Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shia LaBeouf: We botched the last Indiana Jones
Quote:

The last time Shia LaBeouf came to Cannes, in 2008, it was to promote "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull," the revival of the swashbuckling adventure franchise that went on to earn a whopping $787 million around the world. LaBeouf is back on the Croisette this weekend to flog "Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps," another revival of a classic from several decades ago. But he's not willing to forget about what he says were rampant problems with Indy 4 -- and he doesn't expect fans to, either.

"I feel like I dropped the ball on the legacy that people loved and cherished," LaBeouf said, explaining that this upped the ante for him before he began shooting the "Wall Street" sequel. "If I was going to do it twice, my career was over. So this was fight-or-flight for me."

Meeting with reporters Saturday on a terrace at the Hotel du Cap, he had some strong, confessional words about his acting in the film, which he said he felt didn't convince anyone that he was the action hero the movie claimed him to be. "You get to monkey-swinging and things like that and you can blame it on the writer and you can blame it on Steven [Spielberg, who directed]. But the actor's job is to make it come alive and make it work, and I couldn't do it. So that's my fault. Simple.

LaBeouf said that he could have kept quiet, especially given the movie's blockbuster status, but didn't think the film had fooled anyone. "I think the audience is pretty intelligent. I think they know when you've made ... . And I think if you don't acknowledge it, then why do they trust you the next time you're promoting a movie." LaBeouf went on to say he wasn't the only star on the film who felt that way. "We [Harrison Ford and LaBeouf] had major discussions. He wasn't happy with it either. Look, the movie could have been updated. There was a reason it wasn't universally accepted."

LaBeouf added, "We need to be able to satiate the appetite," he said. "I think we just misinterpreted what we were trying to satiate."

Asked whether this was difficult to say, given his deep relationship with Spielberg, LaBeouf continued with the directness.

"I'll probably get a call. But he needs to hear this. I love him. I love Steven. I have a relationship with Steven that supersedes our business work. And believe me, I talk to him often enough to know that I'm not out of line. And I would never disrespect the man. I think he's a genius, and he's given me my whole life. He's done so much great work that there's no need for him to feel vulnerable about one film. But when you drop the ball you drop the ball."

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/movi...spielberg.html
This is just unprofessional. Shia also blasted Transformers 2, but still needs to apologize for the first Transformers and Eagle Eye while he's perched high on his horse.
Opening of Indy V:

Sallah: Indy! How is you son?
Indy: Dead. From Anal Cancer.

Yeah, bridges being torched..
he must be stopped
I can't wait for his thoughts on Russell Crowe's Irish-sounding accent in "Robin Hood."
Not a smart business move, but as a fan of film I appreciate the candor.
He claims that he said this so that people would be able to trust him when promoting a movie. This makes no sense. If anything, wouldn't this make people trust him less? I understand the business of Hollywood. You have to do a media blitzkrieg for a film regardless of the film's quality, but if people know that you have a track record of hyping a movie to be great and then bashing the product after you've taken their money, they're going to think twice before seeing any of your shit.
Must have already been some falling out between him and the Beard to now publicly make these remarks.
Quote:

Originally Posted by FilmNerdJamie
View Post
Must have already been some falling out between him and the Beard to now publicly make these remarks.

Or he could be a retard with daddy issues who does shit like get drunk and break his hand almost immediately prior to the commencement of production of a major Hollywood blockbuster. Either/or.
Quote:

Originally Posted by HarleyQuinn22
View Post
He claims that he said this so that people would be able to trust him when promoting a movie. This makes no sense. If anything, wouldn't this make people trust him less? I understand the business of Hollywood. You have to do a media blitzkrieg for a film regardless of the film's quality, but if people know that you have a track record of hyping a movie to be great and then bashing the product after you've taken their money, they're going to think twice before seeing any of your shit.

Yeah, this is a reverse "Cosby and Leonard Part 6" kind of thing.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cuchulain
View Post
Or he could be a retard with daddy issues who does shit like get drunk and break his hand almost immediately prior to the commencement of production of a major Hollywood blockbuster. Either/or.

Always had a suspicion the Beard got him out of that one. As I recall, wasn't he driving drunk and hit another car. Yet the other guy got in trouble?
No I think the other guy was drunk and caused the accident.
Apology rejected.
So hang on, if actors blow smoke up our arse that's fine and we expect them to be phony, and now we're shitting on a guy who's actually attempting to drop the bullshit and try to get a little honest about his career?

I'm not a fan of LeBouf either guys, but I certainly respect him a little more for this.
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Rain Dog
View Post
So hang on, if actors blow smoke up our arse that's fine and we expect them to be phony, and now we're shitting on a guy who's actually attempting to drop the bullshit and try to get a little honest about his career?

I'm not a fan of LeBouf either guys, but I certainly respect him a little more for this.

He's trying to drum up attention for a current movie he's working on, by doing something unprofessional and a little distasteful. No respect granted, sir.
Quote:

View Post

Respect him for throwing the people he works with under the bus?

It's one thing if he would just come out and critique himself, but when he starts dropping names and bringing other people under the gun, that's just unprofessional.
I highly...Disagree with Shia Lebouf's statements about...Indiana Jones IV, and Transformers Revenge Of The Fallen, as they both are exceptional films that do not need to be apolgized for.
On one hand, it helps that he can at least admit when he fucked up as an actor. Not a lot of young actors are willing to do that. But I agree that when he starts going after the movie itself, that's kind of bad, to put it mildly.

That said, he's not saying anything here that we weren't all saying when the movie came out two years ago.
He should start early and bash Transformers 3 now.
Quote:

Originally Posted by FilmNerdJamie
View Post

You're reaching. This was just a misguided attempt to honestly critique his recent high profile failures. I found it refreshing.

That said he should have thrown in an apology for Holes.
Now I rock a house party at the drop of a hat
It says something about how protected the guy is or thinks he is. How many actors have ever, during the decades of Spielberg's career, once were quoted that Spielberg did wrong or made a bad film? I'm not praising or condemning the guy, but few in his biz have that level of security to shoot their mouth off like that.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Doc Phibes
View Post
It says something about how protected the guy is or thinks he is. How many actors have ever, during the decades of Spielberg's career, once were quoted that Spielberg did wrong or made a bad film? I'm not praising or condemning the guy, but few in his biz have that level of security to shoot their mouth off like that.

Only Crispin Glover's "poetry".
It's not security, it's not understanding that the most powerful man in showbiz is being nice to you because you're an asset currently of use to him, not because he's a surrogate father. He's in for a deservedly rude awakening.
Yeah, it's going to help drum up publicity, but is this that much different to Spielberg shitting on Temple Of Doom?
This was a great move for him. His days as Spielberg's golden boy are over. He's getting too old, he doesn't have that cute look anymore. He needs to cross over to new movies. But he (or his people) know that his image will follow him around, so he needs to publicly cut his ties to that image. Throwing CRYSTAL SKULL under the bus is no big deal - even Spielberg doesn't like it. He calls it George's movie.
Quote:

Originally Posted by AdrianDyka
View Post
Yeah, it's going to help drum up publicity, but is this that much different to Spielberg shitting on Temple Of Doom?

I don't recall Spielberg dropping any name other than his own when apologizing for TOD. That would be the difference here, and a big one, if I am remembering correctly.
Devin is correct and Crystal Skull is not sacred ground. Wall Street 2 will be pretty important for Shia lets see how that plays out.
What does the quality of the movie have to do with the issue of treating people like crap?
Point taken. I was just bouncing off Dev's post.
Quote:

View Post

Have to agree with The Rain Dog, if the article had Shia praising KotCS we'd be tearing his head off. It's refreshing to hear an actor talk like that. He takes responsibility for the monkey swinging, which to be honest, he doesn't need to.

I've never understood the LeBeouf hate. I may be sticking my neck out here, but I thought he was the best thing in KotCS, he was certainly putting the most effort in.
What exactly is unprofessional about being honest? The film's not great and I'm sure if you asked Spielberg he'd say the same thing. It's better than pretending they didn't fuck it up.
I might have been born yesterday sir, but I stayed up all night!
I can't see Spielberg publically admitting Indy 4 was awful. Unless they make another one.
Even though Devin is right about why he's saying that now, I have to ask. Why is admitting your painfully obvious mistakes unprofessional? Accepting responsibility for sub-par performance is quite professional. He wasn't gossiping or making snide remarks about other peoples' character. He just said that they weren't able to make the movie work as it should.
So, next time he'll repeat this? "Oh, that movie I advertised eight months ago? Sorry, wasn't good. And those involved know."

If he truly thought so during the promotion of Indy he simply shouldn't have said that it's awesome. Actors who don't want to lie mostly fall back on saying how much fun they had shooting. See Morgan Freeman. He says he loves to work with Nolan and Bale, but I don't remember him ever saying Batman Begins itself was great (in fact he said that it sucked). Actors may be contracted to promote and not disturb a flicks campaign, but that doesn't include false statements. Actors shouldn't "act" in promotional interviews.