Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I Outgrew Aliens: The Blog of Spike Marshall

That was a damn good breakdown, Spike.  I'm still enjoying this season, but you certainly aren't wrong.

I actually still enjoy each episode on it's own terms, it just feels like the show is actively trying to find a rut for itself. It feels like the plan is to make the show run indefinitely now, to get it down to a weekly format rather than serialised run of the past few seasons.

You're absolutely right.  I never even noticed until you mentioned it.  'Tis a shame.

In which I make the case for some underloved villains

http://www.chud.com/40870/great-under-ap...-villains/

Love the shout out for Simon Gruber and the way the third movie flips the relationship between the first film's protagonist/antagonist somewhat.  I also love the fact that both Gruber brothers' "American" accents sound hilarious.  Almost like Ewan McGregor's take on it.  Heheheh

And a nice defense for the man-shaped Labrador!

Glad you liked it Nooj. I kind of realised halfway through that I didn't have much of a case of Haden Church, but I wasn't going to give up on 400 words. It took me like...twenty minutes to write that shit.

Well, the film itself doesn't help your case with the way it handled the character.  So yours was more of a defense of what could have been.  Such a big film ending with a moment of forgiveness between hero and villain is gutsy.  I don't like the film, but I admired what it was trying to do with some of its themes.  Then... the butler happened...

Fantastic offering this week, Spike!  Great topic for a blog.  Wish I had thought of it. And you made some great picks, to boot.  I really enjoyed this one, man.

And for the record, I also love Dance's demonic character in The Golden Child.

Yeah, Charles Dance is always great as a villain. He was quite great in an adaptation of Pratchett's 'Going Postal' last year. I think it's his deadpan skills, he's fantastic at delivery asides and condecension.

Holy cow, you almost convinced me to see Spiderman 3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucho View Post

Holy cow, you almost convinced me to see Spiderman 3.

Spider-Man is a solid 8/10 movie until the last thirty minutes which are SOOOO BAD.

It's worth it for James Franco being great, some really fun stuff with Peter Parker and some fun action sequences in the first half.

Damn good blog Spike. I agree with every single one of your choices, Dance especially makes a great villain in a truly underrated flick.

That was some of the funniest stuff you've ever done, Spike. Your segment on Simon Gruber had me laughing almost as much as Irons' delivery (which you quoted to great effect) and the captions for him and Dance were brilliant.

Three thoughts inspired by The National. Bit more of a personal blog this one, but hopefully entertaining.

http://www.chud.com/42290/three-thoughts...-national/

Why Mask of the Phantasm is my favourite Batman film

http://www.chud.com/44240/spikes-favouri...-phantasm/

Great, Spike!  Makes me want to break out the DVD.

Great blog Spike, as of late i'm leaning to the 60's TV show as my favorate but this blog makes me want to revist the Timm series, which I havent seen in a long time.

In which I discuss Dragon Age 2

http://www.chud.com/45388/the-glorious-f...gon-age-2/

Watching Aliens on TV right now for what must be the 10th time (First time was in the cinema in 1986) and probably the first time in years.

Just dropped by to say that about the statement "I outgrew Aliens" is that you sir, are a monster.

Pfft. I watched "Aliens" in the early 2000s (saw it and the first "Alien" for the first time at the same time) and thought it was excellent. Watched both again a few years ago. Got bored with "Aliens" fairly early (although I still think the end with Ripley fighting the Queen is pretty cool) and now consider "Alien" my second favourite movie of the '70s (after "Halloween"). "Alien" has a perfect, eclectic cast of great actors/characters and enthralling horror movie staging and set pieces.

"Aliens" is full of lame caricatures and dialog and its action sequences are generally forgettable or dumb aside from that last showdown. I've had a lot of disagreements with Spike, but I thought he was really onto something with his "Aliens" re-assessment. Sigourney Weaver's intense performance and James Cameron's solid direction can't make up for the fact that the other characters suck and the action is tedious. I really don't think it has aged well.

The germination of this title is from this discussion here;

http://www.chud.com/community/forum/thre...own-aliens

I've been reading through a lot of your blogs.  Great stuff, Spike!

To reflect on your Bond entry a bit, I often wonder what Brosnan might have been like in the role if he actually had been cast in The Living Daylights (and subsequently, Licence To Kill).  Also, I often feel one of the biggest mistakes of the Brosnan run was killing Trevelyan in Goldeneye.  How much better would The World Is Not Enough have been if it had Trevelyan in place of the Renard character, with Sean Bean reprising his (as far as I'm concerned) classic Bond villain role?

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.D. Bob Plissken View Post

I've been reading through a lot of your blogs.  Great stuff, Spike!

To reflect on your Bond entry a bit, I often wonder what Brosnan might have been like in the role if he actually had been cast in The Living Daylights (and subsequently, Licence To Kill).  Also, I often feel one of the biggest mistakes of the Brosnan run was killing Trevelyan in Goldeneye.  How much better would The World Is Not Enough have been if it had Trevelyan in place of the Renard character, with Sean Bean reprising his (as far as I'm concerned) classic Bond villain role?

Thanks. I’m afraid the formatting is a little off because this is all pre-CHUD 2.0. I feel like I should probably get back to Blogging at some point in the future, might start it up again once Doctor Who is over.

In regards to Bond villains, despite the series having a reputation for great villains I actually think there are only about half a dozen actual effective villains in those movies and at least three of them are from Connery. Alec is probably the best Bond villain in the series since Hugo Drax (I’ve got a lot affection for Max Zorin, but that’s all Walken’s performance the actual character is horrendous) and he would have been an interesting recurring foil to Bond.

Spike, I just watched Mask of the Phantasm for the first time in goodness knows how long yesterday. It's my favourite Batman film too and your blog is almost like a mind-dump of what I was thinking as I revisited it. I can't believe how well it holds up. From the look to the voice work to the score and quality of writing (your Joker quote about the "face all over town" stood out to me as well), it took me right back to primary school when The Animated Series was a major appointment for me.

Also, your Sal caption was truly hilarious. Great stuff, man.

Glad you liked it, that was actually one of my older pieces that I ended up Frankensteining into what it is now. I don't know if my Blog is ever going to come back, but I'm working on a boutique column for the front page which should go out every fortnight or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Marshall View Post
I don't know if my Blog is ever going to come back, but I'm working on a boutique column for the front page which should go out every fortnight or so.

No matter what the subject, I am very much looking forward to reading it!

My pleasure, Spike. It was a fantastic read. I really like the sound of this boutique series. And more blog entries wouldn't go amiss either, of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Marshall
View PostI'm working on a boutique column for the front page which should go out every fortnight or so.

Fuck yeah you are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Marshall View Post

The germination of this title is from this discussion here;

http://www.chud.com/community/forum/thre...own-aliens

I know. I remembered it while I was watching Aliens on TV and specifically came looking for the thread while I was watching it as opposed to stumbling on it by accident. Suffice to say that I don't completely agree with the premise.