Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Our thread about PODCASTS
A[quote name="Arjen Rudd" url="/community/t/129328/podcasts-and-internet-talk-shows/100#post_3424787"]If you aren't listening to Harmontown, you're missing the funniest podcast out there, and if you haven't heard the Halloween episode which is almost entirely dedicated to Labyrinth, you're missing the funniest Harmontown episode. Can't recommend enough.
[/quote]

Seconded

I was turned on to Harmontown after Gregg Proops mentioned the podcast on his Smartest Man in the Word podcast. Specifically he mentioned that he had to play Dungeons & Dragons on Harmontown and he named his Unicorn character Tylenol With Codeine.

I jumped over to hear that episode and was immediately drawn in.

Loved how he ripped Labyrinth a new one. God I loved that movie as a kid and still do, but every complaint he leveled at it was dead on. I was listening to it when working out and had to surpress a laugh every time he yelled "Its not fair!" By the end I nearly burst a spleen.

Dan Harmon rips LABYRINTH a new one? This I must hear.

(Love Harmon. Have never, ever understood the love LABYRINTH receives.)

(Post Script: Actually, Harmon himself has come across to me as brilliant but assholish. So, I guess let me say I love his writing and observations. No idea about him as a person. So I'll listen to the podcast with a lot of curiosity.)

It's fucking great.

The Labyrinth episode is entitled A Four Day March To the Butt's Expanse, but you could probably get hooked off of any of them.

I dunno, Harmontown was kinda one step too far for me in the self-indulgence stakes (and I can deal with Marc Maron). Dude's rants about pop culture that he dislikes always have this "AM I THE ONLY ONE???" frustratedness about them too which, in our interweb era, really grates.

Have been really enjoying "The Fogelnest Files" on Earwolf. Fogelnest gathers some obscure clips around a certain topic and discusses them with other comics - it works surprisingly well, considering it's an audio podcast based around video content! Worth it both for the clips themselves and for the chatter imo. The latest episode - about teen stuff - was a dud, but the ones on Punk (with Chris Gethard and Julie Klausner!), politics (DC Pierson) and MTV are all gold.

Let it be noted that Alec Baldwin is fucking insane.

I just discovered the Kevin Pollak chat show.  It's on youtube or you can download the audio mp3s here:

http://www.kevinpollakschatshow.com/archive_audio/

Halfway through the Shawn Ryan episode and it's an interesting listen. He talks about the horrible LAST RESORT timeslot, the genesis of THE SHIELD and TV in general.  He's also done, amongst others, Bob Odendirk, Michael Chiklis, Peter Weller, Alison Brie and without a doubt the clincher, LeVar Burton.

I know it's one of nooj's favorites, and there have been some great episodes, but The Nerdist's sound quality is pushing me to be on the fence. So many of the episodes seem to be them with a single mike in a large, echoing room. It gets hard to distinguish voices, and the sound quality is often pretty bad.

Said it before, but shows like Radiolab and This American Life have spoiled me. I'd like for participants to at least each be speaking into a dedicated mike.

Pardon me while I go yell at some kids to GET OFF MY LAWN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelM View Post

I know it's one of nooj's favorites, and there have been some great episodes, but The Nerdist's sound quality is pushing me to be on the fence. So many of the episodes seem to be them with a single mike in a large, echoing room. It gets hard to distinguish voices, and the sound quality is often pretty bad.

I've never had any real audio complaints or problems distinguishing voices on Nerdist, unless it's like a Con panel or something (where sound quality wildly varies). It is definitely a podcast where you have to pick and choose though. It really lives and dies by the quality of its guest. There are plenty of easily dismissed episodes, but then there are a bunch that are among my all-time favorite podcast episodes.

A[quote name="MichaelM" url="/community/t/129328/podcasts-and-internet-talk-shows/100#post_3428471"]I know it's one of nooj's favorites, and there have been some great episodes, but The Nerdist's sound quality is pushing me to be on the fence. So many of the episodes seem to be them with a single mike in a large, echoing room. It gets hard to distinguish voices, and the sound quality is often pretty bad.

Said it before, but shows like Radiolab and This American Life have spoiled me. I'd like for participants to at least each be speaking into a dedicated mike.

[/quote]

I never really noticed this before, but yeah you're right.

The nerdist shows that are with an audience are really hard to follow sometimes. I normally wouldn't complain but Doug Benson pretty much only does live shows on Doug Loves Movies and they on the whole have consistently better audio than the nerdist live shows.

I gave Nerdist a few tries, but every episode I DLed just ended up being them fawning at their guest and asking them to talk more about how cool they are. I'm not saying that their enthusiasm isn't genuine, and I understand Hardwick (whom I like in other stuff) saying that he only invites people on whom he's a fan of, but I think that even if you're interviewing your idols having a bit of a critical mind is a plus.

Props to Nerdist Industries, though: Thrilling Adventure Hour and Cashing In With T.J. MIller are fab.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielRoffle View Post

I gave Nerdist a few tries, but every episode I DLed just ended up being them fawning at their guest and asking them to talk more about how cool they are. I'm not saying that their enthusiasm isn't genuine, and I understand Hardwick (whom I like in other stuff) saying that he only invites people on whom he's a fan of, but I think that even if you're interviewing your idols having a bit of a critical mind is a plus.

Props to Nerdist Industries, though: Thrilling Adventure Hour and Cashing In With T.J. MIller are fab.

To force a dopey analogy, if podcasts were movies then The Nerdist is a saccharine romcom. Hardwick's suffocating obsequiousness is such a turnoff at times I can't stand him, but it's true that when they get a perfect, engaging guest like Henry Rollins or Tom Hanks it's still well worth a listen.

My favourite show from Nerdist Industries is Indoor Kids, their video games show. Kumail and Emily are so damn good that even though I haven't played video games since GTA Vice City I still enjoy listening to their show.

Yeah, the Tom Hanks episode was fucking amazing. As was the episode with the voice talent guys. The rest haven't blown me away, though Andrew Lincoln's turn as a guest solidified my like for his character on WALKING DEAD.

Oh yeah I like Kumail whenever he shows up in things, should give Indoor Kids a go.

It's funny how incestous the comedy podcast scene is, to the extent that I get suspicious about whether there's beefs/personal dislikes when I notice that someone has never been invited to a certain podcast.

From NDT Star Talk podcast

The Best of Both Worlds

Get the best of both worlds when Neil deGrasse Tyson interviews Star Trek: The Next Generation stars LeVar Burton (Geordi La Forge) and Brent Spiner (Lt. Commander Data) at San Diego Comic-Con 2012.

ABrian Posehn and pals play Dungeons & Dragons in Nerd Poker over at Earwolf. I've never role-played in my life but I love Posehn and the first episode has me hooked.

[quote name="VTRan" url="/community/t/129328/podcasts-and-internet-talk-shows/100#post_3434925"]From NDT Star Talk podcast ...[/quote]

Did you ever listen to Make It So? Based in the north of England so they never interviewed stars but they had a very entertaining show dryly (and lovingly) taking the piss out of all things Trek.

[quote name="DanielRoffle" url="/community/t/129328/podcasts-and-internet-talk-shows/100#post_3429362"]Oh yeah I like Kumail whenever he shows up in things, should give Indoor Kids a go.

It's funny how incestous the comedy podcast scene is, to the extent that I get suspicious about whether there's beefs/personal dislikes when I notice that someone has never been invited to a certain podcast.
[/quote]

Kumail's always gold.

The only real beef I know of is between Paul F Tompkins and Tom Sharplilng but I don't know a lot of the details. And if you listened to WTF this week apparently Joe Rogan has a problem with Jay Mohr but it's a one-way deal. As with most Rogan things it's about Mohr getting tagged as a joke-stealer.

It's not exactly soap opera stuff but it is kind of funny.

A lot of people hate Mohr, for a variety of reasons. I mean to listen to that WTF, but the joke stealing beef is apparently legit.

After finding the Flop House, How Did This Get Made seems so minor and juvenile. Which is bizarre, considering they're both bad movie podcasts.

A[quote name="Bucho" url="/community/t/129328/podcasts-and-internet-talk-shows/100#post_3437114"]Brian Posehn and pals play Dungeons & Dragons in Nerd Poker over at Earwolf. I've never role-played in my life but I love Posehn and the first episode has me hooked.[/quote]

Thanks for pointing this out, I've been waiting for it to go up ever since I heard of it in September.

[quote name="Arjen Rudd" url="/community/t/129328/podcasts-and-internet-talk-shows/100#post_3437121"]A lot of people hate Mohr, for a variety of reasons. I mean to listen to that WTF, but the joke stealing beef is apparently legit.
[/quote]

I've never liked Mohr and I think it is because my first exposure to him was in Jerry Maguire and ever since seeing that film my first reaction to Mohr is to instantly hate him whenever I see him since he played the asshole jerk role so well in that movie.

Dumb I know, but it is strange how much an effect first impressions have in shaping your view of someone you'll never get to know in person.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelM View Post

Perhaps my standards for podcasts is lower, but I'm pretty forgiving of them as long as I can understand what's being said.  Hardwick seems to get these conversations in various places wherever he can manage it (hence the consistent output).

Now if a professionally produced show like Radiolab, This American Life, To The Best of Our Knowledge, and On the Media sounded like that...

A[quote name="Arjen Rudd" url="/community/t/129328/podcasts-and-internet-talk-shows/100#post_3437121"]A lot of people hate Mohr, for a variety of reasons. I mean to listen to that WTF, but the joke stealing beef is apparently legit.

After finding the Flop House, How Did This Get Made seems so minor and juvenile. Which is bizarre, considering they're both bad movie podcasts.[/quote]

I'm probably just repeating myself but as much as I like the peeps from How Did This Get Made when they guest on other shows I just can't listen to that one where they're all together. I think the shallowness wouldn't bug so much if it wasn't so shrill. As much as Eliot has one of those nerd voices that could get annoying in large doses he and the other two are hilarious mofos so The Flop House is far more listenable.

Funny thing for me about hearing Jay Mohr on WTF was the coincidence that I had just listened to the Mohr Stories episode with Bert Kreisher the day before. I'd picked it at random too, just one selection from Mohr's 100+ episodes, and it happened to be that one, and in it you can hear Kreisher completely backing up, with zero ambiguity, the story Jay told on WTF. Jay didn't "steal" Kreisher's Tracy Morgan story, Kreisher told him to take it.

I haven't listened to the Rogan episode with Bert yet to see it from that perspective, and you can't help but feel that the stealing Jay has admitted to makes it hard to be sympathetic to him, especially for a crusader like Joe Rogan, who has a zero tolerance policy on joke-stealing. I really hope Joe finally does have Jay on his show to hash it out mano a mano.

[quote name="Tim K" url="/community/t/129328/podcasts-and-internet-talk-shows/100#post_3437349"]
Thanks for pointing this out, I've been waiting for it to go up ever since I heard of it in September.[/quote]

The second ep had some loss of momentum but the first had built up so much goodwill for me that I went with it. I really like everyone in that group Posehn's put together.

Agree with everyone that The Flop House beats the hell out of How Did This Get Made. It's funny because, even though both shows are recorded by professionals, a big part of what makes me enjoy Flop House is in the "just three friends talking" vibe and the silly digressions and the sense of fun...it's not too far from The CHUD Show in that respect.  How Did This Get Made, meanwhile, tries for extreme slickness and comes off a bit Morning Zoo in the process. That being said, I do enjoy HDTGM as well - especially the Amazon reviews. But a new Flop House is always a special event for me,

Yeah, it's kind of hilarious to hear them back to back. Flop House seems downright literary in comparison.

I did not like the first episode of Nerd Poker. I'm not into D&D myself, but I've really enjoyed the recent D&D stuff on Harmontown, and even the Penny Arcade sessions with Wil Wheaton. It seems like a perfect structure for improv comedy in podcast form. But Nerd Poker felt like I was listening to an actual D&D session, which as I mentioned, I don't find especially fun. I wish there were more comics involved. But maybe it's just not for me.

Although if you haven't heard those Penny Arcade ones, I highly recommend. They're kind of a pain in the ass to find though.

AYeah, I was underwhelmed by the first episode of Nerd Poker as well. It seems to me that most of the podcasts that rely on improv comedy work better when there is an audience to bounce jokes off of. A live audience also keeps the mumbling and in-jokes to a minmum.

Is the Penny Arcade stuff mixed into the Wizards of the Coast Podcast?

Just want to be sure I've got the right one.

Oh and I forgot to post this useful website: The BBC have just started to open up their audio and video archives for free to the internet public (though their comedy selection is lacking right at the moment). I only wish it was downloadable, because I'd like to listen to some of these programs (like the history of Dr. Who) while away from my computer.
AIf you go through iTunes, yeah. I believe there's sites you can direct download them from.
AThe Penny Arcade Wil Weaton DnD business can be easily hunted from here - http://www.wizards.com/dnd/podcasts.aspx.

I haven't listened to more than five minutes yet but I'm a fan of the PA guys so I plan to.

[quote name="Arjen Rudd" url="/community/t/129328/podcasts-and-internet-talk-shows/100#post_3437716"]I did not like the first episode of Nerd Poker. I'm not into D&D myself, but I've really enjoyed the recent D&D stuff on Harmontown, and even the Penny Arcade sessions with Wil Wheaton. It seems like a perfect structure for improv comedy in podcast form. But Nerd Poker felt like I was listening to an actual D&D session, which as I mentioned, I don't find especially fun. I wish there were more comics involved. But maybe it's just not for me.[/quote]

That's funny (ha-ha) you say that because the DnD stuff has me stalled on Harmontown. I thought the character-creation episode was fun but then Episode 8, where they actually start the quest, is about 97 HOURS of tedious puzzle-solving horseshit with the sole purpose of opening a bunch of doors. "I want to try to stop the pendulum. Lets roll." It dragged me to hell. It made me think the last thing I'd ever want to do was get into role-palying. It also made me think the second last thing I'd ever want to do is continue listening to Harmontown.

One of the things that got me about Nerd Poker, apart from my Posehn-love, was actually that it made me realise the Harmontown DM was just doing a horrendous job and bogging shit down with suffocating quest cliches, because Sark from Nerd Poker made it not seem like torture. Even the fact that Nerd Poker starts on a boat instead of in a forrest or cave/tunnel system or actual dungeon like every fantasy story quest ever feels wildly fresh to me. I love boats. I didn't think there was any in-jokes or mumbling either. I did think the second episode dragged quite a bit when they took about 26 minutes to decide to move out from the position in which they started the episode. I could have kissed Sark when he introduced the timer to hurry them up and it recovered fairly well after that.

Speaking of mumbling though, if you don't like the mumbling and you need perfect sound quality steer clear of the Penny Arcade DnD series.
AHmm, I couldn't disagree more, I guess because on Harmontown, they're not really telling a story. Their characters are just funny names for the host personalities, and its much more a comedy performance art piece about narrative than an actual narrative or D&D game.
ABucho check out Harmontown episode 11, that is when they really hit the D&D stride for me.

Not having listened to either Posehn's thing or the Harmontown D&D eps, I have to say that my nerdy self would actually prefer a straightforward gaming session 'cast than something more outright comedic - comedy in fantasy settings 80% of the time just means sub-Pratchett bullshit (and I like Pratchett well enough, but he's written dozens and dozens of books and I don't think there's a need for anyone else to explore that particular vein).

AI listened to two eps of the Penny Arcade first series (with the great Scott Kurtz instead of Wil Weaton) and I have to say it's really only for hardcore fans. The sound is pretty bad and the humour is very particular and even though they stick pretty hard to the gameplay without too much tangenting there are sections where it drags. I think it's fair to say there's an art to presenting this stuff in audio form and at the start at least the Penny Arcadians didn't have it down.

(Speaking of Scott Kurtz, did any of y'all ever watch his short web series? I loved it - http://penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/kri...-kris-show)

[quote name="Arjen Rudd" url="/community/t/129328/podcasts-and-internet-talk-shows/100#post_3438457"]Hmm, I couldn't disagree more, I guess because on Harmontown, they're not really telling a story. Their characters are just funny names for the host personalities, and its much more a comedy performance art piece about narrative than an actual narrative or D&D game.[/quote]

I see.

Then this is where I must deploy the extreeeeeeeeeeeeemely witty, devastatingly incisive, savagely biting and Wilde-esque observation that a comedy performance art piece would probably be more effective if it had more than two comedic moments in 37 minutes.

A-haw, haw, and indeed, haw.

That's right Harmon you heard me! I'm mad atcha for what you put me through!!!

To be straight about it though, I do give someone completely lovable and chill like Posehn more slack than a frequently grating sonofabitch like Harmon. I'm not saying anything new if I say he's his own worst enemy in so many ways. I'm a fan because as grating as he is it's usually a wildly compelling kind of grating - this ranting, spluttering buffoon who just happens to be spouting something approximating genius. During that fateful episode 8 though, the genius was in chronically short supply as he handed far too much of the command of his ship over to a mostly clueless DM.

[quote name="Tim K" url="/community/t/129328/podcasts-and-internet-talk-shows/100#post_3438461"]Bucho check out Harmontown episode 11, that is when they really hit the D&D stride for me.[/quote]

So I should skip 9 and 10? Or just skip the DnD bits of 9 and 10? Or should I power through the DnD bits and take it like a man. Or a manatee.
A[quote name="Bucho" url="/community/t/129328/podcasts-and-internet-talk-shows/100#post_3438607"]
So I should skip 9 and 10? Or just skip the DnD bits of 9 and 10? Or should I power through the DnD bits and take it like a man. Or a manatee.[/quote]

Those are episodes are fine, by the second D&D session their dungeon master gets the hint and does away with excessive puzzling.

In the last couple of episodes the D&D has slowed down because Dan wanted to bring in a special guest to play a D&D role and this guest kept on getting delayed which forced the DM to try to stall the story for next week. So be aware of that, but it really isn't the DM's fault.

In fact the newest episode had no D&D in it at all because Dan admitted that it was his fault for stalling the game to wait for the special guest that never appeared. They were even discussing spinning off the D&D stuff to a separate show because Dan wants to do it as a web series with stop motion animation.
A[quote name="Tim K" url="/community/t/129328/podcasts-and-internet-talk-shows/100#post_3438616"]... Dan wants to do it as a web series with stop motion animation.[/quote]

There's that "approximating" genius I was talking about. I can't stay mad at that guy.

Malcolm Gladwell on Nerdist this week is well worth checking out. He has some fantastic stories about Kubrick, Sellers and Olivier. It's a really interesting interview. He tells a story about Sellers spontaneously improving Clouseau for 20 minutes at a dinner party to find a lady's lost earring. Amazing.

A....Malcolm McDowell?

I prefer to continue believing it was Malcolm Gladwell. Chris Hardwick was all "I loved The Tipping Point!" and Gladwell was all "fuck that, let's talk Kubrick".

I'm pretty bored with the AV Club's best podcasts of 2012 list - http://www.avclub.com/articles/the-best-...012,89885/ - which just feels like the same ol' usual suspects to me. Doug Loves Movies particuarly has been in a rut this year - the Miller/Garlin/Holmes ep was great, but Benson has been overloading his feed with boring mini-eps; don't really need to hear Graham Elwood beat some audience member at the Leonard Maltin Game in shitty audio quality. I also feel that MaximumFun has been unfairly snubbed - Jordan Jesse Go and Stop Podcasting Yourself are admitidely not much more than enjoyable background noise, but Judge John Hodgman is one of the cleverest, most well-constructed podcasts out there, and as far as general popcult shows go Bullseye is as great and versatile as they come. Come to think of it, mixing general interest podcasts like Pop Culture Happy Hour and Savage Love with comedy shows like Pod F. Tompkast and Comedy Bang Bang doesn't make much sense, either.

And Marc Maron is #1 again? I like the dude, and I know his show has a higher profile than almost anything else out there, but WTF rarely went beyond "pleasant" this year, and even the "Marc finds happiness" arc the review bigs up has been happening for a long time.

WTF is great. The episodes with other comedians, especially ones of equal status to Maron are downright obligatory for comedy nerds.

Comedy Bang Bang may be the funniest thing happening right now in any medium though. Any episode with either Jessica St. Claire, Paul F. Tompkins or James Adomian is pure gold.