Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All Purpose Screening Thread Go!
Rather than creating new threads for individual screenings or shows or venues, figured it would be cleaner and simpler to just have a nice go-to home for anything and everything...

I begin with asking if anyone is planning to attend the JACKIE BROWN rolling roadshow on Friday?

I am also being extremely tempted by the THE OBLONG BOX and SCREAM AND SCREAM AGAIN double feature that same night at The Egyptian.

Why must LA have so much movie awesomeness?! It's tearing me apart!
LA definitely has too much movie goodness going on. It really gets impossible if you lay out the New Bev, Cinematheque, and Nuart calenders next to each other.

I'm definitely going to try to make it Jackie Brown, as its one of my favorite of Tarantino's movies. The website isn't entirely clear, but I get the impression that it's a free screening (because how do you control an outdoor screening in a parking lot, right?). Can anybody confirm 100%?
Yeah, it's free. Now it's a drive-in event too. I really want to make this but am not yet sure if it will be feasible. Given that it's free, you'll need to get there fairly early to get a good spot, and I don't know if I can swing that.
Where's it being shown?
In the anus of the greater LA area... Torrance. http://rollingroadshow.com/aug-6-jackie-brown
But if there was ever a reason to go to torrance...

Maybe chewers that can get there earlier can stake out some sort of space for other chewers to sit?
There's no way I could swing that. Y'all have a ball, though!
Well who knows, maybe there'll be rain and they'll hold at the New Bev at midnight?
This thread popped up a bit late, otherwise I would have spread the word that they had a preview screening of Scott Pilgrim at the Landmark last night. It was a press screening I guess. It was pretty great.
Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeShaynePI
View Post
This thread popped up a bit late, otherwise I would have spread the word that they had a preview screening of Scott Pilgrim at the Landmark last night. It was a press screening I guess. It was pretty great.

Next time!

Just found this delightful double feature coming up at the Aero:

Saturday, August 14 - 7:30 PM
Director Tobe Hooper In Person with THE FUNHOUSE & THE TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE
So according to Facebook the Jackie Brown screening is now over by LAX. Any Chewers planning on going? Thoughts on the best time to get there? An hour ahead? Two?
I've got a deadline today that won't see me free in time to catch this. Alas. Having no clue what the size or layout of the venue is (that's weird that they changed it last minute), I'd say an hour is probably the reasonable time - won't get the very best spot but won't get a poor one either.
Pretty great screening last night, despite the jets constantly landing behind the screen. Kind of added to the atmosphere, I guess. Got there a half hour ahead and there was plenty of room. Managed to snag one of the posters before the show. Apparently they changes the venue last minute because the city of Torrance wouldn't let them screen the movie at the Del Amo parking lot. Tarantino gave them a hearty "fuck you" before the movie played.
I went to the S. F. Roadshow of "Dirty Harry," and despite it being a typically cold and damp night in North Beach, it was a blast-- absolutely stellar picture and sound.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Billy Youngblood
View Post
Pretty great screening last night, despite the jets constantly landing behind the screen. Kind of added to the atmosphere, I guess. Got there a half hour ahead and there was plenty of room. Managed to snag one of the posters before the show. Apparently they changes the venue last minute because the city of Torrance wouldn't let them screen the movie at the Del Amo parking lot. Tarantino gave them a hearty "fuck you" before the movie played.

Torrance sucks anyway. Glad to hear it was fun!
Quote:

the anus of the greater LA area... Torrance

Quote:

Torrance wouldn't let them screen the movie at the Del Amo parking lot. Tarantino gave them a hearty "fuck you" before the movie played

Quote:

Torrance sucks anyway

Khitcher wept.
I'm still eye-ballin' that Tobe Hooper double feature on Sat.
Doug Benson's Movie Interruption: Torque is next weekend. The last one of these was fantastic. This one should be excellent as well.

http://www.cinefamily.org/calendar/events.html#torque
Did you do the Tobe Hooper thing?
No. I couldn't talk anyone else into it. What kind of world are we living in, Jake? What kind of world?!
Hopefully one where everyone is seeing the shit out of Scott Pilgrim.
Not sure which night, but I am planning to hit SUSPIRIA and DEEP RED at the New Bev next week.

I have conflicts, but fyi for those who don't regularly check the schedule: NIGHT OF THE HUNTER and M are playing this weekend at the New Bev.
This might be of interest to people. Especially recent arrivals. There were actually a couple on here I'd never heard of. So worthy skimming.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0...0.html#s131788
Going to Bill & Ted Double Feature on Monday at the New Bev. Bill will be there! So will the screenwriter! Should be fun.
Caught Night of the Hunter tonight, but I had to leave before M because a friend was leaving for school tomorrow and wanted people to hang out.

Great movie, really glad to have seen it in the theater. I don't think I'm going to be able to make it to Bill & Ted, but Holy Hell do I ever want to.
Be there squares! http://www.cinefamily.org/calendar/events.html#5minutes
I might be able to swing that.
Well that sounds awesome. Might be doable.
The brilliant, not-on-DVD The Woman Chaser (1999), Patrick Warburton's finest hour, has a one-night-stand at the Roxie Cinema in San Francisco tomorrow:

http://roxie.com/events/details.cfm?...08B8057FD95E33
^^^Saw it, was blown away. You make it to any of the other nights? Rolling Thunder kicked the shit outta the place tonight, but yeah, Woman Chaser was the real gem. I also finally saw Thief thanks to this festival. Man, that film rocks.
Actually, I wasn't able to make it in at all. Really wanted to catch Cutter's Way with a crowd, though. Glad you dug Woman Chaser!
Dug is putting it lightly. It was one of those films that I couldn't believe I was watching as I was watching it. I'm gonna be proselytizing it for years. Criterion really ought put out an edition of it (also, the host said that the print we saw had a scene near the end that was taken out of the theatrical print b/c audiences found it too disturbing).

I was honestly surprised by how much Cutter's Way didn't really do it for me. It was just too disjointed, although that reaction might have something to do with watching it directly after Thief, which is just about as straightforward as it gets, and ends on such a high.
"It'll make people angry."
"Too bad it isn't in color."

Aw dammit, now I don't know if I've seen the uncut version or not. Do you know what the offending scene was?
My guess would be when he punches his typist in the stomach so as to abort their baby, as I can't really imagine anything else from the end could be considered all that "shocking". But the host wasn't specific. Was that part in the version you saw? It actually comes off less brutal than I was expecting (being familiar with what happens in the book).

And while were talking about the film: the dance scene. Sweet Jesus the dance scene. That was when I knew I was watching a mini-masterpiece.
I don't recall that part. Curses.

But I kind of like that in this day and age there are still movies one must go out of one's way to see.