Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shia LaBeouf: We botched the last Indiana Jones
Ironically, Shia was one of Crystal Skull's few bright spots! If anything worked in TF2, it was residu goodwill from the first one concerning Sam's relationship with Bee and Prime.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Myers
View Post
If he truly thought so during the promotion of Indy he simply shouldn't have said that it's awesome.

Where does he claim that he knew it sucked from the get-go? I'm pretty sure they thought they'd pulled it off until the finished product hit.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Myers
View Post
So, next time he'll repeat this? "Oh, that movie I advertised eight months ago? Sorry, wasn't good. And those involved know."

If he truly thought so during the promotion of Indy he simply shouldn't have said that it's awesome. Actors who don't want to lie mostly fall back on saying how much fun they had shooting. See Morgan Freeman. He says he loves to work with Nolan and Bale, but I don't remember him ever saying Batman Begins itself was great (in fact he said that it sucked). Actors may be contracted to promote and not disturb a flicks campaign, but that doesn't include false statements. Actors shouldn't "act" in promotional interviews.

True, but I think in the heat of the release a lot of actors and filmmakers kind of don't want to think of their baby as the antichrist and their experience of production adding up to naught. Then when it's done and dusted and the public/critical response comes in they admit to themselves, and everyone else, that it was indeed another brick in the wall of cinema's rape dungeon.

But no doubt there are plenty on the BS train and it's fun to read the odd sort of qualified praise Michael Bay gets from his co-workers. I think there's actually some level of pride in having survived one of his productions so a lot of bad shit gets forgiven.

I caught Disturbia a few months ago and Shia was actually pretty good. Devin's probably right in that he's ready to move on from that charming, overly-energetic teen thing now though.

Cheers
I don't think he said anything out of line at all. I appreciate the honesty. At least he's saying something worth hearing while he's promoting his new film. Many of you are totally overreacting. Its folks like you that get us boring bullshit interviews all the time because everyone is afraid of the reaction they might get if they say something honest. Grow up.
I've never cared much for Shia, but this level of candor takes a lot of guts. If the motive was indeed to distance himself from his image and the subpar films he's appeared in thus far, then his strategy is certainly working it's magic on me.
Also, are we forgetting George Clooney offering to give anyone who can prove they saw Batman & Robin their money back? Or Michael Caine saying that he did Jaws IV for the money? Kevin Smith has made a nice second career talking trash about other people's movies and the people he's worked with, from Reese WItherspoon to Linda Fiorentino. There are commentaries for certain movies that are basically extended apologies. How is this different? Because it's Spielberg?
When did Morgan Freeman say Batman Begins sucks? I don't ever recall that, he only seems to have good things to say about the franchise.

As for Shia doing this - who cares? I don't think Indy IV is something that Spielberg is going to be heartbroken about or even cares that much about. Plus, as someone who doesn't know these people personally - I like reading their candid thoughts as oppossed to repeating statements invented by marketing.
But he needs to hear this. I love him. I love Steven. I have a relationship with Steven that supersedes our business work. And believe me, I talk to him often enough to know that I'm not out of line. And I would never disrespect the man. I think he's a genius, and he's given me my whole life. He's done so much great work that there's no need for him to feel vulnerable about one film. But when you drop the ball you drop the ball."

Heh I think that relationship is about to undergo a major downturn.

Thing is, he's not saying anything everybody in the world didn't know.

And if I'm a Studio head I might look at the Box Office for Shia's films, shrug and think "as long as he keeps his fucking mouth shut for a couple of years after the film's release, I'm cool with it"
I love it when actors become honest when a movie sucks ass. Ben Affleck dissing Gigli on SNL, Actors who come and receive their razzies, LLCoolJ admiting to lying on Conan Obrien's show about how Roller Balls "quality", and other examples.

Is it the fact that you guys just don't like Shia (who is an overexposed mediocre talent)? I don't recall this much hate when Mathew Goode said Leap Year wasn't his best movie.
Quote:

Originally Posted by RathBandu
View Post
How is this different? Because it's Spielberg?

Because it's Shia. He doesn't have the oeuvre of Clooney or Michael Caine or even Kevin fucking Smith. And because he was doing it to promote a movie that, by all accounts, is not only not good but an unnecessary sequel just like the movies he is bashing.

I think he's a talented guy and was definitely was a huge part of what made Transformers enjoyable for me, but this rubs me the wrong way.
Is there a DOUBLE STANDARD when it comes to shitty movies that bomb (gigli, cat woman) versus shitty movies that make money (Adam Sandler movies, Transformers, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull)?
Again, why does the quality of the film make any difference?

It's common courtesy to not drop names and throw coworkers under the bus, in any form of business. Hell, it's just good form in all walks of life.

Why are we discussing the film's quality?
Certain actors/directors get credit from the entertainment industry as well as fans when they dismiss the quality of shit movies that bomb while others get their careers sidetracked...

For Instance, everybody in the Industry loved when Sandra Bullock, Tom Green, Paul Verhoven, and Halle Berry picked up their Razzies in person. Picking up your Razzie is an admission that the movie sucked. Was it because they "won" the specific awards for their acting/directing and not accepting on behalf on one of their coworkers?

Ben Affleck got kudos for doing a parody of the filming of Gigli on Saturday Night Live 5 years ago.

Is it tone, or was it because they were not "throwing their coworkers under the bus" as you said Agent Z?
I'm not sure where he's throwing anyone under a bus, really. He seems to take the weight of responsibility for it.

Patrick, where did you hear the negative press about MONEY NEVER SLEEPS?
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rourkefan
View Post
Certain actors/directors get credit from the entertainment industry as well as fans when they dis the quality of shit movies that bomb while others get their careers sidetracked...

For Instance, everybody in the Industry loved when Sandra Bullock, Tom Green, Paul Verhoven, and Halle Berry picked up their Razzies in person. Picking up your Razzie is an admission that the movie sucked. Was it because they "won" the specific awards for their acting/directing and not accepting on behalf on one of their coworkers?

Ben Affleck got kudos for doing a parody of the filming of Gigli on Saturday Night Live 5 years ago.

Is it tone, or was it because they were not "throwing their coworkers under the bus" as you said Agent Z?

Regardless of whether or not said stars benefit from going that route, I just think it's bad form.

I'm old school, I guess. If a coworker comes to me and blows off some steam about the workplace, it stays there, in that conversation. I don't go and then kill that confidentiality later on down the line.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Merriweather
View Post
I'm not sure where he's throwing anyone under a bus, really. He seems to take the weight of responsibility for it.

Well, he brings up Harrison in the interview. So, how is that fair to Ford, who now has to have that spotlight on him for something he told Shia in confidence?

It's funny. When this happens in sports, fans are all up in arms about it. However, when we are discussing movies, it seems to be cool and rebel, even though it is still a team concept. Strange.
Shia didn't say anything here to personally slog or slander anybody he worked with. He's not divulging on set fights or arguments, misconduct or other such secret or privileged information. He was talking about the film proper, and gave his opinion on how he didn't think it was everyone's best work, saving the harshest criticism for himself. Oh, that rascal, him.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Clark
View Post
Shia didn't say anything here to personally slog or slander anybody he worked with. He's not divulging on set fights or arguments, misconduct or other such secret or privileged information.

Sure he did. Have you heard Ford come out and say that he was not happy with the direction/concept of the film up to this point?

Ford may feel that way, but shouldn't Harrison be the one to come out and say it? Shouldn't Shia have respected Ford's privacy?
It would be unprofessional to trash the movie at the time, while he was out promoting it. A certain amount of bullshitting goes along with your contract. But at this point, so long after the fact, the "statute of limitations" has run out I would think.
Quote:

Originally Posted by RathBandu
View Post
On one hand, it helps that he can at least admit when he fucked up as an actor.

Isn't this how Shia does everything these days? On one hand?
Quote:

Originally Posted by Agent Z
View Post
Sure he did. Have you heard Ford come out and say that he was not happy with the direction/concept of the film up to this point?

Ford may feel that way, but shouldn't Harrison be the one to come out and say it? Shouldn't Shia have respected Ford's privacy?

I've never heard Danny Glover come out and talk about how he only did Operation Dumbo Drop to buy a new boat, but Denis Leary went ahead and told us about it. That bastard!
Quote:

Originally Posted by Timothy Q
View Post
I don't think he said anything out of line at all. I appreciate the honesty. At least he's saying something worth hearing while he's promoting his new film. Many of you are totally overreacting. Its folks like you that get us boring bullshit interviews all the time because everyone is afraid of the reaction they might get if they say something honest. Grow up.

Exactly.
While I appreciate the apology for indy 4, its pretty unnessesary coming from Shia. I thought most of the problems with that movie started at the script level and by the time the actors arrived it was too late.

Also I have no problem with his comments. The overall tone was basically: We tried our best, it didn't work, I'm sorry. Its not like he called Speilberg a hack or said Ford sleepwalked through it all.
I think Spielberg already commented on how he feels about Kingdom of the Crystal Skull with this featurette.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WBAi...eature=related

"I'm done, George."
"Aliens? No way!"
"No!"
"NO!"
"...ok."
Quote:

Originally Posted by Agent Z
View Post
Well, he brings up Harrison in the interview. So, how is that fair to Ford, who now has to have that spotlight on him for something he told Shia in confidence?

I dunno if Ford cares. In 2008, on Conan O'Brien, Conan asked Ford why he hadn't brought any clips for "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull". Ford replied "Well, to tell you the truth, it really isn't very good" in a serious tone of voice. He then went on as if he were only joking, saying that Spielberg wanted people to experience the movie raw and unspoiled. BUT HE DID PUT IT OUT THERE.

Shia, doing it ages later, doesn't seem so brave.
Quote:

Originally Posted by User_32
View Post
I think Spielberg already commented on how he feels about Kingdom of the Crystal Skull with this featurette.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WBAi...eature=related

"I'm done, George."
"Aliens? No way!"
"No!"
"NO!"
"...ok."

Yeah, the subtitle of that featurette should be: how to browbeat a Hollywood legend.
http://www.tu.tv/videos/harrison-for...-conan-o-brien

Harrison's 2008 "Crystal Skull" promotion interview.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan Resnick
View Post
I dunno if Ford cares. In 2008, on Conan O'Brien, Conan asked Ford why he hadn't brought any clips for "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull". Ford replied "Well, to tell you the truth, it really isn't very good" in a serious tone of voice. He then went on as if he were only joking, saying that Spielberg wanted people to experience the movie raw and unspoiled. BUT HE DID PUT IT OUT THERE.

Shia, doing it ages later, doesn't seem so brave.

Arg! I was beaten to posting this story. Thats what I get for starting work late

I am not sure how brave Ford really was though, because he tried to cover up his remarks by pretending they were a joke. Shia flat out admited the movie shamed the IJ Legacy.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick Ripoll
View Post
Because it's Shia. He doesn't have the oeuvre of Clooney or Michael Caine or even Kevin fucking Smith. And because he was doing it to promote a movie that, by all accounts, is not only not good but an unnecessary sequel just like the movies he is bashing.

I think he's a talented guy and was definitely was a huge part of what made Transformers enjoyable for me, but this rubs me the wrong way.

Oh come on. Is his film career that much worse than, say Harrison Ford in the 70's-early 80's? Transformer's works because of Shia's presence (I'd say it's 70% FX, 20% Shia and 10% Megan Fox's bod). He's also the best part of Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, holding his own with Harrison Ford (and I thought the two had a nice chemistry). Haven't seen Disturbia but people seem to like it.

So he's lucked into two mammoth blockbuster franchises. Now maybe he'll do some smaller, more serious roles.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cylon Baby
View Post
Oh come on. Is his film career that much worse than, say Harrison Ford in the 70's-early 80's? Transformer's works because of Shia's presence (I'd say it's 70% FX, 20% Shia and 10% Megan Fox's bod). He's also the best part of Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, holding his own with Harrison Ford (and I thought the two had a nice chemistry). Haven't seen Disturbia but people seem to like it.

So he's lucked into two mammoth blockbuster franchises. Now maybe he'll do some smaller, more serious roles.

Are you saying he IS as good as Michael Caine or George Clooney? That he's done any work comparable to Ford's Han Solo?

I LIKE Shia, but he's not passed into that next level. And it's not hard to hold your own with Harrison Ford in a movie where Harrison Ford doesn't give a shit about what he's doing.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan Resnick
View Post

He was joking. It was an obvious setup for him to do so. He even starts the interview by saying "I think it's good."

Or was he.......? *cue echo effect*

ETA: I had forgotten how much fun cranky Ford on Conan was.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cylon Baby
View Post
Transformer's works because of Shia's presence (I'd say it's 70% FX, 20% Shia and 10% Megan Fox's bod).

10% of that equation just left town.
Quote:

Originally Posted by User_32
View Post
He should start early and bash Transformers 3 now.

He already has. He said a week or two ago that he knows TF3 won't challenge him as an actor, but the kid in him knows he'll have some kind of fun anyways. That's kind of a backhanded compliment, really.

P.S. People "surprised" by Shia's candor should really read more magazine interviews with him, especially the two he's done for GQ.
Quote:

Originally Posted by BTSMGL
View Post
P.S. People "surprised" by Shia's candor should really read more magazine interviews with him, especially the two he's done for GQ.

Shia's Playboy interview was very memorable. It's interesting how Steven hangs out with him and Harrison will call him to offer encouragement at times, such as when Shia was in his accident and being grilled by the media. You get the sense that Shia is more than just a new passing fresh face to them. He admits to being overwhelmed and kinda treading the whirlwind of celebrity. You can see him still finding his way, obviously.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick Ripoll
View Post
Are you saying he IS as good as Michael Caine or George Clooney? That he's done any work comparable to Ford's Han Solo?

I LIKE Shia, but he's not passed into that next level. And it's not hard to hold your own with Harrison Ford in a movie where Harrison Ford doesn't give a shit about what he's doing.

I'm saying it's an Apples to Oranges comparison. What was Clooney doing at the same point in his film career? Batman & Robin! Michael Caine's appeared in roughly 5,000 films and is a character actor as well as a sometime leading man so that is also an unfair comparison.
Shia is Adrian Zmed with a better agent. IMHO.