Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Our thread about PODCASTS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnooj82 View Post

Anyone listen to Kevin Smith's FATMAN ON BATMAN podcast?

They've actually been really great.  Love the first one with Paul Dini, but MUCH LOVE for the 2-part talk with Mark Hamill, who is a complete dork in the best way.  I love his showbiz stories and the fact that Star Wars is almost never part of the discussion.

I checked this out recently. While I don't see myself listening to it regularly, the Mark Hamill episode is ridiculously great. I was seriously loving it the whole way through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucho View Post

I like Paul Scheer, June Rafael and Jason Mantzoukas (can't get enough of him on Comedy Bang Bang) but I can't stand How Did This Get Made. Somehow when those three cool people get together to talk about weird/bad movies they turn into a bunch of shrieking harpies. I tune in to hear about a movie but all it sounds like to me is a seagull fight at the dump. I like The Flop House a lot though. It's the same premise instead of turning the shrill up to 11 the hosts just get on with some really endearing banter. The fact they're writers on The Daily Show probably hints at the type of humour you can expect.

I still listen to the occasional episode of HDTGM, but it really does get unbearably yelly. The special "Director's Edition" episodes are definitely worth listening to though, with "The Room", "Punisher: War Zone", "Crank" and "Birdemic" (which includes the lead actress as a guest) as standouts.

The Flop House, on the other hand, is consistently great.

I just recently started listening to the Breaking Bad Insider podcast, and it's fantastic. The episodes are just packed with cool little details about the production of the show. If you watch Breaking Bad, you really should be listening to it. If you don't watch Breaking Bad, what the heck is wrong with you?

AI never listened to Kevin Smith podcasts but decided to give him a chance for the Batman one (because it was about Batman). I can't say I'm going to be listening to more of his non-batman stuff, but I would say this medium seems to suit him.

Can't get enough WTF, ever. Now granted, there's enough of a backlog on my iTunes that I may well be put to the test on that, but I'm hearing at least one a week.

I like the Nerdist all right, but I love Indoor Kids. Great hosts.

I can't stand Dave Chen, I've decided. The Game of Thrones podcast really irritated me. The slash film cast is apparently one of the biggest movie podcasts out there, but I've found Patrick Ripoll's Directors Club to be one thousand times more my speed. If anyone has a suggestion for a really solid movie cast, I'm certainly looking. It feels sorta hypocritical of me, but I'm not finding a lot of likable hosts among the movie nerds out there (aside from Ripoll's, that one really is great-it's got me seeking out stuff I would not have watched otherwise-if you're on chud, you'd love it).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjen Rudd View Post

I never listened to Kevin Smith podcasts but decided to give him a chance for the Batman one (because it was about Batman). I can't say I'm going to be listening to more of his non-batman stuff, but I would say this medium seems to suit him.
Can't get enough WTF, ever. Now granted, there's enough of a backlog on my iTunes that I may well be put to the test on that, but I'm hearing at least one a week.
I like the Nerdist all right, but I love Indoor Kids. Great hosts.
I can't stand Dave Chen, I've decided. The Game of Thrones podcast really irritated me. The slash film cast is apparently one of the biggest movie podcasts out there, but I've found Patrick Ripoll's Directors Club to be one thousand times more my speed. If anyone has a suggestion for a really solid movie cast, I'm certainly looking. It feels sorta hypocritical of me, but I'm not finding a lot of likable hosts among the movie nerds out there (aside from Ripoll's, that one really is great-it's got me seeking out stuff I would not have watched otherwise-if you're on chud, you'd love it).

Yeah Indoor Kids is tits, I love those guys. Check out the most recent episode of Jordan Jesse GO (the podcast of regular IK guest Jordan Morris) if you want to hear some more Kumail and Emily banter.

I still love David Chen, but I absolutely get why he's polarising. Pretty much the whole raison d'etra of his shows is to have conversations with people who are smarter than him with whom he can yap and work out the stuff he doesn't quite get, so it often happens that many in his audience are ahead of him in undertanding the material, which is frustrating for some. On the Game Of Thrones podcast Joanna was too nice so he didn't really have anyone to call him on his shit, unlike Slashfilmcast where Devindra and especially Adam put him right. Say what you will about Dave Chen, he has big enough balls, an open enough mind and more than enough humility to change his point of view whenever his co-hosts or a guest does a good enough job of challenging something he's said. It's refreshing to hear a nerd who isn't so insecure they take it as a personal attack whenever someone challenges their opinion of some pop culture thing or other.

And Adam Quigley especially is gold on that show. He's probably almost as polarising as Dave because he doesn't give a crap about hurting sensitive fanboy feelings so he doesn't sugarcoat anything. When Ripoll started doing his thing he reminded me of Adam in that way, and like Adam he's continued to be an entertaining and enlightening commentator on film. I like Ripoll's thing too, although the meandering nature of it sometimes has me tuning out without realising it. He's a smart cookie though and he just gets better and better.

The only other film-based show I listen to regularly (not counting The CHUDshow and The Flop House, which is more a comedy show using film as a launchpad) is the BBC's Kermode and Mayo Film Reviews show, but the Director's Club website has several "Podcasts We Like" listed if you want something which is up the same-ish alley.

Quote:

Yeah, I gotta say Chen's shtick went from cute to irritating pretty fast. And I assume it's a shtick because I'm having problems figuring out how such a needy, thin skinned person could ever get through life. Half the episodes ended up being about him screaming "VALIDATE ME!" and literally asking for the comments to be more of a circlejerk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stelios View Post

Yeah, I gotta say Chen's shtick went from cute to irritating pretty fast. And I assume it's a shtick because I'm having problems figuring out how such a needy, thin skinned person could ever get through life. Half the episodes ended up being about him screaming "VALIDATE ME!" and literally asking for the comments to be more of a circlejerk.

Naw, it was more like he was asking the feedbackers to act like they're at least halfway to being adults instead of spewing their emotionally retarded nerdsnark at the hosts.

AI've only listened to a bit of his filmcast, and that wasn't so bad, but it felt like fully half of that Game of Thrones cast was him complaining about his listeners. The other half was him not understanding the show, which (let's be honest) isn't exactly Shakespeare.
AChen's a bit dim sometimes but I don't mind him. I really tune in for his guests though.

Filmjunk is a good movie podcast. The hosts are likeable and they have a good banter. Jay Cheel is a smart guy and usually has some good insights. And amusing stories about his horrible medical examinations.

And his documentary BEAUTY DAY, about Captain Video, Canada's Johnny Knoxville, is very good.
Quote:

Naw, it was more like he was asking the feedbackers to act like they're at least halfway to being adults instead of spewing their emotionally retarded nerdsnark at the hosts.

Come on, that was some pretty ridiculous cherrypicking and hyping of emails he was doing at the GOT podcast.

"Listen to that retarded sexist moron." Reads some dumb email.

"Now listen to what is probably the smartest thing ever written by a human." Reads another dumb email from the opposite view.

Quote:

Come on, that was some pretty ridiculous cherrypicking and hyping of emails he was doing at the GOT podcast.

"Listen to that retarded sexist moron." Reads some dumb email.

"Now listen to what is probably the smartest thing ever written by a human." Reads another dumb email from the opposite view.

No Stelios, why don't you come on!

I don't know what else to tell you mate, a lot of the time that stuff from Dave comes across as very much tongue-in-cheek and just part of the fun to me. I can forgive Dave a lot just because he's pretty much the least self-important commentator out there and he's always more than happy to laugh at himself when Adam or Devindra or a well-worded email (or superdirector Rian Johnson for that matter) takes the piss out of him.

AWell, agree to disagree.

I totally get not liking HDTGM, but I guess it's like a lot of other shows.  You have to sort of gel to the characters and the interplay to like it.  'Gull fight at the dump' is brilliant.  I do kinda like that mood sometimes though, like being in a booth in the cafe with your friends.  But it being often an unstructured mess, jumping all over in the film from the start does make me shake my head a lot though too.  I'm just on the letting it slide side.  I have to keep listening for the day June woman's up and puts Bride Wars in there anyway.

The Flop House is sounding cool though.

Anyway, tangentially; I remember looking at the AV club's podcast list last year and noticing something.  Something they expressed nicely, in some blog post I think, 'Too many comedy podcasts?'.  Damn right.  Call me dull but the lists just looked exhausting, even if they were good.  There was some main hits like Maron and This American Life and then nine or ten different comedy podcasts on each staff pick.  Threads like this around the web are similar.

It's nice to know about, but there's a hell of a lot of them.  It's hard to even get recs since you're wading through a lot of hit and miss stuff trying to get a feel for it.  It starts to become work pretty fast I find (and I don't really have the time.  And if I don't have the time, how people with real jobs and families would do I don't know).  That's the embarrassment of riches that is the internet I guess.

So, adding to y'all's listening work load,  a list.

This American Life:  yeah yeah

Radiolab:  yeah yeah 2. Does not get nearly enough credit though.  Its mad production alone is worth it.  Oozes effort and artistry from every pore.

Monster Talk:  at last a podcast with decent theme music.  Irregularly scheduled cryptozoology podcast.  Lots of Bigfoot, ghosts, chupacabra etc etc.  Cheap and with variable audio quality, but the content is frequently great.  Blake Smith, the host, is fun and they get a lot of interesting guests from investigators to folklore academics.  The ones with Prof. Ken Feder are pretty funny (Fe Fi Fo Fum , Ancient Alien Astronauts) and the background to A Haunting in Connecticut episode.  Well worth a dig.

Star Talk Radio:  Another one with decent theme music.  Neil Degrass Tyson in conversation with various people makes it at least 50% awesome every single time.  Can't really miss with that guy. The live shows ('at the Bell house' etc) are well worth it.

Skeptics guide to the Universe:  The week in science, good and bad, with the Brothers Novella, Rebecca Watson etc

Reasonable Doubts: If you're after laughs you really need some heavy duty philosophy and comparative theology!  ok maybe not.  But I like it.  Beats reading about it for sure. (content split over several blogs.  Huge list of their eps over here )

Oh No! it's Ross and Carrie:  Sort of skeptical Jackass I guess.  These two subject themselves to alternative medicine and road test religions for your amusement. Interesting stuff.

I'm a regular for other stuff like Kermode and sometimes The Indoor Kids, even though it prods my PC rage nerve with all the console talk some times. Good to see Idle Thumbs semi-back too.  I'm also into Movie Moan now just for a bit of home town love.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzman View Post

I totally get not liking HDTGM, but I guess it's like a lot of other shows.  You have to sort of gel to the characters and the interplay to like it.  'Gull fight at the dump' is brilliant.  I do kinda like that mood sometimes though, like being in a booth in the cafe with your friends.  But it being often an unstructured mess, jumping all over in the film from the start does make me shake my head a lot though too.  I'm just on the letting it slide side.  I have to keep listening for the day June woman's up and puts Bride Wars in there anyway.

The Flop House is sounding cool though.

Anyway, tangentially; I remember looking at the AV club's podcast list last year and noticing something.  Something they expressed nicely, in some blog post I think, 'Too many comedy podcasts?'.  Damn right.  Call me dull but the lists just looked exhausting, even if they were good.  There was some main hits like Maron and This American Life and then nine or ten different comedy podcasts on each staff pick.  Threads like this around the web are similar.

It's nice to know about, but there's a hell of a lot of them.  It's hard to even get recs since you're wading through a lot of hit and miss stuff trying to get a feel for it.  It starts to become work pretty fast I find (and I don't really have the time.  And if I don't have the time, how people with real jobs and families would do I don't know).  That's the embarrassment of riches that is the internet I guess.

If Bride Wars ever gets featured on HDTGM I'm in. And I've heard from several peeps what Clever said about the Director-centric episodes being a respite from the regular shriek-off.

I listen to a shitload of them because I'm a builder who works by myself a good amount of the time and I have a fancy set of earmuffs through which I can pump audio directly into my brain. I listen while driving and washing dishes and mowing lawns and chopping firewood and killing orcs and all that chores malarky too. But I get what you're saying about finding the gold from out of the pile of whatever types of piles you find gold in. Some shows don't even give up the goods first time round but if you give them two or three shots you find they grow from unremarkable weeds into beautiful princesses.

Wait, I think I just lost track of my podcast metaphors.

Quote:

Well, agree to disagree.

What, like adults?

How is such a thing even possible?

HDTGM does get screechy, but to me it sounds like they are having a lot of fun. Like the cafe booth analogy, a cafe where milkshakes have no colories and chili-dogs actually taste as good as they sound.

Will say one thing though: June Raefel: does not belong on the show. Every single thing she tries to point out as a plot-hole or bad decision turns out to be a failure to get the movie. I am sure there are many, many talented people like her in Hollywood. People who get work but don't really understand movies on a deeper level, but she comes off as kind of dumb.

Jason is quick with the dick jokes but his real understanding  of geek-culture and  how movies work as well as his wilingness to go for the 'deep-cut' jokes are welcome.

I met and talked with Chris Hardwick this weekend at Dragon*Con.  Squee!  He said he was there "checking it out".  I believe Chris Gore got him to come out.  I attended mostly the stuff on the podcast track--NSFW was great (and also simulcast on the internet), and in the con wrap-up for the track, they mentioned that they will probably have some Nerdist tracks in 2013.  They said no one knew he was here until he showed up, so there was no time/space to give him.  It was wild--I was walking out of the exhibitor hall and actually noticed Chloe Dykstra (his girlfriend) first.  I saw her and thought, "Boy she looks like Chloe Dykstra," and then looked again, and was like, "Hey, that IS Chloe Dykstra!" and then looked at the guy with her and immediately went right back into the hall and said, "Chris!"  They stopped, he shook my hand, and we talked for about 5 minutes.  I guess they had just gotten there that day, as I explained some of the hotels to him, where all the vendor halls were, etc.  Surprisingly, no one approached us while we stood there at the entrance speaking.  I saw him about 20 minutes later when I was waiting for my wife to go eat dinner--when I told her I saw him, she spent the rest of the night trying to find him.  I also told him to tell Matt Mira that there's at least one of us out there that doesn't want to say, "FUCK YOU MATT MIRA!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.cyclops View Post

HDTGM does get screechy, but to me it sounds like they are having a lot of fun. Like the cafe booth analogy, a cafe where milkshakes have no colories and chili-dogs actually taste as good as they sound.

Will say one thing though: June Raefel: does not belong on the show. Every single thing she tries to point out as a plot-hole or bad decision turns out to be a failure to get the movie. I am sure there are many, many talented people like her in Hollywood. People who get work but don't really understand movies on a deeper level, but she comes off as kind of dumb.

Jason is quick with the dick jokes but his real understanding  of geek-culture and  how movies work as well as his wilingness to go for the 'deep-cut' jokes are welcome.

I love the screechy aspect of HDTGM, it reminds me of my family, if only we talked about movies.

The Kevin Smith one I couldn't make it through, I'm done with his schtick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBananaGrabber View Post

I love the screechy aspect of HDTGM, it reminds me of my family, if only we talked about movies.

The Kevin Smith one I couldn't make it through, I'm done with his schtick.

I agree, especially since he trots out the Giant Spider story like a beaten horse so many times already.

I kinda am too--I'm still subscribed to Smodcast, but I haven't listened to it in months.  And I got aggravated when he started S.I.R. and then almost immediately after began fucking with the schedule he had set up, and then actually took off a show I liked.  So I quit listening for the most part.

All right, I'm going to self-pimp a bit here, so apologies in advance, but ...

I started a podcast. I'm doing it via Cult Spark, my little film/TV/videogame site, and I've got CHUD writer extraordinaire Tim Kelly (the guy who was nice enough to get me the gig doing TV episode reviews here) and a couple of former GUY.com writers (Terrence Aybar and Stew Smith) onboard as my co-conspirators. The four of us recorded our first episode this week, and it went live today. You can find it RIGHT HERE.

We spend the hour talking about the Marvel movieverse, the potential Dark Tower movie adaptation and fall flicks we're looking forward to. (That should give you some idea of the kinds of things we'll be tackling. The content should be right up any CHUD reader's alley.) If anyone here wants to give it a listen, I'd be appreciative of any feedback offered. All of us have guested on podcasts before, but none of us have attempted to build one from scratch. Suffice to say, it's a work in progress.

Still, I thought you guys you guys might be interested, and I thought any constructive criticism offered could help make future installments all the more entertaining.

Any of y'all been listening to Harmontown, by THE DAN HARMON?!?!?! You know, the guy who's famous for making Heat Vision and Jack?

He's had this live stage show for a while and back in July he started recording them and releasing them on iTunes (don't know if you can download them anywhere else). He's up to episode nine and they range from about 70 to 90 minutes. You may not have Community anymore but you do got Harmontown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zak chase View Post

All right, I'm going to self-pimp a bit here, so apologies in advance, but ...

I started a podcast. I'm doing it via Cult Spark, my little film/TV/videogame site, and I've got CHUD writer extraordinaire Tim Kelly (the guy who was nice enough to get me the gig doing TV episode reviews here) and a couple of former GUY.com writers (Terrence Aybar and Stew Smith) onboard as my co-conspirators. The four of us recorded our first episode this week, and it went live today. You can find it RIGHT HERE.

We spend the hour talking about the Marvel movieverse, the potential Dark Tower movie adaptation and fall flicks we're looking forward to. (That should give you some idea of the kinds of things we'll be tackling. The content should be right up any CHUD reader's alley.) If anyone here wants to give it a listen, I'd be appreciative of any feedback offered. All of us have guested on podcasts before, but none of us have attempted to build one from scratch. Suffice to say, it's a work in progress.

Still, I thought you guys you guys might be interested, and I thought any constructive criticism offered could help make future installments all the more entertaining.

You son of a bitch using this sacred thread for self promotion.

Oh who am I kidding, I can't stay mad at you Zak Chase. I'll give it a shot for shizzle.

AI must concur, Harmontown is phenomenal.
Quote:

You son of a bitch using this sacred thread for self promotion.

Oh who am I kidding, I can't stay mad at you Zak Chase. I'll give it a shot for shizzle.

That's all we ask! Well, that and that you tell us what we're doing wrong and/or could improve on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zak chase View Post

That's all we ask! Well, that and that you tell us what we're doing wrong and/or could improve on!

I thought it was good Bob. Entertaining opinions, some fun disagreements and a good relaxed but solid pace and momentum to the conversation.  the main thing to improve is the sound quality. Tim's audio sounded like he was too far from the mic, which is usually why someone has that much echo bouncing around their channel. Either that or he was recording on the john. Terrence and Stew just sound like they might need pop guards.

I don't listen to Kevin Smith's "Fatman on Batman" unless it's someone I'm particularly interested in, but I'm listening to his interview with Adam West right now, and it's absolutely fantastic. West is an absolute gem, just hilarious and self-effacing and every bit as awesome as you would want him to be.

Quote:
I thought it was good Bob. Entertaining opinions, some fun disagreements and a good relaxed but solid pace and momentum to the conversation.  the main thing to improve is the sound quality. Tim's audio sounded like he was too far from the mic, which is usually why someone has that much echo bouncing around their channel. Either that or he was recording on the john. Terrence and Stew just sound like they might need pop guards.

I'm incredibly appreciative that you took the time to listen, Bucho. My eternal thanks.

And I'm glad you thought the conversation was worth your time. Makes me feel like we're on the right track. As for the tech/sound stuff -- yeah, we're working on it. Tim's "echo" is an issue we're aware of, and I'm supposed to troubleshoot that with him before we record the next episode. I'll mention the pop guard thing to Terrence and Stew. Maybe they'll want to grab one off of Amazon. Truth be told, I'm not using one either, but I bought a fancy, somewhat pricey microphone to record this thing, so it may just handle the hard consonants a little better.

The other thing that bothers me is the way the audio as a whole seems to drop when too many people are talking (or laughing) at once. But I think that's a Skype issue and something we're just going to have to deal with. (The four of us are in four different parts of the country!) Ideally, we don't want people talking over each other anyway.

Anyone else hear Tom Hanks and Joseph Gordon-Levitt guesting on The Nerdist over the last couple of weeks. The JGL episode is kind of flat until about 20 minutes in but then it picks up and gets good. The Hanks episode is typically Hanksian gold.

http://www.nerdist.com/2012/10/nerdist-p...on-levitt/

http://www.nerdist.com/2012/10/nerdist-p...tom-hanks/

The Hanks episode is absolutely fantastic. When he started doing "Storage Wars" impressions, I completely lost it. Also, the Willie Mays commercial ("don' touch them") seriously needs to become a meme.

The Hanks episode was fantastic. My only gripe with The Nerdist is they never, ever introduce the regulars. I know Hardwick's voice, but there are a number of other folks who seem to be on the podcast with varying regularity, but they're never named or introduced. I find that sort of assumed myopia annoying.

~~~~~~

On the general topic of podcasts, I don't know if Radiolab and This American Life spoiled me, but I can't stand listening to podcasts with a lot of echo or where it sounds like there's one mike and they're in a closet. I know it's snobby and unrealistic to require solid sound production from folks, but it almost hurts my ears when things sound tinny or hollow.

My typical roster goes like that:

Comedy:

WTF with Marc Maron. Though grouped in my list with the comedy stuff it is not a "funny" podcast. It is however absolutely essential to lovers of stand-up and improv. There was this guy that does a blog about stand-up as a guest and the stories were fucking fascinating.

Comedy Bang Bang with The Choctaw. At times it gets a bit too wacky but it has the most laughs per episode. Auckerman is of course funny as hell but it's the guests that really kill. Paul F. Tompkins as Gary Marshal is downright genius and the last he was he had great support by Gillian Jacobs. And whenever Jessica St. Clair does Marissa Wompler I love it even more. The episode with her and Rob Cordry had me howling.

Harmontown. With Dan Harmon, surprisingly. Unmissable and by far the nerdiest of the three.

Video Games:

The Giant Bombcast. Super long, funny and occasionally hilarious. Vinny has actual comedic chops and Jeff Gerstmann is a freak of nature when it comes to knowing about video games. The guy is seriously scary sometimes.

Idle Thumbs. One of the most in depth, abstract and game theory heavy gaming podcast. It actually changed the way I'm viewing and playing games. All this of course interspersed with some of the weirdest jokes this side of Monty Python. Horsebag.

Three Moves Ahead. Again another podcast with really deep discussion about games. Strategy games though, so if you don't like the genre it might be difficult to follow. The two episodes about X-COM were brilliant.

Other:

Firewall and Iceberg with Feinberg and Sepinwall. Really, really good discussion about TV stuff. A bit too much reality TV but the excellent timestamping takes care of that.

Dan Carlin's Hardcore History podcast. Exhaustively in-depth history podcast. It's not on very often but when it's on I drop everything else I'm listening to until I'm done with it. His multipart podcasts are exceptional. The Fall Of The Republic, Ghosts Of The Ostfront and the recent one The Wrath Of The Khans are as good as any history book I have ever read.

Of course being a heavy commuter I listen to all sorts of other stuff but there few are my golden standards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelM View Post

The Hanks episode was fantastic. My only gripe with The Nerdist is they never, ever introduce the regulars. I know Hardwick's voice, but there are a number of other folks who seem to be on the podcast with varying regularity, but they're never named or introduced. I find that sort of assumed myopia annoying.

~~~~~~

On the general topic of podcasts, I don't know if Radiolab and This American Life spoiled me, but I can't stand listening to podcasts with a lot of echo or where it sounds like there's one mike and they're in a closet. I know it's snobby and unrealistic to require solid sound production from folks, but it almost hurts my ears when things sound tinny or hollow.

I'm with you on both of those things.

Quote:

Dan Carlin's Hardcore History podcast. Exhaustively in-depth history podcast. It's not on very often but when it's on I drop everything else I'm listening to until I'm done with it. His multipart podcasts are exceptional. The Fall Of The Republic, Ghosts Of The Ostfront and the recent one The Wrath Of The Khans are as good as any history book I have ever read.

Of course being a heavy commuter I listen to all sorts of other stuff but there few are my golden standards.

Just wanted to co-sign Hardcore History, Carlin has a way of making his subjects seem exciting and INTENSE that is without peer. I'm reasonably fond of his political podcast too, Common Sense, sort've a left-libertarian kinda thing. I enjoy listening to that one and Douglas Lain's Diet Soap for my fix of fringe* politics podcasting.

* loaded term alert

Martin Scorsese on Soundtracks in Movies and His Life. Jack Black on Prayer, Video Games, and Satanic Rock. Muhammad Ali in a Lost Interview from 1966. Christina Ricci at 18 on Anorexia and Other Taboo Subjects. Thom Yorke on Wankers & Confronting Who You Are. Tim Gunn on His FBI Agent Father.

There's this show called Blank on Blank which takes the bits of interviews you weren’t meant to hear and lets you hear them. They're all fairly short - between 5 and 8 minutes - but there are some people you might have heard of and might be interested in hearing from who turn up.

Here's the rss if that's how you roll, or you can get it on iTunes if that is the mode in which you prefer to roll.

Anyone listen to Alec Baldwin's podcast? I haven't, but have heard good things about it.

Also, for any wannabe or actual writers here at CHUD, there's a pretty good podcast called Writing Excuses, hosted by a small group of published and successful authors (fantasy author Brandon Sanderson is one of them).  The good side of the podcast is that the advice is usually very practical and meaningful for any writer, no matter what level you're at, and they don't talk as if there's only one way to skin the literary cat. (Sanderson is a publishing machine, putting out at least one significantly-sized fantasy novel a year and they sell well. I don't think he's that great of a writer, but he's successful and disciplined, and those are nothing to sneeze at in the publishing world.) Also a high point: they're short. 15 minutes, tops, so they don't overwhelm you and they don't spend a lot of time talk abstract writing theory.

The down side is the sound quality is often shitty - at least it is when I'm listening to the podcast via my car stereo on my commute from work. If the quality of the actual cast wasn't so good, I would have stopped listening after the first one.

Any Thrilling Adventure Hour fans should be aware that their Kickstarter campaign is wrapping up in a couple of days. A graphic novel and series of online shorts are funded, but they are trying to get enough to also fund a concert film.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tah/...el-and-bey

If you aren't listening to Harmontown, you're missing the funniest podcast out there, and if you haven't heard the Halloween episode which is almost entirely dedicated to Labyrinth, you're missing the funniest Harmontown episode. Can't recommend enough.

A[quote name="MichaelM" url="/community/t/129328/podcasts-and-internet-talk-shows/100#post_3414490"]Anyone listen to Alec Baldwin's podcast? I haven't, but have heard good things about it.

[/quote]

I listened to Michael Douglas interview. A good listen. Interesting that he loves making movies but hardly ever watches them as 'you basically know what's going to happen'. I disagree, but I see his point, if you look at the average rom-com.

Also loved hearing him talk about his dad.