Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Star Trek Thread
I'm still betting a shiny dime that the "Seven" we see in that trailer is actually Q.
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth."--Steve McQueen
(09-22-2019, 05:43 PM)mr. stockslivevan Wrote: DS9 really was an exception when it came to character arcs compared to any of the other shows. TOS was virtually nonexistent, but that was a show from a different era and it only lasted three seasons, so I cut it a lot of slack. TNG is pretty much TOS 2.0, but despite its limitations it managed to have some subtle development for an episodic format (I love "All Good Things" demonstrating how much Data grew between the pilot and finale). VOYAGER just wanted to continue the TOS/TNG formula, so despite having a concept that demanded growth on the level of DS9 it barely did much, except perhaps The Doctor. Maybe Seven*. ENTERPRISE was basically TOS formula with no character growth until the third season kicked off, but then it got cancelled the next season. DISCO is still early in its run, so I look forward to how it plays in the grand scheme of things.

*= About Seven, I really look forward to seeing how much she's grown in PICARD. Just that brief clip showed her act more human and less stoic as a drone. I really wish we saw more of that kind of growth in VOYAGER.

There may not have been character growth for TOS unless you include the movies. Then you certainly have arcs for both Kirk and Spock.
"Every romantic comedy should just be called "Tryin' to Fuck" - Patton Oswalt
(09-22-2019, 11:07 PM)hammerhead Wrote: I'm still betting a shiny dime that the "Seven" we see in that trailer is actually Q.

Nah. It makes perfect sense that Seven and Picard would become pals. There's not a ton of ex-Borg in Starfleet.
Good point. But still, the way she calls him "Picard", and razzes him for caring about the universe...
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth."--Steve McQueen
(09-24-2019, 05:08 AM)hammerhead Wrote: Good point. But still, the way she calls him "Picard", and razzes him for caring about the universe...

She seems to have adopted the EMH’s sense of humor.
Not to mention this is nearly 20 years after Voyager got home. It would make no sense if she still had the same personality as when we last saw her. Being around not only more humans but the entire Alpha quadrant no doubt changed her.
Willing to bet Ryan was convinced to come back when they promised she could play a different Seven and would especially not have to wear the catsuit.
New "Picard" trailer:

https://twitter.com/startrekcbs/status/1...2228321280
He named the dog Number One!!
Picard has got a lot of fond memories of that dog.
What a great trailer.

Even if Stewart does look 148 years old.

I can't express how happy I am that this is moving the canon FORWARD. Enough. Fucking. Prequels.

As has been discussed here and on Discord...Discovery never should have been a prequel. And if it was, it should have been set in almost any era other than pre-TOS.
Yeah, the first season really gave no substantial reason for being set in that era. The oddity being that Burnham is related to Spock, and yet producers in the first season insisted that we would never see him, which was bizarre. I do wanna give props to the second season for at least trying to justify all the decisions made for those decisions and taking advantage of them before setting the show in the distant future. In a way it feels like a farewell to that era. It was great to see Pike, and I thought Peck made a better Spock than Quinto.

I watched the Short Trek "Q & A" that focused on Spock's first day of tour on the Enterprise and his interaction with Number One (who was essentially the proto-Spock of the pilot). It's a cute bit. I look forward to seeing more shorts based on Pike era Enterprise, as we won't be getting a full fledged show.
You don’t think we will get a full show? Kurtzman and the cast have played very coy at cons and to the press about the possibilities. I think it’s more a matter of scheduling right now.
On one hand I’d like a Pike show, on the other I’m kinda done with this new aesthetic pre-TOS era.
I am done with Disco but I would watch a Pike show.

The new Short Trek "The Trouble with Edward" is pretty damn hilarious and made me laugh out loud on several occasions, and the post-credits stinger is gold. It feels like a really good tester for the upcoming LOWER DECKS animated series, which will be a comedic take on the franchise.

But, it must be said, canon is somewhat broken in it.
Canon was broken the second Discovery premiered.
Much like time, canon is always fluid.
Originally Posted by ImmortanNick 

Saw Batman v Superman.
Now I know what it's like to see Nickelback in concert.

That's my review.
'Enterprise' did plenty of damage as well.
Enterprise gets more of a pass from me since it’s set 100 years prior to TOS. Gives them plenty of room to work.

I watched “The Trouble with Edward” it was fun. Edward was a dick, but I think the Captain could have handled things better.

But as a continuity thing...if Tribbles destroyed a starship and forced a planet to be evacuated, how come nobody knew about them in “The a Trouble with Tribbles”.
Of all the tribble related stuff, this is my favorite clip of them all.

Thumbed through a bit of the TMP novelization at Barnes and Noble today. The one written by Roddenberry. 

That opening “written” by Kirk is...oof.
On the "Inglorious Treksperts" podcast, one of the hosts can do excellent impressions of Kirk, Spock, McCoy and Roddenberry. He read some excerpts from the novelization, including Kirk's foreward, and it's hysterical.
I’ve heard it’s wild, that’s why I picked it up. Damn, the description of the Illia robot emerging from the shower is very descriptive.
(11 hours ago)Paul755 Wrote: I’ve heard it’s wild, that’s why I picked it up. Damn, the description of the Illia robot emerging from the shower is very descriptive.

Reminders that Roddenberry had a one track mind help me to not worry about Trek canon so much.
"Looking at the Trump administration, I'm starting to think I was too hard on the characters in Prometheus."  --  MrBananaGrabber