Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DREDD Pre Release Discussion

BrickBurgundy, I agree, I cannot wait til Dredd is...Judged! at the box office the weekend of September 21st!  It is also great to see him paired with Judge Anderson.  Dredd and Anderson were my 2 favorite Judges.

Yup, this is going to be one of my few cinema trips of the year. I'm very much looking forward to this due to the positive reactions it has been getting from those who have seen it.

I hope it does well enough to earn a sequel, as I'm DYING to see Judge Death up on the big screen and they've promised he'll make an appearance if we get to a third movie.

I have a horrible feeling it's going to tank but if we do just get one Dredd film from this crew then I'm glad it's this because it was great. No saving the city/world bobbins, just a monstrous fascist bad motherfucker out on patrol, showing a rookie the ropes and cleaning house.

I loved how it combined a grimy, miserable 80s feel with moments of euphoric beauty in the gorgeous SlowMo shots, especially (ending spoiler)

Ma-Ma's demise, which managed to somehow be the most wonderful shot I've seen in a film this year, just floating through the air, parting the smoke, spinning around while some the score plays along...before smashing head first into the ground and sending blood all over the screen. It's obscene how lovely that looked considering what actually occurred.

Urban was perfect, never letting up for a minute and the part at the end which could/should have posed a moral quandary regarding his need to rigidly apply the law against the human cost of doing so was pure Dredd in the awful yet practical simplicity of his solution to it. Thirlby was great as Anderson, giving the film the character arc and moral centre Dredd never can. Headey's Ma-Ma was also very good and surprisingly menacing whenever she was on-screen (if anything, the film could have done with more of her).

I know some have complained how Mega City One doesn't look particularly futuristic and while they have a point, you just have to accept they had a much lower budget than the '95 film and what they did portray managed to look all too depressingly more believable for it.

So yeah, really enjoyed it, it was the kind of film that's been sorely absent of late (well, apart from The Raid, obviously *boomtish*), hope it does well enough to get that follow-up. I'd implore that people go see this instead of the usual $200m Michael Bay shitfests but in all honesty, I'm not hopeful for its chances.

Obligatory Retarded Possible Sequel Hook:

Dredd killed four bad judges in this, right? Maybe if they aren't prepared to go all out crazy down the parallel dimension route, they've got an 'in' there!!!11 (I know, I know, couldn't resist)

Yeah this always seemed like a cult movie that would find it's audience on video. Garland said it would have to make 50 million in the US to get a sequel. I think that's going to be hard, but we'll see. Garland also said that if they do a Dredd sequel, it would probably involve the cursed earth, the origin of the city and a character from the comics called CHOPPER.

100% on RT with 30 reviews. Not a bad start.

That's kinda amazing.  Are there any reviews from 'Top Critics' yet?

Are you sure those reviews are for Dredd 3D and not DREIDEL 3D?

"An amusing visual confection about a young Jewish boy and his magical spinning toy, voiced with the usual manic gusto by Robin Williams."

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnooj82 View Post

That's kinda amazing.  Are there any reviews from 'Top Critics' yet?

Empire & Variety are a couple notable biggies thus far. The rest are mostly British publications.

AYes, apparently the biggest "flaw" that will stop it going mainstream succesful is that its too close to the comic, in that Dredd is an irredeemable uber fascist.

So I have high hopes for this!

I'm going to see it with my mate, who's only Dredd experience is the Sly movie (that he loved)

However, he's a lawyer and literally has to deal with scum bags every day, so I imagine he'll appreciate Joe's no nonsense stance Big Grin

Half the reviews are from comicon and half are from british sites.

Hollywood Reporter liked it too.

I saw it...I enjoyed it.....I enjoyed it in a 'this is violent and cool' kinda way rather than being amazed by the whole. I really hope it does well so we get another one

Seeing this tomorrow and I'm uber-excited. A work colleague initially (and loudly) dismissed it as looking stupid but went to see it anyway (as he has one of those cinema passes that lets him see unlimited movies) and has been singing its praises. If it can turn someone around like that, it can't be bad at all.

I'm still a week away from finally feasting my eyeballs on this one.  I hope that the good reviews and WOM will help the box office proceeds in the US.  I have a very good feeling about this one.  I'm looking forward to reading an official review from the crew here.

According to Comic Book Resources, Karl Urban mentioned recently that maybe - just maybe - we might be getting a Dredd tv show via someone like Netflix or Amazon. Keep your fingers crossed, everybody!

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSaxon View Post

According to Comic Book Resources, Karl Urban mentioned recently that maybe - just maybe - we might be getting a Dredd tv show via someone like Netflix or Amazon. Keep your fingers crossed, everybody!

Saw that on Facebook, and holy shit yes. YES.

He's pushing for it but, come on, it's not like it's too probable.

The lack of a direct sequel to Dredd is still one of the biggest cinematic crimes perpetrated in my lifetime. If we can get a regular television show starring Urban, AND I finally get my live action version of the Dark Judges, it'll restore my faith in.... well, everything!

Especially with the hints Anderson threw about them.

I met Dredd today!!!!! Smile

Karl Urban was on the same plane as me.  I shamelessly begged him to make sure that Dredd 2 or a series happens.

"We're working on it mate, it's getting closer" and then he gave me a manly chuck on the shoulder.

Best. Day.  Ever Smile

AThat's cool. Were you living it up in first class or was he slumming it in business?

Domestic flight so there's not really any "class" as such.  You get to rub shoulders with all sorts when you fly between the cities.

This is, by far, the coolest I've had though.

AIt's been interesting seeing this movie's ascent into a legit cult movie.

It is very rewatchable. It's funny though because the stripped down John Carpenteryness is quite different from what I've read of the comics, which would really need a high budget to pull off, but they made it work for them.

I think the cult status is well-deserved, but I have a hard time rewatching this one.  I really enjoyed it the first time around, but every other time has resulted in me falling asleep.

AMight sound like faint praise but I've found it's a good one to have on on a lazy Sunday while you're semi occupied with other things. There's hardly any plot to lose track of and whenever you drift back into it there will likely be something amusing going on.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy Bain View Post

I met Dredd today!!!!! Smile

Karl Urban was on the same plane as me.  I shamelessly begged him to make sure that Dredd 2 or a series happens.

"We're working on it mate, it's getting closer" and then he gave me a manly chuck on the shoulder.

Best. Day.  Ever Smile

I hope you threatened to throw up on him?

Did you ask him if he got it on with Olivia Thrirllrby?

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcnooj82 View Post

I think the cult status is well-deserved, but I have a hard time rewatching this one.  I really enjoyed it the first time around, but every other time has resulted in me falling asleep.

Nooj falling asleep during a Dredd rewatch is an automatic fail.

AIt was during the big mini-gun barrage.

The person I saw it with was shocked by my ability to sleep through the noise!
AI think you're one of those guys who could sleep thru the end of the world, Nooj.
AI win

No. You lose hard.

as you all burn... I will be sleeping the sleep of the righteous

At least we'll go while watching badass movies. Your final moments will mean no more than a slice of bread being forgotten in a toaster.

AI'll be having awesome toaster dreams!