Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Science, Technology and Futurism Thread
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric Cordo
View Post
Did anyone watch that show on the History Channel last night about the invisibility cloaks? Pretty neat stuff.

Well, I, for one, just want to commend the History Channel for largely doing away with their, y'know, historical programs. More "MonsterQuest", "Ice Road Truckers", "Gangland" and "Life After People", please.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mattioli
View Post
Well, I, for one, just want to commend the History Channel for largely doing away with their, y'know, historical programs. More "MonsterQuest", "Ice Road Truckers", "Gangland" and "Life After People", please.

The problem with people learning history is that people might learn from the past, can't have that you know. I don't know what type of new government we are heading toward, whether it be totalitarian, communist, or something new, but it not going to be fun. Running Man, or Roller Ball here we come here we come.
Images of the Apollo landing sites from the LRO:
http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/ba...imaged-by-lro/
http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/LR...ollosites.html

Conspiracy theorists can kindly fuck off now.
Also, 35 Awesome Augmented Reality Examples:

http://www.bannerblog.com.au/news/20...y_examples.php
Does it bother anybody else that by this time next year, our country, which put the first humans on the moon, will no longer be a space-faring nation?
But...Virgin Galactic, Dickson! VIRGIN GALACTIC!

Yes, it bothers me. Also, there's talk of de-orbiting the ISS in 2015 or 2016. CRAZY.

A private-only space program kind of scares the crap out of me, actually. Am I the only one who sometimes has trouble sleeping due to worrying about all the ways humanity could be toast? Gamma ray bursts, asteroids, environmental collapse, war, pandemics...we need to colonize if humanity is going to survive in the long term.

Either that or we build a Dyson Sphere/Matrioshka brain. But then we're talking of something that's not really human anymore.
Hell, at this rate, we'll be giving up the continent and moving back to Europe by the turn of the century.
Don't get me started on what a myopic waste of potential the last few decades have been. I was watching TV the other day and as a documentary about the moon landing came on, I switched away instantly. I knew that watching it would only make me mad at the ridiculous wheel spinning space exploration has been doing in the last four decades. "Hooray, we put a tiny rover on Mars! Rejoice!" Forty years after an actual human walked on a different planet for fuck's sake.

Although I don't want to put the full blame on NASA. They do what they can with what they're given, I guess. It's just a shame. When I was growing up NASA still had the clout from the Apollo program and in my eyes it was an almost mythical organization of unlimited potential staffed by the brightest people on Earth. And don't get me started on the astronauts. I thought they were more like comic book superheroes than actual men. It saddens me to think what the kids growing up today think about these things.
Giant Squid Terrorize Californian Coast
Oh man, Discovery Channel told me that Humboldt squids are giant assholes. Things will be fun in San Diego for quite a while. I wonder how their meat tastes like, though. Calamari stake, nomnomnom.
Quote:

Originally Posted by stelios
View Post
Oh man, Discovery Channel told me that Humboldt squids are giant assholes. Things will be fun in San Diego for quite a while. I wonder how their meat tastes like, though. Calamari stake, nomnomnom.

Humboldt taste really good, Bar B Q Stakes.
Quote:

View Post

Then definately avoid the pale shadow of what used to be The Learning Channel.

(I really can't abide by these reality shows, particularly the ones where they follow a bunch of mundane cyphers through a daily grind. Yet, I somehow glommed on to IceRoad Truckers. I'm sure the novelty will wear off fast, but right now, it's the closest thing to a real life WAGES OF FEAR that's out there. My love of the sea and Melville kept me with Deadliest Catch far longer than I thought it would.)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacob Singer
View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by wary denizens of beleaguered seaside hamlet

"I wouldn't go into the water with them for the same reason I wouldn't walk into a pride of lions on the Serengeti," said Mike Bear, a local diver. "For all I know, I'm missing the experience of a lifetime."

Roger Uzun, a veteran scuba diver and amateur underwater videographer, swam with a swarm of the creatures for about 20 minutes and said they appeared more curious than aggressive. The animals taste with their tentacles, he said, and seemed to be touching him and his wet suit to determine if he was edible.

Time for an appeal to divine providence, mateys. With Doug McClure gone, I'm afraid San Diego stands no chance against malevolent monsters like these.
Quote:

Originally Posted by stelios
View Post
Don't get me started on what a myopic waste of potential the last few decades have been. I was watching TV the other day and as a documentary about the moon landing came on, I switched away instantly. I knew that watching it would only make me mad at the ridiculous wheel spinning space exploration has been doing in the last four decades. "Hooray, we put a tiny rover on Mars! Rejoice!" Forty years after an actual human walked on a different planet for fuck's sake.

Although I don't want to put the full blame on NASA. They do what they can with what they're given, I guess. It's just a shame. When I was growing up NASA still had the clout from the Apollo program and in my eyes it was an almost mythical organization of unlimited potential staffed by the brightest people on Earth. And don't get me started on the astronauts. I thought they were more like comic book superheroes than actual men. It saddens me to think what the kids growing up today think about these things.

God I agree, I mean we have not gone back to the moon, we should already be on Mars...

I want a moon base in my life time damn it!!!

So what on earth is going to happen once the Shuttle is put to rest?
Programmable matter: http://singularityhub.com/2009/07/23...most-anything/

Make sure you watch the videos.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eyeball Kid
View Post
Programmable matter: http://singularityhub.com/2009/07/23...most-anything/

Make sure you watch the videos.

the Fab Lab is net,might have to got the 20 to 50 thousand together to get one for my own use.
Quote:

View Post
More "MonsterQuest"...

Hey, you leave MQ outta this! Them's fightin' words!
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacob Singer
View Post

The title's kinda a misnomer. They're not the "Giant" squids. Humbolts ARE large, but the ones that generally come near the surface (as in the article) are man-sized, not sperm-whale fighters.
If it's a man-sized variety of something I can get on a plate at Brio, it's giant.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Dickson
View Post
If it's a man-sized variety of something I can get on a plate at Brio, it's giant.

they swim in pack d are big enough to look at you as a diner plate.
Projected building surface. Tech art, of sorts.

http://vimeo.com/5677104
Printing an entire building into existence:
http://www.d-shape.com/pg2.htm

Futuristic display interfaces demoed at SIGGRAPH
http://www.technologyreview.com/blog/editors/23940/

http://store.wondermark.com/
Anyone else kind of think the future will look like it does in my all time favorite novel?

(that novel is Neuromance)

Or sort of like in Babylon AD? That was basically the same thing only without the neural network stuff.

Urban sprawl leading to megacities, and crushing poverty and inequalit leading to devestating conditions elsewhere. Poisoned seas and rivers, and glittering sky lines?

If I had to pick a movie/novel futurist future that I think will turn out to be accurate, that would be it.

That or children of men or deus ex.
Quote:

Originally Posted by MoonBaseNick
View Post
God I agree, I mean we have not gone back to the moon, we should already be on Mars...

I want a moon base in my life time damn it!!!

So what on earth is going to happen once the Shuttle is put to rest?

I think the shuttle is totally lame. It is like illicit love child of a Battlestar Galactica Raptor and a Ford Fiesta. We should be working on actual space ships, not super high altitude planes that can happen to leave the atmosphere for a little jaunt into outer space, which is essentially what the shuttle basically is.

Anyway, so YES, we should be going other places and building new ships.

With that said, why is there this big fear of a gap in our space faring capabilities with the retirement of the shuttle? Why are we retiring it? Why not build a few more since we own the plans for the things. At least until we build something better.

But since we know how to make space ships, it seems utterly crazy that we are suddenly at a loss for space ships.
From Discovery News:

Gel Heals Injured Brain and Bone
Quote:

Originally Posted by Princess Kate
View Post
With that said, why is there this big fear of a gap in our space faring capabilities with the retirement of the shuttle? Why are we retiring it? Why not build a few more since we own the plans for the things. At least until we build something better.

But since we know how to make space ships, it seems utterly crazy that we are suddenly at a loss for space ships.

The space shuttles are being scrapped because the design in extremely expensive to maintain, and is extremely dangerous. The older style of being on top of the rocket is a much safer design.

Check out what NASA is building to replace the space shuttles.
http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/co...ion/index.html
Quote:

View Post
I think the shuttle is totally lame. It is like illicit love child of a Battlestar Galactica Raptor and a Ford Fiesta. We should be working on actual space ships, not super high altitude planes that can happen to leave the atmosphere for a little jaunt into outer space, which is essentially what the shuttle basically is.

Anyway, so YES, we should be going other places and building new ships.

The only propulsion system we have which can power a 'space ship' like you are talking about are nuclear rockets, and we don't want those used in our atmosphere for any number of reasons.
Quote:

Originally Posted by billylove
View Post
The space shuttles are being scrapped because the design in extremely expensive to maintain, and is extremely dangerous. The older style of being on top of the rocket is a much safer design.

Check out what NASA is building to replace the space shuttles.
http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/co...ion/index.html

I was not arguing to keep the shuttle forever, but to keep it in use till we have a new ship ready to go. Not scrap it when all we have lined up are plans for a new ship
Quote:

View Post
Anyone else kind of think the future will look like it does in my all time favorite novel?

(that novel is Neuromance)

Or sort of like in Babylon AD? That was basically the same thing only without the neural network stuff.

Urban sprawl leading to megacities, and crushing poverty and inequalit leading to devestating conditions elsewhere. Poisoned seas and rivers, and glittering sky lines?

If I had to pick a movie/novel futurist future that I think will turn out to be accurate, that would be it.

That or children of men or deus ex.

I am betting on something between death race 2000, and Rollerball!
Quote:

View Post
I was not arguing to keep the shuttle forever, but to keep it in use till we have a new ship ready to go. Not scrap it when all we have lined up are plans for a new ship

might as well use them tell they fall out of the sky again?
Quote:

Originally Posted by eenin
View Post
might as well use them tell they fall out of the sky again?

No one forces them to be astronauts. They pioneers of the final frontier, a much different kind of government employment than 'Postal Worker' or 'IRS Agent'. There are risks, I for one do not get my panties in a twist with fear over shuttle malfunctions. Space is dangerous, shit goes wrong. Find a different career if you cant handle it, Mr Astronaut.
You are a fucking retard.
Scientists try to create Schroedinger's Cat experiment for real.

So cool.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eyeball Kid
View Post
The phone in your pocket, the computer you typed your post on, ARE brain augmentations. They're just external. Did you see the part about augmented reality apps on location aware phones?

Here's one now.
Quote:

View Post

They are way too dangerous. Way too expensive. They are a huge liability. NASA cannot afford another shuttle disaster.

Also, read up on this http://www.nasa.gov/pdf/317642main_F...C-OrionLAS.pdf

The new launch abort system is a HUGE reason why the shuttles are being mothballed.