Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Our thread about PODCASTS

I alternate between podcasts and Sirius when I'm at work, but the podcasts I (try to) keep up with are:

Adam Carolla

Smodcast (although sometimes I'll just skip ahead if I get behind on the episodes...they can have funny moments, but sometimes Smith gets on one topic and it just gets tedious)

Tech News Today

This Week in Tech

No Agenda (Adam Curry and John C. Dvorak are both hilarious and disturbing as they "uncover" the world of politics--wow, that sounds like a tagline, doesn't it?)

Nerdist (Chris Hardwick)

Diggnation--although I suspect it will end soon as Kevin Rose says he's going to stop doing it.  I'm guessing after episode 300.

Sword & Laser

I do love threads like this, though, because they help me discover new podcasts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zollicoffer View Post

And the occasional Bill Simmons, but his constant passion for everything New England can be annoying at times.

Carolla's Bill Simmons impersonation kills me every time.  "Dear...Tom...Brady...I...love...y--DELETE!  DELETE!"

Yeah, I get a kick out of it every time too. "DEAR ACE MAN..."

Cousin Sal has a good impression of Simmons as well, focusing on his love for Josh Freeman.

I've finally jumped aboard the Marc Maron train, listening to 100-110. I like his fearless interview style, but his neurosis is irritating. The more time spent on just himself, the worse the show is, but it's clear from the 100th episode, I'm in the minority with that, and wanting to hear from listeners.

Quote:

I've finally jumped aboard the Marc Maron train, listening to 100-110. I like his fearless interview style, but his neurosis is irritating. The more time spent on just himself, the worse the show is, but it's clear from the 100th episode, I'm in the minority with that, and wanting to hear from listeners.

Agree with you, but don't miss his two-parter with the great Louis C.K. (eps. 111 & 112). As former friends they discuss what went sour in their relationship. A great listen. The recent show I saw live in SF with Bobcat and many other guests just plopped (#148) and if it is as fun as it was in the room, it should be a great listen. I find Marc more fun with good company.

The upcoming How Did This Get Made? will feature The Last Airbender, so get your knives sharpened.

http://www.earwolf.com/show/how-did-get-made

Also, RIP, the awesome IFC News podcast.

http://www.davechen.net/2011/01/requiem-...dcast.html

Quote:
... and wanting to hear from listeners.

Check out the links in the first paragraph in the first post in the thread Zollicoffer. Plenty more WTF specific chit-chat there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnias View Post

The upcoming How Did This Get Made? will feature The Last Airbender, so get your knives sharpened.

http://www.earwolf.com/show/how-did-get-made

I tried listening to the Old Dogs episode of How Did This Get Made? but I only made it about 13 minutes in. Motherfuckers are some shrill motherfuckers.

Thanks for recommending Dave Chen's solo interviews though Finnias. I like that guy and his goofy sense of humour more and more.

AIn the March 14th podcast, UK scientist Brian Cox discusses parallel universes:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/stw

A little while back I fell hard for Who Charted? In which the current music and movie charts are dissected and discussed hilariously by two regulars and a comedian guest. Word on the street is that CHUDshow star Kevin "Justin Waddell" Matchstick is also a fan, and he's a celebrity so it must be good.

The host is Howard Kremer, some kind of befuddled genius who also happens to be Dragon Boy Suede. No, I didn't really know who Dragon Boy Suede was either, but I do now. The co-host is Kulap Vilaysak, who somehow manages to defy the laws of physics by being a wildly enthusiastic giggler who isn't annoying. The latest ep, with Eddie Pepitone, is pure gold. You can also find weapons-grade fun with episodes guesting your Marc Marons, your Rob Huebels, your David Koechners, your Ken Marinos and your Paul F Tompkins among others (Sarah Silvermans, Doug Bensons, Thomas Lennons etc).

http://www.earwolf.com/show/who-charted-...vilaysack/

IMG_7376.jpgIMG_7377.jpg

This is Dragon Boy Suede, by the way, with his smash hit You Won't Sass Me Like That When I Can Summon Wolves.

"But the shark is a wolf in a shark disguise / And he's comin for that ass on the water slide."

Also, turns out there was another perfectly good podcast thread that my idiocy missed - http://www.chud.com/community/t/84014/fa...odcasts/50

I never got into podcasts until about a year ago, and now I'm addicted.

Surprised to read through this thread and see no mention of The Flop House, which is a much better bad movie podcast than How Did This Get Made. They tear apart bad movies, but the funniest parts are often the crazy tangents they go off on. It's probably the most consistently hilarious podcast I listen to. Definitely check out their "Bratz" episode and their "Old Dogs" episode.

That said, it's well worth checking out the How Did This Get Made episode on Punisher: War Zone where they have Patton Oswalt on and they talk to Lexi Alexander, the director of the film. Entertaining and informative, you should check it out even if you don't normally check out HDTGM, it's easily their best episode.

Also great is Mike and Tom Eat Snacks, where Michael Ian Black and Tom Cavanagh, as the title would indicate, eat snacks. It's way funnier than listening to two guys eat and analyze snack foods has any right to be.

Just started listening to The Bugle (I don't know what took me so long). It's John Oliver (and his friend Andy Zaltzman) riffing on politics on a weekly basis. Do you really need any more reason to listen? Their recent episode on "scandal-prone" Silvio Berlusconi ("saying Berlusconi is 'scandal-prone' is kind of like saying Roger Federer is 'hitting-a-tennis-ball-prone'") had me rolling.

I always listen to Doug Loves Movies, but it's so dependent on the guests. The recent tournament of champions was great though, and I've come to really enjoy it every time Anthony Jeselnik is on the show.

I can't listen to WTF unless I'm interested in the guest. Maron is great at getting stuff out of his subjects, but he himself doesn't interest me at all. I don't find him funny and his constant self-depreciation is just depressing. His recent interview with Norm Macdonald is aces though.

Similarly, I find Nerdist to be a bit inconsistent, and only really listen when I like the guest. It's had some amazing episodes though. The John Oliver episode is my all-time favorite episode of a podcast, and the Craig Ferguson and Neil Gaiman ones are must-listens.

Yeah, The Bugle's pretty damn great. And yeah, Nerdist is really hit and miss but they can be a lot of fun when there's a quality guest. And yeah, Doug Loves Movies is the same. There's an episode of that with John Lithgow and Jimmy Pardo and Paul F Tompkins that's one of my favourite shows ever though.

I think I've listened to three episodes of Flop House and I liked it but it hasn't become a regular for me. I've also tried Mike And Tom Eat Snacks three times because a lot of people have recommended itand it's never grabbed me.

Yeah, everybody get on the Bugle love train. It doesn't work all the time, but when it does it's one of the few things I literally find hysterical. But it''s my kind of humor. There was this episode where Zaltzman must have done almost 50 geography puns during a single bit. Weird as fuck, but as it just kept going and going and going so did my laughing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logo Lou View Post
and Dread Central's Dinner for Fiends, although very sporadic and with awful sound quality, is always a must listen.

Yeah, I agree. Although, their last two episodes have had much better sound quality and that's a permanent change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucho View Post
I tried listening to the Old Dogs episode of How Did This Get Made? but I only made it about 13 minutes in. Motherfuckers are some shrill motherfuckers.

Yeah, I listened to their first episode and their personalities just rubbed me the wrong way. Near-constantly talking over each other got old too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomethingClever View Post
Surprised to read through this thread and see no mention of The Flop House, which is a much better bad movie podcast than How Did This Get Made. They tear apart bad movies, but the funniest parts are often the crazy tangents they go off on. It's probably the most consistently hilarious podcast I listen to. Definitely check out their "Bratz" episode and their "Old Dogs" episode.

I haven't listened to that yet but just this week I stumbled upon Bad Movie Fiends, which does the same thing and talks about bad movies. I've only made it to episode 12 of their almost 100 episode collection but I dig it already. It isn't just ripping on terrible things like The Wicker Man and Southland Tales; they also talk about bad movies that are wildly entertaining to watch, like Robot Jox and Riki-Oh: The Story of Ricky.

I don't listen to as many podcasts as many of the posters in this thread do, apparently. I won't list all of the ones I list to (as some of them are local/people I know personally, or they revolve around such things pro wrestling/MMA); however, here's two that I listen to regularly.

The Autoblog Podcast: The title pretty much sums things up well: some funny/cranky guys talk about car news once a week.

Baseball Prospectus: Two hip smug guys talk about baseball, but it's a lot more than that. They sometimes interview people outside of the sport, including listeners; it ranges from world events to a great Scrabble player, an astrophysicist to the guy behind Giant Bomb. It's uneven at times but it usually entertains me.

I listen to some random sports podcasts too, usually either football or baseball. Hell, I listen to one on Division III college football!  However, maybe one of these days I'll try out some that have been recommended here.

Aisha Tyler's "Girl on Guy" podcast is a pretty good listen. Make sure you listen to the episode with Jon Benjamin to hear his story of shitting himself in a rental car.  It had me on the floor laughing.

And if you're interested in how people "get into the business", Riki Lindhome (from Garfunkel & Oates, Last House on the Left) has a podcast called "Making It with Riki Lindhome".  It's really interesting to hear how these different folks "made it" in Hollywood.

This is a bump and a shill, I know, but I don't know where else to put this. I've recently decided to try my hand at podcasting. It's a film show in which me and two other guys discuss three different films.

My first episode can be found here: http://olympicartichoke.blogspot.com/201...e-one.html

The direct link is here: http://media48.podbean.com/pb/5af3745c4b...odeOne.mp3

On this episode we discuss the films Bottle Rocket, Paris, TX, and Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2. If you are into this kind of thing, give it a listen. Constructive criticism appreciated.

Some folks around here know Patrick Ripoll but you might not know he has one of the better film chat podcasts around at The Director's Club

Comedy Bang Bang isn't everyone's comedy cup of tea and it took me a couple of episodes to really jive with Scott Aukerman's humour but lately there have been some great episodes, especially the latest one (CBB-150) with Paul F Tompkins in his recurring role as Lord Dame Sir Andrew Lloyd Webber and SNL's Bobby Moynihan debuting a new (and disturbing) character. I don't watch SNL so I'd never heard of Moynihan before he started appearing on CBB but I've become a fan pretty quickly. CBB-148 was really fun too, with Jason Mantzoukas proving that when he's not shreiking all over How Did This Get Made he's actually a very entertaining and frequently hilarious comedian.

Meanwhile, perhaps the most epic podcast of them all, The History Of Rome is on the home stretch with its recent episodes telling the story of the invasion of Atilla The Hun. Mike Duncan is great at taking a subject which has the potential to be too dry to swallow and making it human and sometimes humourous. It's really quite a ride to cover the entirety of the greatest civilization that's ever existed but Duncan breaks it up into 20-25 minute episodes and it goes down a treat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewarfreak View Post

This is a bump and a shill, I know, but I don't know where else to put this. I've recently decided to try my hand at podcasting. It's a film show in which me and two other guys discuss three different films.

Good luck to you buddy, it seems like a lot of work and energy (which is why despite being a fan for 7 years I've never made one myself) but a lot of folks seem to get a lot out of it.

Whenever PFT does Lloyd Webber, Herzog or Cake Boss, it's worth a listen. He's just fantastic.

Since my last post in this thread, I've discovered a podcast which has quickly become my favorite: My Brother, My Brother and Me. It's 3 brothers who give "advice" to questions that are emailed in, and to the most ridiculous/disturbing Yahoo Answers questions they can find. They're all quick-witted, funny guys who have great chemistry and just bounce ridiculous concepts off each other. It's the only show that will literally have me gasping with laughter nearly every week. I cannot recommend it highly enough, it's fantastic.

Really any podcast with PFT is worth listening to.

AMan I got a lot of podcasts on rotation right now, I doubt I have time to check out any of the ones listed in this thread.

Here are my staples:

WTF with Marc Maron - The first one I ever started listening to and I never grow tired of the interviews he does. I always wonder if he will ever run out of people to get on his show, but as I can list more than ten people whose brains I would love to hear him pick, I don't think it is going to happen anytime soon.

Doug Loves Movies - To tell the truth I could take or leave the banter he does onstage with his guests, I just am addicted to listening along with the games he plays with them. I would love to get a Build a Title, or Leonard Maltin Game thread going on CHUD, but it would be to easy to cheat at them with IMDB a click away.

Thrilling Adventure Hour - A comedy show done in front of a live audience that mimics the old time radio serials. It is brilliantly written and also has an excellent rotating cast with Patton Oswalt, Nathan Fillion, Paul F. Tomkins, and David Foley all guest starring at one point or another. They parody the Thin Man, Space Westerns, Army anti Nazi propaganda, super heros and noirs. I highly recommend it.

The Nerdist Writers Panel - A live panel of varying tv writers gets interviewed every week and, though you might think that it may get boring after a while, it doesn't. Most of them have something interesting to say and all of them bring great anecdotes which they have amassed over a career of working in television.

The Tobolowsky Files - Life stories and lessons learned by the actor Stephen Tobolowsky. A 'that guy' character actor whose most known role was as the insurance salesman Ned Ryerson in Groundhog Day. I know that this may seem like a bland show in my description, but Tobolowsky always manages to grab my attention and get me involved. I have come to the opinion that he is the best monologist to come along since Spalding Gray. I urge everyone to check it out.

These are Shows I listen to every now an then, though I could easily see that they may not appeal to everyone:

The Christopher Titus Podcast - Titus, as well as his stunt man friend Tommy and girlfriend(?) Bombshell Ray discuss recent news and go on rants about a variety of subjects. While it is sometimes hilarious, other times Titus is just too pessimistic and his constant ranting on certain subjects just grates after a while. I can't listen to more than one of his shows in a row.

The Smartest Man in the World - Gregg Proops's podcast is really done in a classic comedian style. Every show is just him with a glass of vodka alone onstage pontificating on a variety of subjects from the baseball negro leagues of the early twentieth century, to Cleopatra and ancient Egypt, to filmmaker Russ Meyer. No stone is left unturned and no topic is free from his digressions. Quite often it's funny, more often than not it is interesting. Just beware that, as he puts it "there will be a boring preachy part in the middle" during which he will bemoan the state of the world and expound upon his liberal viewpoints.

The Nerdist - Chris Hardwick and company talk and do interviews with a variety of people famous in nerd culture or other comedians. I do like this show, but for some reason find that I don't really want to listen to more than one a week and even then I tend only to download the interviews with guests I am interested in.

I also listen to a few radio shows which are released in podcast form.

WNYC's Radiolab - A awesomely produced show focusing on science. It is not a news show. Radiolab tells the stories behind famous discoveries and inventions and investigates topics such as why do we die of old age, and why does music hold such a fascination on us.

Freakenomics - A show done by the journalist and economist team that wrote the orignal book. Not quite a good as Radiolab, but still very involving.

Wait Wait... Don't Tell Me! - NPR's new quiz show is always diverting and fun to listen to on a long drive.

Car Talk - A fun show where two mechanic brothers, Tom and Ray, try to diagnose their listener's car problems over the phone. It doesn't sound like much and some people hate the hosts' sense of humor, but I enjoy it for what it is.

Friday Night Comedy - A BBC podcast that every two months switches between two Brittish radio shows, the News Quiz and the Now Show. Both are funny shows which lampoon recent political events, though I tend to prefer the New Quiz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim K View Post

Doug Loves Movies - To tell the truth I could take or leave the banter he does onstage with his guests, I just am addicted to listening along with the games he plays with them. I would love to get a Build a Title, or Leonard Maltin Game thread going on CHUD, but it would be to easy to cheat at them with IMDB a click away.

I've thought the same thing. I'd definitely do it, and sign my name on the "virtual honor code". I love the Leonard Maltin Game, but I'm rarely with a group that is movie-savvy enough to make it work.

Another podcast I enjoy occasionally is You Made it Weird with Pete Holmes. He's basically the anti-Maron. The shows are both pretty intimate and probing interviews, but while Maron is pretty dour and super-critical of everything, Holmes is gregarious and just loves comedy in all forms. Definitely worth checking out.

Game Of Thrones fans might want to check out the Game Of Thrones podcast ("A Cast Of Kings") from David Chen (Slashfilmcast) and Joanna Robinson (Pajiba.com). Dave hasn't read the books, Joanna has, so you get both perspectives. Dave's one of the most likeable and experienced podcasters around, with his mix of being a nerd who's a huge fan of film and tv but not having such a stick up his ass that he can't admit he's wrong (as he often does) and I don't know much about Joanna aside from when she's guested on the Slashfilmcast but she seems smart and fun.

And speaking of fans of things, if you love Community there are a couple of episodes of The Indoor Kids featuring Dan Harmon (#19 and #22) worth checking out. In fact if you're a gamer that podcast is worth checking out anyway I'd say. I "retired" from gaming about 5 years ago but this show is so good I still listen to it when I can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomTastic View Post

Really any podcast with PFT is worth listening to.

Yeah, I think he was voted the podcast MVP of 2011 and in fact over the Christmas/New Years period I think he was on CBB about 5 out of 7 episodes and deilvered brilliantly on all of them. He's the podcast whore with a heart of gold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim K View Post

Man I got a lot of podcasts on rotation right now, I doubt I have time to check out any of the ones listed in this thread ...

I hear you Tim, I get to listen to 8-10 hours a day and still feel like I don't have time to listen to all the shows I have in rotation.

I'm pretty much the opposite with Doug Loves Movies - I like the banter and movie talk but the games can often drag on for me, especially Build A Title. The CHUDshow boys did kind of a version of that a couple of years ago which was hilarious but Doug's version gets tedious to listen to. On the other hand it's fun to play so if you want to start a thread I'll support you with all my heart.

One of my favourite podcasts of all time is an episode of Doug Loves Movies with Paul F Tompkins, Jimmy Pardo and John Lithgow - an episode which was as close to live podcasting genius as I've ever heard in my 7 years listening to these things. It turned me round on Pardo too, a guy I'd never "got" before that.

Quote:

Another podcast I enjoy occasionally is You Made it Weird with Pete Holmes. He's basically the anti-Maron. The shows are both pretty intimate and probing interviews, but while Maron is pretty dour and super-critical of everything, Holmes is gregarious and just loves comedy in all forms. Definitely worth checking out.

I like Pete Holmes too, especially in Doug Loves Movies when he's on with TJ Miller. Those braying jackasses should seem like douches but they crack me up every time.

I loved You Made It Weird for two episodes but by the third I was wondering if too much Pete is a good thing. It is very WTF-lite, or WTF-positive, like you say, but his interupting and general loudness/bimboness wore me down. I need that guy only in small doses.

The second episode of my podcast (Olympic Artichoke Radio) is up. This week we discussed Army of Shadows, Perfect Blue, and Streets of Fire. Check it out if that interests you.

Blog page: http://olympicartichoke.blogspot.com/201...ode-2.html

Direct link: http://olympicartichoke.podbean.com/mf/w...odeTwo.mp3

This is one comes in at under an hour, so you can listen on your lunch break!

I'm enjoying Alison Rosen Is Your New Best Friend.  She started out as a video show a while back, and now that she's the newsgirl on Adam Carolla, they moved her show to a podcast.  I like it, although this past podcast with Fred Armisen was tough to get through--because of him, not her.  Didn't really sound like he wanted to talk at all, but she drags info out of him (he wants a house decorated like Halloween year-round.  Really?).

Also sticking with the Ace Broadcast Network, I like "Ace On The House", in which Adam and his buddy Ray discuss some home improvement stuff in between Adam's rants and stories of them growing up where Ray shits and/or pisses on someone.

Episode Three of Olympic Artichoke Radio is LIVE!

This time out we discuss the movies The Friends of Eddie Coyle (1973), Hellbound (1994), and Nosferatu in Venice (1988).

Blog link: http://olympicartichoke.blogspot.com/201...three.html

Direct link: http://olympicartichoke.podbean.com/mf/w...eThree.mp3

For anyone who grew up in the 90s, a few weeks ago Chris Hardwick interviewed Rob Paulsen and Maurice LeMarche, AKA Pinky and the Brain (plus a million other things).

It's a really amazing podcast. The two guys just bounce off each other fantastically, they keep slipping in and out of voices (if you've ever wanted to hear The Brain drop the F-bomb, here's your chance), and they've got tons of great stories. LeMarche, in particular, has some great anecdotes, as he once was the opener for Rodney Dangerfield, and also worked on "Inspector Gadget" with Don Adams. Also, Paulsen slips into Yakko and does the entire Nations of the World song without missing a beat. It's amazing, I highly recommend it.

http://www.nerdist.com/2012/03/nerdist-p...-lamarche/

Quote:

For anyone who grew up in the 90s, a few weeks ago Chris Hardwick interviewed Rob Paulsen and Maurice LeMarche, AKA Pinky and the Brain (plus a million other things).

It's a really amazing podcast. The two guys just bounce off each other fantastically, they keep slipping in and out of voices (if you've ever wanted to hear The Brain drop the F-bomb, here's your chance), and they've got tons of great stories. LeMarche, in particular, has some great anecdotes, as he once was the opener for Rodney Dangerfield, and also worked on "Inspector Gadget" with Don Adams. Also, Paulsen slips into Yakko and does the entire Nations of the World song without missing a beat. It's amazing, I highly recommend it.

http://www.nerdist.com/2012/03/nerdist-p...-lamarche/

Yeah, it was really great.  I listened to it last week.

Love Battleship Pretension for slightly more-refined movie topic analyses

I second the love for Carolla, and the B.S. Report

I will love the Chud Show forever for the "Ted Levine" interview back in the day

Episode Four of Olympic Artichoke Radio is available here:

http://olympicartichoke.blogspot.com/201...-four.html

Or for direct download here:

http://olympicartichoke.podbean.com/mf/w...deFour.mp3

In Episode Four we discussed Jigoku, Psycho II, and The Treasure of the Sierra Madre.

On Monday we'll be recording our next episode, in which we'll discuss Real Men, Rolling Thunder, and The Lady Eve. Should be fun.

Episode Five is LIVE. Hear three nerds ramble on about Real Men (1987)! Rolling Thunder (1977)! And The Lady Eve (1941)!

Chills! Spills! And Spine-Tingling Adventure Await!

Here is the Podbean page:

http://olympicartichoke.podbean.com/2012...sode-five/

Or you can direct download here:

http://olympicartichoke.podbean.com/mf/w...deFive.mp3

I don't know if the bloom is off the Marc Maron rose for me or if it was just the particular guests but twice recently I haven't finished episodes of WTF. I turned off the Wayne Coyne ep after only about 12 minutes of their conversation and the Craig Ferguson one after about half that. Coyne was game but I just found myself getting bored with the old man conversation and I found myself bored by how bored Ferguson came across.

Then again, the Danny McBride episode was solid gold delight from beginning to end so I ain't about to call time on The Catfather* just yet.

* I just made that up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martianman View Post

I'm enjoying Alison Rosen Is Your New Best Friend.  She started out as a video show a while back, and now that she's the newsgirl on Adam Carolla, they moved her show to a podcast.  I like it, although this past podcast with Fred Armisen was tough to get through--because of him, not her.  Didn't really sound like he wanted to talk at all, but she drags info out of him (he wants a house decorated like Halloween year-round.  Really?).

Also sticking with the Ace Broadcast Network, I like "Ace On The House", in which Adam and his buddy Ray discuss some home improvement stuff in between Adam's rants and stories of them growing up where Ray shits and/or pisses on someone.

I keep thinking I'm going to get tired of Carolla but I never do. Even when he tells one of his stories for the three dozenth time it feels like watching a favourite old film again. You know what's coming but it's fun anyway.

Alison was on Jordan Jesse GO recently too, and was her usual delightful self. I haven't gotten regular with her own show yet, I tried only the first ep and it was nice enough but I prefer her throwing those lightning quick zingers in at Ace. It never ceases to amaze me that she not only keeps up with one of the fastest mouths in the west but often outdoes him.

Surprised not to see any love for Jay Mohr's "Mohr Stories" (check out any episode with Barry Katz), or "This Week with Larry Miller". They're both fantastic, and I wasn't particularly a fan of either before I started listening. "TWWLM" is especially brilliant.

I'm chomping at the bit for Larry to come back from his fall.  The story alone should get a million downloads.  "Hi, I'm Larry Miller, and in a way, aren't we all?"

Couple of bits to add to the discussion:

Kevin Pollak's talk show is free again. You can view all the episodes on Hulu.

If you liked Rob Paulsen's appearance on Nerdist, he has his own podcast called Talkin' Toons. He interviews fellow voice over actors, and they are a blast to listen to.

http://robpaulsenlive.com/

Not a traditional podcast, I'd also recommend Dreadtime Stories. Fangoria produces a new one every month, and they harken back to the radio dramas of old. I've enjoyed pretty much all of them, and they have Malcolm McDowell as the host.

http://www.fangoria.com/index.php/home/d...me-stories

And if you like keeping up with horror news, there is Inside Horror. They have had Joe Dante, Sid Haig, and Jeffrey Combs on as past guests.

http://thestream.tv/inside-horror/

Marc Maron sucks at interviewing musicians and chefs (the Bourdain episode) because he wants to badly to show his non-comedy guests how much he is like them. He reminds me of a guy who hangs around Guitar Center all day trying out pedals but isn't even in a band.

TAL is one of the greatest things ever.

There is a show called A LIfe Well Wasted that gives the This American Life treatment to the world of video games. There are only a handful of episodes but they are quite good.

How Did This Get Made is a lot of fun; a group discussion of bad movies

the-x-men-listen-to-this-american-life-20237-1261118178-2.jpg

Anyone listen to Kevin Smith's FATMAN ON BATMAN podcast?

They've actually been really great.  Love the first one with Paul Dini, but MUCH LOVE for the 2-part talk with Mark Hamill, who is a complete dork in the best way.  I love his showbiz stories and the fact that Star Wars is almost never part of the discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninhead View Post

Surprised not to see any love for Jay Mohr's "Mohr Stories" (check out any episode with Barry Katz), or "This Week with Larry Miller". They're both fantastic, and I wasn't particularly a fan of either before I started listening. "TWWLM" is especially brilliant.

Larry made a brief appearance on his podcast a week or so ago--apparently he's having to do physical therapy after the fall and that's why it's taking so long for him to come back.  But Adam said he'd be on the show in another week or so and Larry said he'd be back soon doing TWWLM.

Probably the longest running (Mar '05) professional comedy podcast is Keith and The Girl. I've listened since about Oct of '05, so I'm pretty damn biased, but I thought their latest promo was gold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.cyclops View Post

Marc Maron sucks at interviewing musicians and chefs (the Bourdain episode) because he wants to badly to show his non-comedy guests how much he is like them. He reminds me of a guy who hangs around Guitar Center all day trying out pedals but isn't even in a band.

TAL is one of the greatest things ever.

There is a show called A LIfe Well Wasted that gives the This American Life treatment to the world of video games. There are only a handful of episodes but they are quite good.

How Did This Get Made is a lot of fun; a group discussion of bad movies

I like Paul Scheer, June Rafael and Jason Mantzoukas (can't get enough of him on Comedy Bang Bang) but I can't stand How Did This Get Made. Somehow when those three cool people get together to talk about weird/bad movies they turn into a bunch of shrieking harpies. I tune in to hear about a movie but all it sounds like to me is a seagull fight at the dump. I like The Flop House a lot though. It's the same premise instead of turning the shrill up to 11 the hosts just get on with some really endearing banter. The fact they're writers on The Daily Show probably hints at the type of humour you can expect.

I think you're mostly right about Maron, except that since that post he had a great chat with Jack White. Maybe there's hope for him yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnooj82 View Post

Anyone listen to Kevin Smith's FATMAN ON BATMAN podcast?

They've actually been really great.  Love the first one with Paul Dini, but MUCH LOVE for the 2-part talk with Mark Hamill, who is a complete dork in the best way.  I love his showbiz stories and the fact that Star Wars is almost never part of the discussion.

I've only listened to the latest (double) episode where he and Scott Mosier talk about the new movie and I loved it. I fell off the SMod Train two or three years ago but hearing him and Scott talk Bats was so endearing I almost feel like giving him another shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martianman View Post

Larry made a brief appearance on his podcast a week or so ago--apparently he's having to do physical therapy after the fall and that's why it's taking so long for him to come back.  But Adam said he'd be on the show in another week or so and Larry said he'd be back soon doing TWWLM.

I'm a few days behind in shows right now but I hope this is true. The world really needs Larry Miller back in it.