Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Werewolf? Here, here wolf!
As this is a proverbial Shark Week of wolf men at CHUD I figured the Corner should have a discussion going on the furry fellas. I initially (lazily) was going to have this be "Best Werewolf Movies Ever," but immediately realized what a tragically monotonous and short thread that would be.

Instead I open the floor to any and all things lycanthrope related: best/worst make-up, literature, songs, werewolf ep of an anthology series, comic book, whatever you can think of. Bring it.

I throw out there the two WORST werewolf films I've ever seen...

Howling: New Moon Rising
The series had already been circling the drain for years, but this installment was a truly uninspired turd. It was written, directed and starring Clive Turner, who played a supporting role in parts IV, V. But Turner seemed more interested in featuring a lame band (friends presumably) than an actual werewolf. Insanely boring.

Werewolf
I bought this film for $3 because of the tagline: "Rest in Beast." This is another werewolf flic that attempts to sneak by without ever really having a werewolf in it. And once it finally does, the monster looks like a mask they bought at a Halloween store. When will people learn... you can't make a werewolf movie with NO money. That's why God invented slashers.

Best werewolf song - I nominate "Werewolf" by Five Man Electric Band.
Not a great film, but I have always really liked Dog Soldiers.

It's a charming film about coming of age in a British special forces unit hunted by bipedal werewolves trying to find their place in the world.
Quote:

Originally Posted by MightyWorm
View Post

I'd never heard that before. I dig the hell out of it.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackson
View Post
Not a great film, but I have always really liked Dog Soldiers.

It's a charming film about coming of age in a British special forces unit hunted by bipedal werewolves trying to find their place in the world.

I'd say it is a great film. It's a good take on the "under siege" genre that happens to have 7-foot-tall lycanthropes. The ending sequence with Kevin McKidd tearing through the house trying to escape is fun, fast-paced, and well directed. One of the better werewolf films.
I recently did a reread of King's "Cycle of the Werewolf". It's a fun--if slight--story, but the Bernie Wrightson illustrations push it into the realm of greatness.

Side note: everyone knows the best werewolf song is "Wolf Like Me" by TV On the Radio.
Quote:

View Post
Howling: New Moon Rising
The series had already been circling the drain for years, but this installment was a truly uninspired turd. It was written, directed and starring Clive Turner, who played a supporting role in parts IV, V. But Turner seemed more interested in featuring a lame band (friends presumably) than an actual werewolf. Insanely boring.

Oh man this movie. I'm pretty sure there's a werewolf in it for about thirty seconds of halloween-mask fun. Turner just went out to Pioneertown, California, filmed everyone there acting wacky, spliced in some clips from other Howling movies and called it a day. There are seriously more scenes of line dancing than there are werewolves.

Also, no werewolf thread is complete without a mention of Project: Metalbeast. This movie has it all: werewolves, metal skin, Barry Bostwick...
In general I prefer my werewolf movies to be about a single werewolf. Other than The Howling, I'm not a huge fan of what I'd call Werewolf Army movies. But I do agree that Dog Soldiers is fun as hell. It sorta treats werewolves like a zombie movie, which on paper I don't like, but Marshall pulls it off with like 85% success.

As a wee lad whenever my mom would go to the bookstore I'd always seek out Cycle of the Werewolf to look at the artwork. Really cool stuff.

Project: Metalbeast? I must see this film!!
Quote:

View Post

Actually, my vote goes to:

Werewolf- The Frantics.

The b-side is called "No Werewolf;" same song without the verse recital or werewolf noises.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeb
View Post
Actually, my vote goes to:

Werewolf- The Frantics.

The b-side is called "No Werewolf;" same song without the verse recital or werewolf noises.

Dig it.

Quote:

Side note: everyone knows the best werewolf song is "Wolf Like Me" by TV On the Radio.

Also good. Maybe all songs about werewolves are great.
Quote:

View Post
Maybe all songs about werewolves are great.

Hmmmm, you may be on to something there.
If you're looking for a good modern werewolf book, SHARP TEETH is a good'n. It's one of those underground tribes of wolves stories.
And for the love of all that's hairy, stay far far away from Skinwalkers.
Quote:

View Post
Werewolf
I bought this film for $3 because of the tagline: "Rest in Beast." This is another werewolf flic that attempts to sneak by without ever really having a werewolf in it. And once it finally does, the monster looks like a mask they bought at a Halloween store. When will people learn... you can't make a werewolf movie with NO money. That's why God invented slashers. [/URL]

One of the best episodes of MST3K was using this movie. A real cinematic atrocity.

As for good Werewolf songs, CHUD's own Lucky Nightsticks did Japanese Werewolf, which is a very fun song.

But really, can anyone top Warren Zevon? Maybe it's overplayed but it's one of my favorite songs.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug
View Post
If you're looking for a good modern werewolf book, SHARP TEETH is a good'n. It's one of those underground tribes of wolves stories.

This book sounds excellent, despite my inherent dislike of werewolf tribes.
I saw an MST3K movie about a wearwolf one time, I just wish I could remember more about it
I need to revisit it because a lot of the finer points have gone all fuzzy, but I remember loving GINGER SNAPS.
Quote:

Originally Posted by JGButler
View Post
I need to revisit it because a lot of the finer points have gone all fuzzy, but I remember loving GINGER SNAPS.

And well you should. You can happily avoid the sequels, though.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Erik Wacker
View Post
One of the best episodes of MST3K was using this movie. A real cinematic atrocity.

Is this the one were the wolfman is driving a car and Tom Servo uses the line, "American werewolf in traffic"? That line still makes me laugh.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mattioli
View Post

Hmmmm, you may be on to something there.

Shit, I loved that show as a kid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EEslgaK8BI
Quote:

View Post

It's great, one of the top werewolf movies ever. So is Ginger Snaps 2: Unleashed, an unexpectedly excellent and unique sequel. Ginger Snaps Back isn't nearly as good, but still better than most werewolf movies out there.

Howling fans should rightly freak out over this new t-shirt:

http://www.fright-rags.com/the-howling-p-341.html
Ginger Snaps 2 takes such a strange and different direction from the first.

And it has that bizarre fairy tale/ superhero angle with the little girl. Just a really off-beat and interesting film.
By the way, what ever happened to Dog Soldiers 2? Wasn't Rogue Pictures developing it? Did it get the ax when they were bought up?

Or did I dream the whole thing?
DOG SOLDIERS and GINGER SNAPS are clever little movies, but calling them great is getting carried away.

Most disappointing werewolf movie? WOLF. Mike Nichols re-teaming with Jack while tackling Horror? Expectations high. Results geek dream shatteringly dull.

"But when you talk about destruction

Don't you know that you can count me out (in)"

"Bitchin'! Is this in 3-D?"

"No, but your face is."

"Drunk as hell, but no throwin' up

Half way home and my pager still blowin' up"

"I'm tired of living all alone
yeah, nobody ever calls me on the phone
But when things start getting bad
I just play my music louder"

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clarence Boddicker
View Post
Shit, I loved that show as a kid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EEslgaK8BI

Hmmmm, try this instead: Spooky, scary.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mattioli
View Post
Hmmmm, try this instead: Spooky, scary.

And some more silliness!

GINGER SNAPS would probably make it to my top ten werewolf movies (though admittedly there isn't super steep competition). I think it's a really fun modern take on the classic werewolf story. And I like the whole puberty allegory the film has. Very BUFFY-esque.
There's a lot to be said for walking around the discussed-to-death obvious one (American Werewolf) but its Parisian counterpart? Goddamn. Such a boring, muted, milquetoast little movie.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fat Elvis
View Post
Most disappointing werewolf movie? WOLF. Mike Nichols re-teaming with Jack while tackling Horror? Expectations high. Results geek dream shatteringly dull.

I wanted to love it; Jack has some incredible moments in it, and there's several good supporting performances.

That said, I think it's a decent script that Nichols just never really gets his hands around, and Pfeiffer seems to be in another movie most of the time.
I think Pfieffer spent the entire movie thinking she was doing Ladyhawk again.
Quote:

View Post
There's a lot to be said for walking around the discussed-to-death obvious one (American Werewolf) but its Parisian counterpart? Goddamn. Such a boring, muted, milquetoast little movie.

I think that was the first time I'd seen a CGI werewolf transformation. If that had been the only use of CG I'd ever seen I would've voted to shut down the technology right then and there. A truly horrendous film all around.

Actually... has there been a genuinely awesome CG werewolf transformation yet? I'm not saying there hasn't been, but I'm having a hard time thinking of one.
BEST WEREWOLF FILM FEATURING ANGELA LANSBURY

I assume that broken link represents Company of Wolves, which is indeed terrific.

ETA: Ah, there it is...
There seems to be a nostalgic reappraisal of SILVER BULLET happening, but I still hate it as much as I ever did.

My all-time fave is THE HOWLING. I'll take it even over AMERICAN WEREWOLF.

"But when you talk about destruction

Don't you know that you can count me out (in)"

"Bitchin'! Is this in 3-D?"

"No, but your face is."

"Drunk as hell, but no throwin' up

Half way home and my pager still blowin' up"

"I'm tired of living all alone
yeah, nobody ever calls me on the phone
But when things start getting bad
I just play my music louder"

Quote:

View Post
My all-time fave is THE HOWLING. I'll take it even over AMERICAN WEREWOLF.

It's a close call, but same here, mainly because I prefer bipedal werewolf-creatures as opposed to a straight-up, four-legged wolf.
Eric Red's Bad Moon. I don't know how good an adaption it is (never read the book Thor) but making a family dog the badass hero of a werewolf movie is a fucking great idea. Top shelf performance from Michael Pare as the lycanthropic Uncle Ted too!
Quote:

View Post
There seems to be a nostalgic reappraisal of SILVER BULLET happening, but I still hate it as much as I ever did.

It's all about the Busey factor, Elvis. If only Wrightson had included his likeness in Cycle of the Werewolf, always wanted to see his take on GB. Still bitter over that Hider in the House graphic novel that got cancelled.