Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your Top 10 Horror Films Of All Time!
Well, I'm always up for making another list!

1. The Thing
2. The Shining
3. Suspiria
4. Carnival of Souls (1962)
5. The Haunting (1963)
6. Psycho (1960)
7. Halloween (1978)
8. An American Werewolf in London
9. Dawn of the Dead (1978)
10. The Exorcist
Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil
View Post
Here are my favorite horror movies with Retards in them. Retard horror is scariest because that shit could really happen:

1. The Texas Chain Saw Massacre
2. The Unseen
3. Don't Look In the Basement
4. Twisted Nerve
5. Of Mice and Men
6. Friday the 13th 3D
7. The Other Sister's Other Sister
8. The Hills Have Eyes (remake)
9. Night Of The Living Dead (Barbara turns retard)
10. Titicut Follies

The dark horse candidate

Was gonna start a similar thread but I'lll just bump this one.

1.The Fly
2.The Entity
3.Dawn of the Dead
4.The Fog
5.Poltergeist
6.The Thing
7.An American Werewolf in London
8.Jaws
9.Halloween
10.Race With the Devil
Honorable Mentions:Cat People (1982), The Hunger, Alien, The Sender, Carrie, Dead and Buried.
AJust double checking to make sure I haven't posted in here...

Nope.

Well here it goes, and as always this is in no particular order.

Tremors - All in good fun with a ton of excellent setup and suspense. It gave me nightmares that made me want to sleep on the second floor of my house when my Dad introduced it to me the moment it came out on home video.

Poltergeist - Best haunted house movie that isn't afraid of showing the ghosts. Most movies are so afraid to show the monster, but this has so many that the unknown is when will it stop.

The Evil Dead - Sheer manic fever dream terror. I always loved the fact that this movie has college students that are a little more realistic. They don't summon the deadites by stupidly reading passages out of some book, it is on a tape recorder which is far less of a leap in logic because it is clear that none of them would be versed in ancient dead languages.

The Birds - Hands down still the best animals run amok movie ever made. This movie captures how being in the middle of an apocalyptic event would really feel. I love that Hitchcock was so confident of his directing abilities that he chose to include no musical score what so ever. Proof that you don't need the score to tell the audience how to feel.

The Thing (1982) - A brilliant combo of the original 1950s The Thing and Invasion of the Body Snatchers. It surpasses both in my opinion.

Candyman - Set and shot in the real ghetto, it is super scary and as events progress makes the viewer question what is real. I dare anyone to say Candyman into the mirror five time after watching this film alone at night.

An American Werewolf in London - Definitive proof that comedy and Horror could mix well and true to the original Wolfman in that the story is told through the werewolf's point of view. Great humor and classic thrilling horror as proof from the London Underground scene and transformation scene.

The Haunting (1963) - While the book on which it is based is a little less ambiguous on if the ghost of Hugh Crain really is causing the havoc this movie took the idea in to totally ambiguity. Awesomely one of the main character a Lesbian and she lives. The rest of the movie is a the exact opposite of Poltergeist. We never see the ghost, it is all about the building terror of Julie Harris's character. And it the first Haunted house film to ever do the bulging walls and doors thing, which is now almost a meme.

Dawn of the Dead (1978) - George Romero proved he can do balls out violent horror in the opening of this film, and then he decided to fuck off to a mall and delve into the far more interesting satire, comment upon consumer culture, and human nature. What's more scary than monsters? Us.

Alien - This is such a tight and intense thriller, there is not a story beat out of place here and really the first Sci-fi film to realize how much more unknown is in the universe than on earth. What can be a more claustrophobic environment than a huge ship that there is no escaping from?

Thank you for JAWS.

It begins and ends with JAWS.

Perfect movie.

10. What Lies Beneath

9. The Bride of Frankenstein

8. The Fog

7. Alien

6. Jaws

5. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre

4. The Evil Dead

3. The Thing

2. Halloween

1. The Shining

In no particular order (and more than 10)...

EVIL DEAD franchise

THE SHINING

AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON

NIGHTBREED

RETURN OF THE LIVING DEAD

THE THING

ALIEN

DEAD ALIVE

PHANTASM franchise
RE-ANIMATOR
THE HOWLING 1 & 3

GREMLINS 1 & 2
THE MIST

THE FLY remake

THE BLOB remake

SHAUN OF THE DEAD

THE GATE

JAWS

CABIN IN THE WOODS

CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON

DON'T BE AFRAID OF THE DARK

BRAM STOKER'S DRACULA

TREMORS

PAN'S LABYRINTH

NIGHT OF THE WEREWOLF (Naschi)
HORROR OF DRACULA (Lee)

FEAST

THE CRITTERS franchise

DAGON

And...

THE LEGEND OF BOGGY CREEK

A1. Prophecy

One of the first movies I remember seeing. Richard Dysart pulled from under the fence and the monster crossing the lake are burned into my brain.

2. Night/Dawn/Day of the Dead

They count as one.

3. Cujo

Tell me Danny Pintauro wasn't scared shitless. Terrifying movie.

4. The Thing/The Fly/The Blob

The 80's remake trifecta. True go-to picks.

5. CHUD

Because I like self-reference. Saw this one at the drive-in.

6. Deadly Eyes

Giant rat movie. Scatman Crothers is in it. There is a scene with a toddler's toppled high-chair surrounded by bloody paw prints that fucked me up pretty good.

7. Day of the Triffids

Not really horror, but it was another one viewed (too) early, and the apocalyptic nature of the story got to me.

8. The Legend of Hell House

A strange horror/scifi hybrid after-the-fact. I love Pamela Franklin.

9. Leviathan/Deep Star 6

Because I'm getting away with it. Saw Deep Star in the theater twice.

10. Night of the Creeps

I felt that it incorporated everything that was cool about horror movies into a single film.

I don't really have the presence of mind right now to do this but just wanted to say I'm enjoying everyone's lists.

Mine's a bit boring. In no particular order, except #1:

01. John Carpenter's THE THING - It's the combination of a number of elements that I enjoy in fiction that makes it so special to me. It's a siege story with strong elements of Cold War paranoia, with heavy doses of Lovecraftian imagery and best practical effects known to man. And it's got my favourite ending ever.

02. George A. Romero's DAWN OF THE DEAD

03. George A. Romero's DAY OF THE DEAD - DAWN's the one that most shaped my imagination as a teen, but DAY is the one I actually prefer. It's petrifyingly bleak, but Joe Pilato's mustache-twirling turn kinda lightens things up. Also love the climax, which serves as both an awesome zombie rampage and a perfect moment of comeuppance for the asshole military goons.

04. Dario Argento's L'UCCELLO DALLE PIUME DI CRISTALLO, aka BIRD WITH THE CRYSTAL PLUMAGE - My fave Argento. I remember seeing it first as teen. Having just been blindsided by DEEP RED's resolution, I actually took detailed notes while watching BIRD, resolved to "beat the film" and guess whodunit. I failed miserably, and loved it. It works as a test run for the aforementioned DEEP RED, but I find it to be more rewarding, even if not really as unsettling.

05. Frank Darabont's THE MIST - Mostly for the same reasons as THE THING, plus the highly affecting father/son dynamic, and the digs at religious nutjobs. That one shot of the giant monster crossing the street still takes my breath away.

06. Sam Raimi's THE EVIL DEAD - Wins the day with its rawer, low-fi feel.

07. John Carpenter's IN THE MOUTH OF MADNESS - With all its flaws, it's still magnificent, probably the closest anybody ever went to transposing the Lovecraft feel to a modern setting. As a plus, there used to be this geezer - a carpenter, no less! - that used to cycle around my old neighborhood when I was a teen. The creepy fucker was a dead ringer for the bycicle dude that Sam Neill crosses on his way to Hobb's End.

08. Steven Spielbergh's JAWS - Nothing of value to add. It's perfect.

09. Shinya Tsukamoto's TETSUO THE IRON MAN - Counts as horror, yes? An over the top, mindblowing, feverish nightmare of a film. Also, completely hilarious. I still have trouble believing it exists. Tsukamoto, of course, has delivered many other pearls - TOKYO FIST, NIGHTMARE DETECTIVE I & II and KOTOKO could've just as easily been in this place.

10. David Cronenberg's VIDEODROME - Just because I'm not sure DEAD RINGERS qualifies in the genre.  It is, anyway, Cronenberg's most fascinating film, still as relevant as ever.

Honorable mentions:

PHANTASM

RE-ANIMATOR

ALIEN (which really should be on the list)

L'ALDILA'

ALL THE COLOUR OF THE DARK

THE LEGEND OF HELL HOUSE

BLACK SWAN (on the outskirts of the genre, it still is the only film to give me nightmares in a long, long time)

THE LAST MAN ON EARTH

DON'T LOOK NOW

Recent stuff that will probably qualify after a few rewatches: KILL LIST, MARTHA MARCY MAY MARLENE, CABIN IN THE WOODS, PARANORMAN, KOTOKO...

Good lookin' out, Doyle, with Dario Argento's BIRD WITH THE CRYSTAL PLUMAGE. Like you, i love it almost as much as DEEP RED.

"Did Cledus call you a legend?!"  "Uh-huh."

"The engines have stopped now. We all know we are going down. Last call for alcohol

Sure wish I could have another round"
AMy non pretentious, safe list:

Dawn of the Dead '78
The Thing
Halloween
Videodrome
Suspiria
Texas Chainsaw Massacre
The Exorcist
Living Dead at the Manchester Morgue
The Shining
Alien

1. The Shining

2. Jaws

3. The Silence of the Lambs

4. Alien

5. The Exorcist

6. Poltergeist

7. The Thing - good one

8. Let the Right One In

9. Orphan

10. The Brood

11. In the Mouth of Madness

12. Candyman

13. Insidious

14. Hellraiser

15. The Fly

16. Invasion of the Body Snatchers 78

17. The Others

18. The Blob 88

19. Carrie

20. We Need to Talk About Kevin

Apparently, I don't love zombies or slasher films as much as I thought I did.

Digging the ORPHAN love, but really?! on INSIDIOUS.

"The engines have stopped now. We all know we are going down. Last call for alcohol

AYeah. I think it's fucking great.

1. Texas Chainsaw Massacre (74)

2. The Shining (80)

3. The Thing (82)

4. Dawn of the Dead (78)

5. Cat People (42)

6. Alien

7. The Fly (86)

8. Last House on the Left (72)

9. Suspiria

10. An American Werewolf in London

which is kinda '70s-'80s centric (and America-centric). Favorites by decade:

1920s - Nosferatu

1930s - Island of Lost Souls

1940s - Cat People

1950s - Gojira

1960s - Eyes Without a Face

1970s - Chainsaw

1980s - The Shining

1990s - Dead Alive/Braindead

2000s - Let the Right One In

2010s - The Woman

This is super irritating, but it's actually continued to bother me that I left Silence of the Lambs off my list. So I'm going back to change it. Can you just all of a sudden get OCD?

I debated about putting it on my list, but wanted to avoid the age-old internet "it's a horror movie/it's not a horror movie" kerfuffle.

My brave stance is I have days when I think it is and days when I think it isn't (and I've been known to defend both angles with equal vigor). Covered my ass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Elvis View Post

My List (With Quick Rundown)

1. Night of the Living Dead-brilliant atmosphere and socio-political observations; best gut punch ending ever
2. The Shining-only movie, for me, to be completely hilarious and terrifying all at once
3. Phantasm-bizzaro dream state terror; Coscarelli what an auteur! Original is only one that matters to me
4. Deep Red-bridge film of different Argento periods works best
5. The Evil Dead-raw, spookier mach 1 has been a Halloween treat for twenty plus
6. The House By The Cemetery-A more conventional Fulci sure, yet somehow scarier than the rest; pay-off is creepy suspense
7. Alien-Legend
8. Kill, Baby, Kill--Bava out-Hammers Hammer
9. Of Unknown Origin-So back in love with this one; fun, creepy, and smarter than given credit for
*Tie*
10 The Exorcist-a tour de force artistic achievement; pushes all the right buttons
10 Island of Lost Souls-classic Universal at its most chilling

Honorable Mention: Halloween, Just Before Dawn, Carrie, Invasion of the Body Snatchers (78), The Howling, The Thing From Another World

It's October - everybody have at it!

A few more I love: THE ENTITY, DEADLY EYES, and FREAKS

AI somehow left off Gordon's From Beyond and Fulci's The Beyond from my list....

How, you may ask? The answer's beyond me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malmordo View Post

The Black Cat
I Walked with a Zombie
Psycho
House of Usher
Night of the Living Dead
Ganja and Hess
Black Christmas
Nosferatu: Phantom der nacht
The Evil Dead
The Addiction

This is what I listed back in 2009. I saw THE BLACK CAT (1934) again recently, and though I still dig its art-deco visuals, its sick, morally decayed atmosphere and the truly awesome performances (and chemistry) of Karloff and Lugosi, I was a bit let down by the obtrusive music score and thinly plotted third act. I would probably substitute THE BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN or even DRACULA in its place.

THE ADDICTION is great but prententious. I would movie this off the list and substitute a classic '70s AIP film -- either THE ABOMINABLE DR. PHIBES or COUNT YORGA, VAMPIRE.

HALLOWEEN BUMP!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fat Elvis View Post

My List (With Quick Rundown)

1. Night of the Living Dead-brilliant atmosphere and socio-political observations; best gut punch ending ever
2. The Shining-only movie, for me, to be completely hilarious and terrifying all at once
3. Phantasm-bizzaro dream state terror; Coscarelli what an auteur! Original is only one that matters to me
4. Deep Red-bridge film of different Argento periods works best
5. The Evil Dead-raw, spookier mach 1 has been a Halloween treat for twenty plus
6. The House By The Cemetery-A more conventional Fulci sure, yet somehow scarier than the rest; pay-off is creepy suspense
7. Alien-Legend
8. Kill, Baby, Kill--Bava out-Hammers Hammer
9. Of Unknown Origin-So back in love with this one; fun, creepy, and smarter than given credit for
*Tie*
10 The Exorcist-a tour de force artistic achievement; pushes all the right buttons
10 Island of Lost Souls-classic Universal at its most chilling

Honorable Mention: Halloween, Just Before Dawn, Carrie, Invasion of the Body Snatchers (78), The Howling, The Thing From Another World

Deluxe Edition:

1.  NOTLD/ THE SHINING

2.  PHANTASM

3. HALLOWEEN

4. KILL, BABY, KILL

5. SLUMBER PARTY MASSACRE

6. THE HOWLING

7.  INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS ('78)

8. TEXAS CHAIN SAW MASSACRE

9. CARRIE

10.  SEE NO EVIL (1971)

11. AN AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON

12. ALIEN

13. REPULSION

14. DRAG ME TO HELL

15. THE DESCENT

16. EQUINOX

17. RETURN OF THE LIVING DEAD

18. FRIGHT NIGHT

19. SUSPIRIA

20. HALLOWEEN III

21. NEAR DARK

22. TARGETS

23. FADE TO BLACK

24.  FROM BEYOND

25. POLTERGEIST

26. RABID

27. THE THING FROM ANOTHER WORLD

28.  PATRICK

29. MESSIAH OF EVIL

30. I SAW WHAT YOU DID

31. BLUE SUNSHINE

32.  BEYOND THE BLACK RAINBOW

33.  THE OMEN

34.  DRESSED TO KILL

35.  RACE WITH THE DEVIL