Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Conan on TBS
The viewers are not making out in that deal.
Oof. Just saying that’s a downgrade would be kind.

And I don’t mean that because of his Politics. I used to like Tim Allen.
"Every romantic comedy should just be called "Tryin' to Fuck" - Patton Oswalt
Conan is going on an 18-city tour in November and December. Guess that means he will only be taping for a few more weeks this year:

http://teamcoco.com/tour
(09-26-2018, 12:12 PM)fatherdude Wrote: Conan is going on an 18-city tour in November and December.   Guess that means he will only be taping for a few more weeks this year:

http://teamcoco.com/tour

He’s here in Denver during December but it’s in the middle of the week. Dunno if I’ll be able to make it but I still regret not going when he was here for his post-Tonight Show tour.
Apparently this is Conan's last week of taping until 2019.
Conan is launching a podcast next month:

https://www.earwolf.com/episode/introduc...w-podcast/
Damn.

Now that really sucks. And not just because of comedy legend LaBamba.

Oof.
I can't say I've done a very good job of keeping up with late night television over the last decade, but Conan will always have a special place in my heart. I really like Letterman, but I watched his best stuff after the fact. With Conan, I was a young kid and I just felt like he was funny in a way my elders just wouldn't understand.

Hopefully, the new format is interesting, but I'm sure it'll be odd not seeing the band with him. That was a cool tribute.
TBS is showing old episodes all week. Tonight is the 2nd ever episode with Tom Hanks. 

The beard was a good look.

Forgot how funny the S&P segment is. Tokyo Sandblaster is still funny.
Is that the one where Hanks get doused with real water by a digital whale breaching in the backdrop?  A nice continuation from Hanks getting fake snow dumped on him on Late Night and an asteroid on a string slamming into him on The Tonight Show.
(10-30-2018, 08:15 AM)fatherdude Wrote: Is that the one where Hanks get doused with real water by a digital whale breaching in the backdrop?  A nice continuation from Hanks getting fake snow dumped on him on Late Night and an asteroid on a string slamming into him on The Tonight Show.

Indeed it was.

Tonight is the episode where Will Ferrell shaves Conan’s beard.
I was hoping this extended hiatus would have the side of effect of Conan popping up as a guest on other talk shows, something he rarely has an opportunity to do.  He has a tour and a special to promote, after all.  

It would be great if he gave another Stern interview, and it would be cool for him to finally guest on The Tonight Show.  His upcoming archive site would not have been possible without some serious alliance forging with NBC, and I assume both parties have stake in it, so there's all the reason in the world for him to engage in some very public fun alongside his old network.
I do see that Triumph the Insult Comic Dog is a guest on Colbert for the 11/7 show. As far as I know, there is no upcoming Triumph special for Smigel to be promoting. Maybe Colbert just wants Triumph's reaction to the midterms.
After watching the old episodes I understand even more why he is rebooting the show.

The old episodes were heads and shoulders better than what he’s been doing the last few months, save for Comic Con and the Travel episodes.
One thing that strikes me is that early into the TBS show he was still getting a lot of A-listers.  That dropped off precipitously.  He also had the advantage of still having Brian Stack and Brian McCann around.
Triumph appeared on Colbert, but I maintain it belongs in the Conan thread.

Really good new interview with Conan on The Bill Simmons Podcast.  Conan starts at 24:16.

I had to look up the episode of the Mike Douglas Show with Muhammed Ali and Sly Stone that Conan was referring to.  Yeah, awkward is the word for it.
Great interview.  Conan's description of the Connecticut Yankees/Sox divide is so true.