Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Tea Party Thread
Quote:

Originally Posted by teledork
View Post

Did any Chewers happen to make it to the rally?Thoughts?
Quote:

Originally Posted by teledork
View Post

These signs give me hope for all of you.
my fav so far

'Is this the line for Justin Beiber Tickets?'
Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Dickson
View Post
The problem is too many Republicans are willing to let the Tea Baggers go unchecked because it's helping knock down the Democrats. They're riding the tiger without a care for the consequences. And that's why I had no qualms this year about voting for every Democrat on my ballot just based on the "DEM" next to their name; if the Republicans want to embrace this idiocy, they don't deserve my consideration.

I don't think that the Republicans are riding a tiger so much as being ridden out of town. Moderate Republicans are getting destroyed in Primaries and replaced by extreme and extremely stupid Tea Partiers. It's pretty clear that if you want to be in the GOP you'd better share the Tea Party beliefs or pretend that you do. The net effect is the same: the GOP is now an extremist party, just like the Democrats were dominated by the Extreme Left in the late 60's-early 70's.

This can only strengthen the Democrats in the long run, but they really need some organization and Party leadership to brand themselves as the party of common sense and moderation.
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbrother
View Post
Did any Chewers happen to make it to the rally?Thoughts?

I was there. The rally itself was a blast. Contrary to what the tea party folks are trying to paint it as, it was a very diverse crowd (both in terms of age distribution and racial makeup that was very polite and respectful, and cleaned up after themselves when they left.

The show itself was beyond awesome. The Roots + John Legend gave a great warm-up show, followed by the Mythbusters leading the crowd in some "experiments" (it took nearly a minute for "the wave" to reach from one end of the crowd to the other). Then the actual show...well, let's just say I'm pretty sure there's never been another place where Yusuf/Cat Stevens and Ozzy Osbourne had "duelling trains" (Peace Train/Crazy Train) that segued into the O'Jays singing "Love Train." A Kid Rock song that I actually liked. Colbert and Stewart were on the top of their game, and Stewart's "closing remarks" were fantastic.

As far as the political sentiments of the crowd, there's no doubt it was left-leaning. I'd say the "sign ratio" was about 60/40 between "humorous/apolitical/"tone it down a notch" type signs vs. "openly Anti-Beck/Anti-Fox/Anti-Tea Party" (at least from among those that I saw...I was about in the center of the crowd...which is to say about 600 yards from the stage and about 600 yards from the Monument).

All in all though, the "vibe" was extremely positive. I dunno that it changed anything, but I think a lot of people left feeling better knowing that not everyone in the USA has lost their marbles.
Christopher Hitchens on the Tea Party in Vanity Fair.

Quote:

As I started by saying, the people who really curl my lip are the ones who willingly accept such supporters for the sake of a Republican victory, and then try to write them off as not all that important, or not all that extreme, or not all that insane in wanting to repeal several amendments to a Constitution that they also think is unalterable because it’s divine! It may be true that the Tea Party’s role in November’s vote was less than some people feared, and it’s certainly true that several of the movement’s elected representatives will very soon learn the arts of compromise and the pork barrel. But then what happens at the next downturn? A large, volatile constituency has been created that believes darkly in betrayal and conspiracy. A mass “literature” has been disseminated, to push the mad ideas of exploded crackpots and bigots. It would be no surprise if those who now adore Beck and his acolytes were to call them sellouts and traitors a few years from now. But, alas, they would not be the only victims of the poisonous propaganda that’s been uncorked. Some of the gun brandishing next time might be for real. There was no need for this offense to come, but woe all the same to those by whom it came, and woe above all to those who whitewashed and rationalized it.

Fuck.

I give up. I'm finishing school and, through the proper channels, moving to Vancouver, or Sydney, or Munich. Anywhere. The fact that the hammer hasn't fallen on this bullshit yet is a testament to its strength built upon its own disregard for logic. I'm done.
Just move to Cambridge?
Christopher Hitchens lets the Tea Party, Glenn Beck and their apologists have it as only Hitchens can.
Quote:

Originally Posted by yt
View Post
Christopher Hitchens lets the Tea Party, Glenn Beck and their apologists have it as only Hitchens can.

the article so nice it was posted twice

It looks like this mongoloids may actually torch the tax cut "compromise", thus doing the right thing--and the best thing in their own interests--for the wrong reasons.

It goes to show you that the establishment Democrats do, in fact, hate the base of their party and the Republicans fear theirs.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Jarvie
View Post
the article so nice it was posted twice

d'oh!!!

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2011...n-shooting

Motherfuckers

Yep. What a coincidence.

"Insurrection Timeline"

= pretty spooky stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Kate View Post

This makes my stomach turn.

The tea partiers now have a new American flag that they say is a signal of a "second American revolution" (You know, cause electing a black guy ruined the first one...?)

http://rawstory.com/2010/02/tea-part...splaying-flag/

Came across this after reading about Tancredo's remarkably racist comments at the Tea Party convention. I saw the clips, it was like he was doing a George Wallace impression

Quote:
"How about the American flag?" On Point radio's Tom Ashbrook asked McQueen last month. "That's not good enough? You know, the stars and stripes?

McQueen replied, "This flag has never been meant to replace the national flag. This flag has a specific purpose and it's time has come. To show the politicians and the media that we're ready for a second American revolution. And with that, you know, in America we have a choice of four boxes for political change. We can go to the soap box, the ballot box, or we can go to the jury box. And hopefully we won't have to go to the bullet box."

"Bullet box?" Ashbrook asked. "Are you talking about armed revolution?"

McQueen retorted, "Have you seen the ammunition sales the last twelve months?"
That shit is scary and evil

Just quoted for the heck of it

Anyway, posting today because of some truly repellent development in the Texas Text Book Massacre

Tea Party demands:

Quote:

Hal Rounds, spokesman for the group, recently claimed at news conference that there was "an awful lot of made-up criticism about, for instance, the Founders intruding on the Indians or having slaves or being hypocrites in one way or another."

As a result, the Tea Party organizations argue, there should be "no portrayal of minority experience in the history which actually occurred shall obscure the experience or contributions of the Founding Fathers, or the majority of citizens, including those who reached positions of leadership." 

This is pretty deranged. You're unable to discuss minority grievances if it makes the majority look bad? They're denying that the founders owned slaves?

sheard1.jpg

Dr Jones seeks text book approval

AJust days after ISIS posted a list of the home addresses of US military service members in the hopes that "lone wolf" terrorists would attack soldiers' homes and families, one asshole in Connecticut has published a list of the names and addresses of state legislators who voted for a bill to require licenses for rifles, ban the sale of rifles to minors, and ban the sale of assault weapons to anyone under 21.
AWhen I saw the post before yours was Princess Kate, I nearly had a fucking heart attack.
AWell, we certainly wouldn't want that. I figured the story was worth searching for an already existing Tea Party thread for, rather than dumping in one of the more generalized Republican Party threads.