Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
From Dusk 'Til Don: The Blog of Don S.
Awesome blog man, Buesy sounds like a scary dude.

Most of the people I have met at con's have been great. Carrie Fisher for example chatted to me for ages after I told her the best thing she had been in was "The Burbs" (she got it was a joke thankfully). However my childhood was offically raped when I discovered how much of a dick Johnathan Frakes is in real life.
Ask your doctor if my blog is right for you:

http://chud.com/articles/blogs/2897/...039s-Over.html

This week I lament the end of one of my favourite bands of all time.
I have no knowledge of Dream Theater but it is always great to find another Roxette fan. Joyride is by far their best album but I have a soft spot for the mix of live and recorded stuff in Tourism.
I love Joyride, but my favourite has to be Crash Boom Bang.
Long title for this week's blog:

http://chud.com/articles/blogs/2918/...es-Movies.html

This week I discuss vomiting... and connect it to John Hughes.
Good blog my man, I think it's kind of nice when us gents get to play the hero. 3 cons in 3 weeks is a mamouth task and you should be awarded a medal.
I never clicked much with prog and Dream Theater were never my bag but I like the story you tell of your relationship with them. I've loved the shit out of a few bands but none over the course of their entire careers. In fact I can't think of a band who's released more than three albums in a row that I've been crazy about.

I did like Roxette though, and also wore out my Sony Walkman batteries at an alarming rate. As a kid I had a paper round and would play Joyride along with more manly fare like Slippery When Wet, Van Halen's first album, Hysteria, Bryan Adams' Reckless, the Top Gun soundtrack, the Days Of Thunder soundtrack and Thin Lizzy's Dedication. Then, when I was sixteen, Pearl Jam and Nirvana came along and rewired my brainbox and opened another world to me. I haven't listened to a Roxette album for almost couple of decades now, but whenever one of the songs comes on the radio or a vid on TV I'll still enjoy it. Those Swedes know their way around a pop song.

I've never been to a con. We don't have many out here in the South Pacific and every time one comes around I think I'll go check it out but then I remember how much I hate crowds. But I have drunk rum, and will continue to do so.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bucho
View Post
I did like Roxette though, and also wore out my Sony Walkman batteries at an alarming rate. As a kid I had a paper round and would play Joyride along with more manly fare like Slippery When Wet, Van Halen's first album, Hysteria, Bryan Adams' Reckless,

Bucho did you in fact share that paper round with me? Beacause I listend to exaclty the same albums in my Walkman on my round.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Savage
View Post
Bucho did you in fact share that paper round with me? Beacause I listend to exaclty the same albums in my Walkman on my round.

Get OUT Ken! No way! Are you serious?!? That's hilarious.

Next you'll be telling me you recorded C60 tapes of the audio from your VHSs of Top Gun and Young Guns too.
No, but close.

The farm my wife grew up on didn't have electricity so they used a diesel generator to power it. Which meant TV was in short supply. So the 4 kids used to record their favorate films and tv shows onto c60's to listen to them.
I still do that, only digitally now of course. I work on my own a lot and have a bunch of episodes of Futurama, 30 Rock and the Sarah Sliverman Program, as well as about a dozen films, as mp3s. It teaches a gentleman plenty about how important audio is to the storytelling in the cinematic arts if nothing else.
There's a discussion going on in my thread... and I love it.

Bucho: Glad to know another person who likes Roxette. Sadly, the US wasn't kind to this band after Tourism. Crash Boom Bang got limited promotion and release back in 93, and I had to special order it from my local music store just to get it. Sadly, that would be the last album the US would get.

Once the internets became this huge thing I found Roxette's official site and ended up ordering the rest of their albums from it.

As for Dream Theater, I only got into them thanks to my friend, and that just opened my eyes to progressive rock. I just realized that sometimes I like the idea of albums telling a story or just the idea of a concept album in general.

And I completely agree with you in regards to crowds. Not a fan, either. Luckily, the conventions I go to are always smaller. I avoid the big ones just because of the crowds.

I fully appreciate your musical tastes, BTW.

Okay, gentleman - you'll have to educate me - what is a paper round? I will admit that I used to record my favourite shows as well on audio tape, as well as use my tape recorder to record music videos and music from the closing credits of films.
A paper round is where a local shop (or store for you americans) pays a pittance to desperate school children for delivering peoples newspapers to their door. I know you Yanks have something simmilar but I have no idea what it is called.

While i remember Don did you get my PM?
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Savage
View Post
A paper round is where a local shop (or store for you americans) pays a pittance to desperate school children for delivering peoples newspapers to their door. I know you Yanks have something simmilar but I have no idea what it is called.

While i remember Don did you get my PM?

Oh holy crap. I'm an idiot. I misread the context of your usage of the term paper round and thought it had something to do with listening to music. Yeah, I know what that is. We just call it a paper route over here. Man, I feel dumb.

Haven't gotten a PM from you. At least, not yet...
I sent it a last week in regards to a blog Idea i had. I'll send again.
Just got it and replied. Sounds like fun.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Don S.
View Post
I will admit that I used to record my favourite shows as well on audio tape, as well as use my tape recorder to record music videos and music from the closing credits of films.

I knew I couldn't be the only one.
Don't everyone rush up at once - there's plenty for everybody:

http://chud.com/articles/blogs/2939/...or-Elvira.html

Shorter installment this week. I gush about the return of one of my favourite horror show hosts to the television.
I really wish wish we had Elivira in the UK, my only exposure to her is the "Mistress of the dark" flick from the 80's.
Like sands through the hourglass, so are the Dusks of our lives...

http://chud.com/articles/blogs/2959/...e-Part-II.html

This week I bring you a new installment of "Characters, You're Welcome", an idea that a couple of you really liked. I want to try to make this a recurring series. Hopefully, this one doesn't suck.
That's all kinds of brilliant Don.
Why we are enduring Seth McFarlane's Star Wars parodies when we have you is beyond me. Very good.
Wow. That's quite a compliment. Thanks, man!

Been reading your stuff as well. Well done. Looking forward to this Commando tag-team!
Quote:

Originally Posted by Don S.
View Post
Wow. That's quite a compliment. Thanks, man!

Been reading your stuff as well. Well done. Looking forward to this Commando tag-team!

You're very welcome and big thanks back.

I really can't wait. If we can bottle and reproduce just a ounce of that eighties awesomeness we'll have a masterpiece on our hands!
Damn fine stuff man! You have perfectly summed up something that always bugged the hell out of me in ROTJ, top darts!*

As for our Commando review I watched it while recuperating so I'm ready when you guys are.

*I have decided to use quaint old English expressions where ever possible and claim it's a quirky side effect to my surgery.
Fucking loved it Don. LOVED it. Especially where you pick up on where Luke appears in the middle of the briefing and everyone's all like, "Ohai Luke," and he's all like, "Ohai guys." Smooch, smooch. It's very, very rude.
This is an oldie...

Well, it's an oldie where I come from:

http://chud.com/articles/blogs/2983/...are-Scare.html

Originally published on my other site Spwug, I wrote this last October. Since I didn't have time to write up a new blog this week, I thought it would be fun and in the spirit of the season to share this. Enjoy!
Fantastic stuff man. Although pulling stunts like that you must have a hell of a woman for forgiving you.
My initial reaction there was "Evil Genius". That would have actually killed me had I been on the receiving end.
Thanks for the compliments, guys! I have to admit, I'm usually pretty humble when it comes to my writings, but this is one of the few that's I've truly been proud of.

@Ken: She truly is a remarkable woman. Like your wife, she supports my geek loves, and even has a couple of her own. And yes - she is very tolerant of my crazy antics.

@Mike: That's a pretty big compliment, man. Thanks!
It was a great article Don, I loved the handy "print out and keep" feel to it, for scaring on the go!
Sorry for the hiatus, everyone:

http://chud.com/articles/blogs/3012/...s-of-Love.html

Unfortunately, having a rough time getting back into it, so here's a holiday-appropriate selection from my Spwug vault. Enjoy!
Great blog man, glad to have you back.
My "What I'm Thankful For" submission made it to the main page! And it's totally Hallowe'en-themed:

http://bit.ly/aOtgwL
It's new and fresh!

http://chud.com/articles/blogs/3030/...Riff-Raff.html

This week I (over)gush about the RiffTrax event CHUD sponsored last Thursday.
We don't get them over here and I really wish we did. Great blog my good fellow!