Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scott Pilgrim vs. the World Post Release
AThe only good thing in this self-important bore of a movie is Chris Evans.
A[quote name="Schwartz" url="/community/t/125192/scott-pilgrim-vs-the-world-post-release/1200#post_3270690"]Way, way late to the party, but man this film was a blast.  Definitely my favorite Wright film, although I'm probably alone here in liking Shaun the least of the three.  I would agree with some of the criticisms here in that Scott and Ramona's relationship wasn't an all-timer, mostly because the compression of the story made them pogo from the nascent stages to the break up to a reunion/retry without time for them to really be together.  Since they're never really together before they're breaking up, there's no time for our investment in her as Scott's dream girl to shift into investment in an actual relationship.

But I don't even close to care, because it could be a relationship between Norman Bates and Pol Pot's exhumed corpse and I'd still watch the movie twice for the supporting cast.  There's a saying I think is attributed to Ebert about whether you'd want to watch the characters in a movie just sit and eat lunch, and this movie has over a dozen that I would happily watch chow down.  Culkin is the most obvious scene stealer, but Alison Pill does almost as much with far, far less.  Watching it a second time, I went into convulsions at her doing absolutely nothing in the background of the opening shot of Scott and Young Neil at Julie's party.  I mean literally nothing.  She doesn't move a muscle for about 10 seconds, she isn't standing with anyone, doesn't breathe and doesn't blink (actually I'm almost positive she doesn't blink once in the entire movie).

I never got around to seeing Superman Returns, but all of a sudden I want Brandon Routh to be in everything.   I don't know why I slept on this for so long, but this is one of those times I thank God for Chud, or else I might never have made my way back to it after it slipped out of theaters.[/quote]

Marry me Schwartz.

Thought this was a nice little video on how Wright uses transitions in the movie.

AMichaelC will appreciate

Still love this movie. I giggle throughout.

But it is funny how it's been all but forgotten in the mainstream. I've asked a lot of people who have never seen it.

AIt has to be known in the mainstream to be forgotten from it.

I'm also a fan and think that it's a real shame it didn't make its mark on release. There's probably an interesting essay to be written (Baaaaaart?) on just why it didn't find and resonate with an audience, as I think it's a wonderful piece of film-making (as the above video points out). Wikipedia says it has a cult following but I'm not sure how you quantify that. Still, Wikipedia wouldn't lie to us.... would it? *Cut to shot of Wikipedia slowly reaching for a knife*

ALET IT BE FORGOTTEN

AI still dig this flick.

The film's a technical wonder. Editing, camera work, effects - incredibly well done.

A[quote name="MichaelM" url="/community/t/125192/scott-pilgrim-vs-the-world-post-release/1230#post_4152950"]The film's a technical wonder. Editing, camera work, effects - incredibly well done.
[/quote]

And Vegan Superman is great as the bassist for Captain Marvel!

In fact, I like Brie Larson's cover of Black Sheep better then the original. The soundtrack to this film is in regular rotation in my car.

Evans and Routh shine in their small roles, too.

Too bad about the leads.

AEven two pages back in this thread it becomes a whole different world. 2011! Princess Kate! Netflix "rentals"!
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSaxon View Post

Thought this was a nice little video on how Wright uses transitions in the movie.

I kinda question how much that video waxes poetic about the transitions in the film speak to Scott's perception of the world.  Certainly it is that... but it's also just the way Wright has made his movies (and TV show) for over a decade.  Incredibly well, obviously and I have such love for the specificity of his craft.   And his work in Scott Pilgrim really pushes the style he'd been nurturing all that time (which is what made him the perfect director to adapt the comic to begin with).

But in regards to how well Nerdwriter produces his video essays, I can't get too into them the way I do the more practical craft-based approach of Tony Zhou because Nerdwriter's videos always seem to push the DEEEEP poetical waxing to end his videos on MAXIMUM uplift.

AND I HAVE GROWN TO DISTRUST SUCH THINGS.

ICY COLD HEART

As for SCOTT PILGRIM, I've had conversations about the film over the years that have brought down my overall glee toward the movie.  I still have lots of fun with it, but I think the movie stumbles over the finale in a way that becomes more apparent when you know how Wright originally intended to end the film compared to how O'Malley was going to end his comic.  It's a sensation I ignored in the excitement of seeing the movie for the first time, but I did always feel that the ending didn't quite work.  Because it didn't seem like the ending that the rest of the movie was building to, so the disconnect feels out of the ordinary for someone as stylistically and narratively meticulous as Wright.

This conversation gets complicated because different people have different reactions to the idea of "who Scott should end up with: Ramona or Knives?" and it comes with all sorts of baggage either way.  I've come to the conclusion that Scott really shouldn't "end up" with anybody.  It feels more 'mature' for the movie to end with him being friends with Knives and Ramona going off to deal with her own baggage first instead of simply being a part of Scott working through his issues.  But a movie that wants to be fun video-game-styled story about a guy winning the girl at the end isn't gonna do that, I guess.

Either that, or have Ramona be the one to defeat Gideon (instead of kneeing his nuts and getting slapped and falling down some stairs in order to motivate Scott).  But since it's not HER story, all of her issues/baggage are visualized by the visual shortcut of the 'mind control chip' on her neck (which I always found a bit cheap).

Real life?  I don't think Scott should be with Knives, despite the feeling that the film was building to that.  But the ending that Wright shifted to when O'Malley expressed his concerns about that ending didn't really work for me either.

STILL

FUN FILM!

AStill a favorite of mine. The kind of movie my friends and I will just quote randomly for kicks. "No vegan diet, NO VEGAN POWERS!"

For some reason, this seems like a movie Stocks wouldn't really like!

AAn awful movie that looks stunning.
A[quote name="mcnooj82" url="/community/t/125192/scott-pilgrim-vs-the-world-post-release/1200_50#post_4153022"]For some reason, this seems like a movie Stocks wouldn't really like!
[/quote]

I'll take it over any Marble Cinnamon.

Yeah, but that's not saying much!

AThe ending in the comics felt much more earned than it did the film, if only because these characters' arcs were much longer and significantly more nuanced.

In the film, both versions of the ending feel not-quite-right. Of course, the comics weren't completed when they had to write an ending for the film, so they didn't have the advantage of having the source material to lend a hand in clarifying the character arcs.
A[quote name="mcnooj82" url="/community/t/125192/scott-pilgrim-vs-the-world-post-release/1200_50#post_4153037"]Yeah, but that's not saying much!
[/quote]

Touché. To make it clear, I merely like the best Marvel offers whereas I ADORE Scott Pilgrim.

Ugh, that Marvel wouldn't let Wright do his magic with ANT-MAN is a shame. They could have had something amazing rather than adequate.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Agentsands77 View Post

The ending in the comics felt much more earned than it did the film, if only because these characters' arcs were much longer and significantly more nuanced.

In the film, both versions of the ending feel not-quite-right. Of course, the comics weren't completed when they had to write an ending for the film, so they didn't have the advantage of having the source material to lend a hand in clarifying the character arcs.

Yes exactly.  But it's one of those things you wonder... you follow the comics to a certain extent and assume Scott would get back together with Knives?  Because if you base it on the comic, I recall it ever making Knives come across like she and Scott would be a good pairing again.  Now, had Wright decided to divert from the comic and naturally build the potential of Knives/Scott back up, I think that could've been a legitimate take on where to end the story.  And that's what it seems like Wright was trying to do... but then he changed it, supposedly based on O'Malley's response to the idea.  And I think you can feel that disconnect in the film.

Afterwards, I was very interested in seeing the ending as Wright intended... and even as unfinished as it was?  OOF.  That felt even worse.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Stockslivevan View Post

Ugh, that Marvel wouldn't let Wright do his magic with ANT-MAN is a shame. They could have had something amazing rather than adequate.

Yeah, it really is too bad.  I was also morbidly curious as to how Wright would work within Marvel's house style production pipeline.  Obviously, we saw that it absolutely didn't work out at all.  But I really wondered how Wright would handle that in terms of his style.  Kinda like how I'd love to see John Woo try to not make a movie with slow-motion and doves... I'd actually like to see Wright make a film without his meticulously precise style.  Just because I'm curious!

I liked Ant-Man, but adequate is a fitting word for it.  I don't think the movie works with the way it used Paul Rudd in Rudd mode.  I think Wright was trying to push Rudd to do something that pushed Rudd to break out of his usual onscreen persona.  Peyton Reed decided to keep him in his wheelhouse in a way that detracted from the film, I thought.  What I keep repeating about Ant-Man is that Rudd feels like the comic relief sidekick to the real story of the movie... but in the lead role.  It's so weird.   And the movie feels insecure about lingering on anything and ends up speeding through EVERYTHING.

A[quote name="mcnooj82" url="/community/t/125192/scott-pilgrim-vs-the-world-post-release/1230#post_4153049"]
Yes exactly.  But it's one of those things you wonder... you follow the comics to a certain extent and assume Scott would get back together with Knives?  Because if you base it on the comic, I recall it ever making Knives come across like she and Scott would be a good pairing again.  Now, had Wright decided to divert from the comic and naturally build the potential of Knives/Scott back up, I think that could've been a legitimate take on where to end the story.  And that's what it seems like Wright was trying to do... but then he changed it, supposedly based on O'Malley's response to the idea.  And I think you can feel that disconnect in the film.

Afterwards, I was very interested in seeing the ending as Wright intended... and even as unfinished as it was?  OOF.  That felt even worse.
[/quote]
Agreed with all of that. Making the film end with a Scott-should-be-with-Knives resolution could make sense if you really built the film around that. But the film, as is, doesn't really support that resolution.

There's a lot of big "character growth" stuff that happens in that final stretch of the comics that a three-act movie couldn't contain. But that stuff is kinda critical. So the film needed to find a new arc to simplify matters, but ultimately what they tried didn't click into place.
Quote:

Originally Posted by mcnooj82 View Post

I've come to the conclusion that Scott really shouldn't "end up" with anybody.

This is the correct conclusion, because Scott is a shallow, selfish character with few, if any, likeable traits.

AI still think it's fun. I'm way too old to ask for it to be personally meaningful to me, but for a movie made for pop culture-addled, hipster millennials, Wright's enthusiasm and skillsets make it pretty enjoyable and easy to sit through. It's one of the few movies in recent memory that gives you exactly the movie promised in the trailers.
AKind of seemed like it ended up resonating more with gen Xers to be honest.

That could be. I have not taken the temperature on that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JacknifeJohnny View Post

I still think it's fun. I'm way too old to ask for it to be personally meaningful to me, but for a movie made for pop culture-addled, hipster millennials, Wright's enthusiasm and skillsets make it pretty enjoyable and easy to sit through.

Yep. I'd go as far as to say that I find it to be Wright's most watchable film, if not his actual best (for that, I'd pick Hot Fuzz).

And, even if not everything comes together, it's still one of those I-can't-believe-this-exists kind of movies that stands out from whatever we might consider its peers to be. It might not be embraced as a masterpiece or canonical classic, but it will always have its place as a cultural touchstone.

It took me a few viewings to come around to Hot Fuzz. I now like it a lot, but when it shifts from sleepy Agatha Christie mystery to Michael Bay action spoof, I think it's hamstrung by the not terribly good action scenes. Wright does far better in that regard with SP and The World's End.

A[quote name="JacknifeJohnny" url="/community/t/125192/scott-pilgrim-vs-the-world-post-release/1230#post_4153090"]It took me a few viewings to come around to Hot Fuzz. I now like it a lot, but when it shifts from sleepy Agatha Christie mystery to Michael Bay action spoof, I think it's hamstrung by the not terribly good action scenes. Wright does far better in that regard with SP and The World's End.
[/quote]
I have always thought that the action sequences' "not terribly good"-ness was a big part of the joke, and, accordingly, I find it all pretty funny.
A[quote name="Agentsands77" url="/community/t/125192/scott-pilgrim-vs-the-world-post-release/1250_50#post_4153092"]
I have always thought that the action sequences' "not terribly good"-ness was a big part of the joke, and, accordingly, I find it all pretty funny.[/quote]

It's how he plays it up that's fun because it's sort of paying tribute to Bay and mocking it at the same time. It's a balance that totally works with me.

Of course, I enjoy BAD BOYS II just for how insane it is in every respect. It's too bad he's stuck in TRANSFORMERS land.
A[quote name="Mr. Stockslivevan" url="/community/t/125192/scott-pilgrim-vs-the-world-post-release/1230#post_4153093"]
It's how he plays it up that's fun because it's sort of paying tribute to Bay and mocking it at the same time. It's a balance that totally works with me.
[/quote]
Exactly. It's all stylized to the point of (hilarious) stupidity.

I'm a huge Wright fan, (and I'm also the oddball who thinks The World's End is Wright's best film), and I think SP is one of the best technical achievements of the decade. The visual direction/cinematography/editing (ESPECIALLY the editing)/sound mix are all flat-out stunning. It's one of those films where every frame feels crafted without it getting stifling. Even though it was an adaptation, it feels like an incredibly complete vision.

In terms of its story? I agree that it should have ended with Scott being alone and being OK with it. The material in the sixth book probably would have greatly helped composing the ending, especially when it gets into the twist that Scott had (with Gideon's influence) been self-aggrandizing his memories and he really WAS as big a jerk as his friends make him out to be. Similarly, the material about Ramona participating in the final fight as well, so that she and Scott end up defeating Gideon together.

Still, it's a really, really fun film that ends on a bit of a down note. I wish Pill's Kim Pine had more to do, because Kim is probably the best character in the comic series and Pill nailed the character in the little screentime she has. Same with Larson's Envy Adams - this was the first project I'd seen her in, and it was pretty obvious she was going to be a star.

I'm generally disappointed in the actual action of HOT FUZZ as well.  But I chalk it up more to the relatively low budget (8 million GBP) and the fact that it involves a lot of older actors to some capacity.

I love it when he goes all WOO and BAY.  The action bits I don't like as much as the ones where he's going TONY SCOTT.