Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Conan on TBS

Sequel to Monorail?

Classic Conan.  Take a subject that suggests political commentary and turn it into a song and dance number about pronunciation.

I wonder why he hasn't announced the air date for the Italy special yet.  I know the Haiti special was probably fast-tracked due to its relevance, but I was getting used to the rapid turnaround.

Also, sneaky fans have gathered some evidence that Conan was planning to go to India during this last hiatus, and that choosing Italy instead was apparently a last minute swap.  I guess we can expect India next.  It would bring Conan up to his tenth travelogue special.  That's a effectively a season's worth of "Conan Without Borders."  Considering those episodes are offered on Amazon and iTunes, it would be cool if they popped up on Netflix at some point.

Conan had Former Secretary of Labor Robert Reich on last night, and he showed a clip from the great sketch they did together on Late Night.  That part of the interview isn't on Youtube (I guess NBC wouldn't allow that), but a fan uploaded the whole bit ages ago:

Whoa and featuring a young Donald Glover!
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
New remote:

Good to see Burt Reynolds but man, this interview feels really awkward.
"Every romantic comedy should just be called "Tryin' to Fuck" - Patton Oswalt

He finally broke him.

The Conan and Jordan in Italy was shown last night...and it was pretty great.

Conan was being such a dick to Jordan but if I had to be around him for an extended amount of time, I'd be a dick to him as well.

I used to be with "it", but then they changed what "it" was. Now, what I'm with isn't "it", and what's "it" seems weird and scary to me. -Grandpa Simpson
This was Conan's least "important" travelogue, but it was also his funniest. It's a pretty different vibe because Conan usually makes himself the joke, but here he's just being a dick to Jordan the whole time. Which is great.
Did anyone catch the live Q&A for the Italy special?  It's wonderfully uncomfortable as Conan relentlessly rags on Jordan, and Jordan just sits there like a serial killer about to snap.  

Every once in a while they do a bit that reminds you why Andy will forever be the standard against which all other sidekicks are judged:

‘Conan’s New Half-Hour Format Means Fewer Celebrity Interviews, More Comedy
I used to be with "it", but then they changed what "it" was. Now, what I'm with isn't "it", and what's "it" seems weird and scary to me. -Grandpa Simpson
The same announcement promises that all episodes of "Late Night" and the TBS show will become available this year. Talk about way overdue. I'm not sure why Conan's "Tonight Show" is not included. Surely whatever legal wrangling was required for the "Late Night" episodes would apply to that as well. Only thing I can think of is that NBC feels embarrassed by it. Anyway, I'm beyond stoked that "Late Night" will be legally available for the first time since the NBC split. Perfect way to commemorate Conan's 25th anniversary.
This feels like good news. Outside of remotes posted on the website, I haven't bothered watching Conan in years after being an almost religious watched of Late Night. I catch highlights online, but I might actually tune in for a tight 30 minute show. Especially if the changes engage him more.

Also excited about the Late Night stuff. Hope they don't just cherry pick episodes, but instead put them up in some kind of order.
Love the whole announcement. Can’t wait to watch some old Late Night.

Do hope the travel episodes stay an hour long, same for Conan at Comic Con and when the show goes on location.
(05-03-2018, 08:52 PM)hypnotoad Wrote: Also excited about the Late Night stuff.  Hope they don't just cherry pick episodes, but instead put them up in some kind of order.

The announcement claims the "entire catalog" will become available, but I'll believe that when I see it.  That's 2,725 episodes.   No way can all the musical acts be retained.

I'm really happy for Conan.  Something he's made clear is important to him is access to his body of work.  He claims that back in 2003ish when he made the fateful decision to stay at NBC in the face of lucrative competing offers, not wanting to be cut off from his legacy material was as much a factor for him as the promise of The Tonight Show.  Considering he ended up losing that access anyway, it's a great victory for him to have reached whatever deal he's struck with NBC.
A very good new interview with Conan:

http://www.vulture.com/2018/06/conan-obr...ation.html
I totally missed that the Late Night episodes might be available. My god that's a great possibility. Off the top of my head I know exactly what I'm going to look forward to finding:

- Any and all staring contests
- Any and all Norm McDonald interviews
- Max rushing onstage and performing with Death From Above 1979
- Conan and Andy's Videogame Challenge
- Any and all In The Year 2000 bits
- Both times Slipknot was on the show
- Carl "Oldie" Olson bits

(06-04-2018, 01:40 PM)fatherdude Wrote: A very good new interview with Conan:

http://www.vulture.com/2018/06/conan-obr...ation.html

Yeah, that is pretty good. Love that they imbedded some of the old clips. I don’t remember the Zepplin thing but its glorious.
Loved the Hans Gruber analogy. Except he never fires the gun as he's falling. Fan Correction!

Dig that he's scaling it back. As with any talkshow now, you can pick and choose online. Watch the monologue, that comedy bit, don't give a rat's ass about that interview or musical performance. Plus, his remotes have been stellar.
(06-05-2018, 12:28 AM)scottieferguson Wrote: Loved the Hans Gruber analogy. Except he never fires the gun as he's falling. Fan Correction!

Also, he needs the detonators to blow the roof, not the safe. Disheartening mistakes, but otherwise, good interview.
Conan acknowledged that he was in Belfast last weekend shooting something.  There is a lot of stuff in Belfast, but the first thing that popped into my head is that it is some Game of Thrones segment for the Comic-Con shows.
Conan's fourth year of Comic-Con shows will run July 18-21.  I'm sure some of the guests will be announced when he returns from his three-week hiatus.  A cool poster can be seen here:

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/06/27/...-con-2018/
Casts of Breaking Bad, Aquaman, Predator and Glass all confirmed for the SDCC shows.
Only one I care about out of that line-up is the Breaking Bad crew. The cast of those other movies are higher profile than Conan's average these days, so that's cool.

I need a release date on the Late Night streams. Might be my most anticipated entertainment thing this year.
I’m pretty sure he always gets top notch casts at Comic-Con.

Nice, I love Sona.
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
Conan has produced about a hundred remotes (not counting the travelogue specials) throughout the TBS era.  I'd stack that content up against anything the other talk and variety shows have been doing for the past decade.