Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Netflix Instant View Heads-Ups
I don't think I ever got around to recommending 'The Two Killings of Sam Cooke'. Amazingly impactful and comprehensive for being just a little under an hour and a half. Devastating, yes, but inspiring portrait of a true hero. America kills, but, like the man said, a change is gonna come.

"Got concrete rhymes, been rappin' for ten years and

Even when I'm braggin', I'm bein' sincere"

"Teenage angst has paid off well/ Now I'm bored and old"

"Drunk as hell, but no throwin' up

Half way home and my pager still blowin' up"

"I'm tired of living all alone
yeah, nobody ever calls me on the phone
But when things start getting bad
I just play my music louder"

Jordan Hoffman: "It's no The Lady Eve (what is?) but the Spanish cruise-based grifter screwball comedy Yucatán, debuting on Netflix right now, is old school fun."

https://www.tvguide.com/news/netflix-yucatan-review/

"Giant cruise ships are inherently ridiculous. You pay a lot of money to get places really slowly. The food, while plentiful, is never that good and the evening's entertainment is provided by performers who couldn't book a gig on dry land. But I've done many sailings and it is undeniable a weird magic spell accompanies the salt spray. Yes, you are on an enormous floating Radisson, but you are also out at sea and the people around you aren't strangers they are fellow travelers. Great setting for a screwball comedy.

"A moonlit deck is a woman's business office," Rita Hayworth says in Preston Sturges' steamer-set masterpiece The Lady Eve, and the players in Daniel Monzón's Yucatán are wise enough to lean into this enhanced romanticism. It also doubles-down on that earlier grifter classic. As we watch the boat load-up, we see there isn't just one dirty rotten scoundrel on board, but two, and they aren't exactly pals.

Connecting the house pianist, Clyderman (Rodrigo De La Serna), and a stowaway named Lucas (Luis Tosar) is one of the shipboard dancers and aide-de-con, Verónica (Stephanie Cayo). This trip sails from Barcelona to the Yucatán (via Casablanca and Tenerife) and is Clyderman's watery turf. Lucas is supposed to stick to the Mediterranean. So why is he here? He claims that he's fallen in love with Verónica and wants to take her away from this life, and that may even be true, but that can't be the whole story.

Before we learn it, though, we get to watch Clyderman in action, finding his marks, setting up elaborate schemes, utilizing his arsenal of actors and stagecraft. An excursion to a Moroccan diamond-seller (and, later, police station) maybe isn't the most progressive portrayal of North Africa, put it plays into the fears of the rich dummies he plans to fleece. In between, there are peppy musical numbers mixing traditional Spanish instruments and Latin jazz. Hey, this is like being on vacation!

A widower (Joan Pera) is on board with his three daughters and two sons-in-law, and Lucas works out a smart way to befriend him. He is a kind baker who recently won €120 million through the lottery, and while happy to bring his family on a trip (especially his wide-eyed and cheery unmarried daughter) he's aware that a windfall like this can only bring bad karma. The bad karma is Lucas, conniving and uncaring and willing to tell any lie to get his hands on that money.

Soon Clyderman learns Lucas' score and starts his own scheme. Then Verónica realizes its time she be her own agent and begins working her own angles. (With one of her fellow dancers, she eyes the bachelorette heiress.) Also, maybe there are other con artists aboard? Everyone from the card dealers to the Russian head of security seems to be on the take. "He has no limits! No scruples! He f--king rules!" one grifter says in awe of another.

If traveling by steamer is old school, so are the madcap set pieces in Yucatán. There are drugged drinks, dames in sexy outfits, overweight guys in speedos, a busload of yelling senior citizens, guys in koala bear masks making violent threats. At one point, one of our competing thieves hurls someone overboard, but doesn't want to kill the guy, so he gets dropped in a lifeboat with a bunch of bananas. Yes, technically, that will keep someone alive until (hopefully) another ship comes along; but visually it looks straight out of Woody Woodpecker. This is not unwelcome

Yucatán is not important cinema. The ending is particularly ludicrous. But it is a great example of Netflix taking an international title (in this case Spain) and plopping it down in front of a massive audience and saying "give this a spin." Unless you are one of those philistines who refuses to watch anything with subtitles, it's virtually impossible not to be amused by this picture. Like the limitless buffet and late show with dancing girls, it's a simple pleasure, but one with guaranteed success."

Cool, I've been waiting for this a while. According to this thread, at least the pilot has all the original licensed music! The Pilot directed of course by Abel Ferrara!

"Just a heads up...the 80s cult tv series Crime Story is now streaming on Amazon Prime Video."

https://twitter.com/pennyddreadful/statu...7501011968

THE DIRT is the most entertaining book in the history of human communication. From Jackass's production company, so I'm hopeful they haven't sanitized the story to much.

Looks like things start out real good for them and then there's some turmoil.

I'll watch it, I'm just sad we never got the version back in the day with Val Kilmer as David Lee Roth.
I'd completely forgotten about that. If Kilmer had managed to play Morrison, Elvis, and Roth, they would have had to add him to Mount Rushmore.
I cannot wait for this. I may have to re-read the book (again) to gird my loins for it.
(02-20-2019, 09:46 AM)Misfit Wrote: THE DIRT is the most entertaining book in the history of human communication. From Jackass's production company, so I'm hopeful they haven't sanitized the story to much.

It looks intriguing. From the looks of the trailer, they'll be covering Vince Neil's infamous car crash and Sixx's overdose at least.

I wonder if they'll cover the period when they did the 1994 self-titled album without Neil?
(02-20-2019, 11:05 PM)ravi Wrote:
(02-20-2019, 09:46 AM)Misfit Wrote: THE DIRT is the most entertaining book in the history of human communication. From Jackass's production company, so I'm hopeful they haven't sanitized the story to much.

It looks intriguing. From the looks of the trailer, they'll be covering Vince Neil's infamous car crash and Sixx's overdose at least.

I wonder if they'll cover the period when they did the 1994 self-titled album without Neil?

Poor John Corabi. He tells a story in the book about getting a tattoo of the album's name, then they changed their minds and decided to make it self-titled.
Heads up Song Kang-ho fans: The Drug King is already up at Netflix. From the director/writer of Inside Men (he he)
I saw that trailer and thought that was him.

It looks good.

Added to the never-ending queue.
My PSN ID - electrichead72-----------------------------------------I'm not dumb! I'm smart! and I want respect!
Enjoying The Kirlian Frequency on Netflix. It's kind of a creepypasta-type anthology about a mysterious town as narrated by the local radio host. The animation style is a throwback to the Flash web series of the early 2000s. At 11 mins an episode it's an easy and interesting watch.
Amazon Prime continues to post classic movies to their service. As of today, they've added BLOOD AND BLACK LACE, TO SLEEP WITH ANGER, JOHNNY GUITAR, last year's pretty good THUNDER ROAD (another candidate for the Opening Sequences Draft), THE TERMINATOR, MIDNIGHT COWBOY, MARTY and tons more.
I just noticed THUNDERBOLT & LIGHTFOOT is up. YOU SHOULD OWN THIS MOVIE AND WATCH IT EVERY YEAR, but hey at least give it a look if you haven't. Jeff Bridges + Eastwood have one of the great buddy chemistries of all time. Excellent direction by Cimino - one of the best shot movies you'll ever see. George Kennedy, a hilarious asshole. The tone. so uniquely 70's. It's pretty much perfect.

Cool, the Roadshow cut of HATEFUL EIGHT might be coming to Netflix next month!

https://forum.tarantino.info/t/the-hatef...tflix/6768

(03-16-2019, 03:05 AM)Fat Elvis Wrote: I just noticed THUNDERBOLT & LIGHTFOOT is up. YOU SHOULD OWN THIS MOVIE AND WATCH IT EVERY YEAR, but hey at least give it a look if you haven't. Jeff Bridges + Eastwood have one of the great buddy chemistries of all time. Excellent direction by Cimino - one of the best shot movies you'll ever see. George Kennedy, a hilarious asshole. The tone. so uniquely 70's. It's pretty much perfect.
I'll second this. This is a great looking movie.
If like me you suffer from frequent bouts of Glickenhaus fever, and you need a quick remedy, good news - his 90's masterwork MCBAIN is on Prime!

Essential Walken. Essential Ironside. Essential  Maria Conchita Alonso. Essential Cinema!

[Image: MV5BYzY1NGNiMzYtZjEyYi00ZDBmLWFmOWUtOGNj...@._V1_.jpg][Image: 34594-mcbain-0-230-0-345-crop.jpg?k=81cab52fc3][Image: DNXlcCWXkAIVo57.jpg]

The Criterion Channel announced their lineup for their April 8 debut - https://www.criterion.com/current/posts/...nch-lineup 

Quote:The new service will host the Criterion Collection and Janus Films’ ever-growing library of more than 1,000 feature films, 350 shorts, and 3,500 supplementary features, including trailers, introductions, behind-the-scenes documentaries, interviews, video essays, commentary tracks, and rare archival footage. It will also feature a constantly refreshed selection of films from a wide array of studio and independent licensors including Sony Pictures, Warner Bros., Paramount Pictures, Metro Goldwyn Mayer (MGM), Lionsgate, IFC Films, Kino Lorber, Cohen Media, Milestone Film and Video, Oscilloscope, Cinema Guild, Strand Releasing, Shout Factory, Film Movement, and Grasshopper Films. Additional licensors will be added in the coming months.

I am pleased.
There is a show on Netflix called FLINCH, and it's thisclose to being "Guantanamo: The Game Show."
A head's up: KILL BILL 1 & 2 are out the door June 1st.

On the way:

Rolling Thunder Revue: A Bob Dylan Story by Martin Scorsese (6/12) (whoa!)

The Black Godfather (6/7)

Small Soldiers (6/1) (underrated Dante!)

Magic Mike (6/1)

Gran Torino (6/1)

20th Century Women (6/28)

Cabaret (6/1) (!)

EDIT: apparently BLACK GODFATHER is NOT the exploitation classic, but some new Netflix flick. Booooooooooooooooooooooo

EDIT II: directed by Reginald Hudlin? Ok, I'll give it a chance!

The great Mike McBeardo posted this on FB:

"STILL LAUGH-IN, on Netflix, is must-cringe TV the likes of which we so rarely get to keel over at and enjoy anymore.

Combining ONLY the mortifying cornball aspects of the original series and vintage 70s all-star network spectaculars with four-letter-words, the perpetually "Why is she here?" presence of Tiffany Haddish, and the disingenuous Hollywood "woke"-ness of today, it is the most gloriously gloppy bowel discharge of self-congratulation and phony "fun" plopped out for public consumption in decades.

So as such dream abominations go, I highly recommend it! In fact, STILL LAUGH-IN is nothing less than the 21st century answer to BOB HOPE'S JOYS!!!"

The Friday double feature on the Criterion Channel: THE WICKER MAN and DON'T LOOK NOW.

Neat.
Disappearing in a few days is the fantastic 2016 doc THE LAST LAUGH about the history of Jewish humor and how often it culturally has been used to deflect pain of persecution & prejudice; even to shock and enrage as way of to never allow forgetting .

Funny and poignant, with varied perspectives of Holocaust survivors and iconic comedians.

I could listen to Mel Brooks and Carl Reiner talk comedy for hours..

The Man Who Killed Hitler and Then Bigfoot is on Hulu and Under the Silver Lake is on Prime.
Criterion Channel has some cool stuff coming up in August:

8/1 - THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE and FEMALE TROUBLE arrive
8/2 - Double Feature: EYES WITHOUT A FACE & THE SKIN I LIVE IN
8/4 - Directed by Werner Herzog (16 films, including his great 70's work . . . haven't seen STROZEK in ages)
8/5 - Criterion Blu: TRUE STORIES (have never seen this one)
8/8 - From the Archive: TRAINSPOTTING
8/11 - The Immigrants (11 films, including AMERICA, AMERICA, ALI: FEAR EATS THE SOUL and LA HAINE)
8/18 - Pre-Code Barbara Stanwyck (11 films, including BABY FACE, which is great)
8/19 - POLICE STORY/POLICE STORY 2
So the new Chapelle is up. It's ruffling a few feathers.
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
LATE NIGHT is up on Prime.
Good Scott Adkins flick is now up on Netflix. AVENGEMENT. Less one of his martial arts movies and more of a British gangster film, though there are still plenty of brutal fight scenes.

Edit: Guess it's not up on Netflix after all.
I was looking for it this morning and it didn't come up for me.

I'll have to try again.
My PSN ID - electrichead72-----------------------------------------I'm not dumb! I'm smart! and I want respect!
Guess it's not up. This is the site I look at to see what's been added to Netflix:

https://www.whats-on-netflix.com/whats-new/

They have it added on 9/6 but I checked my phone just now and I couldn't find it either. Sorry about that!

EAT PRAY LOVE was apparently added today so please accept that as consolation.
I'm not sure that's an even sub.
It's up there now. Totally legit. AVENGEMENT now on Netflix. I'm not a boob.
We shall see.