Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Conan on TBS
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Prankster
View Post
Ye crap, that Twitter Tracker was funny. Brilliantly encapsulates our enthusiasm for pointless, retarded technology.

Thinking about it, though, it sort of ripped off the "Powerthirst" video.

In all fairness, Conan has been doing the whole "overly enthusiastic announcer makes violently bad puns" schtick for a lot longer than the Powerthirst video has existed.
The booming voice on Twitter Tracker is awesome. Hopefully they do the "celebrity" walk through that ends up with Max getting called an Ass.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eyeball Kid
View Post
Show two was even better than the first night. It almost feels like the same show as 'Late Night', only with a bit more swagger and a bigger budget. I hope that formula is successful and that the olds learn to like CoCo.

I'm happy they kept Conan's theme music too. The little touches like that mean a lot.

As a Conan watcher from day one back in college, this week is making me very, very happy.

Agreed. The first show was very good - a few first night jitters kept it from true greatness - but last night's show was just FANTASTIC. Simply hilarious- the Twitter Tracker thing was hilarious, as was Tom Hanks (loved the old-school gag of him getting hit with the meteor).

These great sketches give me hope some of the old, great sketches will return ("In the Year 2000," "Small Talk Moment"Wink. Conan's humor hasn't missed a beat it seems. And Thank God for that. My full thoughts on the return of Conan can be seen on my blog (in my sig).
IN THE YEAR 3000.

Lowering those collars from the ceiling was brilliant.
Sooo... Julia Louis-Dreyfus looks great.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacob
View Post

And she took out Kenneth! That was a funny segment.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacob
View Post

She always has. I had no idea she is only 5'3.

Tonight's show was kind of lackluster compared to the past couple of nights. I really didn't like changing the Year 2000 bit's name. Its the same style of jokes, yet part of the comedy always came from it being well past the year 2000. I see no reason to "update" it.

I like it when the first guest sticks around (besides, Julia makes for good eye candy). And tonight was a great example why. The three of them sitting there had great chemistry and I was chuckling quite a bit when Julia exclaimed, "What is going on with this show?
I was a little disappointed that they changed the name, because even though we're past that point, it was supposed to be this magical futuristic date. Even when I was a child and it was only 15 years away, it just seemed like by then we'd all be in flying cars. I liked how they kept that on Late Night.

But with that said, I thought the change was handled well. Andy pointing it out felt a proper way to do it. And ultimately it doesn't change the nature of the bit.
I'm guessing the whole "year 2000" bit was a little too inside for them to keep, although it made it twice as funny to longtime fans. But if you're just some Leno fan checking out the new guy you might not get the joke.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beldar
View Post
I'm guessing the whole "year 2000" bit was a little too inside for them to keep, although it made it twice as funny to longtime fans. But if you're just some Leno fan checking out the new guy you might not get the joke.

The transition to the "In the Year 3000" bit was handled pretty well, I thought. Loved the comment from Andy (at least, I think it was him) about the neck braces - "These cost us a lot of money."

"YouTwitFace!"

Also, Julia Louis-Dreyfus was smokin' hot tonight. Wow.

Loved the random appearance of Jack McBrayer as Kenneth the Page. So awesome.
The joke was always that it wasn't that far off (and then eventually in the past). But it's hard to make it catchy if it's "The Year 2020" or something. Again, I love that Andy is still cracking up Conan. Andy's interrupting him seems to generally lead to funny little bits.

Second the Kenneth the Page character love as well. Also enjoyed the audience reaction to the Chevy Scrotum.
Personally I liked Conans reaction to GM's Scrotum line and Andy's defense.

"It's... It's the future."
"Hey, Coop and I are hanging out!"

"Yeah, Dreyf."

Heh. Love having the ginger bastard back. As for numbers, the reports we've been getting at the NBC station I work for are really good and positive, including Monday's which were the highest Monday numbers for the past 4 years or some such nonsense. So, yeah. Way to go, Conan.

Does this mean a Staring Contest isn't too far away?
Did anyone else get a bit of a douche-vibe from Bradley Cooper last night?

It was hard to tell if JLD was playing along with the 'bro talk' or genuinely sort of put off by 'Coop,' which made the whole thing funnier to me.

I've got nothing against Cooper, and I enjoyed his appearance, but I was definately sensing some Dreyf discomfort.
If they built that like that on purpose, it's one of the best things i've ever seen done with a set.
Saw that on gizmodo today. Kinda neat.
I love the geeking out feeling when you see every show, little by little, bits and pieces of classic Late Night gags making the transition to the west coast, an hour earlier, and a larger audience. Last night we got "In The Year 200...er, 3000," PIERRE RENARD, awkward staring while Max Weinberg gets called a pervert, La Bamba randomness, and the Larry King impersonation(hope he gets to bust out his Trump impersonation soon; that never ceases to crack me up).

And may I just say that maturity and getting older totally blows? I only made it to about midnight during the first two episodes before nodding off. Last night I at least got to see JLD beating down Kenneth the Page and stealing an Oscar. Though really, that makes it identical to Late Night and most late night talk shows: I usually only stick around for the opening comedy unless some guest I really want to see is on.

I'm dying to see my father's reaction to this show. He's a guy who can be heard laughing heartily at Leno's monologue downstairs while I use my computer upstairs.

EDIT: Didn't see that Super Mario thing when I started typing my post. Pretty awesome.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tati
View Post
If they built that like that on purpose, it's one of the best things i've ever seen done with a set.

No way in hell that's not on purpose. Absolutely wonderful.
The background maybe the best thing ever.
The funniest thing about the Twitter skit was that they used Dennis Haysbert in the joke (I mean, why? what's he done to anyone? so random)
Hanks was great when he mentioned he'd seen Star Trek WITH Haysbert.
Is that background one specific Super Mario level, or is it cobbled together?
Cobbled together.
I actually know the dudes who made that. Really funny guys. Apparently it's gonna be on the show tonight.
Conan has been genuinely entertaining. Craig Ferguson was also great with the 'Istanbul' opening last night. It's okay to skip Jimmy Fallon.
How are the ratings going? For Conan AND Fallon?
Quote:

Originally Posted by Filipino Elvis
View Post
PIERRE RENARD.

It's Pierre Bernard, and its good to see that the whole "Conan is gonna have to change when moving to 11:30" is so far unfounded. Same good ol' Conan, earlier time.
Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeShaynePI
View Post
It's Pierre Bernard, and its good to see that the whole "Conan is gonna have to change when moving to 11:30" is so far unfounded. Same good ol' Conan, earlier time.

I always figured he would come firing out of the gate doing the show we all enjoyed. My concern is if the ratings tail off (it was a pretty safe bet they would start out very strong, time will tell if they stay up), will the suits step in and try to neuter him. My big fear is, come the fall, middle America will turn off the TV after Leno gives them 60 minutes of banal mediocrity.
I missed Pierre? DAMNIT. Please tell me it's on Hulu. I was 20 minutes late last night because I went to Sonic to get my FREE ROOT BEER FLOAT, and I missed Pierre Bernard!

Also, he mentioned that Kareem was on? I missed that, too.
Fallon's ratings will continue to suck. I can't help but feel bad for the guy. He's earnest enough but he just isn't funny.

As for CoCo, his ratings will forever be on the rise.
Quote:

Originally Posted by BadlyDrawnBagel
View Post
I always figured he would come firing out of the gate doing the show we all enjoyed. My concern is if the ratings tail off (it was a pretty safe bet they would start out very strong, time will tell if they stay up), will the suits step in and try to neuter him. My big fear is, come the fall, middle America will turn off the TV after Leno gives them 60 minutes of banal mediocrity.

I think most people will be watching the local news instead of Leno. I doubt Leno's new shitfest will last long anyway.
Quote:

Originally Posted by El Gray
View Post
I missed Pierre? DAMNIT. Please tell me it's on Hulu. I was 20 minutes late last night because I went to Sonic to get my FREE ROOT BEER FLOAT, and I missed Pierre Bernard!

Also, he mentioned that Kareem was on? I missed that, too.

Sonic advertises during Conan here in LA, yet there are no Sonics in LA... so fuck you!
Poor Dreyfus, getting zero audience reaction to the obviously phony 'honorary Oscar' setup. Is every interview going to include a staged bit? Why not just script the whole show?
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammerhead
View Post
Poor Dreyfus, getting zero audience reaction to the obviously phony 'honorary Oscar' setup. Is every interview going to include a staged bit? Why not just script the whole show?

Party pooper.