Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS Post-Release
Our screening got off to a rocky start with the credits and first 2 minutes of the opening scene in stark silence thanks to the lack of soundtrack. Thankfully they rewound it with an apology and we were on our merry way.

I'm rather clumsy when it comes to summarizing my feelings on a film freshly seen, and 4 a.m. doesn't help much. It was an amazing film and lived up to the ink spilled in it's favor. I agree with the review that Landa really is the driving force of the story- he seems to only let the two parties so he'll have a means to escape from the Nazi's inevitable defeat. Waltz deserves all the accolades coming his way, just an endlessly unnerving and fascinating character. I'm intrigued that by the end he's quick to dismiss his nickname when he relishes it during the opening. Just trying to save face for what's to come I suppose.

I hope this does business so Tarantino can be afforded the freedom that permits him to make these, after the experiment of Death Proof this felt more weighty then anything else he's done this decade. And he didn't even need two films to do it.
I enjoyed this strange, indulgent movie very much.

The image of Shosanna's hazy, laughing face among the flames is utterly haunting and cathartic and is one of those spine-tingling moments that you know will sit in your cinematic memory forever.
Probably the most striking image I've seen this year.
Quite an acerbic review from Peter Bradshaw who I usually quite like and agree with. Let me guess, he's missing the point?
I'm really happy to see more good word coming in about this movie, I'm going to see it again tomorrow night and I'll be taking people with me. Can't wait to share the ingloury with others.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erik Wacker
View Post
It went over like gangbusters with the packed crowd. Especially anything with Stiglitz. Schweiger plays it so well.

Loved Schweiger, especially in the tavern scene (no surprise since everyone shone in that scene). He looked like a pitbull barely being held on by a leash, the self-control it took for him not to stab Hellstrom in the skull every time he touched him... hilarious.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sidzed2
View Post
I enjoyed this strange, indulgent movie very much.

The image of Shosanna's hazy, laughing face among the flames is utterly haunting and cathartic and is one of those spine-tingling moments that you know will sit in your cinematic memory forever.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben Thomas
View Post
Probably the most striking image I've seen this year.

That shot was iconic, but the whole scene leading up to that was amazing as well. I particularly loved the sudden transition from Zoller's face to Shosanna's, such a powerful presence and her every inflection carried real anger, real weight. I haven't seen that many Nazis crap their pants in unison since Belloq opened the ark of the covenant.
http://www.people.com/people/article...299404,00.html

now i have not seen inglorious bastards, because i think it looks a little silly. not saying that to slam the film, i am pointing it out to point out how silly brad pitts quote looks in that context. the tom cruise film was taught and tense, not the best movie ever, but i enjoyed it for what it was and liked that it managed to make the assassination plot interesting dispite knowing how it all ended up.
Kate, people here don't like you, but Devin has asked them to behave. I think people are trying to. If you want to have a discussion about a movie you haven't seen, please put said comments in the pre-release thread.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andre Dellamorte
View Post
Kate, people here don't like you, but Devin has asked them to behave. I think people are trying to. If you want to have a discussion about a movie you haven't seen, please put said comments in the pre-release thread.

oh ok, sure. was just putting up a link to an article that quotes brad pitt on the subject of another ww2 film. i'll go post it in pre release though thanks. if youre a mod can you delete my post in the post release thread?
Quote:

Originally Posted by Princess Kate
View Post
http://www.people.com/people/article...299404,00.html

now i have not seen inglorious bastards, because i think it looks a little silly. not saying that to slam the film, i am pointing it out to point out how silly brad pitts quote looks in that context. the tom cruise film was taught and tense, not the best movie ever, but i enjoyed it for what it was and liked that it managed to make the assassination plot interesting dispite knowing how it all ended up.

Well, for all the silliness you see in the film, Inglourious Basterds is probably the most taut and tense movie of the year.

As an aside: Mr. Beaks over at AICN has a fantastic little interview with Christoph Waltz.
I don't get the return to form stuff, but I love everything he's done. Perhaps this is the most mainstream thing he's done in a while, but Kill Bill was about just as mainstream. I want a spin-off movie with Michael Bacall and Samm Levine called The Littlest Basterds, since they apparently fell asleep and missed Chapter five.
I would like to see a slasher film in which Till Schweiger wakes up in a Nazi morgue and proceeds to kill his way through the remaining Nazi forces ala The Shape.
Just saw an AM showing of this. Loved it. The audience I saw it with loved it to, and there were a surprising number of people in the theater for an 11am showing.

Waltz needs an Oscar for what he's done. He deserves it completely. Watching his character was like watching a spider wearing a human's skin. He was simultaneously compelling and repugnant.

I also dug the narration from Samuel L Jackson.
Fucking fantastic. Waltz was too good. Pitt was hilarious and really good.
Took a long-ass lunch and went and saw it at 1. Great, great stuff, and Pitt's reveal of his Italian accent is one of the best laughs I've heard from a crowd in quite awhile.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Louris
View Post
Took a long-ass lunch and went and saw it at 1. Great, great stuff, and Pitt's reveal of his Italian accent is one of the best laughs I've heard from a crowd in quite awhile.

That was 'Mickey the Pikey'-levels of awesome.

Pitt's character was great every time he opened his mouth. Half his dialog was badass, the other half was hilarious.
Just came back from watching this and what an amazing movie it was. If this movie doesn't get the Oscar for cinematography, then the Academy is irrelevant. One thing Tarantino doesn't get enough credit for is his chops as an action director. The guy knows where to put the camera and establish geometry like few today can. Also, I like how it was shot in a very classical way. No shaky cam, lots of static shots, and long takes. That last line is very appropriate. Easily Pulp Fiction's equal.
Tarantino delivers yet again. My theater ate the movie up, especially everything with Brad Pitt.

I'm going to need another viewing to digest it all but I agree with what everyone is saying about the performances. I felt it got a little slow in the middle but that's about the extent of the complaints from me.
Quote:

Originally Posted by dynamotv
View Post
If this movie doesn't get the Oscar for cinematography, then the Academy is irrelevant.

How about I save you a few months: the Academy is irrelevant.
Is twice in one day too much? Because I just got home and am considering another trip to the theater this evening . . .

What a film.

That's all I'll say right now, I guess.
Is that Harvey Keitel's voice as the superior who makes the deal with Col. Landa and speaks to Aldo afterwards? It sounded a helluva lot like him.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Raised 305
View Post
Is that Harvey Keitel's voice as the superior who makes the deal with Col. Landa and speaks to Aldo afterwards? It sounded a helluva lot like him.

Yep
Great movie. One of Tarantino's best. Entertainingly disturbing. Ludicrously hilarious. Could have used some Ramones and stuff on the soundtrack
Well I said this back when the script leaked and everyone was bitching.

Taratino is back.

This movie rocked and was a super crowd pleaser. Half the time people were laughing. The other half they were gripping their arm rests. QT has tension/release down to an art form.

I actually think the script was a bit better. There were several scenes cut or changed that I feel made the movie worse off. Like when Shosanna is done speaking with Landa...in the script it's revealed she pissed her pants...in the movie she simply lets out a long, agonized sigh. And at the end, she's shot, and then has to use her last ounces of strength to pull the reel-change lever...it was much more dramatic and drawn out in the script.

Otherwise, just great, great, great.
I saw it again and loved it even more. I can't say enough good things about it. It already surpassed Moon as my favorite movie of the year.

Watching it the second time, it reminded me a lot of Verhoeven's Black Book, just a whole lot better. That might be a fairly obvious comparison but even below the surface similarities I think the two films are a lot alike tonally and stylistically. Or I could be completely misremembering Black Book, since I haven't seen it since it came out.
Loved the film. Seeing it again tomorrow.

Good to see that Tarantino continues his streak of fetishing women's feet on film.
Amazing. I went to an 11:45 am showing and the theater was probably 80% full. Hopefully this is a big winner for TWC as they need it to be, and as film fans it's hard to not want QT making movies with the freedom they grant him.

Like many others I wanted to turn around and watch the movie again. I got out and started texting friends that they had to see it. I'd heard complaints that QT dragged some scenes out too long, I'd argue that he matured to the point that he understood how long to effectively make the scenes. Can people actually complain that something like the dairy farm scene are dragged out too long? That scene is pretty well perfect.
I don't know about masterpiece, but I was certainly darn entertained. The love of cinema just permeates the movie.

I'd also say that I think calling it merely Hitchcockian in parts is underselling it. Tarantino certainly is not shy in his reference. He explains the nitrate film stock's flammable properties with a scene from Hitchcock's Sabotage. He namedrops David Selznik who brought Hitchcock to Hollywood. There are certainly scenes of suspense, including ticking bombs. The major females are blondes. Some of that may be coincidence, Hitchcock directed a mountain climbing movie as well, but I'm betting a lot was conscious choice. Basterds is definitely the best thriller of the year with real tension.
Solid film. Glad to see QT back
What I find interesting about the movie is that the movie playing at the premier is like the Nazi Germany version of Inglorious Basterds in terms of bloodthirst. We're rooting for the Basterds to cut a swath through Nazi occupied France while they are rooting for a sniper to take out 300 soldiers. Any thematic correlation between what the Nazis are watching and what we're watching?

Also, is this the best August for movies ever? It sure feels that way.
Masterpieces are films that have stood the test of time, this has stood the test of twenty-some hours. It's really good. Possibly great. Maybe even perfect. But, guys... Grammar police is pulling masterpiece over on this one.
This ruled.
To paraphrase:

Aldo: ....do you know what he does?

Nazi: He kills Germans with a club.

Aldo: no, he beats your goddamn brains out with a baseball bat!

QT has taken a bat to my head with this movie. I mean that as a compliment. I feel like he hit me pretty hard and said "This is what fuckin movies are supposed to do!"

I was enthralled, amused and shocked alll at once by this film. Bravo.
Is it fair to call this a Holocaust Revision movie?
OK, THAT was probably the most fun that I've had in a theater in years. I want to see it again, like NOW.

I need to dwell on it a bit, but I suspect that it has replaced 'Jackie Brown' as my favorite QT movie.
Quote:

Originally Posted by cfMC
View Post
Is it fair to call this a Holocaust Revision movie?

No.