Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Star Trek Thread
The OS fx upgrade and TNG remaster make the original versions kinda painful to watch.

I’m not really a fan of the CGI in TOS. The original f/x are rough, but they were of their time so I’m much more accepting of that.
I think they did a really good job of updating them, but I also prefer the original effects. They add to the charm, along with the sets, costumes, and lighting. They're all tied into the "look" of TOS that I love so much.
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
(12-06-2020, 06:06 PM)mr. stockslivevan Wrote: I’m not really a fan of the CGI in TOS. The original f/x are rough, but they were of their time so I’m much more accepting of that.

I take it on a case by case basis.  The FX redo in 'Balance of Terror' is essentially pointless as it's a 1:1 shot recreation of the original.

I think something like 'Doomsday Machine' plays on a higher level with the updates.  At least on the physical discs you have the option of either versions.
The final shot from remastered Turnabout Intruder might be one of my all time favorite shots.

[Image: turnaboutintruderhd1478.jpg]

The original shot for reference...

[Image: turnaboutintruderhd1471.jpg]
"Every romantic comedy should just be called "Tryin' to Fuck" - Patton Oswalt
(12-06-2020, 06:25 PM)mondguy Wrote:
(12-06-2020, 06:06 PM)mr. stockslivevan Wrote: I’m not really a fan of the CGI in TOS. The original f/x are rough, but they were of their time so I’m much more accepting of that.

I take it on a case by case basis.  The FX redo in 'Balance of Terror' is essentially pointless as it's a 1:1 shot recreation of the original.

I actually would have preferred something like what they did with "Balance of Terror". Basically the alternative to the preferred method of re-compositing the original elements. The benefit of CGI is doing some continuity corrections like having the Enterprise match with the regular production model, whereas the original effects often switched between the pilot model and the regular model. Likewise, I thought it was cool that for the pilot episodes they changed the CGI Enterprise to match the original pilot model.

What I didn't like was when the f/x artists got overindulgent by creating shots that wouldn't have been possible in 1966. The two examples I'm thinking of is in "Amok Time" where there's the extreme close up of the Enterprise passing by which is so offputting even my cousin who was watching the show for the first time was wondering why they did that effect. The other is a tiny meteorite hitting the hull of the Constellation. Like, get the fuck outta here with that shit. It feels like something a fan film would have done.

What I do like is creating new ships but matching the aesthetic of TOS, such as Mudd's ship, which was originally a yellow shape on the original version.

[Image: muddswomen001.jpg]

[Image: muddswomenhd003.jpg]
I dunno, I don’t mind the little things in TOS-R like the planet chunk hitting the Constellation. Or showing a realistic looking shuttle launch, etc...
this sucker is pretty cool. I’m not gonna go for it but if they do the TOS Enterprise I probably will.

https://www.herocollector.com/en-us/Arti...terprise-d
(12-08-2020, 08:56 PM)Paul755 Wrote: this sucker is pretty cool. I’m not gonna go for it but if they do the TOS Enterprise I probably will.

https://www.herocollector.com/en-us/Arti...terprise-d

Beautiful.

As for the TOS Enterprise, I've still got the Playmates toy version on a shelf in my home office.  One of my favorite Christmas gifts from the mid-1990s!
[Image: image_7a80a675-5526-415f-bd06-904f3f3666b4.jpg]

That whole "Classic STAR TREK" line from Playmates was pretty great for a young fan growing up at that time.
I had the Enterprise-B of theirs, and the Enterprise-D specifically from GENERATIONS that had all the battle damage on the hull (if I remember, pieces of hull would pop off by pressing some button. I was actually bummed the saucer section couldn't detach like in the movie.

Beyond that, I mainly had Micro Machines of nearly every Trek ship that was available by 1994. Pretty sure I still have the Romulan Bird of Prey somewhere too.

EDIT:

Pretty sure this was one of the sets:

[Image: 711J-g0WE8L._AC_SL1000_.jpg]

Weirdly, I don't remember having a Cardassian cruiser. Maybe mine didn't come with it.
I had that set, or one very similar.

I desperately wanted the Playmates Enterprise-E from the FIRST CONTACT line, but I had to settle for the Borg Sphere and a couple action figures that Christmas! I still do kind of want a version of that ship.
For your consideration:

"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth."--Steve McQueen
Glorious!
The Gorn looks like he just showed up uninvited.
If I could change to liquid, I'd fill the cracks and bend the rocks.
And he knows it!
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth."--Steve McQueen
based on what I've seen here, I've gone ahead and bought the TOS remastered set on Vudu. It looks too cool. I'm in the middle of watching the films right now and having a blast, so watching the TOS should be fun afterwards.
Speaking of remastered... My goodness do the films need to be remastered in 4K. I think THE WRATH OF KHAN stands as the only installment to get such treatment. The films that need it the most IMO are THE MOTION PICTURE (especially the Director's Cut), THE VOYAGE HOME (the only Trek to get an Oscar nom for cinematography), and most importantly THE UNDISCOVERED COUNTRY, which looks like it was DNR'd to hell.
If they are going to remaster the films, they need to start from scratch. Whoever did the first remasters for HD/Blu went WAY overboard on the noise reduction. Especially with TMP. Some scenes are so blurry it’s ridiculous.
My understanding is that all that Paramount did for the blu-rays was slap on very old HD masters that were originally meant for TV broadcasting like HBO. They're basically 20 year old transfers at this point, that's why they look so horribly dated. The HD remasters for TOS and TNG however look brand new by comparison. I'm never not impressed over how good those shows look.

And it goes without saying DS9 would look great too if CBS decided to put some money into it. Given how well their streaming service has been doing, I'd assume they could afford it. Maybe even make an HD remaster an exclusive for their platform. But only time will tell.

And yeah, I suppose VOYAGER could use one too. It would at least look nicer...
Well whoever did the movies did a shit job. The directors edition of WOK looks good though.

The holy grail of remasters would be DS9.

They could do Voyager and Enterprise too but since they can’t find the money for DS9, getting all 3 would be long shots.
(12-09-2020, 08:38 PM)Paul755 Wrote: Well whoever did the movies did a shit job. The directors edition of WOK looks good though.

The holy grail of remasters would be DS9.

They could do Voyager and Enterprise too but since they can’t find the money for DS9, getting all 3 would be long shots.

It isn't necessarily an apples-to-apples comparison.  Sometimes the cost of remastering can vary greatly due to production pipeline decisions that have little to do with what we ended up ultimately watching on television.

ENTERPRISE is already in HD. The only thing that could be improved from a potential remaster is if they re-rez the effects from the first season, as they were only done at 480.
ENT was shot on film for the first three seasons. Only S4 was HD native.
And ironically it’s the 4th season that looks the best. Probably because there was no need to convert film to video process.
Yeah, Enterprise would just be a cleanup/polish.
[Image: 136646151_160638782510272_51345767963877...e=601B72FC]
I recently bought THE UNDISCOVERED COUNTRY on iTunes, which includes an HD copy of the Director's Cut. One difference in the transfer for the DC is that it used Nick Meyer's preferred taller aspect ratio 2:00 instead of the 2:35. The other difference is quite a freaking relief...

Theatrical Cut Blu-ray
[Image: YtdBES1.jpeg]

Director's Cut iTunes
[Image: TGe3Js0.png]

I haven't watched the Director's Cut all the way through yet. I've only been looking at bits and pieces such as above to see how different it looks from the blu-ray. It's not an amazing transfer, but compared to the blu-ray it looks like a godsend. I just hope Paramount one day gives this along with other Trek films a proper 4K remaster down the line.
Interesting!
Took more screencaps of TUC.

https://imgur.com/a/BUTpoqG
Was there ever an explanation for why Meyer changed the aspect ratio?
According to Cinematographer Hiro Narita, Meyer wanted to shoot Undiscovered Country in Super-35 (Khan was anamorphic), which gave him access to faster and lighter lenses. Super 35 also allows wiggle room on presentation aspect ratios: 2.35:1 for the 35mm anamorphic prints and 2:1 for the 70mm release prints. I assume Meyer's preferred framing was for the 70mm prints.
(12-09-2020, 05:41 PM)mr. stockslivevan Wrote: Speaking of remastered... My goodness do the films need to be remastered in 4K. I think THE WRATH OF KHAN stands as the only installment to get such treatment. The films that need it the most IMO are THE MOTION PICTURE (especially the Director's Cut), THE VOYAGE HOME (the only Trek to get an Oscar nom for cinematography), and most importantly THE UNDISCOVERED COUNTRY, which looks like it was DNR'd to hell.

The recent "Director's Cut" BD of The Wrath of Khan is actually sourced from a brand-new 4K scan of the original camera-negative -- the only one of the first ten films so far to receive this treatment. So basically they could put out a true 2160p UHD Blu-ray of TWOK tomorrow if they wanted to, but yeah, the other nine films are gonna need some new love by the studio's restoration teams.
"These guys are pros, Michael. They're gonna push the tension 'till the last possible moment before they strip."

(12-06-2020, 02:23 PM)slim Wrote: Was TNG similarly remastered? Watching on Netflix, I was impressed by how well many FX sequences have held up...

But then I was without internet this weekend and got stuck watching one of those old people re-run channels (I've now bought seven catheters and have a reverse mortgage), and saw my first ever episodes of VOYAGER and ENTERPRISE. The ship sequences in those look like absolute CG cartoon garbage.

I missed the TNG episode that aired for comparison, and wondered if the collected series had been spiffed up. I suppose it's also possible those later series just didn't have the budget TNG had.

The shows after TNG actually had more robust budgets (though ENT's was severely reduced by the fourth season). TNG really benefited from the remaster not just because of the leap in resolution but also because the ship sequences were recomposited and enhanced in a way that made them look as good as the movie f/x. When you compare the original clips with the remastered clips, the original SD versions look like dogshit.

[Image: YJTFNAT.png]

[Image: yltYWxz.jpg]

[Image: 8PxYzXA.jpg]

[Image: TwPfX8i.jpg]

Despite being produced for 90s TV, a lot of the CGI modeling for DS9/VOY were actually done on the level of film quality because the f/x people wanted to make sure the transition from miniature to CGI was near seamless. If a proper remaster were to be done on those the same way TNG benefited then they'd look a lot better than their original SD counterparts. Luckily, a lot of the f/x crew had saved the original CGI elements and can be utilized for a remaster. There's clips of how the CGI would look if rerendered in HD, while also enhanced much like TNG's, and that's before CBS putting money into such a restoration.