Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Our thread about PODCASTS
I tried to listen to that Dennis Miller podcast and was shocked that it was basically him on the phone talking to a guy in a studio. It was terrible.

HDTGM is one of the podcasts I religiously listen to. I would listen to a podcast of Jason reading the phone book.
The RFK Tapes. After watching Bobbie Kennedy for President on Netflix (recommend) this is a brilliant companion piece. I have to say, the tapes of Sirhan Sirhan under hypnosis are absolutely haunting.
Anyone else listen to In The Dark? This season- about the six times Curtis Flowers has been brought to trial for the same crimes by the same prosecutor- is absolutely riveting and horrifying. It’ll make you want to burn everything down. In the Dark gets my vote for the best true crime podcast- it’s not a whodunnit, it’s a vital look at how the system fucks up and gets abused.
Yeah, Madeline Baron is the most low key firebrand. Her and the crew are throwing bombs with this stuff. The first series made policing in the US look like a joke (and made me think it makes a lot of sense that Americans are often obsessed with crime and self defense. People could get away with anything).

This one is more specific in that theme. It's perhaps a bit prejudiced of me but I wager that whole town only cares about the DA's polite good ol' boy charm and basically nothing else. If that good Christian man says someone is guilty, well that's all they need to hear. Those interfering city folk can keep throwing his case out for all kinds of malfeasance and it makes no difference. He's such a good, nice man!
(07-06-2018, 08:46 PM)Dent6084 Wrote: Anyone else listen to In The Dark? This season- about the six times Curtis Flowers has been brought to trial for the same crimes by the same prosecutor- is absolutely riveting and horrifying. It’ll make you want to burn everything down. In the Dark gets my vote for the best true crime podcast- it’s not a whodunnit, it’s a vital look at how the system fucks up and gets abused.

I am now. Holy fuck.
Finished the season last night. It's so goddamn great. And one of the things I really appreciate it is how much time it invests in showing how the work was done - e.g. the episode about looking back at the DA's old cases to discover how often he struck potential African-American jurors from the jury. They're not just randomly throwing bombs, they're doing their due diligence and following wherever it leads them, and then throwing the bombs.
(07-06-2018, 08:46 PM)Dent6084 Wrote: It’ll make you want to burn everything down.

Does it what.  Holy crap.  And I'm only up to Episode 4
This cunt

https://www.apmreports.org/story/2018/06...doug-evans

Rrrraaaaaage!
Tomorrow is the last episode of "season 2" of The Canon before it goes on hiatus. But I feel like with Amy now on Unspooled, this is actually her quietly letting the show die, which is something I've been suspecting for a while.
"I'd rather have hope...than nothing at all."
-Illyana Rasputin, X-Men: Omega #1

"But the public, knowing what it wanted, spinning happily, let the comic books survive."
-Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451

Twitter: @BartLBishop
I've wondered that as well. But from how she puts it, she's looking for a permanent co-host.

And no, it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if they tried weaseling Faraci back on (and they already did with the "Listener Call-In Show" from awhile back).

The real ending to Big...
Devin has a note on his website about how if he reaches 250 patrons he'd start podcasting again. I'm not sure if that refers to The Canon, but I wouldn't be surprised.

"But the public, knowing what it wanted, spinning happily, let the comic books survive."

Ah, so the attempted rehabilitation of Faraci continues, I see.

Not surprising.
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
I can't wait for season 3 of American Crime Story: The Attempted Rehabilitation of Faraci.

They'll probably make him too sympathetic!
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
Dan Fogler needs the work.
Sure but who will play the Harry Knowles-stand in who framed Devin from the start?

The real ending to Big...
After hearing Yeardley Smith on "I Was There Too" talk about her true crime podcast "Small Town Dicks", I started listening from the start and it's fascinating. Each episode (so far) is about a crime and they are interviewing the police, listening to audio tapes related to the case, and sometimes family of victims and perpetrators. It's led by two detectives that are twin brothers, Dan and Dave. They don't talk about where the crimes are taking place and they also change the names (or bleep them out), but you could probably figure out where/who these people were.
So, a whole bunch of my podcasts sort of went on hiatus for the next few months, which was weird. Small Town Dicks is done with Season 2, James Bonding has ended their Earwolf run, and I Was There Too apparently is also re-tooling. Supposedly Matt Gourley's wife is starting a new podcast network, and the thought is he will be bringing his podcast content there.
(08-01-2018, 02:27 PM)martianman Wrote: So, a whole bunch of my podcasts sort of went on hiatus for the next few months, which was weird. Small Town Dicks is done with Season 2, James Bonding has ended their Earwolf run, and I Was There Too apparently is also re-tooling. Supposedly Matt Gourley's wife is starting a new podcast network, and the thought is he will be bringing his podcast content there.

Did both Small Town Dicks seasons end in a satisfying way?
You know how you think you know movies?

Lately, the looooooooooooooooong-running Keith and The Girl podcast has been doing videos of a post-show game they made up called Silent Trailers where Chemda describes what she sees in a movie trailer and Keith and the guest try to guess which film it's from for points, and not only that, but YOU can play along and find out if you really do know movies or if your film knowledge is all hype. 

Just play the video and cover the trailer with either something leaned on your screen or a window you've resized to cover it to test what you'd score if you were in the room, and whether you really do know movies. 

Or don't, if you're scaaaaaaared.

I'm pretty late to the party, but We Hate Movies is consistently hilarious. My thanks to everyone that mentioned it in this thread, I'm really enjoying it.

RFK Tapes is quite good as well. I'm curious to see where they take the final few episodes, considering they don't (I'm assuming) have any conclusive proof of the wide-ranging conspiracy they've been discussing.
(08-01-2018, 03:39 PM)Bucho Wrote:
(08-01-2018, 02:27 PM)martianman Wrote: So, a whole bunch of my podcasts sort of went on hiatus for the next few months, which was weird. Small Town Dicks is done with Season 2, James Bonding has ended their Earwolf run, and I Was There Too apparently is also re-tooling. Supposedly Matt Gourley's wife is starting a new podcast network, and the thought is he will be bringing his podcast content there.

Did both Small Town Dicks seasons end in a satisfying way?

Well that was weird--I wrote out this whole response and it got zapped.

In short, yes. They had a 4-part episode end the first season, which revealed a dirty cop who was forcing at-risk women into sexual favors. The 2nd season ended with a 2-part episode where they arrested and imprisoned (after trial) the wrong two guys in a murder case. So both of them were about cops that made mistakes, which I found interesting. The 2nd season didn't seem as brutal overall as the first season was. Although there was one episode of child abuse that was rough to listen to--basically this guy "bought" a baby and raised her to be his slave. They busted the guy with her when she was like 13 years old.
Are y'All listening to Bundyville? It probably doesn't have a lot of new stuff if you followed the case closely, but it's how it is related that's the thing (related...yuk yuk).
It doesn't seem like it's going to be very long though so that could be disappointing. Seems like a mega deep dive on this subject is warranted.
I've been listening to THE REWATCHABLES, one of the many Bill Simmons' podcasts about movies.

I enjoy it. It's pleasant enough. But holy cow, does Bill Simmons' latent and often overt sexism seem to grate after a while.
home taping is killing music
The Franchise cannot be praises enough. Currently Daniel Erenberg and Henry Papale are covering the Beverly Hills Cop films. Insightful, hysterical, chock full of production facts and irreverent anecdotes. It’s my new favorite podcast.
The RFK Tapes kind of ended with a fizzle. Like the guys' book they were chronicling, it seemed to be 29 chapters of fairly compelling conspiracy rhetoric, and then a big "Nah" to end it.