Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Kung-Fu and Martial Arts Thread
Not exactly martial arts, but a Rogers Video was having a closing sale up here, buy 1 get 2 free and I managed to swipe, among other things

Oldboy
City of Violence
Election 1 and 2

for a freaking pittance. Pretty psyched about it, haven't seen the Elections before..
The Donnie/Wu Jing fight in SPL is amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6U5bvnxgCnk

I also really like this carpark fight scene in the Frankie Chan film
Burning Ambition.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6U5bvnxgCnk
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick Ripoll
View Post
My favorite kind of fight scenes are the crazy ones with inventive use of props. What movies (or specific scenes) would you recommend to me?

Forgive me if this movie has been beaten to death in this forum (and if it hasn't, it should be, because it's my fucking fav kung fu movie ever), but Legend of Drunken Master with Jackie Chan has some really fantastic prop-based action (I think it's technically Legend of Drunken Master II, but whatever).

EDIT: now that I think about it, maybe there's really not that much prop aciton in Drunken Master. Just consider this a subliminal effort to get you to watch that flick if you haven't yet then. It's really entertaining.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trejo
View Post
Not exactly martial arts, but a Rogers Video was having a closing sale up here, buy 1 get 2 free and I managed to swipe, among other things

Oldboy
City of Violence
Election 1 and 2

for a freaking pittance. Pretty psyched about it, haven't seen the Elections before..

Both Elections are great. It's hard to go wrong with Johnnie To.
Legend of Drunken Master is my favorite Jackie Chan movie. Awesome on so many levels!
I'll also add Ong Bak, Tony's club fight with that craxy tattooed guy is insane, they hit esch other with everything. including a fridge.
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeRolls
View Post
Legend of Drunken Master is my favorite Jackie Chan movie. Awesome on so many levels!

It's infinitely superior in its original form as Drunken Master II. If you can find it, watch that version.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg David
View Post
It's infinitely superior in its original form as Drunken Master II. If you can find it, watch that version.

What he said.

Those looking for quality use of props in a fight could do far worse than the above-mentioned CITY OF VIOLENCE (yo-yos, bicycles, and more) and Steve Wang's presently OOP DRIVE (pretty much anything Mark Dacascos gets his hands on).
Unfortunately, the version of Drive that was available in the US was heavily edited, and had a completely different score than the original, preferred version that was seen internationally. I have a region 2 PAL disc of it, but sadly, my all-region player died on me some time ago.
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeRolls
View Post
It's hard to go wrong with Johnnie To.

Stay away from his comedies. I enjoyed EIGHTH HAPPINESS as a guilty pleasure, but the rom-coms with Sammi Cheng and Andy Lau are just awful.
Interested in your thoughts on City of Violence, Trejo. I really liked it, but I've got a soft spot for Korean action cinema and whilst it's cheesy and odd at times City of Violence has got a hell of a lot of energy.

Election 1 and 2 aren't my favourite Johnnie To movies but together they're pretty fucking amazing.
Quote:

View Post

How can one obtain this version?
From a bootleg.

Good luck.
Actually, I ordered mine from a legitimate retailer who handled Hong Kong imports. Since HK never bothered with region coding, their DVD's were viewable in any country. I also got the Bruce Lee movies with their real titles that way.

I haven't looked lately, but I'm sure there are still HK DVD retailers out there on the web.
Watching Fist of Legend. Sometimes I forget just how good Jet Li is.
I just got that on Blu Ray. Definitely one of my top five favorite kung fu films of all time. Really looking forward to revisiting it once I get through my western phase.
Quote:

View Post
Actually, I ordered mine from a legitimate retailer who handled Hong Kong imports. Since HK never bothered with region coding, their DVD's were viewable in any country. I also got the Bruce Lee movies with their real titles that way.

I haven't looked lately, but I'm sure there are still HK DVD retailers out there on the web.

Ah cheers, I shall have to have a look, Jackie's my favourite!
I was just popping into this thread to ask about Drunken Master 2!

I was surprised at how well Mui's voice comes through in the dub despite it, you know, not actually being her.

I'm curious as to what importer to use to pick up the uncut version. My usual (and legal!) go to is Hkflix but they listed it as out of print. : /

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
I saw a Korean film called "Sunflower" (2006) recently
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0923714/
the imdb page for it is rubbish almost nothing there,no guides or synopis but it was a good film with a very bloody no holds barred fight at the end ..
great twist halfway through that i didnt see coming as well

basic plot.. badass gang leader gets out of prison and goes to live with mother and sister former pals are scared shitless that he wants to takeover again but he just wants to be left in peace,a really nasty bigbad(a councilman??) wants mothers shop/land and gets his former friends to help get it..eventually we find out just why his old friends were worried when they push him to far
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercury318
View Post
I was just popping into this thread to ask about Drunken Master 2!

I was surprised at how well Mui's voice comes through in the dub despite it, you know, not actually being her.

I'm curious as to what importer to use to pick up the uncut version. My usual (and legal!) go to is Hkflix but they listed it as out of print. : /

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

HKFlix - well, I guess technically some of their stuff isn't bootleg.

There's no legal way to get an uncut, English-subbed Cantonese, proper widescreen DRUNKEN MASTER II on anything other than VCD, VHS, or LaserDisc. Every release of the film on DVD is cut... except the long-OOP Mainland China release that was cropped to 1.85:1 and had a truly horrendous 5.1 remix. Ironic that a Chinese film about keeping priceless Chinese artifacts out of the hands of meddling foreigners with nefarious intentions has wound up unavailable in its original form thanks to meddling foreigners with nefarious intentions. Of course there's ways to get the film uncut, but none that can be mentioned 'round these parts.

But mainly I'm just posting a reminder that today brings forth the poorly promoted DVD/Blu-ray release of IP MAN in the United States. God knows the distributor isn't going out of its way to say much of anything about it.
Scott Tre presents an in-depth and informative Interview with Hong Kong cinema expert Bey Logan. He discusses everything from the Dragon Dynasty imprint to the films he has in development over at B&E productions:

http://www.scottsmindfield.com/2010/...tion-with.html

Is anyone going to see either...Legend Of The Fist: The Return Of Chen Zhen, this weekend  or True Legend the weekend of May 13th? I...Love, that Martial Arts films still get...Some play in US theaters, as opposed to only...DTV in the states!  Now, if only someone would bring over either...Space Battleship Yamato Resurrection or the live action Space Battleship Yamato!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg David View Post

How's the picture quality on Drunken Master 2? The only time I've seen that cut of the film was in college. On VHS projected onto a big screen. It looked like it sounds but I did indeed love the cut.

Legend Of The Fist: The Return Of Chen Zhen is...Awesome!  One of Donnie Yen's best!

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke fleed View Post

Legend Of The Fist: The Return Of Chen Zhen is...Awesome!  One of Donnie Yen's best!

There's a trailer for the Return of Chen Zhen on the Ip Man 2 DVD.  I've saved it in my Netflix queue, looks very promising.

Don't forget to catch Bangkok Knockout if you have the chance. Some solid fights in there, from the stunt team that brought us Ong Bak.

There's talk of a sequel to Tom Yum Goong with Tony teaming up with Jeeja Yanin, this could be epic.

Man, that would be awesome. I loved Tom Yum Goong, but found both of the Ong-Bak sequels kind of underwhelming. There’s something crazy and just plain vicious about Tom Yum Goong which makes it infinitely rewatchable for me.

I watched 14 Blades last week and found it to be kind of dull. I really like Donnie Yen, but I do think that he has to be working in a certain style to really come across dynamically. I think the only times I’ve liked Yen using exaggerated wire-work was in Once Upon A Time in China 2 and Iron Monkey, generally I prefer him grounded.

I’ve actually got to get around to watching Drunken Monkey, I’ve owned it on DVD for about a year now but I’ve never got around to watching it. I was really impressed by Jing-Wu and Donnie Yen’s fight in Killzone, so in theory I should be hyped for the film but I just can’t get myself into the headspace for it.

I will be going to see...Yuen Woo Ping's True Legend Monday May 16th  at the...EEEEEEEEEEE-Walk theater in times square!

I have seen a few martial art films, but i'm always looking to widen my scope, so recommendations are welcomed.

My favorites:

Street Fighter

Dragon Princess

Master Of The Flying Guillotine

Riki Oh:The Story Of Ricky

Five Fingers Of Death

The Protector

Ong-Bak

Kill Bill

ALot of favorites of mine mentioned
Shaolin Vs Lama
The Raid