Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fine-Toothed Coombs: A Blog
I feel that having a thread in which to log my blog postings will help me stick with it. Plus, I wanted my own thread with an awful pun title. Those are the best.

Here's my latest post. If you like it, check out some of my older ones.
Posted another one real quick as I've been drinking and Wheel of Fortune came on. Couldn't help myself.

I'm aware these aren't very insightful or anything. But then again, neither am I. Just like to blog.
These are good. I can imagine them as "and another thing..." style stand-up bits. Nice pun, sign-off, and tone.

I also enjoy waffles.
Good stuff, I really like your style.
"I will punch you in the back of the head, I don't care how greasy your ponytail is."

I really liked that line.
Thanks for the kind words everyone. Makes me feel successful. Almost as much as my first negative comment I got on my first post. As we all know, that's the true sign of achievement.

Here's my latest. Enjoy it at your own risk.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Coombs
View Post
Thanks for the kind words everyone. Makes me feel successful. Almost as much as my first negative comment I got on my first post. As we all know, that's the true sign of achievement.

This made me laugh as much as the comment about military unsuitability and the mere mention of "Mevin." Oh, and...

Quote:

*A common theme you will find in this blog is that I am an alcoholic.

You keep writing 'em, I'll keep reading 'em.
You're also very welcome, Mr. Coombs.
And here we go again.
In which I discuss Star Wars for likely the first and last time.
In which I talk about The Lost Boys for no particular reason.
I think the Lost Boys did something quite clever that it doesn't get to much credit for. It's basically two movies; one serious one with the older brother and one comedy with the yonger sibling. The two stories do gel together at the end but without much effort you can split them into to films.

I'm probably giving them to much credit but that's always been my take on it anyway.
I think you're right in that regard, but it might be part of what I found so jarring about it. There's a lot I like about each part, but I might have liked the two to halves to intertwine a bit more before the finale.

As is, Michael's story seems a bit rushed. He gets turned, falls off a bridge and wakes up at home. We seemingly spend one afternoon with him day-sleeping and being a bit testy and suddenly Haim's all "You've changed, Michael!" as if its been a week or so.

It's still a lot of fun, though, and certainly has its share of clever moments so I don't regret picking it up on the cheap. It's never been a personal favorite, but I can easily see how some people I know have grown so attached to it.

One thing that made me laugh that I forgot to mention in the blog: After staking Alex Winter in the cave, the Frog brothers get covered in vampire goo. It's all sparkly and shines in the sunlight like glitter. Immediately made me think of Twilight.
In which I'm drunk again. Have fun, all.
Missing out on one Bruce film cameo is harsh but two? I think your family has a conspiracy to not let you star with the big man.

Another great blog!
Another day, another blog. But this time with a special guest!

It should be noted that I started this one as something else before the Bruce Willis entry and just modified it. So, it seemingly was written in the past. Just pretend your reading blogs through time.
I have no idea.
I already apologize for that last post.
Not much of a change over the last blog, but I'm serious. Plot the course of my film discussion. The last few blogs might not be indicative of my cinema knowledge, but I'm much more versed than you might think. I often play the fool for entertainment's sake. Together we can cover some interesting stuff.
Done some catching up today. Loved your Lost Boys entry. The puns were CHUD Show-worthy. You have my sympathies on the Die Harder and Jackal stories. Here's to hoping one day you can square off against Declan Mulqueen onscreen as yourself with nothing but your wits as weaponry (possibly, in a crossover with Bruno? There's Die Hard 5 right there!)

Loving the drinking references and apologies for blog posts. They really tickle me. Even though I wasn't first, if But I'm A Cheerleader doesn't peel your orange, may I suggest Blue Velvet? I imagine your views on that flick, a few drinks in, would be something.
Haha, I get a kick out of reading these the next day. Some, like the Die Hard 2 entry, I don't recall writing at all. It's all very true, I just don't remember sharing. Lost Boys might be my favorite entry merely for making a Solarbabies reference.

One night, if I'm really low on ideas, I might share some of the amazing fiction I write while hammered. It is the most terrible, melodramatic stuff ever. I once wrote 2/3 of a short story full titled "It Was a Cold Windy Day When I Shot Her"

Blue Velvet is not a bad choice at all. It's been ages since I've watched any of it, so I'd pretty much be a blank, albeit whiskey-soaked, slate. I'll certainly consider putting it on tap.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Coombs
View Post
One night, if I'm really low on ideas, I might share some of the amazing fiction I write while hammered. It is the most terrible, melodramatic stuff ever. I once wrote 2/3 of a short story full titled "It Was a Cold Windy Day When I Shot Her"

By the sound of it, that's less a last resort than an ace up your blogging sleeve! Please tell me the first line of that story was verbatim the title, in a very McSweeney's fashion.

Excellent news on the Lynchian front, by the way. Whiskey and all.
Keep em coming Coombs, you are on fire.
As always fellas, thanks for the kind words.

Here's a nice blog to tide you over before some real fun shit hits the Chudosphere.
One of the more exciting dream career choices I had as a child was astronaut. It's probably just as well that was short-lived. The logistical nightmares bound up with any potential Irish Space Program would've put paid to that fantasy soon enough.

Looking forward to these movie-specific posts!
I always wanted to be a Marine Archaeologist, I had a teacher in school that did this part time and he always had cool stories to tell.

Somehow I ended up working in computers.
Why not just be a comedy detective who solves crimes more or less by accident? Your first move is to hire an attractive, smart sidekick who'll do the actual sleuthing and saving of your ass while you bumble around comically thinking you're actually good.

And my dream as a child was to be a woman. Katherine Turner more specifically.
I've always been an "Encyclopedia Brown" fan. Read them all through elementary. If there are new ones, I may check them out for nostalgia.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bucho
View Post
Why not just be a comedy detective who solves crimes more or less by accident? Your first move is to hire an attractive, smart sidekick who'll do the actual sleuthing and saving of your ass while you bumble around comically thinking you're actually good.

And my dream as a child was to be a woman. Katherine Turner more specifically.

Post of the day - nay, week.
*taps fingers bashfully on desk*
Sorry! My laptop finally died (it was quite old and amazingly beat-up. Lasted longer than I thought). I'm using computers as I find them/am able so blogging will be sporadic. Will probably pick-up midweek.
No apology necessary, sir (sorry to hear about the problem, by the way.) I just felt a pang that a few hundred intoxicated words could've sated. Looking forward to more.
I love your blog Mr Coombs I demand you find a way to do it

In all seriousness I do enjoy reading it so fingers crossed we can see another entry soon.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Savage
View Post
I love your blog Mr Coombs I demand you find a way to do it

You better do what he says, Mr! He'll be in power, by the end of the week. By month's end... who knows how far Kentopia's borders will stretch?

Vote Skeletor: May 6!
Got myself a computer for the near future! So blogfans meet back here about this time tomorrow for the long-awaited next entry: my review/impressions of Blue Velvet* It's been a hectic hiatus, but we're back in business!

*While not the first in the list, it was the first film I could get my hands on.