Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick Nunziata
View Post
Fully prepared for the backlash.

Fuck the backlash.

And count me in with the guys who've been praising the quality of your writing in that review. The non-sequitur stuff and obscure references are hit and miss with me, but your passion was really apparent in this piece.
Quote:

Originally Posted by mcnooj82
View Post
Hahaha... yeh, the ones the theater doesn't care about are the ones I have to adjust the whole movie. Not worth trying to keep and take care of. But if I find that perfect one, I'll definitely hold onto them.

Now what I'm not sure about is if glasses for a RealD showing will work fine at one showing Disney Digital 3D, or whatever other 3D is out there these days.

maybe its time to switch to contacts once and for all; normal glasses plus 3d glasses is a bitch to deal with most of the time.
Can't WAIT for Devin's review...

[img]homereatingpopcorngif[/img]
Also, Nick, don't let this balking at non-sequiturs influence future reviews/writing you. Some of us dig it.

A tip re: the 3D glasses... I've noticed they seem to crank the tightness of them pretty well so that they can fit "everyone" (i.e. at LEAST fit a small child). This, in my experience, makes them a bitch for anyone with a "normal" head, and god forbid you have a big head.

I like to take them, and stretch them around my thigh (if you're a toothpick, try both thighs I guess?). Alternatively, just physically wrench them around/outward while you wait/during non-3D previews. This always helps mine feel a little better.
I DO have a big head! I was the awkward kid on my little league team who was always late to bat because I couldn't find a helmet that fit my noggin!

Also, I refuse to get contacts for irrational reasons!

Also, Nick's non-sequiturs are one of the few things in the world that make me crack up uncontrollably. Like Jackface.
Much respect, Nick, for a sober, well written review. And for staying out of the pissy 6th grader bullshit that the Avatar discussions on this site have been. Stay classy, San Diego, and I hope I enjoy the film as much as you did.
Sober? I dunno. That review was GUSHING. I am going to require a second opinion before I let my enthusiasm run rampant, but I am one of the people who never cared as much about the tech or pulpy story (as flaws) and was more intent on the world-building and zany shit I know I've never seen done justice in live action before (mecha!).

So I was always going to see this. I was always excited for it. Nick's review, while passionate and certainly stirring, is a bit too Theatre Buzz for me to latch on to the way most of the rest of you have.
Well, they're ALL going to be a bit "theater buzz" this week, aren't they? That's almost always the very nature of pre-release reviews (and most reviews, in general). It's also a big part of what makes end of year/decade lists so interesting to read. You can't just go through a reviewers back-catalog, look at scores and say "oh yes, this'll be #1, 2, etc.).
I just went from interested to excited in the span of one review.

QUESTION: Is 3D IMAX going to be full-screen or will it be 2.35:1 like the rest of Cameron's films (save Aliens), just projected on an IMAX screen? I'd much rather see it widescreen. Anyone know?
Quote:

Originally Posted by Diaglo
View Post
QUESTION: Is 3D IMAX going to be full-screen or will it be 2.35:1 like the rest of Cameron's films (save Aliens), just projected on an IMAX screen? I'd much rather see it widescreen. Anyone know?

Best to my knowledge, it's simply going through IMAX's DNR process to be projected on an IMAX screen. It'll have black bars. Still widescreen.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xion
View Post
Sober? I dunno. That review was GUSHING. .

Perhaps I've been reading too many Marketsaw, AICN and IMDB reviews, but compared to 'OMGOMGOMGOMOMFGOMFG!!!!!!!!", 'WowowowowowowowowoOMFFFFGGGG!!!!!!", "THIS IS THE GREATEST FUCKING MOVIE EVAAAAAAARRRRRRRRR!!!", Nick's review is definitely "sober".
Quote:

View Post
Best to my knowledge, it's simply going through IMAX's DNR process to be projected on an IMAX screen. It'll have black bars. Still widescreen.

It's different, actually. The film will be shown in 2.35:1 for 2D presentations, and the mattes will open to 1.85:1 for 3D.
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Dark Shape
View Post
It's different, actually. The film will be shown in 2.35:1 for 2D presentations, and the mattes will open to 1.85:1 for 3D.

No kidding? I never heard about that. Cool. That just makes me wanna see the movie in both ratios. Hahahah, damn you Jim...
Very cool reading a (passionate) Nunziata review again. Feels old school.

Cameron:

Quote:

For Avatar we’re shooting in a 16:9 ratio, we’re extracting a cinemascope ratio from that for 2D theatrical exhibition, and for 3D theatrical exhibition we will do, in the theaters that can, we’ll be in the 16:9 format and the theaters that can’t we’ll be in the scope format. Because I actually think that the extra screen height really works well in 3D. It really pulls you through the screen. So I’m actually going back on years of kind of eschewing the kind of 1.85 format, now saying 1.85 - or actually, it’s 1.78:1 - actually works really well in 3D. But only in 3D. I still like the scope ratio compositionally for flat projection.

Quote:

View Post

This may sound like a dumb question...but can someone explain to me what the "DNR process" is? I've heard the term used before but have no idea what it means.
Very cool. I have felt very ambivalent about the way scope films have been handled when projected on IMAX. On one hand, I want my field of vision to be totally engulfed! On the other, I want to see the film the way it was originally composed.

Sigh.
Believe it stands for Digital Noise Reduction. Since basically you're taking movies shot on 35mm and blowing it up for projection on a screen meant for IMAX-sized footage, film grain would become too distracting. At least, that's the idea. I've never actually seen 35mm film projected onto an IMAX screen without having been processed in some way.
Actually, it's IMAX DMR, and it stands for "digital re-mastering" (yes, I know the acronym doesn't match). They're taking a standard 35mm print and digitally blowing it up to the larger IMAX frame.

http://www.cineplex.com/Theatres/Mov...X/IMAXDMR.aspx
It actually stands for Digital MEDIA Remastering (DMR). In Avatar's case, however, they wouldn't be blowing up a 35mm print, they'd be going right from the digital HD master.
Quote:

Originally Posted by englebert
View Post
And this film was so ripe with potential for mockery. For some reason this development is quite shocking to me.

Same here, I was not expecting this review, not from this site. I was expecting a tepid "it was okay, but nothing special" response.

Can't wait to see Devin's take.
Quote:

Originally Posted by SgtZim
View Post
It actually stands for Digital MEDIA Remastering (DMR). In Avatar's case, however, they wouldn't be blowing up a 35mm print, they'd be going right from the digital HD master.

Ok guys! Thanks for clearing that up for me...really appreciate it!
Glenn Kenny's four-star review:

http://www.theauteurs.com/notebook/posts/1326

Excerpts that I liked:

Quote:

What I really love about Cameron’s sci-fi work is that it baldly reveals that one of his key visual influences is comics pioneer Jack Kirby, he of the galactic concepts, massive double-truck panoramas, and the craziest kineticism that was ever contained within none-moving frames, that is, comic book panels. Watching the camera pans going over the desolate planet landscape filling up with defense machinery in Aliens was like looking at a trademark Kirby two-page post splash vision come to life. It wasn’t just the composition and the larger than life humans; it was the hypertrophied design of the weapons and the air, land, and sometimes sea craft. A crazy, violent universe, made all the more exhilarating and weird and funny in that both Kirby and Cameron use the violence of their vision to proselytize for...world peace?

Yeah, pretty much. So Cameron’s long awaited, much-second-guessed Avatar, a ridiculously expensive-to-produce, CGI-driven, 3-D epic, works best as an insanely expanded Kirby-esque cinematic spectacle. The comic-book analogy is in fact stronger than the video game one, and the video game one is the easiest to grab for by folks who don’t know their Kirby.

Quote:

There are touches here recognizable from Dances With Wolves, and The Matrix as well. It is neither a stretch not an insult to say that there is very little original about Cameron’s plotting, but one should note that he commendably declines to rub your nose in its Joseph Campbell-isms. What is unusual about the picture is the ferocity with which Sully (a solid Sam Worthington) goes native.

Quote:

The picture’s not perfect. Learning your visuals from Jack Kirby is one thing, but too often it sounds like Cameron learned to write dialogue from the guy too; Cameron’s occasional genius for the perfect dumb catchphrase notwithstanding, the talk here, as in his other pictures, is mostly leaden and on the nose. (Which may just mean that the occasional perfect dumb catchphrase is all you need.)

He also only half-jokingly calls the picture a "call for worldwide jihad." Well worth a read.
This seems to be the most political film of the year, according to Jeffrey Wells....

"The political import of Avatar -- and there's no waving this aspect away because it's right in your face start to finish, and especially in the third act -- is ardently left. It is pro-indigenous native, anti-corporate, anti-imperialist, anti-U.S. Iraq War effort, anti-U.S.-in-Afghanistan (and anti-troop-surge-in-that-country, or strongly against the thinking of President Barack Obama and Gen. Stanley McChrystal), anti-rightie, anti-Bush-Cheney-Rumsfeld, etc."
I remain skeptical. Living up to that review is going to be harder than living up to Cameron's statements. I ignore director's telling me how great their films are but this review makes me really expect something special.

I'm unaware of Nick's initial thoughts on the look though. My big hang up is that I loath the look... did the film making get you past this particular hang up or did you always like the look so it was never an issue? Just curious... I'll creep your old posts I guess.
Quote:

Originally Posted by rainbowtrout
View Post
This seems to be the most political film of the year, according to Jeffrey Wells....

"The political import of Avatar -- and there's no waving this aspect away because it's right in your face start to finish, and especially in the third act -- is ardently left. It is pro-indigenous native, anti-corporate, anti-imperialist, anti-U.S. Iraq War effort, anti-U.S.-in-Afghanistan (and anti-troop-surge-in-that-country, or strongly against the thinking of President Barack Obama and Gen. Stanley McChrystal), anti-rightie, anti-Bush-Cheney-Rumsfeld, etc."

Commentary on work like this always depresses me. I remember when the majority view of the country was actually in line with this kind of thinking, when the Gecko "greed is good" was supposed to be shocking and not something MBA assholes quote to each other like hipsters quote Lebowski. The idea that one charismatic old man could convince entire generations of Americans that it is normal and good to be an insane, uncaring assholes and that we've degenerated to the point that we actually debate whether or not torture is a bad thing just utterly depresses.
Gosh, I terribly miss Nick's reviews. Dude, you need to get back on the bandwagon. At least one review a week...how about it?
Shouldn't some of this be in the pre-release thread?
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray Abed
View Post
Gosh, I terribly miss Nick's reviews. Dude, you need to get back on the bandwagon. At least one review a week...how about it?

Yeah no kidding. As much as I like the reviews of bad/cult movies, this one was really charming and heart felt.
Something is about to happen that will ensure lots more of me around here.
Hmmmm, Devin's leaving the site, then? First thing that comes to mind.
Quote:

View Post

Nunz clone?
Quote:

View Post

Well that's a good thing for us but I hope it's a good thing for you too...
We have to nuke the site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure (of killing all of those troublesome natives that are stopping us from getting those resources that we need to maintain the US way of life ... I mean save the Earth).
Quote:

Originally Posted by rainbowtrout
View Post

It's always funny when films you could argue are anti-corporate are made by some of the most corporate capitalist entities on the planet.

Of course, I think the best example of this was somehow Fox made Fight Club.

I'm still wondering how that one got past the radar.
Quote:

View Post

Well that news just made my weekend.

(that said Nick, I certainly hope the 'something' is a good thing for you and not negative obviously)

Also Nick - do you know anyone who has seen Avatar yet in 2D perchance or is it all 3D screenings at this stage?