Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your favorite Painter?

Frank Frazetta.  No question about it for me.  I was nine years old when I saw his painting, "Tree of Death" and it inspired me to be an artist.

*<br />

*<br />

*<br />

*<br />

*<br />

But my collecting any/all book, trading card, calendar that was Frazetta lead me to look up the artists who inspired him.  And then some.  Guys like N.C. Wyeth:

<br />

<br />

Another painter who has started to receive greater attention, J.C. Leyendecker.  I'm loving his work more than Norman Rockwell's now.

<br />

<br />

...and the magnificent, Gil Elvgren:

<br />

Now, there's digital painting and many digital artists study/paint traditionally, as well.  It's all the same techniques.  This guy here, is a recent inspiration.  Reynan Sanchez - his inspiration is Frank Frazetta, btw:

<br />

<br />

I can't say I'm well-versed in the art of painting but I've always liked Van Gogh's Drawbridge at Arles, and Akira Kurosawa's recreation of it in DREAMS...

The fine-arts painter I enjoy the most is definitely Edward Hopper.  His stuff just speaks to me...

And just to change it up a little my current commercial artist favorite is the one-sheet poster godfather, Drew Struzan.  Smile

ANC Wyeth was definitely pretty ninja, Smugbug. Good choice.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Harford View Post

NC Wyeth was definitely pretty ninja, Smugbug. Good choice.

Thanks.  Also a fan of his son, Andrew's work.  And I apologize for posting work of artists who have already been mentioned!  Just saw that JC Leyendecker and Frazetta have both had work posted here.  And someone posted about Michael Hussar!  Awesome.  Love his work, too.  I had an opportunity to watch him paint.  It was he, Shawn Barber, Dan Dos Santos, Greg Manchess, Carl Dobsky, Brom, and Justin Kaufman at a symposium.  It was four days and over 500-artists (professionals of varying degrees and art students, teachers) both traditional and digital tutorials/workshops happening every day.  And got to watch those guys start and finish a painting.

Here's some of Shawn Barber's work:

<br />

<br />