for some reason... just read below.
Quote:

Originally Posted by dajuice7
View Post
Arturo Gatti (40-9, 31 KOs), Sharmba Mitchell (57-6, 30), Zab Judah (38-6, 26), Carlos Baldomir (44-12, 13), Oscar De La Hoya (39-6, 30), Ricky Hatton (45-2, 32), and Juan Manuel Marquez (50-5, 37), all since '05, and Corrales, Castillo, Chavez, and Manfredy among others would disagree with you.

Big names don't mean big challenges. Nearly every one of those names had a major handicap going into those matches. That list proves the point that Mayweather takes safe fights... especially once he was on top and had control over whom he fought.

Gatti - Much smaller and slower... Lightweight power. Never had a chance. (Still an all time favorite of mine.)

Mitchell - 35 years old... naturally smaller, no power

Judah - Not the heaviest hands but at the time the fight seemed like a real challenge. I'll give you this one.

Baldamir - Really? A slow pile that never had a chance (ask Vegas) with NO defense. Did anyone think Floyd was in trouble going into this one? A joke really.

De La Hoya - 35 years old... past his prime but still a challenge but Floyd didn't look too brave in there. If there was ever a fight that proved he didn't want to actually engage in a real fight...

Hatton - a naturally smaller punch sponge that was never going to have a chance in there. Again, ask Vegas if anyone thought he had did. That said, he was probably Floyd's biggest challenge (for a few rounds) in years.

Marquez - Way way way smaller 36 year old... I believe going into this one I told my friend "I really want to make this interesting to watch but I can't imagine a situation where Marquez wins a round that Floyd doesn't take off." Also, lets not forget he came in bigger on that fight than the contract weight demanded... he didn't even step up to the challenge of coming in closer to Marquez's size! WTF!?

Corrales, Castillo, and Manfredy I will give you but those were all fights at a time where he had to take them. He had no leverage.

The one thing that becomes glaring in that list is that most of his challengers were slow, smaller or 35+. Not slower ... everyone is slower than Floyd but actually considered slow. He never took on anyone that was even remotely near the full package. They usually had two of the above qualities, especially once he got leverage. The one guy that has been out there from the beginning waiting (Mosely) Floyd has ducked for YEARS. Floyd retired when Mosely was the only guy left to fight... it's clear he doesn't want anything to do with this fight until Shane is 40 and slowing down.

Again... he'll be able to speak clearly when he's 50 so I understand why. His approach just isn't something I like in a boxer. Its a shame because I think we're missing out as fans. He's the most talented boxer out there, I just wish he'd show it more. NOT knocking out Marquez in that fight is damning evidence the guy just doesn't want to mix it up if he doesn't have to.