Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Werewolf? Here, here wolf!
Has I WAS A TEENAGE WEREWOLF fallen that much out of favor? Not even one mention!

"But when you talk about destruction

Don't you know that you can count me out (in)"

"Bitchin'! Is this in 3-D?"

"No, but your face is."

"Drunk as hell, but no throwin' up

Half way home and my pager still blowin' up"

"I'm tired of living all alone
yeah, nobody ever calls me on the phone
But when things start getting bad
I just play my music louder"

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fat Elvis
View Post
Has I WAS A TEENAGE WEREWOLF fallen that much out of favor? Not even one mention!

My favorite part about that one was Seth Green being terrorized by Landon-thrope in Stephen King's IT.

Some of my favorite comic book ads were werewolves (courtesy of Jack Davis IIRC)...

Werewolf Prevention Guide
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gabe Powers
View Post
They have to kill the Metalbeast with a silver bazooka rocket because the silver bullets won't go through his skin.

Like so!

I'll always be an AWiL guy over the Howling. The only Howling I ever really got around to liking somewhat was Part VI: The Freaks. Mostly because it had Bruce Payne as an evil vampire who owns a carnival. I can't in good conscience dislike that.
Quote:

Originally Posted by MightyWorm
View Post
Does anyone know if there is any werewolf anime? I'm fairly unversed in that world.

There's a pretty cool werewolf sequence in Hellboy Animated: Blood And Iron, but apologies to all the anime geeks whose balls are exploding because I just implied that American DTV is anime. Not so surprisingly, Hellboy doesn't truck with pussy little silver bullets and finds an appropriately bad ass way to off the beastie.

Quote:

It having not reached DVD might have something to do with it. I had to track it down online. A very interesting flick, good use of metaphor, shitty depiction of psychiatry. It got me interested enough to track down the "I Was A Middle-Aged Werewolf" episode of Highway To Heaven on YouTube. Horribly shitty show, but they cast Michael Berryman as The Devil.
This was a fun little short I found on YouTube:
The Werewolf Solution.
Glad to hear Joe Johnston's flick is worthy of the Universal legacy.
Quote:

Originally Posted by DARKMITE8
View Post
I'm going to have to track down this silly-looking flick...

I'm thinking you would like that one, DM. It's a fairly enjoyable bad movie with cheapo monster and transformation FX, wooden acting, and a Jesus hippie commune instead of gypsies. Watch out for George Gaynes (Lasard from the Police Academy movies) as a psychiatrist who conveniently also happens to be an expert in werewolf lore.

It would probably be quite fun to watch it as part of an all night werewolf movie marathon specifically focusing on 1970s cheese, along with The Beast Must Die, The Werewolf of Washington, Moon of the Wolf and Scream of the Wolf. Kind of see what things were like before the subgenre was rescued by the greatness of AWIL and Dante/Bottin/Donaggio/Picardo/Brooksbush.
This thread got me thinking about kiddie lit featuring werewolves...

Did anyone else read this classic?

and

I swear that I read one called "The Werewolf Wore Braces", but I'll be damned if I can find anything like that. Of course, that recollection could just be some fever dream created from that Cramps' song (I was a teenage werewolf/ Braces on my fangs).
I remember one about a ring that turned a kid into a werewolf that we read in elementary school along with Banicula.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gabe Powers
View Post
I remember one about a ring that turned a kid into a werewolf that we read in elementary school along with Banicula.

Would that be this one?

Everytime the kid twisted the ring, it would turn him into a different beastie. He ends up twisting it one too many times and gets stuck as a monster. I really wanted that ring.
HAHA!! Awesome!! I remember the cover. It was one of those cases where they handed out copies to the whole class to take home.
Just to weigh in on the Werewolf-a-thon; i rewatched The Howling not long since. I had remembered it being great. It was not. I was just bored. Maybe tiredness was a factor, but there we go. I do like the ending mind.

The new Wolfman is pretty good though. Yeah, all the criticisms levelled about the 'missing'/lacking plotlines and dodgy CGI and such apply, but it has Hugo Weaving being awesome and is WAAAY gorier than i was expecting. I approve.

Clearly though, as with most others, AWIL is king. The only thing it is missing is a werewolf surfing on top of a van. I'm sure i've seen that elsewhere though...
I'm not sure how much I like Company of Wolves, I need to see it again. It didn't quite click for me but it's gorgeous to look at and covers most types of werewolf. I also love the werewolf section of Trick R Treat - surprised that hasn't been mentioned here yet.

Only seen Ginger Snaps once and I really want to revisit it, I was ill at the time and kept almost falling asleep which is a shitty way to watch any movie, but I remember it being very good.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cleo
View Post
I'm not sure how much I like Company of Wolves, I need to see it again.

You just need to enjoy the 'ebb and menstrual-flow' of it...it's a bit like an archaic 'Ginger Snaps'...except not.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Coombs
View Post
Whew. So much good werewolf talk. I think we could all use a break.

*This post brought to you by The Beast Must Die!*

I LOVED that movie as a kid. That "werewolf break" business was great.

The Howling has better photography (and an actual score), but AWIL is more fun to me. I left the theater crying when Meat Loaf Jack turned up in the hospital. It was my 11th birthday.

I weighed in on Werewolf of London and Wolf over in the Defense of Werewolves thread. Both have their merits.

Saw this in a discount bookstore. Its title makes no sense:

And don't forget the rich mythology of Fangface.
On a side note, iirc Bill Simmons has a funny bit in his recent book about how Teen Wolf, not Hoosiers, is the ultimate basketball movie.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil
View Post

How? HOW?! Hoooooowwwww is it possible I never saw this show as a kid?! I thought I'd seen the entire ridiculous HB catalog. Especially all the Scooby-Doo knock-offs. USA's Cartoon Express failed me, leaving out what surely would've been one of my favorites.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Doc Phibes
View Post
Getting past the Universal series, the two '81 fan faves, and the Ginger Snaps trilogy, two werewolf films well worth discussing are the Hammer Curse Of The Werewolf and the Paul Naschy film Night Of The Werewolf aka El Retorno del Hombre-Lobo. Naschy's Daninsky Wolf Man movies are practically a weird Creature Corner topic all their own, but I particularly like Night for its great look and werewolf vs vampire babe action. The recent DVD looks amazing.

I like Night of the Werewolf but just barely. It starts off strong with a scene somewhat reminiscent of Bava's Black Sunday and then just sort of sputters along after that.

I really like The Wolf Man (1941), but Werewolf of London (1935) is, from a character/scripting standpoint, superior. It deserves more love.
The Big Bad Wolf was kinda guilty pleasure to me. yeah the gore was there and the story was ok.

Can't forgot the Friday the 13th espisode where the kid gets a cursed video camera and all he wants to do is turn into a werewolf lol.

I didn't like Cursed that much, the werewolf was good concept but i didn't like the story.

The Beast of Bray Road was crappy
Quote:

View Post
I weighed in on Werewolf of London and Wolf over in the Defense of Werewolves thread. Both have their merits.

I meant to comment on that there, buy you are so right.
Quote:

View Post

I found a kiddie record online of Fangs (to reminisce) that someone converted to mp3s. Had a hard time explaining to my daughter what was going on. Hilarious listening to someone "turn into a werewolf" with only audio. I have a few other Halloween/monster radio drama-ish audio files that attempt the same. Adorable. "Oh NO! The full moooooo-eeeaaaarrrgh!"

This thread is "Butch Patrick approved" (via his horror con booth)...

I thought that Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban actually had one of the more original, creepier werewolf designs in the last few years. Much better than Van Helsing or Underworld, that's for sure.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MightyWorm
View Post
Dig it.

Also good. Maybe all songs about werewolves are great.

+1.
Quote:

Originally Posted by User_32
View Post
I thought that Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban actually had one of the more original, creepier werewolf designs in the last few years. Much better than Van Helsing or Underworld, that's for sure.

Too bad you could identify him as a lycanthrope from his driver's license.

Remus Lupin? And he's a werewolf you say? Shocking.

Might has well named him "Fangface McWerewolfenlycan".

I suspect my doctor, Dr. Acula, may be a vampire... and that guy Alucard, who called about the Van Helsing diary? He might be a vamp too. Course, I may just be profiling.

Well, in Rowling's defense, it is kid-lit. I probably would have felt like a master detective at the age of 10 for figuring it out. And then by my first year of Latin my Freshman year? How elementary...

Not mentioned yet is the best WW flick of the 1950s (not saying much!)- The Werewolf. Directed by Fred Sears of Earth Vs the Flying Saucers fame, and available as part of the Sam Katzman DVD collection. It's a twist on the standard Talbot shenanigans, with the lycanthropy coming from mad scientists instead of gypsies. Weird but good mix of monster movie, noir, and western, and features maybe the saddest cinematic werewolf ever- tragic and pathetic as a character, and a right goofy looking fucker to boot. Classic cheesy transformation too, lots of drool.
Quote:

Originally Posted by disciple_72
View Post
and a right goofy looking fucker to boot.

truth!
Quote:

Originally Posted by Disciple_72
View Post
Not mentioned yet is the best WW flick of the 1950s (not saying much!)- The Werewolf. Directed by Fred Sears of Earth Vs the Flying Saucers fame, and available as part of the Sam Katzman DVD collection. It's a twist on the standard Talbot shenanigans, with the lycanthropy coming from mad scientists instead of gypsies. Weird but good mix of monster movie, noir, and western, and features maybe the saddest cinematic werewolf ever- tragic and pathetic as a character, and a right goofy looking fucker to boot. Classic cheesy transformation too, lots of drool.

Oo. Never heard of this one. Added to queue now.
Found a great Henry Hull painting/cover:

I remember this TV series about a women who would turn into a werewolf and fight evil. i remember this one episode where these witches worked at a pizza place and when jerks/powerful men/ ect ect come in they would put special toppings on the pizza to change them. one person got changed into a potted plant. I also remember one got changed into this half man half rat deal. For the life of me I can't remember the show at all. I guess this was the final episode (i think). if anyone knows please please let me know.
She-Wolf of London*/Love & Curses

*not to be confused with the movie of the same name.
Since MightyWorm made this thread a lycanthrope catch-all, here's a shout out to my fave werewolf in video games- Altered Beast, from the arcade game/Sega Genesis. Animated gif of the hero's transformation:

http://members.shaw.ca/tom.t/ab/ab-anim1.gif

Sooooo cool.
Quote:

View Post
Sooooo cool.

heh, just reminded myself of that OTHER great 1980s transformation, Evil Ed reverting back to human form in Fright Night.
Most of the vids were killed in my original post in the Practical Effects thread, so I just edited those out, but here's some of the survivors:
Quote:

Originally Posted by DARKMITE8
View Post
Couldn't help myself= Some werewolf transformations...
The Howling 3 (trailer) because I love it's cheesiness
Monster Squad (Werewolf Transformation)
Ted's Transformation From Bad Moon
Howling VI - Transformation 1
Howling VI - Transformation 2
Howling VI - Transformation 3
Dog Soldiers Transformation

Werewolf Transformation Tribute (to Lordi's 'They only come out at night').

Lycanthropy overload!!!

Some WW stuff from BEING HUMAN.

Ha, forgot about this toon.

Speaking of, here's TEEN WOLF TOO.

This thread is Todd Howard (and the whole Howard clan) approved.

Quote:

View Post
heh, just reminded myself of that OTHER great 1980s transformation, Evil Ed reverting back to human form in Fright Night.

Can we please just get a special edition or Blu-ray transfer of this flick already?!?
Oh, big yes please to a fully loaded high def special edition. Sarandon/Ragsdale/Geoffreys commentary for the win (might be best to skip those filmographies altogether though)