Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gash Wednesday, The Blog of Andrea Rothe
That's a great piece of writing 88, the rhythm and the pace and the imagery is quite brilliantly evocative. It's actually sort of thrilling to read because the prose is so good and I kept wondering if you were going to drop the ball somewhere and write something ordinary, but the whole thing is very, very good.

I don't really want to pick one part out that I liked more than the rest but where you talk about the smells of your dad and the other things in the air really nailed me. Our sense of smell makes powerful memories and reading about yours brought back a bunch of my own.
Well now you eat like a fucking asshole.
http://chud.com/articles/blogs/2341/...d-a-Baker.html

Newest. Thanks for reading, guys.

Enjoy.
You do unfortunately bump into situations where The person you thought you were or the person you maybe daydreamed you would be under difficult circumstance doesn't show up, when called upon and in his/her place pops up a defense mechanism.

I think it's a human reaction captured perfectly in "The Mist" when The lady who has her two kids at home asks for someone to help her get back home and no-one will. And no-one can even look her in the eye after that. I think almost everyone can relate to that moment when you know you should have done something but a tiny cowardly voice inside your head told you not to and it tied your stomach in knots.

I guess they key is to remember how horrible it felt to not act, and use that as a motivation to chose a different path the next time. But I don't think you should beat yourself up over it either It's pretty hard not to chose distance over pain.
It might have sounded like I was beating myself up for it. I do, obviously, feel really bad. This situation on both accounts is one of my "failures" in life. Yet life is gracious and merciful sometimes and lets us redeem ourselves and learn if we're willing to, which is the fantastic part.

Sometimes the way I write makes my life situations feel very doomsday, but I really enjoy the fact that emotions are more tactile than they are conducive to words. If I can remind someone what something feels like, then I've connected with my reader. Sometimes the doom and gloom and dread and regret can really feel that bad or that black or that far reaching. It's those tough emotions out of some tough life situations that are the most difficult to communicate about and I love the challenge. All in all, life isn't really that bad, and I don't beat myself up for it. Regret is an emotion that motivates us to change, and I love that.
I hate the word "decadence" too, especially when it's used in marketing to women.

I fucking love this line: ... when I first realized that life had to be ridden more like a cowboy than a show horse jumper.

I hope you post a little update for this one in future. Great, compelling job again. Inspiring too, there's someone I need to visit.
I just talked to her. It had been almost six years, and it was like we had just spoken last week. Got my chance to apologize. Was so good. I wondered if I had blown her out of proportion, but she really is that awesome. Good stuff.
The newest. A little change of pace. Thanks to those of you who follow my blog. You're great!

Enjoy: http://chud.com/articles/blogs/2366/...yin039-It.html
Great as usual. You know, for a woman.
Glad to hear the phone call went well.
Great stuff. Still laughing at this line: "And yet we're in pussy diapers. Hmm."

Curious, do you consider yourself a feminist?
I don't enjoy girly women either, and any girl who counts shopping as a passion instantly loses about 80% of whatever attractiveness she started with. It's one of the things I love most about my girlfriend in fact, that she's definitely womanly in all the best of ways but without buying into that whole bunch of societal gender expectations. That and the fact she lets me wear her pantyhose.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 88 Inches
View Post
I just talked to her. It had been almost six years, and it was like we had just spoken last week. Got my chance to apologize. Was so good. I wondered if I had blown her out of proportion, but she really is that awesome. Good stuff.

That's really brilliant. It's one thing to know the path, but quite another thing to walk it.
http://chud.com/articles/blogs/2392/...ot-happen.html

It's back!
HBarr,

Yes and no. There are so many types of feminists, and that's what makes it hard to define. I love men. They have been my closest friends.

As for women, I think women can do anything they want to do and they shouldn't limit themselves or let others put limits on them. And I also believe that it's okay to show off our bodies if we want to. I knew a couple of feminists in college that seriously disagreed with me doing nude photography of myself because it didn't service the greater good of feminism. I'm not that strict!
That's a pretty rockin' blog Ms. B.

I wouldn't be so presumptuous as to pretend I know those exact feelings, but as I stare down graduation... I'm feeling hints. All those things that I knew I'd get done on the side in college, and so few accomplished. I'm happy with the things I've done, but all the movies I thought I'd have watched, all the directors I thought I'd know backwards and forwards, all the little projects I'd thought I'd have done on weekends and such...

From where I'm standing it feels like a very big part of becoming an adult to accept that anything that isn't directly in focus is going to get swept by, and that there is no time when it's okay to be lazy. I'm still working on that.
I think it's ok to reign your goals in a bit, as the realities of the world show their ugly heads, just so long as you never just settle for what you got. Should always push yourself towards the horizon, otherwise you just sit around feeling bitter about the people who did keep progressing. Don't know why I'm telling you this, I should be telling myself.
I think with a lot of that stuff as you get older what happens is you find out just how bad you really want it, and you also learn that you have to stack priorities in order. If you want to save for the deposit on a house maybe you have to work so many hours that you don't have the time to train for a marathon or take classes in languages.

If you really wanted to learn French, for example, and assuming your career is somewhat transplantable, you could probably go live in the French part of Canada for a year. Or France. But that means sacrificing other things. You have to go way outside your comfort zone to do that. And then you realise that learning French is maybe more of a nice idea than a real passion that drives you. Maybe you start doing distance running and realise that the idea is nicer than the sweat and blood it takes to get there because while your romantic side would love to have completed the iconic race your heart really isn't in it that much. Or maybe it's just the wrong time for that stuff. Maybe when you're 48 you'll find it in you to hit the road and love the running enough to get that job done. It happens.

So by realising these things you find out what really matters to you deep down beneath the ideal version of you that you thought you wanted to project to the world. What is it that you care about the most, that you'll sacrifice the most to get? That's what reveals itself when you hold yourself up to the light of your own mortality.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bucho
View Post
What is it that you care about the most, that you'll sacrifice the most to get? That's what reveals itself when you hold yourself up to the light of your own mortality.

I've thought about this all last night and into today! That is an incredible truth. Glad you brought it up.
Quote:

View Post
I've thought about this all last night and into today! That is an incredible truth. Glad you brought it up.

That's really cool then 88, your writings have provoked my creaky brainbox into life a few times too.

And I hope it was clear enough that I wasn't saying I think it needs to be just a single priority/passion that drives someone's life. If the thing you want most is a house, for example, I'm not saying that sacrificing everything else to get that asap is healthy, it just means that by asking yourself that aforementioned question you find out the order of your real priorities. The ones that matter in your soul rather than the ones you might have come up with when you compare yourself to others. You know, all that being true to yourself malarky.

You need variety to stay sane after all, and to be the spice of life, and if your main goal means long work hours then your second and third goals, whether that's learning Espanyol or ukelele or alligator wrestling skills, should actually help with your first goal by recharging your soul's batteries. I think that's true even if you can only give those other passions a limited amount of time in comparison to your most important desire.

But hopefully all that went without saying anyway.
http://chud.com/articles/blogs/2402/...Love-Note.html

Newest. Thanks for reading, those that do!
Quote:

View Post
http://chud.com/articles/blogs/2402/...Love-Note.html

Newest. Thanks for reading, those that do!

Do kids still do this I wonder, or do they just txt each other? How do you take a txt back?
Quote:

Originally Posted by horrid
View Post
Do kids still do this I wonder, or do they just txt each other? How do you take a txt back?

My daughter is already receiving texts from her friends, but since she doesn't have a phone they just send them to me. BUT - that said, she's so bashful I would think the first time she decided to write a love note she'd use paper. And coincidentally, she has her own teency set of Hello Kitty stationery, should such a need arise.

And that was a sweet blog.
Quote:

Originally Posted by JGButler
View Post
And that was a sweet blog.

At first I thought it was sweet, then I realized there's probably lonely guy out there with little nub hands pining away for Andrea, wishing she'd let him hang onto that note, wondering if a new note will ever come, wallowing in the irony that his little fingerless mitts couldn't reciprocate now, even if it did. OK, yeah it's still a little sweet.
Andrea, your blogs are so goddamn good. I know I'm not adding anything to the discussion, but it had to be said.
She's a dummy in real life, which is weird.
Maybe she's some kind of idiot savant.
No, I'm just an idiot!

And I'm thrilled that there are people out there that read and enjoy them.
Notes are so much easier to write for modern kids. "You're my Edward," says all that a girl ever needs to say and fits just fine on a 2 by 1 inch piece of Hello Kitty paper.

Fine bit of writing as always Andrea, but there was one bit I didn't get. You saved gum wrappers? Did they have hearts on them or fortune cookie-like love epiphets or something? Why gum wrappers? (And don't say you saved the wrappers because you're an idiot. Somehow I just don't believe you or your pal The Nunz on that issue.)
The newest. Enjoy!

http://chud.com/articles/blogs/2411/...agination.html
35 entries later and your prose just grows more and more powerful.

I'm impressed with your ability to create self-affirmation by finding and exploring the childhood seeds of your nowaday passions. It's pretty awesome.
http://chud.com/articles/blogs/2425/...bile-Life.html

The newest. Enjoy!
36 entries later and YOU SOLD OUT!

I kid, and wish I had a cool phone dealy. My Razr is a jerkass.
http://chud.com/articles/blogs/2431/...-Marathon.html

Here we go again! Enjoy, folks.
Shin splints are the worst, When I used to get them really bad I read up on them a little bit, and according to what I read you get them from landing on the heel of your foot as you run instead of the balls of your feet, this can be caused by either just running wrong or the calf muscle being either too tight or just growing too dominant over the other leg muscles.
I'm stuck running on a treadmill, (I'm a corporate monkey now fitting it in on my lunchbreak) which is horrible for your body. It keeps you in shape, but the wear and tear is out of control and you never have a natural gait, because the "road" is moving by itself underneath you instead of you pushing off of it. My knees are getting ruined. I have amazing shoes... but when you do distance, your body takes a lot of wear and tear over time. Best is running NEXT to sidewalks or on the asphalt, believe it or not. Sidewalks offer too many pounds per pressure of impact, even.

When you get shin splints, the muscle actually begins to tear away from your tibia, which is your shin bone. Second time in my life I've dealt with it. I work on a very busy network of streets, but I'm gonna try to find some roads around here to disappear on during my lunch breaks. My poor body!