Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Big Bang Theory is..."teh suck"?

I don't watch The Big Bang Theory but saw in the New Posts lists that Sifl and Olly were mentioned.  That is an example of some fine entertainment.  Sorely missed.

I think its success is accounted for by the fact that an average person can feel 'smart' if he/she 'gets' the 'nerdy' wit in the dialogue.

The problem is, for truly intelligent people, what masquerades as wit on the show is just tired old repartee, among people who TRY to sound smart.

Better Off Ted had much better wit than this - that show was full of zingers that would have gone right over the heads of BBT's demographic niche.

Chester agrees.

AAs far as CBS sitcoms go, it's one of the better ones.

Although I sympathize with those that say the show is faux-nerdy.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iyotero View Post

I think its success is accounted for by the fact that an average person can feel 'smart' if he/she 'gets' the 'nerdy' wit in the dialogue.

The problem is, for truly intelligent people, what masquerades as wit on the show is just tired old repartee, among people who TRY to sound smart.

Better Off Ted had much better wit than this - that show was full of zingers that would have gone right over the heads of BBT's demographic niche.

This.  Over the years I've had so many people say variations of "But you should LOVE that show!  It's nerd humour!".  To which I've replied that it's more along the lines of jokes ABOUT nerds, as written by jocks.  Jokes about nerdy/geeky things isn't nerd humour - it's just the usual sitcom stereotyping.  To counter, I'd usually say to them that a much better example of real "nerd humour" is Community.  THAT'S what all the nerds watch.  That generally gets a uniform "What's that?".

AI don't get the hatred this show gets. It's not even remotely good by any means, but the cast is gifted and they play off each other quite well. The writing is par for the course as far as these types of show go. Which means it is pretty dumb. It's nowhere near as awful as two and a half men or other shows of its irk.

It passes the time, is what I'm saying.
A[quote name="andrevellozo" url="/community/t/118750/big-bang-theory-is-teh-suck/50#post_3678890"]I don't get the hatred this show gets. It's not even remotely good by any means, but the cast is gifted and they play off each other quite well. The writing is par for the course as far as these types of show go. Which means it is pretty dumb. It's nowhere near as awful as two and a half men or other shows of its irk.

It passes the time, is what I'm saying.[/quote]
But this shitty show keeps on getting critical praise and taking the spots for awards from far superior comedies. That's part of the reason for the hate. Ratings are another but I suspect that's because the elderly that watch CBS and have a Nielson Box just keep it on the same statin.

And it is just as bad as Two and a Half Men, Mike and Molly, and all the shitty CBS comedies. It's like the writers of these shows are stuck in the 70/80's of shitty sitcoms. Seinfeld never happened for them.

Get ready for prequel shit!

Quote:

I's official: CBS is moving forward with its Big Bang Theory prequel.

The network has handed out a straight-to-series order for the 2017-18 broadcast season for Young Sheldon, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.

The news comes as the comedy created by Chuck Lorre and Steve Molaro had been casting ahead of production on the pilot this month. This is the first time that the network and producers Warner Bros. Television have confirmed the project. An episode count has not yet been determined.

'Big Bang Theory' Prequel Casts Young Sheldon and His Mother
Young Sheldon recently cast its star, setting Big Little Lies actor Iain Armitage as the young version of Jim Parsons' Sheldon Cooper, with Zoe Perry taking on the role of his mother, Mary Cooper, that was originally played by the actress' mother, Laurie Metcalfe.

In picking up the comedy to series, CBS has also released Young Sheldon's formal logline, filled out its cast and set the pilot director. The project will revolve around a 9-year-old Sheldon Cooper (Armitage) as he lives with his family in East Texas and goes to high school. The concept was originally described as Malcolm in the Middle with a young Sheldon. Lance Barber, Raegan Revord and Montana Jordan have also joined the cast. Details on their roles are being kept under wraps, though sources tell THR that Revord will play a young version of Sheldon's twin sister Missy; Barber will play George, Sheldon and Missy's father and Mary's husband; and Jordan will play George Jr., Sheldon's older brother.

The depths of awfulness of Chuck Lorre are endless...no hope everyone..no hope...

And the masses will eat it up because BBT is just SO funny!

*vomits*

ADonald Trump is the President and Big Bang Theory is getting a spinoff.

We are living through God's judgement upon mankind.
Quote:

Originally Posted by commodorejohn View Post

Donald Trump is the President and Big Bang Theory is getting a spinoff.

We are living through God's judgement upon mankind.

That's 2 of the 4 Pop culture Horsemen of the Apocalypse...my bet for the remaining ones is a new Seth McFarlane animated series on FOX and OJ Simpson getting a reality show.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/freedom-1828529231

We are free!!!!

I mean, if we make it to 2019!
"Dictatorships foster oppression, dictatorships foster servitude, dictatorships foster cruelty; more abominable is the fact that they foster idiocy."

Xbox Live Gamer Tag: Strider Ryoken / PSN: Kenryo81 /Steam: Ryoken81
Fantastic news. Good fucking riddance.
Originally Posted by ImmortanNick 

Saw Batman v Superman.
Now I know what it's like to see Nickelback in concert.

That's my review.
Yes, because I'm sure CBS will fill that slot with another show none of you will watch anyway so your lives won't change in the slightest.
My karmic debt must be huge.

----------

My blog: An Embarrassment of Rich's
(08-22-2018, 03:22 PM)ryoken Wrote: https://io9.gizmodo.com/freedom-1828529231

We are free!!!!

I mean, if we make it to 2019!

Weren't we all free from a show none of us watched?
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
Hopefully I'll be free of friends trying to convince me I'll like it.  "You're just like the guys on the show!  How can you not like it?"  Ugh.
I’m generally too busy to watch anything on TV.

I’m definitely too busy to worry about what other people watch on TV.

(08-22-2018, 05:31 PM)somewhere Wrote: Hopefully I'll be free of friends trying to convince me I'll like it.  "You're just like the guys on the show!  How can you not like it?"  Ugh.
Yeah, this. If I existed in a vacuum, there would be no reason for me to care about the show beyond its absolute and utter lack of any redeeming qualities and general odiousness. As is, not even my formidable powers of not-watching could allow me to escape it. Good God-damn riddance; now all we need to do is round up and destroy all extant copies by firing them into the Sun.
It was one of my favorite shows in recent memory, as I could totally relate to the fantasy of ostracized nerds who are into any an all pop culture, getting hot girlfriends and becoming well paid science people, but the show has run it course. I didn't watch at first and got hooked catching some reruns of season 5, but it's been spinning it's wheels for the past couple of years.
Git' in under mah belly!
(08-22-2018, 09:34 PM)commodorejohn Wrote:
(08-22-2018, 05:31 PM)somewhere Wrote: Hopefully I'll be free of friends trying to convince me I'll like it.  "You're just like the guys on the show!  How can you not like it?"  Ugh.
Yeah, this. If I existed in a vacuum, there would be no reason for me to care about the show beyond its absolute and utter lack of any redeeming qualities and general odiousness. As is, not even my formidable powers of not-watching could allow me to escape it. Good God-damn riddance; now all we need to do is round up and destroy all extant copies by firing them into the Sun.

And lets not get into how much damage and misinformation the show did with its depiction of mental conditions like autism or Aspergers syndrome as far as Sheldon's character is considered.
"Dictatorships foster oppression, dictatorships foster servitude, dictatorships foster cruelty; more abominable is the fact that they foster idiocy."

Xbox Live Gamer Tag: Strider Ryoken / PSN: Kenryo81 /Steam: Ryoken81
Or using nerd culture for incredibly unfunny jokes written by people who looked up references on Wikipedia.

Hopefully Young Sheldon will follow suit.
Originally Posted by ImmortanNick 

Saw Batman v Superman.
Now I know what it's like to see Nickelback in concert.

That's my review.
I have admittedly only attempted to watch maybe 3-4 episodes of this show. It was painfully unfunny and atrocious. I have also never met a person who ever had anything good to say about it.

I demand to know who has been watching and enjoying this show for all these years.
. . . ugh, my dad . . .

Ah, and a bud since high school . . . who really should know better.
Yeah, I know a good handful of people who really like the show.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
My mother in law thinks this is the funniest thing ever made.

She’s also a Trumper.
If you're happy, you're not paying attention.

Originally Posted by JacknifeJohnny: 
Glad that you guys worked that out amongst yourselves.

My wife's a fan. Anyway, Jim Parsons is a much better actor than I think people realize (in the murderer's row that is THE NORMAL HEART, he has the best performance in the best scene), so if he decided it was time to go so he could do other things, good for him.

https://news.avclub.com/jim-parsons-was-...1828562220
home taping is killing music
(08-23-2018, 06:14 PM)Overlord Wrote: I have admittedly only attempted to watch maybe 3-4 episodes of this show. It was painfully unfunny and atrocious. I have also never met a person who ever had anything good to say about it.

I demand to know who has been watching and enjoying this show for all these years.

Me! And some of my family. But like I said before, even I've gotten a bit tired of it the last couple of seasons. I think it peaked around season 5 or 6, which is when I got into it.
Git' in under mah belly!
https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/big-bang...56339.html

50 million? Man.
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina