Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your Top 10 Horror Films Of All Time!
No doubt, this topic has been done before, but it's a fun one. With all the changeover in recent years, curious what films show up from the new blood. (Hopefully, won't see a huge Dead Birds contingent)

"Girls always ask me why I buck so much.

I say what's wrong baby doll, with being a mutt?"

"We're not gonna make it, are we? People, I mean.

"It's in your nature to destroy yourselves."

"Yeah. Major drag, huh?."

""Son, there is something strange about you. You got something to do with death."

" It's an old story with me. I was born out of time."

Never ends, does it? Fucking lists!

Just kidding... my top ten in no particular order.

1: The Descent
2: The Cottage
3: Nosferatu (Murnau's... not Herzog's)
4: 28 Days Later
5: Rosemary's Baby
6: Shaun Of The Dead
7: The Thing (Carpenter's... not Hawks')
8: Prince Of Darkness
9: Session 9
10: Henry: Portrait Of A Serial Killer
My List (With Quick Rundown)

1. Night of the Living Dead-brilliant atmosphere and socio-political observations; best gut punch ending ever
2. The Shining-only movie, for me, to be completely hilarious and terrifying all at once
3. Phantasm-bizzaro dream state terror; Coscarelli what an auteur! Original is only one that matters to me
4. Deep Red-bridge film of different Argento periods works best
5. The Evil Dead-raw, spookier mach 1 has been a Halloween treat for twenty plus
6. The House By The Cemetery-A more conventional Fulci sure, yet somehow scarier than the rest; pay-off is creepy suspense
7. Alien-Legend
8. Kill, Baby, Kill--Bava out-Hammers Hammer
9. Of Unknown Origin-So back in love with this one; fun, creepy, and smarter than given credit for
*Tie*
10 The Exorcist-a tour de force artistic achievement; pushes all the right buttons
10 Island of Lost Souls-classic Universal at its most chilling

Honorable Mention: Halloween, Just Before Dawn, Carrie, Invasion of the Body Snatchers (78), The Howling, The Thing From Another World

""Son, there is something strange about you. You got something to do with death."

1. The Thing (1983)
2. Evil Dead 2
3. Shaun of the Dead
4. Halloween
5. Let the Right One In
5. The Mist
6. Slither
7. Dawn of the Dead
8. The Devil's Backbone
9. Braindead
10. 28 Days Later
The Black Cat
I Walked with a Zombie
Psycho
House of Usher
Night of the Living Dead
Ganja and Hess
Black Christmas
Nosferatu: Phantom der nacht
The Evil Dead
The Addiction
1) The Fly 86
2) The Hills Have Eyes 2006
3) The Descent
4) the grudge

those are my top 4.
Princess, that's the second time I've seen you mention The Grudge. May I ask what you find so excellent about it? Seriously, this isn't a bait post. I'm curious because I found it to be a pretty dull slog of a film.
What's your problem with Dead Birds? Genuinely curious, I love it.

I was a bit torn on whether to post in this topic as there are still a lot of good horror films I haven't seen. I also tend to get jumped on and torn into itty bitty pieces when I join this kind of discussion. But what the hell. No particular order, my top 10.

Dead Birds
Repo! The Genetic Opera
Drag me to Hell
The Brood
Ghostwatch
Tale of Two Sisters
Mum & Dad
Funny Games
Rosemary's Baby
The Ring

I realise now that Suspiria really ought to be on the list, but I don't want to take anything off. It can be number 11, but very much 'last but not least'.
Jesus Christ, you and your Dead Birds. Dead Birds may have been decent for a DTV release, but it doesn't belong anywhere near anyone's top ten of anything. Ghostwatch is pretty good, though.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mattioli
View Post
Princess, that's the second time I've seen you mention The Grudge. May I ask what you find so excellent about it? Seriously, this isn't a bait post. I'm curious because I found it to be a pretty dull slog of a film.

well, when i saw it in theaters, i'd never seen a j horror film before. It was just so strange, and different than any ghost movie i'd seen before. all the stringy hair, the jerky movements, the creepy sound the main ghost made. i coudlnt figure out what was going on, and the ghosts did not seem to operate by any rule. there were so many shots in that film that just utterly terrified me. the security camera shot of the ghost forming from the shaddows, lurching down the hall, vanishing, then popping up infront of the camera, with those giant white eyes. The end, where sarah cowers, while it lurches, slowly and horribly down the stairs making that croaking noise. i honestly had a hard time not shutting my eyes in the theater. i guess, to me, alot of that weird kind of imagry is basically right out of some nightmares i've had, especialyl the end, where sarah is unable to move with it coming slowly towards her. nothing has quite disturbed me like that one since.
List threads. So stupid, I cannot help myself.

The Beyond
Friday the 13th Part 3
The Exorcist
Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Don't Go in the House
The Sentinel
The Brood
Inside
The Shining
Poltergeist II
From Beyond the Grave
There's no doubt that The Grudge has some great jump scares, and there's images that really stick with you afterwards. The scene with the ghost under the covers? Yeah, that never fails to pop into my head when I'm trying to get to sleep. It's a shame that the film as a whole is so very average. No depth, no subtlety. Perfectly watchable though, I just wouldn't put it close to a top ten.

Trevor - Dead Birds isn't perfect, but I absolutely love the visuals. I have never seen any ghost or creature design that is that scary just to look at. I love the way that Dead Birds will pull a traditional jump scare, and then linger on it. It lingers just long enough to make you realise that however long you look, it's not going to stop being terrifying. That's what really impressed me.
The monster design is good (although I haven't seen it in a few years, so I'd imagine the CG doesn't hold up as well), but there's a superficiality to Dead Birds that keeps it from being any more than Civil War Creepypasta.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cleo
View Post
There's no doubt that The Grudge has some great jump scares, and there's images that really stick with you afterwards. The scene with the ghost under the covers? Yeah, that never fails to pop into my head when I'm trying to get to sleep. It's a shame that the film as a whole is so very average. No depth, no subtlety. Perfectly watchable though, I just wouldn't put it close to a top ten.

Trevor - Dead Birds isn't perfect, but I absolutely love the visuals. I have never seen any ghost or creature design that is that scary just to look at. I love the way that Dead Birds will pull a traditional jump scare, and then linger on it. It lingers just long enough to make you realise that however long you look, it's not going to stop being terrifying. That's what really impressed me.

yes, the ghost in the bed exemplifies what i am talking about with regard to why the film was so effective. there were no rules for the ghosts, it could kill you and leave your body, or suck you into the bed sheets, never to be seen again. there isnt depth or much plot really, but the scares alone disturbed me enough to put it in my top 10 horror films.

and its not all jump scares, the weird woman shuffling down the stairs at the end, is horrifying because of how slow and inevitable her attack is, and because you dont even know what it is youre fearing. is she going to bite sarah? or what? you have NO idea what the ghosts do or how they work. all you know its its....slowly....crawling... towards her.
I remember pimping Repo! the Genetic Opera a while back. Well, I learned to never ever judge a movie while drunk. Never again. Got too excited to see a musical with Gilles and Ogre from Skinny Puppy.

A second viewing confirmed that it's not a very good movie. Interesting, however.

What the fuck is it doing on someone's best list? Drag Me to Hell barely made my list, but Evil Dead 2 is just superior. It will need more viewings.
This is, I'm sure, going to seem pretty standard.

In no order:

1. The Shining
2. Rosemary's Baby
3. The Evil Dead
4. The Thing
5. Halloween (1978, of course)
6. Suspiria
7. Jaws
8. Videodrome
9. Alien
10. ...making a strong case for Drag Me to Hell being here, having seen it three times now...

And of course The Exorcist, Poltergeist, Gremlins (if you count that), Prince of Darkness, The Fly... kind of hard to narrow it down, but those ten above are my indispensable horror films...
Repo is the kind of film that most people will either love or hate. It just worked for me, hard to explain why. If this was a list of technically best made horror films, it wouldn't make the cut. It's in my top 10 because I enjoy it so damn much. The music is catchy, the visual style is super pretty, the casting is amazing and the plot is perfectly overdramatic. It just clicked for me.

My huge crush on Paris Hilton probably makes me the tiniest bit biased, come to think of it.
12. House of Wax (remake)
Without much thought . . .

1. Jaws
2. Alien
3. The Thing (Carpenter)
4. The Exorcist
5. Suspiria
6. The Sentinel
7. Texas Chainsaw Massacre
8. The Fog
9. The Re-Animator
10. Evil Dead 2
These are my favorite bossy horror films of all time:

Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark
Don't Go In The House
Don't Go Into The Woods
Don't Look In The Basement
Don't
Gimme A Break
Don't Torture a Duckling
Never Take Candy From Strangers
Wait Until Dark
Hush, Hush, Sweet Charlotte
In no order.

1. The Thing '82
2. The Shining
3. Maniac
4. Zombie
5. Halloween III
6. Day Of The Dead
7. The Evil Dead
8. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre '74
9. Videodrome
10. Jaws

Honorable mentions: The Fog, Frontier(s), Suspiria, Inferno, The Beyond, Gates Of Hell (City Of The Living Dead), Silent Night, Deadly Night, Friday The 13th: The Final Chapter.
1) Candyman - I still think this is a grossly underloved film. I think it's hurt by it's bonehead sequels, but the original is surprisingly cerebral and wonderfully gory.

2) The Thing - Great effects, great central performances, great film

3) The Wicker Man - Very weird, but there's something about the general quaintness of the film which makes that ending, even if it's been utterly spoiled, utterly harrowing.

4) The Gate - One of my favourite horror cheesefests as a kid

5) Ringu - Seeing this late on TV in 2000/2001 was perhaps the scariest thing I'd seen up until that point. Without all the bullshit posturing and glut of 'omg, wet haired children AIYEE!' films that followed it Ringu is still an amazingly well constructed film

6) Race With The Devil - One of the first films to really creep me out, caught it by accident when I was about 10 or 11 and the tone just weirded me out

7) Hellraiser - It has it's faults, but there's something enrapturing about this grim, almost fairy tale like, slice of family drama mixed with demons

8) Angel Heart - Still my favourite Alan Parker film and one of my favourite Rourke performances, before he became (largely) a one note tough guy

9) Nightmare on Elm Street 3 - The perfect mix of camp and frights. It gets the glorious excess of the films to follow but retains the decent structure of the original film and finds a nice little middle ground

10) Phenomena aka Creepers - DWARVES WITH LANCES MENACE JENNIFER CONNELLEY ON A BOAT!
With little thought, and in no particular order.

1) Suspiria
2) The Innocents
3) Blood And Black Lace
4) Possession
5) Pulse/Kairo
6) Creepshow
7) Halloween
8) Repulsion
9) The Shining
10) An American Werewolf In London
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spike Marshall
View Post
10) Phenomena aka Creepers - DWARVES WITH LANCES MENACE JENNIFER CONNELLEY ON A BOAT!

We also would have accepted CHIMP GOES BUGFUCK WITH STRAIGHT RAZOR!
Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil
View Post
These are my favorite bossy horror films of all time:

Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark
Don't Go In The House
Don't Go Into The Woods
Don't Look In The Basement
Don't
Gimme A Break
Don't Torture a Duckling
Never Take Candy From Strangers
Wait Until Dark
Hush, Hush, Sweet Charlotte

You forgot Don't Look Now. Scandal!
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ratty
View Post
You forgot Don't Look Now. Scandal!

Stop! Or my Mom Will Shoot!
1.Evil Dead 2. I had to be around 4 or 5 and saw this at a local video store and had to watch it. It wasnt till I was in High school did i get too
2.Dracula. Best of the Universal lot
3.Dawn of the Dead. King of the Zombie films
4.Freaks. Bringing the sideshow to your home.
5.Dead Alive. Lawnmower of Death
6.Lost Boys. A great 80's vampire movie
7.New York Ripper. A look back at a better New York
8. Re-animator. Who dosn't love a little head
9.Shawn of the Dead. A Nice bit of Fried gold
10. Jason goes to hell. First horror movie I saw in theaters
Whew. Seminal moment for me. Been reading CHUD for around four years, never bothered signing in to the forum, figured now was as good a time as any. Popping my cherry on this one; it seemed the most appropriate for a first time post. (It won't be my last...)

Here is my top 10, with some validation, in no particular order:

1. Near Dark*
2. The Hitcher (1986)*
3. John Carpenter's The Thing
4. An American Werewolf in London
5. Creepshow
6. Jaws**
7. Videodrome***
8. Black Christmas (not X-mas)
9. Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter****
10. Cemetery Man

A lot of these come from my, ahem, formative years. That's probably why there aren't a lot of newer films on the list.

*I love Eric Red's work, and these were the first two horror films where I can remember latching onto a write or creator's themes almost instantly and thinking I need to know more about this person's work.
**First experience being scared by a film, have been enjoying that experience ever since.
***People would argue about this as a horror film to some extent, but it's power to disturb and repulse is unmatched, even in Cronenberg's oeuvre.
****My first Jason movie, and my favorite one still. This isn't tainted by rose-tinted nostalgia, either; of all the Jason films this one's pacing, scares and characters still hold up. Between this and The Prowler Joseph Zito is a king of the down-and-dirty slasher.
Some of these are more 'horror-comedy' than horror

1. Halloween (1978)
2. Alien
3. Bride Of Frankenstein
4. Evil Dead II
5. Re-Animator
6. Psycho
7. The Exorcist
8. Invasion Of The Body Snatchers (1978)
9. Jaws
10. Bubba Ho-Tep

I've never understood the Internet's universal praise for "The Thing". I watched it with some friends and we were all disappointed. Couldn't really get into the characters or pick up the supposedly awesome 'paranoia' vibe that's supposed to make it so powerful and special. Just seemed like another unstoppable force of nature-pursues-people movie, and one that paled in comparison to "Alien" and "The Terminator".

Roger Ebert seems to be the only person in the world who reacted to it the same way that I did. I sure loved those special effects, though. So audaciously gross. Every time that the thing took another form or brutalized someone, I was laughing my ass off at the delightfully wild designs and gore.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Naisu Baddi
View Post
Some of these are more 'horror-comedy' than horror

1. Halloween (1978)
2. Alien
3. Bride Of Frankenstein
4. Evil Dead II
5. Re-Animator
6. Psycho
7. The Exorcist
8. Invasion Of The Body Snatchers (1978)
9. Jaws
10. Bubba Ho-Tep

I've never understood the Internet's universal praise for "The Thing". I watched it with some friends and we were all disappointed. Couldn't really get into the characters or pick up the supposedly awesome 'paranoia' vibe that's supposed to make it so powerful and special. Just seemed like another unstoppable force of nature-pursues-people movie, and one that paled in comparison to "Alien" and "The Terminator".

Roger Ebert seems to be the only person in the world who reacted to it the same way that I did. I sure loved those special effects, though. So audaciously gross. Every time that the thing took another form or brutalized someone, I was laughing my ass off at the delightfully wild designs and gore.

Ebert is a fucking retard by the way.
Easy, Fred Simmons.

In no particular order:

Suspiria- well-known enough around these parts to need no real explanation, but Argento's ability to conjure atmosphere from noises and lighting is still incredible.
Carnival of Souls- not necessarily the best-crafted of the trifecta of early 60s great ghost films (that would go to The Innocents, with The Haunting's rather dated dialogue dragging it down), but the most memorable.
Eyes Without a Face- underseen French piece that managed to shock me more than any modern gorefest, while being far more subtle (even lyrical,in places) than anything else I've seen cover the same ground. Far ahead of its time.
A Tale of Two Sisters- the best of the Asian new wave by quite a long way, it rises above the mass of Ringu-ripoffs with amazing visual work, a layered plot and a delicate balance of psychological and supernatural horror.
Drag Me To Hell- maybe a little too soon, but I'm already preferring it to the Evil Deads. Raimi's subtlest work, and his first delve into real horror since his debut.
The Call of Cthulhu- simple and low-budget, with effects that don't stand up to any kind of scrutiny, but there's a real atmosphere here that the vast majority of commercial horror never manages to attain.
Repulsion- Gave birth to the modern psychological thriller, but managed to be far more frightening than any work in the field since (with the obvious exception of Lynch, who's too cross-genre to be on this list).
Videodrome- slightly less well-crafted as a horror film than The Brood, but it's always stayed with me more out of Cronenburg's work, and I've yet to see a film that tops it on portraying media influence.
The Stone Tape- almost unheard of 70s British TV movie, but among the subtlest of ghost stories, with a perfect blend of technology and superstition.
Ringu- less striking now I've seen all its various inspirations, but it's the film that got me into horror in the first place, and the imagery is still second to none.

Near misses: The Brood, Ghostwatch, The Innocents, The Haunting, Evil Dead, Hellraiser, Candyman, Phantasm, Rosemary's Baby, Psycho, Halloween, Dawn of the Dead, Profundo Rosso, Three Faces of Fear, Les Diaboliques, M, Freaks, The Vanishing, Jacob's Ladder, Paperhouse, The Company of Wolves
My list, with a bit of cheating:

1) The Thing ('82)
2) The Shining
3) Jaws
4) Evil Dead trilogy
5) Alien/Aliens
6) Shaun of the Dead
7) Dawn of the Dead ('78)
8) Dead Alive
9) The Mist
10) 28 Days Later

Almost(and less obvious):

Hellraiser/Hellraiser II
Silent Hill
(not to be confused with a good movie, but when it's effective it's VERY effective, and it creeps me the hell out. When it's not, it's dumber than shit and/or boring. Like a video game.)
Let the Right One In
Event Horizon (yes, I'm serious. Paul WS Anderson's only saving grace. The first 2/3 of this flick freaks me out more than probably any other movie and I can't explain why. Then it goes to shit)
The Devil's Backbone
Day of the Dead
(I consider this a relatively shitty movie, frankly, other than the amazing gore. But... there's something about that bunker. It's easily the creepiest of Romero's Dead series, and used to give me AWESOME nightmares)
Christine (underrated Carpenter)
High Tension (the twist is garbage, but prior to that this totally lived up to it's name)
Lost Highway (Maybe not horror technically, but the sense of unease in this is amazing.)
in no order here

1. Jaws
2. The Thing (82)
3. Food of the Gods
4. The Mist
5. The Blob (85 i think it was)
6. Tremors
7. Nightmare on Elm St. pt 3 Dream Warriors
8. The Burning
9. Shaun of the Dead
10. Orca
Here are my favorite horror movies with Retards in them. Retard horror is scariest because that shit could really happen:

1. The Texas Chain Saw Massacre
2. The Unseen
3. Don't Look In the Basement
4. Twisted Nerve
5. Of Mice and Men
6. Friday the 13th 3D
7. The Other Sister's Other Sister
8. The Hills Have Eyes (remake)
9. Night Of The Living Dead (Barbara turns retard)
10. Titicut Follies