Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Werewolf? Here, here wolf!
Seriously guys, you haven't lived until you've seen Project Metalbeast. They decide to make bulletproof werewolves. Why? BECAUSE THEY CAN!
Whew. So much good werewolf talk. I think we could all use a break.

*This post brought to you by The Beast Must Die!*
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fat Elvis
View Post
My all-time fave is THE HOWLING. I'll take it even over AMERICAN WEREWOLF.

"I'm gonna give you a piece of my mind..."

THE HOWLING obviously wins.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Disciple_72
View Post
Eric Red's Bad Moon. I don't know how good an adaption it is (never read the book Thor) but making a family dog the badass hero of a werewolf movie is a fucking great idea. Top shelf performance from Michael Pare as the lycanthropic Uncle Ted too!

It is a great concept. Personally found the movie fairly poor though.

SILVER BULLET is a movie I loved, loved, loved as a kid. I saw it again recently, and while there was much nostalgia for me, I'd be lying if I said I thought it totally held up.

I think AMERICAN WEREWOLF has the best individual moments, but I think THE HOWLING is a better overall film. It's also trying to be scarier.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Coombs
View Post
Whew. So much good werewolf talk. I think we could all use a break.

*This post brought to you by The Beast Must Die!*

Thank you for that. I had to review that movie for Creature Corner back in the day, and that moment had me rolling.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Graham
View Post
"I'm gonna give you a piece of my mind..."

Followed by twenty minutes of transformation. At one point, I'm pretty sure the actress actually checks her watch.
Gotta admit I'm surprised to see THE HOWLING be so overwhelmingly voted on top. I've seen both but it's been awhile (seems like a recurring theme for me in this thread).

And I gotta throw out just a little love for Thriller. It's almost a bit more were-kitteh than werewolf, but I always appreciated the makeup job.
I loved Silver Bullet back in the day but haven't seen it in years. I'd hate to find out that it really sucks. Maybe I'll stay away from it.

How is the movie Werewolf of London? I have it because it's in the Wolfman Legacy set, but I've never watched it. I'm planning on watching all of the movies that the Wolf Man is in and didn't know if I should maybe watch it for comparison's sake at least.
Quote:

Originally Posted by MightyWorm
View Post
I think AMERICAN WEREWOLF has the best individual moments, but I think THE HOWLING is a better overall film. It's also trying to be scarier.

Conversely, it's also arguably campier than AWIL. Compare the last five minutes of both films. Which one ends on a massive sick joke?
Quote:

Originally Posted by JGButler
View Post
Gotta admit I'm surprised to see THE HOWLING be so overwhelmingly voted on top. I've seen both but it's been awhile (seems like a recurring theme for me in this thread).

My vote's for American Werewolf in London.
I vote AWiL as well. The Howling has the better ideas, but is the weaker film.
What I think is even more amazing is how few excellent werewolf movies there are. The fact that we're only debating TWO films here is pretty insane when you think about it. The original THE WOLF MAN is the only other film that I think even deserves to be potentially discussed.

We need more good werewolf movies godammit!

Quote:

I vote AWiL as well. The Howling has the better ideas, but is the weaker film.

I frankly tend to change my mind on which I like more every few years.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Erik Wacker
View Post
I loved Silver Bullet back in the day but haven't seen it in years. I'd hate to find out that it really sucks. Maybe I'll stay away from it.

How is the movie Werewolf of London? I have it because it's in the Wolfman Legacy set, but I've never watched it. I'm planning on watching all of the movies that the Wolf Man is in and didn't know if I should maybe watch it for comparison's sake at least.

It's technically better than you might expect for the day, but pretty slow, and with more comic relief from Spring Byington than ought to be allowed.

I've actually always been fond of Curse of the Werewolf: Oliver Reed's got more physical presence than just about any werewolf save Chaney.
Quote:

Originally Posted by MightyWorm
View Post
I frankly tend to change my mind on which I like more every few years.

I concur.
Getting past the Universal series, the two '81 fan faves, and the Ginger Snaps trilogy, two werewolf films well worth discussing are the Hammer Curse Of The Werewolf and the Paul Naschy film Night Of The Werewolf aka El Retorno del Hombre-Lobo. Naschy's Daninsky Wolf Man movies are practically a weird Creature Corner topic all their own, but I particularly like Night for its great look and werewolf vs vampire babe action. The recent DVD looks amazing.

Oh, and American Werewolf all the way over Howling. The former has characters I really care about (critical when dealing with the whole lycanthrope tragedy) and the latter has... cool fanboy-pleasing cameos. I like The Howling well enough, but the appeal for me is all about the look and the cool FX and other bits. AWIL feels like something that could actually happen to me, as wild as it is. The Landis film takes its humor from how the characters react to the situation, not by taking a mocking Mad magazine approach to the whole story. One way gets me emotionally engaged while the other just amuses me.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gabe Powers
View Post
Seriously guys, you haven't lived until you've seen Project Metalbeast. They decide to make bulletproof werewolves. Why? BECAUSE THEY CAN!

Ok Smartguy, got any leads on were I can see this? I searched Netflix with no luck. I can't live without seeing bulletproof werewolves now.
Because it has come to this, as all werewolf threads do, I'll go with AWIL. Just a far superior movie. The transformation in Howling is cool, but besides that it isn't very memorable.
I like American Werewolf in Paris. Tom Everett falling in love with Julie Delpy is fun, the soundtrack isn't bad and it never gets boring. Yea, cgi wolves suck, but they sucked worse in The Day after Tomorrow and Van Helsing.

About AWIL and AWIP, I never really liked the idea of a wolfman seeing the ones he killed. Wolf is enough, no ghosts needed.

The original Wolfman? Just awesome.
How about werewolf television? Obviously there's good ol' Werewolf, the series. I'm thinking more of werewolf episodes of other shows. I was always a fan of the episode where Oz learns that he's a wolfman on Buffy.

And I haven't seen it since it was new, but I recall really liking the Native American werewolf episode of The X-Files.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackson
View Post
Ok Smartguy, got any leads on were I can see this? I searched Netflix with no luck. I can't live without seeing bulletproof werewolves now.

It isn't on dvd. You can probably buy a VHS off of Amazon or something if you swing that way.

I used to catch it fairly often on SciFi way back when. Those were the days.
Aren't all werewolves bulletproof, providing the bullet is not made of silver?
Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug
View Post

Bulletproof? No. Essentially immune or unharmed by ordinary bullets? Yes.

Except....

As pointed out by Devin recently, this is utter Hollywood invention. Lore does not have werewolves being especially vulnerable to silver.
TV wise I think my favorite werewolf is in Being Human. George is a well written character and the scene where he narrates the transformation in the first season is brilliant.
Anybody else remember the TV show "Werewolf" back in the early days of Fox programming.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCq9nLsB2VI

Hokey as hell, but I have pretty fond memories of it. Sort of an AWIL meets the Hulk(TV).
PROJECT METALBEAST is awesome. When I have more time, I'll be back in this thread. Until then, I leave you with...

And some kickass Frazetta:

"Is Wolfman gonna hafta choke a bitch?"

"YES. Yes he is..."

I vaguely recall an episode of Tales from the Crypt where the vampire parents are gonna feast on the kid only to find out he's a werewolf. TFTC should really be on Netflix or hulu already.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rando
View Post
I vaguely recall an episode of Tales from the Crypt where the vampire parents are gonna feast on the kid only to find out he's a werewolf. TFTC should really be on Netflix or hulu already.

Hey!!! I remember that!

And speaking of transformations, I have to admit that I like the concept of Van Helsing's change (although not the execution). In my mind, there's something fundamentally cool about the werewolf actually bursting through its human flesh. Trick 'r Treat did the same thing in a far more effective manner.

Oh, and here's the Wrightson illustration I was looking for yesterday:
Quote:

View Post

I remember watching that! What a fun episode.

Anyone here who knows me knows Ginger Snaps is one of my favourite movies of all time, I still love the shit out of it after all these years. It has that mixture of dark comedy and horror and sympathetic characters you can really only find in An American Werewolf in London otherwise. I also really enjoy Ginger Snaps 2, it had its own offbeat weird thing going on and I loved Ghost and Burned Barbara and all the junkies in the hospital. The third one was really surprisingly bad and most of the time I try to forget it ever existed.

It's a shame there aren't more great werewolf movies out there, I have a theory that not a lot of decent filmmakers have ever attempted to tackle the genre because of the seemingly daunting transformation scene and all the bad cliches set up by werewolf movies of the past. However, The Wolfman looks amazing and I have high hopes that it's going to change that and get more people putting lycanthropes in their films.

Oh yeah, and Mattioli, that illustration is amazing! I had it as my desktop background for the longest time.
Quote:

View Post

Ah, "The Secret", one of my all time fave TFTCs. Love that ending.

"I have a secret too... AND MINE'S BETTER THAN YOURS!"

Movie wise, I must mention the John Ryhs-Davies werewolf segment in the excellent Waxwork. Thankfully we are spared the Naughton style full on birthday suit transmogrification, but he does turn into a pretty badass looking creature (director Anthony Hickox would go on to make Full Eclipse, which started that whole werewolf cop movie bandwagon rolling)

and Re: Fox's Werewolf... are they ever going to sort out those damn licensing issues for the DVD?
Anyone familiar with Universal's SHE-WOLF OF LONDON television series. Seeing it at the store on DVD was the first I've heard of it, and that's saying something. It was 29.99 with $10 towards THE WOLFMAN in theaters, like all the re-released Wolfman DVDs out now.
They used to show She Wolf of London on the Sci Fi channel many years ago. I remember liking it well enough, but it has been a very long time since I saw the show, so take that for what you will.
I'm going to have to track down this silly-looking flick...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doc Phibes
View Post
Getting past the Universal series, the two '81 fan faves, and the Ginger Snaps trilogy, two werewolf films well worth discussing are the Hammer Curse Of The Werewolf and the Paul Naschy film Night Of The Werewolf aka El Retorno del Hombre-Lobo. Naschy's Daninsky Wolf Man movies are practically a weird Creature Corner topic all their own, but I particularly like Night for its great look and werewolf vs vampire babe action. The recent DVD looks amazing.

Agreed. Watched Naschy's Night Of The Werewolf a few months back and I really dug the atmosphere. My fave out of Naschy's (RIP) bunch.

And I actually like GINGER SNAPS 3 and FULL ECLIPSE, all said. BIG BAD WOLF was a guilty pleasure fo sho and featured Richard Tyson as a wise-cracking Freddy-type wolfman.

EDIT: An old thread that died on the vine: http://www.chud.com/forum/showthread.php?t=92826
Quote:

View Post
If you're looking for a good modern werewolf book, SHARP TEETH is a good'n. It's one of those underground tribes of wolves stories.

I just ordered this from Amazon. Thanks!

Does anyone know if there is any werewolf anime? I'm fairly unversed in that world.
Quote:

View Post

They have to kill the Metalbeast with a silver bazooka rocket because the silver bullets won't go through his skin.