Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Conan on TBS
I thought it was great. I wonder what the olds who are used to Leno's non-humor thought.
Quote:

Originally Posted by gravedigger
View Post
I thought it was great. I wonder what the olds who are used to Leno's non-humor thought.

See most of the comments in the CNN article linked above.
Yeah, I love that Andy will be possibly derailing Conan's monologues. He really needs someone to kind of instigate shenanigans. I actually kind of loved the writerless episodes of the old show when it was just Conan killing time.
The first show gave me a choco taco craving which is difficult to satisfy, as there is only like one place I've seen choco tacos in the last 5 years, and they didn't have them today.
Quote:

Originally Posted by El Gray
View Post
I just need to throw out a WHAT THE HELL to this CNN.com poll, currently in progress:

Will you watch Conan O'Brien's new show?
Yes 32% 54938
No 68% 115417
Total Votes: 170355

Boooooo!

That type of negative reaction on a pretty popular site makes me very curious to see how the ratings for the show hold up through the week. The first show had strong ratings, but I wonder how many of those were the "he's so crude! where's my Depends?" people that aren't gonna tune in again.
Just watched the second show, then I was going to stick around and see a Steve Martin/Paul Simon banjo/guitar jam on Late Night, but couldn't get past the monologue. Turned the TV off at the same point last night.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ratty
View Post
Does anyone still watch Letterman anymore?

Yes.
Tom Hanks getting hit with the meteor made me throw my arms up toward the sky in joy.
Did the sound keep dropping during Green Day for anyone else or was that just shitty DirecTv or my shitty DirecTv receiver?
The sound was dropping all night for me, weird clicking noises and fading. God damn Time Warner...
Quote:

View Post

I do, especially when he's angry or he hates his guest. Angry Dave is awesome.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicholas Reed
View Post
Tom Hanks getting hit with the meteor made me throw my arms up toward the sky in joy.

I was figuratively with you. What a goofy, great bit.

I'm enjoying how game the guests are to get silly with 'CoCo'. I think this may be the quality that hooks older/staider viewers. Watching Tom Hanks let his hair down and sing a random Turner and Hooch ditty is as endearing as it is bizarre and hilarious.
Quote:

Originally Posted by E.C.
View Post
That type of negative reaction on a pretty popular site makes me very curious to see how the ratings for the show hold up through the week. The first show had strong ratings, but I wonder how many of those were the "he's so crude! where's my Depends?" people that aren't gonna tune in again.

...but Conan's not for them, he's for a younger generation, a generation that were probably a similair age when Jay took over from Johnny and now have gotten old enough that they should be tucked into bed with a cup of warm milk by 11:30pm in the anyway.

Look at it already, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Conans got his statement of intention laid out in just two shows, and he's not here for the geriatric crowd that found Jay to be an unfunny bland late night comfort zone.

I mean these guys are realistically gonna start dying soon and the Gen-X and Y's are the right age for The Tonight Show in 2009.

Does NBC really have to keep pandering to fucking geriatric boomers these days? Really?

Because that crowd in Conans audience seem genuinely amped, thats not faking, and looking at the comments just in this thread suggest Conans hitting the sweet spot of people the right age for him, just not necassarily older.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Sutton
View Post
Spacehog.

I remember it being Goldfinger.
I loved the time lapse of the chinese woman that turned into Max. That and the Andy one. Fucking greatness.
I thought it was endearing that CoCo seemed genuinely thrilled to have Green Day playing on the show.
They gave him a guitar too. I'm digging the hell outta his new set. Fucking amazing. Although it's wierd to have the band on the opposite side.
Finally watched both episodes this morning and loved it. Really classy opening with the retro peacock, a nice tip of the hat. It'll be interesting to see if they adjust Andy down the line from that tiny podium. Some excellent video segments, dug the quick clip of him at the Lakers game.

An excellent pair of guests, it's been a while since I've seen Hanks so fired up, I hope that segment swayed some of the naysayers scouring the murky depths of the internet.
Andy looked a lot more Andy last night. Perhaps his body had some first night jitters.
I laughed more during the Twitter Tracker segment than I ever did during the entire run of Leno. This is something special! I love overly enthusiastic off screen voices.
Hanks was fantastic and the Twitter skit made me laugh. BRO'S A NO-NO FOR COCO!
I enjoyed the Rodeo Rd shopping segment. I thought it was bound for awkward moments. But the "Bitch" belt buckle sold me.
The ending to that skit is what saved it for me. Otherwise it felt really off.
Quote:

View Post

Are you fucking kidding?
Pretty good stuff last night. And while they are always great...they need to cut the man on the street stuff back to once a week at most. Otherwise it turns into Jaywalking and we all lose.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dranbon
View Post
The sound was dropping all night for me, weird clicking noises and fading. God damn Time Warner...

I watched on over-the-air HD, and the sound was fine. However, I'll second your "God damn Time Warner" because they're fucking awful.

Now, the night before, the sound was fine until Pearl Jam started playing - and then the sound mix went all shitty. It wasn't just Pearl Jam sucking, it was a horrible audio mix with the vocals all but buried. The only thing I can think of is that I was watching the premiere episode through a friend's DTV converter box, and the mixdown from the original 5.1 channel mix to two channel stereo may have been subpar. Did anyone watch it in true 5.1?
Actually, I think that's just how Eddie Vedder sings. There's a reason there are five million of those 'what's Eddie Vedder saying anyways' youtube videos out there.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pine_Power
View Post
I love Conan. I grew up watching Late Night. One of my favorite moments was an older episode. Some b-list band finished playing and as usual, Conan walked over to shake hands. One of the band members flipped Conan over his back! It was eye-poppingly amazing. Five minutes later, my best friend and neighbor was pounding on my bedroom window. "Dude, did you watch Conan? Holy shit!"

Needless to say, last night was epic. Andy's back (STARING CONTESTS) proving what everyone else knew, he never should have left.
I'll be tuning in every night.

I couldn't agree more. I've been watching him almost non-stop since the '90s. Conan's always been great but I just felt like the show was never really the same since Andy left and I'm so fucking happy he's back. The staring contests were some of the funniest fucking skits ever. I loved how Andy finally won the last show he was on. What about that same show (the good-bye to Andy show) when it opened with Andy in an office packing things up and this black guy walks in and is all like "What are you doing in my office?" Andy looks at him and then takes out a picture frame with the guys family and is like "Can I at least keep the picture?" LMAO!

Andy's awesome but not as an actor... he would have been great on SNL or sticking to late night talk shows. He was much better in skits. I did like Andy Richter Controls The Universe but even then I would have liked it if he had stuck to doing Conan again or doing a sketch comedy show.

Speaking of old Conan clips... remember when Andy was there and the crew would take time to apologize to each other for things they did? One of the shows Andy apologized to Conan for introducing his parents to him at an inappropriate time. They show a video of it and Andy is walking with his parents down the hallway backstage at the studio and he takes his parents into the men's restroom where Conan is at the urinal taking a piss and he has to shake their hands.

Oh I wish I could fine the one where the guy moved the star that Conan jumped on to start his monologue each night. When he would come out for Late Night he'd follow the small stars on the floor until he got to the big one where he'd jump and land on. Someone moved it and Conan comes out and he follows the other stars all the way backstage and he jumps on the star and I think he was either backstage or outside by the time he got to the big star. It was hilarious.

I think I'm the only person to own the In The Year 2000 and If They Mated books... I got them back in high school about 8 years ago and still have them and his autograph I sent in for and they actually sent me one.

Anyways, Conan's first two shows have been great so far. I want to see more of Andy and more Max but I think they're just making these shows packed right now with big actors and bands. I don't think we've even seen Conan look at Max and Max give that creepy look right back at him.
Show two was even better than the first night. It almost feels like the same show as 'Late Night', only with a bit more swagger and a bigger budget. I hope that formula is successful and that the olds learn to like CoCo.

I'm happy they kept Conan's theme music too. The little touches like that mean a lot.

As a Conan watcher from day one back in college, this week is making me very, very happy.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Doc Happenin
View Post
Actually, I think that's just how Eddie Vedder sings. There's a reason there are five million of those 'what's Eddie Vedder saying anyways' youtube videos out there.

Yeah. Ha Ha! He's hard to understand.
The thing that's going to hurt NBC the most is keeping Fallon. It's totally different from Conan because Fallon's a proven actor already and isn't going to get any better. Conan was someone completely unknown and turned out to be great. With Fallon and Daly it's horrible after Conan goes off the air.
Most would argue that Fallon has only "proven" how unfunny he is.
Anyone else think Tom Hanks was drunk last night?

Also, I was too tired to change the channel and caught Steve Martin and Paul Simon. They did some bit in which they wore wigs and acted as though it was twenty or so years ago. Paul was playing songs and talking about how funny they were while Steve brought up some of his old SNL/Stand up material and insisted it was serious. The whole thing was funnier than anything Fallon has ever or will ever do.

And only two and a half hours until Conan round 3. Good fucking times! I don't even know who the guests are, but I honestly don't care. Conan and Andy are good enough for me.
Ye crap, that Twitter Tracker was funny. Brilliantly encapsulates our enthusiasm for pointless, retarded technology.

Thinking about it, though, it sort of ripped off the "Powerthirst" video.
Yeah, that Twitter Tracker video has been all over the Internet today. That was a winner. CoCo is never going to lose that nickname now.